The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
medfordcaniac7

Lavi must go

The last employee who tried making statements like that thought that we couldn't find out who they were. When they got fired three days later, they were pretty shocked. Please don't make me send this one in too.

Well that employee probably said it to someone in confidence and shouldn't have gone any farther than that. It's how it always happens. I want him to be wrong, but I can't help but wonder if he's right.

Well that employee probably said it to someone in confidence and shouldn't have gone any farther than that. It's how it always happens. I want him to be wrong, but I can't help but wonder if he's right.

Even more reasons to get fired. :)

The last employee who tried making statements like that thought that we couldn't find out who they were. When they got fired three days later, they were pretty shocked. Please don't make me send this one in too.

Even more reasons to get fired. :)

Hmmm, so maybe firing another arena employee will get things turned around...? :P

Lavi kind of flammed out after 2 seasons with the Islanders. He lost the locker room. He has been here a little longer and the teams inconsistancies the past two seasons don't look to good.

The big problem in Islander land is/was Wang & Yashin. Under Lavi's helm, he took the Islander's to the playoffs both seasons he was their coach. The Islander's hadn't been to the playoffs for seven years before that. My contention with the Isle's is that with Wang micromanaging that team, it's dicy at best. (Don't get me started on all the talent they drafted and traded, ugh!). Also, remember Lavi won a Calder Cup, too.

Well I can tell you this when he pulled Leighton last night he made it clear that he doesn't know whats going on . No one in the arena would have made that dumb move.

Yeah, hard to look back with 20/20 vision and say that was a smart move. But, when I saw Cam in net I thought that the goalie move might shake the team up a bit and get them playing better. Knowing that it was their fault for playing such crummy defense that got Leight's pulled. What I see in this move is a coach who is questioning himself.

Look at Atlanta and Capitals. Those two teams went 180 degrees after firing their coaches. However, in their situation teams quit playing for their coaches.

Well, Atlanta anyway. Washington had a brief spark, which flamed out some time ago.

The biggest problem with this team is defense. We can't hold a lead b/c our defense sucks. We can't keep pucks out of the net b/c our defense sucks. Until a change is made on our defense, it won't matter who the coach is. Its not the coach, or the goalies, its the defense. Plain and simple.

If by defense you are also calling out the fowards for not playing defense, then agreed. One million percent agreed.

I lay this on the players and their lack of willingness to continually give the effort it takes to win in this league. Whacking the coach is the easy move, I say we start with a few players being shipped out that aren't getting it done. As far as who to move, I would say that the only player not subject to trade would be Staal.

Can I get an Amen! I'd add Cam to the list. They are both our future, whether you like it or not.

Well obviously the trades aren't rolling in or otherwise we would have a puck-moving defenseman and someone to take Justin's spot.

Funny thing is we have puck moving d-men, if they are allowed to do so....Seidenberg, Tanabe, Hedican. We also signed someone to take Justin's spot: Samsonov.

Letting Lavi go would be a big mistake. Lavi's system is a good system and fits this team well (at the beginning of the season we looked like an offensive juggernaut). However we are also a team with defense by committee and when the forwards are more bent on cheating for breakaways then they are with backchecking then we get in trouble.

True enough. It's not only the forward cheating for breakaways, but not even playing positionally that kills me. In the beginning of the year we had those easy breakaway chances, but teams figured us out. It's time for us to change a bit of our style of play maybe. I have no earthly idea how to do that. Here's hoping Laviolette does.

Jeff Hamilton has 2 points in his last 23 games yet is still on the top PP unit. Why? Because he's a RH shot. Nevermind that it clearly is not working. He's a RH shot and that is all that matters to Laviolette. He refuses to adjust the strategy to fit the personnel he has and at most just rotates similar players in and out of the same spot in (Another RH shot in Walker on the right point on the second unit). He's been watching "his" plan of repeatedly fail for the last few months and changes NOTHING. It was working earlier in the season so maybe if he sticks to it for another 30 games it will magically work again. :rolleyes:

This is just one of the many, many bizarre coaching decisions. We've had half the team out and Andrew Ladd is still stuck on the fourth line while Adams-Letowski-LaRose skate around and collect minuses. Chad LaRose was with Brind'amour-Williams for over a month and produced somewhere around 3 points during that timespan. Pointmen are not being used on their off sides during PPs. Leighton/Grahame getting consecutive starts when Ward isn't playing well. There have been so many players misused this season it's not even funny.

It's a lot easier to change one person than it is to change 23. Do we have enough talent to be a super awesome team? No, our defense sucks and a move needs to made in that regard. Do we have enough talent to make the playoffs? Yes. We can do better than we are now and injuries are only part of the problem.

I'm with whoever said give Lavi 10 games. 6-4-0 or better or SEE YA.

It's come time to make waves and drop a bomb. They aren't getting any better on their own (they've had over 2 months), so really and truly, what harm is dropping a bomb on the team like firing the coach gonna do? They're going nowhere fast ANYWAY. Might as well try and do SOMEthing.

Sorry Lavi, you brought us a cup, but you'll never return us to playoffs at this rate.

I'm with whoever said give Lavi 10 games. 6-4-0 or better or SEE YA.

It's come time to make waves and drop a bomb. They aren't getting any better on their own (they've had over 2 months), so really and truly, what harm is dropping a bomb on the team like firing the coach gonna do? They're going nowhere fast ANYWAY. Might as well try and do SOMEthing.

Sorry Lavi, you brought us a cup, but you'll never return us to playoffs at this rate.

I think if they don't show something against Ottawa that should be it. There are some tough games in that 10 game span you are talking about. If we can't afford to lose anymore than why wait to save the season. IF it even does.

Well I can tell you this when he pulled Leighton last night he made it clear that he doesn't know whats going on . No one in the arena would have made that dumb move

Wow...I guess you used to coach the Habs, Leafs, Ducks, ahhhh Hawks, Sharks, maybe the Avs ???

Or maybe some mighty mite team ?? Maybe a fantasy team?

Maybe not !!!!

Wow...I guess you used to coach the Habs, Leafs, Ducks, ahhhh Hawks, Sharks, maybe the Avs ???

Or maybe some mighty mite team ?? Maybe a fantasy team?

Maybe not !!!!

it was his Mike Keaton impersonation. good old Mikey did that back in they day

he messed with his goalies a lot, esp in Chicago. I think Belfour hated his guts, no shock there.

Brindamour has just as much clout as Lavi in the locker room. The whole "lack of effort" issue started when Brindamour became a non-factor on the ice. He needs to lead by example on the ice, which lavi isnt capable of doing. Bottom line, a coach cant make the players skate hard, millions of dollars and pride is supposed to, the players should take the hit, which JR seems to agree with making his trade threats.

Brindamour has just as much clout as Lavi in the locker room. The whole "lack of effort" issue started when Brindamour became a non-factor on the ice. He needs to lead by example on the ice, which lavi isnt capable of doing. Bottom line, a coach cant make the players skate hard, millions of dollars and pride is supposed to, the players should take the hit, which JR seems to agree with making his trade threats.

Threats, threats and more threats. Nothing is going to change in that locker room until the threat is followed through. <_<

Hmmm, so maybe firing another arena employee will get things turned around...? :P

Summer Headlines:

Canes win Stanley Cup!!! Firing of boy who cooks french fries seen as the turning point. Canes go loss less after boy 15 fired from french fry stand at RBC.

Summer Headlines:

Canes win Stanley Cup!!! Firing of boy who cooks french fries seen as the turning point. Canes go loss less after boy 15 fired from french fry stand at RBC.

ROFLMAO. If firing the cooks from the stands will get the Canes to win the Cup I say we fire them all and live without concessions. :lol:

Brind'Amour spoke out about Paul Maurice and he made this one statement that had me think of this thread:

"As a coach, you can't control the guys on the ice and what they're doing, coaching at this level is no big secret. It's the guys on the ice that have to produce. Unfortunately the way it works it always seems to come back on the coach - but it's never the coach's fault."

I am not with the whole giving Lavi 10 games. I don't see anything wrong with his system, it is just that the defense is awful. I think that if the defense doesn't improve mightily then Kevin McCarthy should be given the boot. The goalies are a big problem too, but Barasso was just promoted and the defense is the thing which is letting Ward see all these close up chances. Ward can sure improve a hell of a lot, but the defense needs to step it up big time. Laviolette can sure improve though. He gets a pass for a while due to the Cup win, but this is getting ridiculous right now. A year and half of declining play isn't something a good coach does. He really may be losing control of this team, but an improved D would increase this team's chances at winning and winning cures all problems. ;)

When Hedican comes back I think that Kaberle needs to go to the press box, Lavi needs to stop putting him at the point on the PP. I think he really has hurt Hamilton in the same way that he hurt Ward though. Hamilton started out the season doing very well on the PP, but since then he has no real defined role on this team, much like Ward. Even when he was doing well on the PP, he was getting no 5 on 5 time and this has affected his play, and his mentality. I really feel like Hamilton can contribute to this team a lot more than he is, but Lavi needs to do a much better job at with the line up decisions. This Ward for Leighton debacle is just the next one.

All they have to do is improve the defense and this team can become just as good as Ottawa. Their offense is finally getting healthy, but guys like Kablerle/Hedican/etc. are really, really weak and complete liabilities on the blue line.

Have you been in the locker room? He could be a quiet leader or not a leader at all. The time will come when Lavi has to go ( soon I think) . If the slide continues there are 3 choices

1............Fire Lavi

2............Big trade

3............Ride it out

Its that simple....will any of those fix everything?....no....because its a depth thing and the canes just don't have it anymore IMO

I do think that Brind'amour has to step it up. He's always been a guy who 'leads by example' and right now he is not. He needs to start being a leader in other senses other than by example because it is obvious that his play isn't going to inspire anybody even though I think his new line is a start of something for him. If Lavi is somehow losing control of the team, then Brind'amour shares a lot of the blame as well.

Have you been in the locker room? He could be a quiet leader or not a leader at all. The time will come when Lavi has to go ( soon I think) . If the slide continues there are 3 choices

1............Fire Lavi

2............Big trade

3............Ride it out

Its that simple....will any of those fix everything?....no....because its a depth thing and the canes just don't have it anymore IMO

apparently you havent heard any comments from teammates of Brindamour stating that he is a consumate leader and that during their playoff run brindamour held a players only meeting and because of that lavi cancelled his for the same day. There is plenty of press on rods leadership style and ability and that he leads mostly by example. Do you have any other un-unique choices the canes can make?

I am not with the whole giving Lavi 10 games. I don't see anything wrong with his system, it is just that the defense is awful. I think that if the defense doesn't improve mightily then Kevin McCarthy should be given the boot.

I have to strongly agree with this point. I personally like his system; the up-tempo style as opposed to dropping back into a neutral zone trap like a lot of teams have. The system itself is fine, but a lot of it I think is the players and how they play in the system.

yeah ok what other choices are there......inspirational speaker....fire Brindy then.......a tropical vacation for the team to bond.......the choices are limited aren't they , unique or not. As far as Brindy, he is either tired or playing hurt or both or personal issues could be it. We don't know everything going on in the locker room even though some would like to think so. So yeahy, the choices we post here will be limited and pretty much the same as everyone elses

apparently you havent heard any comments from teammates of Brindamour stating that he is a consumate leader and that during their playoff run brindamour held a players only meeting and because of that lavi cancelled his for the same day. There is plenty of press on rods leadership style and ability and that he leads mostly by example. Do you have any other un-unique choices the canes can make?

apparently you believe nothing can possibly change in 2 years.