The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
medfordcaniac7

Lavi must go

Summer Headlines:

Canes win Stanley Cup!!! Firing of boy who cooks french fries seen as the turning point. Canes go loss less after boy 15 fired from french fry stand at RBC.

So i take it you never tried the fries at his stand!!!Let me tell you,i knew exactly which guy and which consession stand that he got fired from,,,those fries were the worst fries in the whole castle!!! ;)

One of the problems that is at work here is a misalignment between management and scheme. Specifically, JR decided to stay the course with the D corps in the hopes that Kaberle would regain his form to help with the transition game and that Cullen would add scoring depth and PP production. Well, JR is 1 for 2 in that regard although he has budgetary realities with which to work and also counted on Ward taking a big step forward.

Lavi's system is not all that complex (though it does require maximum effort) and it has proven to work - skating, puck possession, forecheck, left wing lock, etc. The problem, aside from a D unit which has become unglued for some reason, is that it requires at least one and optimally two puck-handling Dmen who can skate and occasionally score. There is nobody on the roster that does it and Kaberle is a waste of minutes. During the Cup year, they played their best when both Tverdovsky and Kaberle could fill those roles and kick-start the transition game. When Tverdovsky faltered and hardly played in the postseason it really didn't matter b/c of the tight checking style, Ward's outstanding play and a lethal PP.

This year the latter two things are MIA so is it any wonder the transition games never gets going? In my mind both an O-Dman and a D-Dman are needed but at minimum, if you could only get one, I'd get the O-Dman. That role in this scheme takes pressure off the D and there are enough guys, mediocre though they may be collectively, that should be able to benefit from it.

So in order, I'd make a trade for a decent O-Dman, fire McCarthy if that doesn't change things and then make an assessment on Lavi's future at season's end.

apparently you believe nothing can possibly change in 2 years.

The captaincy hasnt and neither have the responsibilities it bears, people wanna throw lavi under the bus and make "big trades" for immediate impacts which more than likely will be costly down the road.

The captaincy hasnt and neither have the responsibilities it bears, people wanna throw lavi under the bus and make "big trades" for immediate impacts which more than likely will be costly down the road.

No people want accoutablity for a 13-18-1 record, (since our 11-4-3 start) which quite frankly is not good.

Like I have said, I would have him on a short leash, (10 games and then reassess again)

Lavi has not done a good job getting this team ready day in and day out. The defense is not good, it is all his fault

probably not but someone must be accountable for a bad performance and getting worse the last month or so.

He really bungled the goalie situation last night. he should have stuck with Leighton IMO to try to gain some confidence for him. Ward did no better. Its really frustrating.

the new Cane had 1 goal and 2 assists, so Samsonov has been a pleasant suprise so far.

this team needs something or will be in 3rd place by Feb 1st :(

No people want accoutablity for a 13-18-1 record, (since our 11-4-3 start) which quite frankly is not good.

Like I have said, I would have him on a short leash, (10 games and then reassess again)

Lavi has not done a good job getting this team ready day in and day out. The defense is not good, it is all his fault

probably not but someone must be accountable for a bad performance and getting worse the last month or so.

He really bungled the goalie situation last night. he should have stuck with Leighton IMO to try to gain some confidence for him. Ward did no better. Its really frustrating.

the new Cane had 1 goal and 2 assists, so Samsonov has been a pleasant suprise so far.

Heres where your accountabilty should be focused:

The players are:

weak on the puck / lose almost all puck battles

hesitant / unreactive

unable to cover opposing players in defensive zone

-This all leads to an overall synopsis of a lack of effort and these things are taught or acquired in youth hockey.

these are the types of things

Heres where your accountabilty should be focused:

The players are:

weak on the puck / lose almost all puck battles

hesitant / unreactive

unable to cover opposing players in defensive zone

-This all leads to an overall synopsis of a lack of effort and these things are taught or acquired in youth hockey.

these are the types of things

then you say we should replace most of the players.

someone is not doing a good job of preparing this team and that falls on Lavi

and the assistant coaches.

and please stop messing with the goalies. he has done a bad job of managing them as well

the last month or so.

Leighton plays well and then gets benched, I do not get it.

I see a lot of players that won the Cup 2 years ago and look lost now.

Injuries are part of it but the system does not look good.

I say Lavi should be on a short leash as his team has looked perplexed the last month or so.

Something has to give. if no turnaround in 10 games then see ya.

He played well in the first but then gave up 3 goals on 12 shots, each team squandering the Canes' previous comebacks to tie it up. He then gave up a bad goal when he was so far out of position, and it was very late in the period.

That can get up pulled and it did. He looked a bit shaky and the hope was to mount a two goal comeback and Leighton didn't appear to be solid enough to close down Toronto for the next 20 mins. Neither did Ward but I don't think you can say Leighton played "well."

He played well in the first but then gave up 3 goals on 12 shots, each team squandering the Canes' previous comebacks to tie it up. He then gave up a bad goal when he was so far out of position, and it was very late in the period.

That can get up pulled and it did. He looked a bit shaky and the hope was to mount a two goal comeback and Leighton didn't appear to be solid enough to close down Toronto for the next 20 mins. Neither did Ward but I don't think you can say Leighton played "well."

I was not specific in saying last night. I meant the first 2 games Leighton played and won one and lost the other and then gets benched. I was not clear. I do apoligize.

and please stop messing with the goalies. he has done a bad job of managing them as well

the last month or so.

I say Lavi should be on a short leash as his team has looked perplexed the last month or so.

Its not a fix the coach can make in my opinion, if the players were going all out and the system wasnt working then it would be a different story. 10 games? youre delerious, didnt mommy tell you acting on emotion is dangerous.

Its not a fix the coach can make in my opinion, if the players were going all out and the system wasnt working then it would be a different story. 10 games? youre delerious, didnt mommy tell you acting on emotion is dangerous.

dude stop with the name calling. I am not delirous.

This team has classicly underachieved last year and this year since Nov 15th or so.

the team is not getting it done. This is a discussion not calling out another poster which is not cool.

I think I am pretty level headed here and only posted the topic because i am sure I am not the only one here thinking that Lavi has run his course or is about to. You can disagree but just be nice about it. that is all

I was not specific in saying last night. I meant the first 2 games Leighton played and won one and lost the other and then gets benched. I was not clear. I do apoligize.

Got you, but I still disagree. He was average in the win and pretty good in the loss but untested by a offensively-challenged team. He wasn't brought in to carry the team but rather to be a spark. He did his part and Ward was supposed to then take it from there. When in doubt what do you expect Lavi to do, go with Leighton who is a journeyman, borderline NHL'er or the guy who won you the Cup?

the last month or so.

Next ten games are Ottawa(A), EDM, NYI home at home, NYR,TOR again, PIT(A),NSH(A),WSH(A),NJ(A)

That road trip at the end is part of a 5 game road trip. Washington is hot, The Devils have killed us, the Penguins are hot......see where I am going with this?

I say(big bad nobody) that he has Ottawa game to get something done or change needs to happen. There are only 24 games after that 10 game plan for Lavi. It'll be too late by then I think. But what do I know.

The problem is Lavi. We have the talent but what we don't have is motivation it is his job to motivate players and he is NOT doing it.

Sorry, but nope. The door to motivation is locked from the inside. Locker room pep talks get real old real fast over an 80-game schedule. True professionals find a way to win under the most difficult circumstances, and with only a few exceptions this year our guys haven't gotten the job done.

guess its a little bit of everything now that I read it. Hereis an example of jsut one of our problems:

Defense - Can it be blamed on the players? ...Yea part of it, kaberle has struggled, and Wallin and Hedican have been inconsistent but also injury prone.

But at the same time we already knew the defense was weak coming into the season, Rutherford did not bring anyone new in to help out (yes he's short on payroll, however, you can always try bringing in a defenseman for $1mil/year contract that has potential). so management can be partly to blame on that end as they chose which players to keep on defense. Also not drafting any good prospects defense hurt sus (I know we had Jack Johnson, but that didn't turn out well and now we have Gleason instead)

However Lavi and the coaching staff isn't off the hook either. This should be a defense by committee, and even before the injuries it took him a long time to scratch Kaberle, who was hurting the team in almost every aspect of the game. He hasn't scored 1 goal, and if he can't produce on the PP or even with his 15 minutes of ice-time why is he a regular player? I think Frank has been scratched twice all year, he's been better defensively lately but still, Lavi has the final say on who's dressed, and we could've had Borer up much sooner it seems and Kaberle will continue to be a regular in the lineup it seems, when maybe it should be discussed that he should go on waivers like we did with grahame.

So just in that example alone, everyone could be blamed a little. Fact is the defense is not good, and has awful awareness at times, part of it is due to the system other parts have nothing to do with it. But to think the defens ewill suddenly turn around after 47 games or whatever, is ridiculous. Kaberle should be shipped out, no need to wait for hedican to get back, and give more ice time to borer so we can build him into a good defensive player.

it was his Mike Keaton impersonation. good old Mikey did that back in they day

he messed with his goalies a lot, esp in Chicago. I think Belfour hated his guts, no shock there.

I think you mean Mike Keenan, who won a cup with the Rangers in 1994. He never messed with Mike Richter's head....just cuz he WAS that good.

Hamilton started out the season doing very well on the PP, but since then he has no real defined role on this team, much like Ward. Even when he was doing well on the PP, he was getting no 5 on 5 time and this has affected his play, and his mentality. I really feel like Hamilton can contribute to this team a lot more than he is, but Lavi needs to do a much better job at with the line up decisions.

Here's why Hamilton no longer gets a pass in my book. When on the PP and the puck goes by him into our zone, he is slow and soft back to the puck. A lollygagger. It was this type of playing that allowed several shorthanded goals scored against us, when we were really doing the 5 forward PP line up. Hamilton still comes back slow and soft to the puck. Nope, no free ride here.

Guess what? We're currently in 9th place in the conference standings. We went from 3rd to 9th, all due to dropping our division lead. It won't matter a hoot if we place 2nd in our division. Only the division leader will advance in the southeast division this year, it's that weak, IMO.

Well, Atlanta anyway. Washington had a brief spark, which flamed out some time ago.

Nope, look at the stats... Caps are 6-2-2 in last 10. That is actually better than Atlanta. They are red hot and have whopping 4 games in hand on us, that is why they are still trailing.

guess its a little bit of everything now that I read it. Hereis an example of jsut one of our problems:

Defense - Can it be blamed on the players? ...Yea part of it, kaberle has struggled, and Wallin and Hedican have been inconsistent but also injury prone.

But at the same time we already knew the defense was weak coming into the season, Rutherford did not bring anyone new in to help out (yes he's short on payroll, however, you can always try bringing in a defenseman for $1mil/year contract that has potential). so management can be partly to blame on that end as they chose which players to keep on defense. Also not drafting any good prospects defense hurt sus (I know we had Jack Johnson, but that didn't turn out well and now we have Gleason instead)

JR tried to change up the defense during the offseason. Remember he had a trade in place with Philly for Pitkanen, but they wanted Wallin who wouldn't trade his NTC. He can't just call up a team and say hey I'll give you trash for so and so. All of our defense minus Wesley were already under contract. Wesley has been a beast for us this year, so bringing him back on was smart. There wasn't a whole lotta defenseman out there during the FA and the ones who were were asking for quite a lot. We needed extra depth, so we got Tanabe for cheap. To really change the defense JR would of had to make a trade and they just weren't there.

It's easier to change coaches then players. I believe that Lavi or a new coach needs to find out what players really want to play for us. I have a hunch that there is a player or two who may not want too. Trades will be next to impossible to make this year. Too many teams are still in contention for a playoff position.

It's easier to change coaches then players.

LMAO..... Do you think NHL caliber coaches are standing in line around the corner looking for jobs? It is very hard to find a good coach. Atlanta fired theirs and still can't find a replacement. Caps fired theirs and were lucky to have good coach in their AHL farm club.

Fire Lavi and there is nobody available to replace him... Oh wait, let me take it back. there will be one. I believe Paul Maurice is updating his resume at this very moment.

I don't take seriously all the speculations to bring Ron Francis and make him head coach. Francis has no coaching experience and this is going to be a big gamble. Being a great player doesn't make one a great coach.

Laviolette and his system won the Stanley Cup just 2 seasons ago with largely these same players. I just don't see him going unless we miss the playoffs. Thus, I continue to maintain that he will get the rest of the year. I am, however in the camp who want to see a major trade for a defenseman. And for crying out loud get over the "pulling Leighton was so bad thing". Even if it was a mistake it is one mistake. If Cam had come in and shut the door we wouldn't be talking about this. At some point the players have to execute.

By the way, who fires assistant coaches? Do they serve at the pleasure of the head coach? Does it ever work to shake up a team by firing an asst? If ever there was someone who should go it would be the special teams coach. Last year our power play was embarrasing and this year our PK is atrocious and singlehandedly responsible for some losses (see our last game).

The other thing that it is hard to fault Laviolette for is our terrible goalie play. He is not the GM. How is he supposed to win with one of, if not the worst goalie tandems in the league?

I agree with that. I've posted elsewhere and still maintain that with average goalie play and an average PK we would be sitting pretty, despite everything. The cup year Gerber was slightly above average (until the first round of the playoffs) and it was enough.