The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
medfordcaniac7

Lavi must go

It's got nothing to do with Gerber and Recchi. Yes, Gerber stole some games, and made big saves, but the defense was still much better in 2006. If I recall more physical, and more willing to block shots. It was ahrd working luchpale type group that we might've taken for granted at the time.

Fact is canes didn't need to score 4 goals to win a hockey game back then, and I don't think it was mainly cause of Gerber.

On the topic of getting rid of Lav...

Don't forget about the style change you could see if we lost Lav... I would die if we went back to the "5 guys back" style of the Maurice era. Talk about a yawner. If I saw our team back into our own zone one more time...

I love the aggressive nature of PL's style when the players actually play it... I would rather play the game in their zone than ours, and yes, we are going to give up some rushes to the other team, but at least you aren't sleeping.

Be careful what you wish for, you may just get it. I'm yawning already...

the style/system lavi uses and won with was puck deep, cycle, and pinch d-men with the high forward cycling to the point to cover, it WAS a beautiful thing to watch, but this defense cant seem to handle it and the forwards can no longer hold on to the puck long enough to even start a cycle. Lavi seemed to realize this and went to a 1-2-2 which doesnt help generate scoring or pin the other team in and make them pay for mistakes. weak on the puck and hesitant defenseman...

Your acting like every single coach out there to be had plays the trap.

Probably has to do with me attending almost every professional game of hockey played in Raleigh. Years of the Icecaps playing boring defensive hockey, to be followed by Maurice. When Laviolette arrived, the aggressive style was the first breath of fresh air for Raleigh hockey in over a decade. I don't want to lose that just because a few circumstances have conspired to make the Canes perform poorly.

There's a reason New Jersey can't fill their brand new arena, and the answer is, winning is only part of the equation. I'm not sure I could watch that team night after night either.

So if the problem is, as everyone says, the defense is abysmal, then I doubt we are going to see an offensive minded coach hired.

You forgot who got us there......Gerber.

I guess the legend of Gerber that year grows with each loss this year. ;)

The fact is that he had a very hot start, as did the Canes offensively as they scored in bunches with stretch passes and a non-stop skating style, but then cooled off significantly and then struggled mightily down the stretch. His stats, .906 save % and 2.78 GAA were hardly eye-opening and placed him squarely in the middle of the pack.

Those numbers were almost identical to Cam Ward's this year until his last few games and they are tied with 3 shutouts. Plus Gerber's early game mishaps and soft goals were often erased by so many, almost uncanny, two-goal comebacks that season.

Ward can and needs to play better but it's not as if Gerber was the sole difference-maker that year, backstopping the team to glory. The team D was much better that year and the offense scored at a higher clip so what would be losses this year were wins for him that year. I give him credit for doing a good job that year, but not much more.

Regarding Lavi, they need to get a decent puck-moving Dman at minimum and see how that changes the dynamic - it should take some pressure off a porous D. Then look at McCarthy and his coaching for a shake-up. I think you have to at least give Lavi until the end of the year.

do not forget Doug Weight and Aaron Ward ;)

Yeah all those guys contributed, but the '06 team got there as a "team". It just doesn't seem like that is happening right now.

Maybe the team needs a visit from one of those motivational speakers that teaches you how to juggle or something. That Zimmerman guy is good at that. Taught us to be "Living the dream" LOL

There are two questions that need to be answered before you fire Laviolette,

1) a)Has the NHL adapted to the point where Lavi's system is no longer effective?

b)If so is he unable to change his system accordingly?

2) Does he have the players he needs to succeed?

To me the first is a much bigger one than the second one. This roster should be able to do more than it is, so number 2 is mute. But the first question has serious repercussions. If this is really the offensive output that this team can generate with the style its playing and the changes in the league since 2005-06, than that style has to change. If Lavi won't or can't adapt to the players he has and the conditions of the league then he needs to go. If that is the case, then the whole cup run was a perfect storm of career years and unprepared teams that have since figured out how to stop this kind of attack. It was good while it lasted, time to move on.

1) a)Has the NHL adapted to the point where Lavi's system is no longer effective?

To me the first is a much bigger one than the second one. This roster should be able to do more than it is, so number 2 is mute. But the first question has serious repercussions. If this is really the offensive output that this team can generate with the style its playing and the changes in the league since 2005-06, than that style has to change. If Lavi won't or can't adapt to the players he has and the conditions of the league then he needs to go. If that is the case, then the whole cup run was a perfect storm of career years and unprepared teams that have since figured out how to stop this kind of attack. It was good while it lasted, time to move on.

The dump and chase is clearly not working at all. I think we can all agree that watching it fail has been frustrating.

Look at Atlanta. They started the season horrible, made a coaching change, and now they are 1rst in the division.

And I agree it seemed like they weren't playing for him anymore a couple months ago. I like Lavi as a coach and hate that I feel like this, but it might be time.

Agreed 200%. Unless he gets us IN the playoffs, whether we win, he's gone.

I think the point that killed our team most was back in 2006-2007 season when we got rid of Weight, Ward, and Recchi. Recchi was the big scorer, Weight was the "big guy" on the ice, and Ward was a prime defenseman and prime checker. We lost them... and then we lost our championship team. Last season my basketball team won the championship... undefeated, in fact. Then some people on our team graduated, and we haven't won a game yet this season. Maybe it's time WE got a coaching change! :P

IF, and it's a big IF the players have lost confidence in the coach, then it doesn't matter what Lavi does :(

I read in the Hockey News a few months back that one of the biggest challenges that the Hurricanes face is if the players buy into Lavi's system or not. Looks like we have our answer.

I definitely agree with that. In the Cup year, all of our players loved that mentality of pedal to the floor. Everyone bought into Lavi's intense offensive style, but this year it just doesn't seem the same.

I'm worried that the league has reverted back to its old ways. After Anaheim won last year because of their amazing D, every team scrambled to build their team like theirs.When all this was happening, I was wondering, "Should teams be more focoused with offense in this "new" NHL? Then it dawned on me, the only season that looked like the "new nhl" was the 06 seaon and half of the 07 season. Lets face it, the officials and the rest of the league are not giving us a faster, more offensive oriented game. A lot of west coast games look like mid 90's east coast games. There are lots of low scoring games and there have been a hell of a lot of shutouts this season, many of them unwarranted. Maybe the system isn't working anymore because the league has reverted to its defense first mind set. Look at the Sabres. Through the 06 season and half of last year, the were one of the best teams. They were scoring a lot of goals. Then in the second half of last seasn and all of this season, there goals for is way down. They're in a 10 game losing streak right now. If this was truly the " new NHL", then with their young and speedy offensense, they should be one of the best in the league.

The dump and chase is clearly not working at all. I think we can all agree that watching it fail has been frustrating.

Whaler took numbers of success/failure dumps/carry ins and you'll be quite surprised to hear what his numbers wound up being.

You'll prolly need to PM him for them if he misses this topic. But the dump and chase actually was well over 50%, its just that when it fails its more irritating then a carry in failure and thus ticks you off more.

Whaler took numbers of success/failure dumps/carry ins and you'll be quite surprised to hear what his numbers wound up being.

You'll prolly need to PM him for them if he misses this topic. But the dump and chase actually was well over 50%, its just that when it fails its more irritating then a carry in failure and thus ticks you off more.

What is he calling a success? Gaining possesion? Scoring a goal? How do you gauge it?

What is he calling a success? Gaining possesion? Scoring a goal? How do you gauge it?

Success for me would be a dump in resulting in regaining possession down low and knowing Whaler it would be the same expectation.

I see us get stonewalled on more carry in's then dump in's because the only guy on the team that can deke a D is Samsonov and before him we didnt even have that. We would always have one man enter the zone and have another guy enter behind him and do a drop pass as the D backed off. Now the D is aggresive and knows all were going to do is a drop pass after we enter the zone and carry ins fail much more.

Success for me would be a dump in resulting in regaining possession down low and knowing Whaler it would be the same expectation.

I see us get stonewalled on more carry in's then dump in's because the only guy on the team that can deke a D is Samsonov and before him we didnt even have that. We would always have one man enter the zone and have another guy enter behind him and do a drop pass as the D backed off. Now the D is aggresive and knows all were going to do is a drop pass after we enter the zone and carry ins fail much more.

hmmmm.....indeed the carry-in concept barely exists for them and it's also difficult to watch, perhaps more than the dump in.

the team came out flat tonight and lavi should deserve a lot of the blame.

no more excuses, if this team does not wake up soon, he should be gone.

you dont live off the past, you live in the present and for the future

Lavi is 0-1-0 in my 10 game 'wait'. If he doesn't go 6-3-0 in the next 9, I'll be on the fire Lavi train.

edit: one off topic side note - at least Samsonov is showing some promise. I get a good vibe from him and I hope he continues to get top minutes.