The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
KennyAM09

Hurricanes Not Making The Playoffs

i agree we had many opportunities to win this divison but we have played some UNREAL hockey since the captain went down and I dont think ANYBODY can say that they expected that. we havent played our best the past week or 2 thats for sure but to say we are lucky to get in is a joke! we have play unbelievable hockey over the past 2 months and the caps are in the EXACT same position tomorrow night then we were tonight, they have to beat the panthers to get in. watch it or not tomorrow night but i am so proud of this club right now for what theyve done and if they are fortunate to get in i think the east is in some REAL trouble because our team knows now what its liked to feel like their destiny is not in their hands and they will not let this happen again that is for sure. so as a fan and for all of the players and coaches lets just keep our heads up and see what happens.

i agree we had many opportunities to win this divison but we have played some UNREAL hockey since the captain went down and I dont think ANYBODY can say that they expected that. we havent played our best the past week or 2 thats for sure but to say we are lucky to get in is a joke! we have play unbelievable hockey over the past 2 months and the caps are in the EXACT same position tomorrow night then we were tonight, they have to beat the panthers to get in. watch it or not tomorrow night but i am so proud of this club right now for what theyve done and if they are fortunate to get in i think the east is in some REAL trouble because our team knows now what its liked to feel like their destiny is not in their hands and they will not let this happen again that is for sure. so as a fan and for all of the players and coaches lets just keep our heads up and see what happens.

Regardless of the result of the Caps game tomorrow, your boys showed a lot of heart and grit over the last 2+ months. Too bad the Eastern Conference playoffs won't have 2 teams from the SE. Florida has also shown some very good flashes and could easily be competing for the playoffs next year.

Again, congrats on overcoming so many injuries and playing great hockey after most had written you off with Roddy's injury especially.

The Southeast is the worst division in hockey...

to choke like this not only in the fashion we did but in the division we're in... this is possibly one of the biggest chokes in hockey history

I agree completely.

I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU ALL! THE HURRICANES PLAYED INSANELY WELL DOWN THE STRETCH (SINCE THE ALL-STAR BREAK). THEY LOST TO A MUCH-IMPROVED CAPITALS TEAM TUESDAY AND TONIGHT THE PUCK JUST DIDN'T GO THEIR WAY! DON'T FORGET THAT THE CAPITALS HAVE MATCHED US GAME FOR GAME IN THE LAST MONTH. SO DON'T BLAME THIS SOLELY ON THE CANES! THEY ARE A VERY GOOD TEAM THAT GOT CAUGHT IN AN UNLUCKY SITUATION. A RUN LIKE THE ONE WE'VE PUT TOGETHER SINCE THE ALL-STAR BREAK WOULD NET A TEAM A PLAYOFF BERTH IN JUST ABOUT ANY OTHER SITUATION. WE JUST GOT EXTREMELY UNLUCKY THAT THE CAPITALS DECIDED TO HAVE A RECORD-BREAKING SEASON AT THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME!

The Southeast is the worst division in hockey...

to choke like this not only in the fashion we did but in the division we're in... this is possibly one of the biggest chokes in hockey history

and your wrong.

Detriots division is the worst in hockey.

r u serious? the canes needed one more win, and they couldn't get it against the panthers or the lightning three games before.

WE JUST GOT EXTREMELY UNLUCKY THAT THE CAPITALS DECIDED TO HAVE A RECORD-BREAKING SEASON AT THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME!

it doesn't matter what the capitals did. WE CONTROLLED OUR OWN DESTINY and we couldn't pull it out.

The Bottom Line is that we LOST the division much more than the caps WON it.

That describes a huge choke

I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU ALL! THE HURRICANES PLAYED INSANELY WELL DOWN THE STRETCH (SINCE THE ALL-STAR BREAK). THEY LOST TO A MUCH-IMPROVED CAPITALS TEAM TUESDAY AND TONIGHT THE PUCK JUST DIDN'T GO THEIR WAY! DON'T FORGET THAT THE CAPITALS HAVE MATCHED US GAME FOR GAME IN THE LAST MONTH. SO DON'T BLAME THIS SOLELY ON THE CANES! THEY ARE A VERY GOOD TEAM THAT GOT CAUGHT IN AN UNLUCKY SITUATION. A RUN LIKE THE ONE WE'VE PUT TOGETHER SINCE THE ALL-STAR BREAK WOULD NET A TEAM A PLAYOFF BERTH IN JUST ABOUT ANY OTHER SITUATION. WE JUST GOT EXTREMELY UNLUCKY THAT THE CAPITALS DECIDED TO HAVE A RECORD-BREAKING SEASON AT THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME!

Jeeze I hope to God we make the playoffs to all the haters can shut their hooverdam pie holes.

and your wrong.

how did you come up with that?....by looking at records, I would still say that the southeast is the weakest

HOLY *edit*! you guys are sooooo right. How in the world could we have NOT made the playoffs!? Man games lost? nah thats not a good reason, its not like we set a franchise record in that or anything. Maybe its the fact that we had to go 20 some games without our captain? pshhh, we can pull through that too right? I mean he's not THAT important right? How about justin williams? I doubt his goals really would have mattered. and who really cares about larose anyways, its not like he could EVER have a hat trick in his career....

Grow up kids, worst choke in hockey history? how old are you 3? the way the league hands out points right now is what screws up the stats, as everyone knows now its too easy to get points the way its set up. so its kinda hard to compare the new nhl and the old nhl and say this is the worst choke in history.

HOLY *edit*! you guys are sooooo right. How in the world could we have NOT made the playoffs!? Man games lost? nah thats not a good reason, its not like we set a franchise record in that or anything. Maybe its the fact that we had to go 20 some games without our captain? pshhh, we can pull through that too right? I mean he's not THAT important right? How about justin williams? I doubt his goals really would have mattered. and who really cares about larose anyways, its not like he could EVER have a hat trick in his career....

Grow up kids, worst choke in hockey history? how old are you 3? the way the league hands out points right now is what screws up the stats, as everyone knows now its too easy to get points the way its set up. so its kinda hard to compare the new nhl and the old nhl and say this is the worst choke in history.

7 point lead with 7 games to go

all we had to do was go 4-3, but we collapsed... collapsed while getting guys back from injury... against the worst teams in the worst division in hockey

im tired of the injury excuse. the fact is we played much better when the injuries happened. we started playing like a playoff team with the lineup we had out there tonight, and that was supposively a playoff lineup. i was wrong

3-3-1.....we lost against red hot washington in regulation and overtime.....couldnt put together the lightning game or this one.....im not sure how we can blame the biggest choke ever on a few games.....

Regardless of the result of the Caps game tomorrow, your boys showed a lot of heart and grit over the last 2+ months. Too bad the Eastern Conference playoffs won't have 2 teams from the SE. Florida has also shown some very good flashes and could easily be competing for the playoffs next year.

Again, congrats on overcoming so many injuries and playing great hockey after most had written you off with Roddy's injury especially.

Thanks! I'm really proud of the Canes still, and there's always next year!

Good luck to the Caps in the playoffs (unless by some stroke of amazing luck they lose and the Canes get in tomorrow - which could always happen). I agree that it's too bad we couldn't see two SE teams make a run this year. The Canes just didn't hold up their end of things to make that possible.

Let's try to make it 3 SE teams in the playoffs next year? Deal? ;)

Well, I'm not going to get all crazy, it's not worth it. The guys on both teams make their effort and the result is somebody wins, somebody loses and there are the playoffs, and unless there's a strike or the planet goes under water, there's always next season.

I HAVE been wondering if we had another goalie. I mean, it is all well and good to be afraid of what might happen in goal if one doesn't play the team's #1 goalie, but geez - 20 straight games????? But then, I'm nobody's coach. What do I know?

Being stuck out here in ChiefLand and no Hurricanes in my backyard, I quickly came to appreciate hockey, period - good, bad, ugly or indifferent. Just as long as it was being played! That is definitely not the attitude I would have had "back home in Carolina" where proximity encourages a sense of entitlement. When the guys started to fall to the side due to injuries, it was disheartening, and yet to watch Staal come from last year's 'phoning it in' play effort to him stepping up into a major leadership role this year was actually worth the price. He needed this challenge and the TEAM's future needed him to find this capability within himself. And he's not the only guy to reach down and find a new head and heart.

In another thread there is discussion about Rod's rehab and low profile. Some very astute comments and I think the old timers recognize the wisdom in Rod's choices. The Captain ain't the Captain for nothin'. He knows his team and and his sport and his changed role. Just because WE might not be blessed with the pleasure of his presence, the man is no ghost. This is HIS team, but like any of the veterans he understands that TEAM is the operative word. Last season's leaking tire and this season's series of fender-benders has its long term benefits in the challenges it presents to players and management as they continually have to redefine themselves and the direction in which they are headed.

When I moved down to Carolina from South Bend back in '97, I was blown away by the serendipitous arrival of an NHL hockey team at the same time.... HOCKEY in my backyard???? In the South? What the hey??? What a pleasure! Now I'm cut off from my Canes and can only 'love from afar'. It's a pleasure and a poignancy....

I miss the Canes too much to come unhinged when things are not going well. I don't overlook OR forgive them their moments of utter idiocy, but I'm not turning them off, either. My life as a Notre Dame fan since birth has trained me far too well for that. The future is not only a time in which to look forward to "better", but a time in which to remember and treasure those spectacular moments that help shape and define what the team means to its fans. I don't want to get so busy armchair quarterbacking that I miss all those elements of the sport that keeps it in my heart year after year.

(sound of a skate sending up a huge rooster tail of flying ice as a player comes to a dramatic and flourishing halt on the other side of the glass... ahhhh!) HOCKEY !!! CANES !!! Whooo-whoooo!

7 point lead with 7 games to go

all we had to do was go 4-3, but we collapsed... collapsed while getting guys back from injury... against the worst teams in the worst division in hockey

Exactly!

and your wrong.

If you consider the Central Division horrible then YOU are wrong..

Just because Detroit is winning that Division doesn't really mean anything.. It just means that Detroit knows how to win, even when they get outplayed or when they don't have Big names on their roster every year..

If you consider the Central Division horrible then YOU are wrong..

The Central Division is the SE of the West.

This year was the year that the rest of the Central division was suppose to make some noise. They didn't.