The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
KennyAM09

Hurricanes Not Making The Playoffs

Did the NY Mets have a similar collapse last year? There is an old adage that you "gotta dance with the one who brung ya." The Rat Pack added a great deal of energy to an injury riddled team. Did Lavi and team mangement bring the high-priced talent off IR before they were ready for competition?

Who knows. The season, unless the hockey gods smile on us, is over. After some time for RR, the guys who get paid the really big buck need to start planning for next season. Can't wait for September.

How can you say we "choked" Let's talk facts. The Canes have gone 14-6-2 since Brind'Amour went down (2/14). That's a clip that would earn 112 points across a season. Is that a "choke"?

No! What happened is the greatest standings comeback in history by the Capitals. You do realize that they are 10-1 in their last 11 games?

In retrospect, it was that stretch that began just before New Year’s that did the team in. A 10-game stretch where the team went 2-7-1 is the one we’ll all regret. It’s a good lesson for the future. No matter what you do, if you take your foot off the gas, you may find yourself in a position where you cannot fight off being overtaken. Perhaps the real weakness in the SE conference is that it gives you a false sense of security.

Check out my graph of the two teams' standings points as the season progressed:

http://www.gogoraleigh.com/2008/04/04/pant...razor-thin-ice/

Not to mention Lavi switched up the lines and went away from what was working with toughness and extra rats. He went back to the old system skill over toughness and look how it panned out. Lavi is more to blame than the players.

Also watch the game tomorrow i bet the panthers don't even try.

I hate to rain on the parade but the Panthers will be THROWING there game tomorrow,Remember they HATE us!!!

Pride and future contracts are bigger than rival hate ;)

I hate to rain on the parade but the Panthers will be THROWING there game tomorrow,Remember they HATE us!!!

Pride and future contracts are bigger than rival hate ;)

oh i bet *cough* bettman can make it worth their while.

Are you suggesting that Bettman would pay them off to throw the game and get OV in, or have I misread something?

oh i bet *cough* bettman can make it worth their while.

Are you suggesting that Bettman would pay them off to throw the game and get OV in, or have I misread something?

Believe me, as a Caps fan since their first year (1974), I know exactly how disappointed and frustrated you guys feel right now. I've seen some collapses over the years that make what has happened to the 'Canes this week look mild. But, there is NO WAY you can say that your guys choked tonight.

You threw everything but Zamboni at their goal tonight, and their guy just stood on his head. I've never seen one team get 9 power plays to the other's 0. That tells me that you were outplaying them all over the ice, for 60 minutes. That's not choking. That's just bad luck and great goaltending. In other words: that's hockey.

Keep in mind that the Capitals have to face the exact same goalie Saturday. And while I doubt that the Caps are going to lose, given that the Panthers are going to be playing back-to-back road games while the Caps were sitting home resting tonight. If tonight's game showed you anything, it is that one hot goalie can win any game, any time, anywhere.

We definitely got the break in the scheduling this week with Tampa Bay and Florida coming in on the second half of back-to-backs after playing you guys the night before. But that only means anything if we win tomorrow. Florida's got absolutely nothing to lose, and nothing to save for the next day. They are going to be fired-up and loose coming in to the Verizon Center. So, if I were you guys, I'd be watching.

Has anyone seen COLE????

In the John Forslund interview right before the Caps game on Wednesday, Erik Cole said that he thought the Caps deserved to go to the playoffs and that he hoped they would. To me that is very telling that his mental attitude was not where it should be. Whatever happened to "Whatever it Takes"!!

So, if I were you guys, I'd be watching.

Sure. Like watching an execution.

And by the way, THANK YOU for being a courteous fan of an opposing team. I know I'm not the only one that appreciates it.

no nothing like mafia style maybe a little conversation about the greater good of the nhl and what it would do. happens all the time. nba for example

And by the way, THANK YOU for being a courteous fan of an opposing team. I know I'm not the only one that appreciates it.

Hear hear!

VA_Caps_Fan, you're the type of fan that I'm happy for the Caps' run this year, and for your sake hope do well. Any fan that sticks with a team for such a long period and been through the ups and downs deserves to see their team succeed.

It's the others who didn't even know there was a hockey team like a month ago that are really annoying to me. Especially since I've watched more Caps hockey than them. :lol:

I'm also confused about that Bettman reference. If they are suggesting some Betman - Caps - payout conspiracy, that's almost as asinine as praying before a high school football game. Just own it. The Canes might not make it. Let's not get crazy. Besides to pull off such a scheme, Bettman would need to be smart and really know how to piece it together. I'm afraid he doesn't have a very deep skillset.

Not to mention Lavi switched up the lines and went away from what was working with toughness and extra rats. He went back to the old system skill over toughness and look how it panned out. Lavi is more to blame than the players.

Also watch the game tomorrow i bet the panthers don't even try.

Exactly, Lavi is to blame, he always switches lines at stupid times and didn't put Grahame in quick enough tonight. :(

Sure. Like watching an execution.

We appreciate it very much. You've been in the same boat before and it's nice that the Caps fans are understanding and intelligent people. We salute your run and wish you luck in the playoffs (if we're not there in your place ;) ).

7 point lead with 7 games to go

7 point lead with 7 games to go. thats all that needs to be said. choke, blew it, gave it away, whatever, call it whatever, it means the same thing. a terible collapse. lost 3 of the last 4. lost 2 head to head games to the team who was chasing us. lost to scrub tampa. lost tonight when we knew we had to have this one. terrible. such a sick feeling going home from the rbc tonight.

The one question I would ask Lavi is why? Why did you sit Brookbank and Conboy? Obviously the physical nature and intensity they brought to the game propelled this team to success. When it matters the most you sit them and return to the gameplan from Nov. Obviously trying to outskate the other team is a terrible gameplan and he still returned to it. Doesn't make sense to me why he decided on this gameplan and went with the line-up that he chose. Just doesn't seem like he learned from his mistakes. Why try to re-invent the wheel?

The one question I would ask Lavi is why? Why did you sit Brookbank and Conboy? Obviously the physical nature and intensity they brought to the game propelled this team to success. When it matters the most you sit them and return to the gameplan from Nov. Obviously trying to outskate the other team is a terrible gameplan and he still returned to it. Doesn't make sense to me why he decided on this gameplan and went with the line-up that he chose. Just doesn't seem like he learned from his mistakes. Why try to re-invent the wheel?

I couldn't agree more why would you go back to it when so much was on the line

Why because Lavi is a soft coach...same as he was a soft player. He doesn't want or appreciate the physical aspects of the game, and it was not until the Rangers put and carried out a bounty on Cullen that he learned that lesson. Apparently the thought of bringing LaRose and Whitney back made Laviolette forget that they were not part of the team chemistry that brought us to the brink of the Southeast division title. I have to give LaRose some credt for his hat trick the other nite, but LaRose and Whitney were absolute diasters tonite....and you can add on Eric Cole's complete lack of presence vs. Florida. Kudos to Staal (as usual), Ruutu, Walker, and Samsonov who all laid it on the line tonite.

I hope all can recall that after we lost games 5 and 6 of the Stanley Cup finals to Edmonton the most amazing statistic of game 7 was how we outhit Edmonton. It was the difference in that game and ultimately what brought us the Stanley Cup game 7 victory.

By the way, when was the last time a Cane (other than Wesley) went down to block a shot. I did not see this happen once tonite, except by Florida. Seems we weren't really ready to play playoff hockey....one other thing you can point ot Laviolette about. You can catch him the rest of the NHL seaon at Dunkin Donuts feeding that empty hole in his face.