The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
KennyAM09

Hurricanes Not Making The Playoffs

How many times does our Captain Brindy have to tell these guys that "2 points in October is just as critical as 2 points in April" and "you have got to play every game like it's the game that will put you in the playoffs"? Maybe now they'll listen, or at least some of them will, not all of them will have the opportunity to next year.

You're insane if you think Whitney was a disaster tonight. He was all over the ice. He set up half the chances we had. The other parts, I agree with. ;)

Yes, he was all over the ice and mostly ineffective. Bringing him back in no condition to play at a playoff level was a costly decision of magnitudinal proportions. He threw more passes on the power play into Corvos skates that I would have thought was possible....it left Corvo with no play other than to pass it back, and Whitney looked almost afraid to shoot. Nice pass to Samsonov, but many more passes that went to Florida. Do not get me wrong. I like Whitney, but he was no help to us down the stretch.

22 Minutes and ZERO, that's a big donut ZERO, shots on goal. Need I say more?

r u serious? the canes needed one more win, and they couldn't get it against the panthers or the lightning three games before.

it doesn't matter what the capitals did. WE CONTROLLED OUR OWN DESTINY and we couldn't pull it out.

The Bottom Line is that we LOST the division much more than the caps WON it.

That describes a huge choke

Ken

Thanks for the honesty. It wasn't the Caps division to win it was the Canes to lose. Period.

I personally think like many others the Caps will win tonight. I really don't see how any Cane fan on this post can see this as positive and truly believe it. Even Lavi said so. It was simply a huge choke.

Kudos to Staal for a great season and Samsonov for coming back from the dead.

Cheers.

The big issue here is consistency. You can say how we had a great stretch at the end and how we picked it up after Rod went down. The bottom line is , this game mirrored our season. Flashes of greatness, but in the end, a losing effort. I hope to God that the Caps lose tonight, but it isn't likely. What disappointed me the most is we got away from the style of play that was working. When they came out I asked my wife, "Why isn't anybody hitting? Is this not suppose to be a 'playoff' atmosphere?" Nobody was laying out the body to block shots, beating Florida's butt to dig pucks out of the corner, etc. Even when we were playing "our style" of hockey in previous games you could see that Lavi pulled the reins in on guys like Rutuu. Remember his first game? Now, with the excpetion of some sporadic hits, think about how little he actually hit anyone compared to that game as we went down the stretch. Not his fault. That is Lavi's "way of playing". No fighting, little hitting, even though it works. He is an awesome coach, but until he gets over the fact that you have to hit to make space and fight to protect your players (especially in a game with last night's importance), we will ALWAYS fight for a playoff spot in April. Go Panthers!

Surem the if the Canes do not make the playoffs it will be a disappointment. However, at Christamas, how many of us thought they had even a remote chance to make the playoffs, much less aftet Roddy went down? The Canes had some mighty obstacles to overcome an showed great heart in the effort. Sometimes, the mountain is just too high to climb no matter how hard you try. I will not consider this season a disaster and it has given me hope for the future watching some of the young talent. I do, however, think the JR and Lavi need to reassess the goalie situation. Goal tending was our weakest area during 06-07 and the same arguement could me made for 07-08. Coincinetally, goal tending was one of our strongest suit on 02 and 06. Cam will forever be dear to Caniac hearts for his performance during the Cup run of 06, but he has been wildly inconsistent since then not only form game to, but frequently from shift to shift. Jut MHO.

Ken

Thanks for the honesty. It wasn't the Caps division to win it was the Canes to lose. Period.

I personally think like many others the Caps will win tonight. I really don't see how any Cane fan on this post can see this as positive and truly believe it. Even Lavi said so. It was simply a huge choke.

Kudos to Staal for a great season and Samsonov for coming back from the dead.

Cheers.

Exactly. We have no one to blame but ourselves for this colossal failure. One win needed against two non-playoff contending teams.

TO DO LIST:

UPCOMING GAMES TO BLOW for CAR Hurricanes

4/6: @ Raleigh Girl Scout Troop 490

4/8: Spanish American War Veterans of Apex

4/9: Rose Hills Quadriplegic Nursing home

4/12: @ Carriage Mills home for the Mentally Insane

4/14: @ Raleigh-Durham School for the Blind

We just failed at this schedule. Sad.

I agree, this was an inconsistent finish to an inconsistent season. To call it the "Worst collapse ever" just displays a general lack of sports knowledge!! There have been far worse than this both in Hurricanes history, Hockey, and sports in general.

Cut out the personal attacks on each other or this thread gets locked. Several posts were just removed for attacking each other as well as replying to trolls. If you reply to to a troll, you're baiting them back and will receive a warning.

Please report the trolls and they will be handled quickly. As for those attacking each other, if you think someone's post is in question, report that too. Emotions are running high and taking it out on each other will lead to suspensions. Its bad enough we have to deal all the visiting trolls but we shouldnt have to deal it from our own members.

Cut out the personal attacks on each other or this thread gets locked. Several posts were just removed for attacking each other as well as replying to trolls. If you reply to to a troll, you're baiting them back and will receive a warning.

Please report the trolls and they will be handled quickly. As for those attacking each other, if you think someone's post is in question, report that too. Emotions are running high and taking it out on each other will lead to suspensions. Its bad enough we have to deal all the visiting trolls but we shouldnt have to deal it from our own members.

I think Roddy going down was the catalyst for the Canes starting to play better. It was the adversity of that and the Williams injury that made others step up their games - notably Scott Walker and Chad LaRose. I was also quite impressed by the energy of Bayda and Aucoin.

But knowing that the Panthers had not won a game at the RBC since 2002 and then last night. My only response is:

C H O K E

The Canes did not choke. Simply, they ran out of gas the last few games and ran into a great up-n-coming goaltender in Anderson.

They've out-performed beyond their capabilities down the stretch since losing Roddy.

Players stepped it up.

I am disappointed that we will probably not make the post-season

I agree, this was an inconsistent finish to an inconsistent season. To call it the "Worst collapse ever" just displays a general lack of sports knowledge!! There have been far worse than this both in Hurricanes history, Hockey, and sports in general.

It does a disservice, assuming they win in regulation, to what is probably one of the more incredible turnarounds by the Caps to simply couch this in terms of a collapse. Who would have thought the Canes could survive the rash of long-term injuries to key players or that the Caps could go on such an amazing run.

No doubt it was disappointing to see the last 4 games turn out as they did but a collapse, IMO, is when you lose something like 9 out of 10 and the trailing team passes you with a decent run. The Caps were an incredible stretch as the pursuing team and that's tough to ignore. The Canes needed to be better down the stretch but the Caps were the real story. Give credit where credit is due.

After Brind a mour went down, there was noone around that thought the Canes could survive, let alone still have a shot on the next to last day of the season. Despite the last two losses, the team showed alot of resiliency and heart to stay in it this long. And, it still is not over.

The Southeast is the worst division in hockey...

to choke like this not only in the fashion we did but in the division we're in... this is possibly one of the biggest chokes in hockey history

Surpassed only by last year when we went from Stanely Cup to no playoff. You must agree that we are good chokers!

I am going to put a huge amount of money down on the Caps!

I am traditionally the world's worst gambler, I never win any money!

The panthers are such underdogs, any time I have ever gone with a favorite it's resulted in a LOSS!

Go Caps GO (sarcasm)

You guys are ridiculous, I didnt know the Capitals had already won against Florida :rolleyes:. I bet Washington thought the same thing about last night as we do about tonight. Face it any team can upset a team on any given night. And believe me it would take a gutsy team to blow a game, especially with all the critisism theyd get for it. Because believe me, its not easy to blow a game without it being noticable.

Collapse? Calling this a collapse ignores all the inconsistent hockey that the Hurricanes played before 2/14. It was a return to the mean and the Caps getting blazing hot down the stretch.

The fat lady might be warming up but she hasn't sung yet. The canes could still get lucky tonight, I just wouldn't bet on it.

I would much rather collapse like this than be Bills in the 90's. Four superbowls and no ring. Wings in 06, presidents cup, lost in first round. Can't think of any others but there must be much worse. Not over yet, nothing is over until tonight. Doubt Cats can pull out another, but it would be awesome.

I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU ALL! THE HURRICANES PLAYED INSANELY WELL DOWN THE STRETCH (SINCE THE ALL-STAR BREAK). THEY LOST TO A MUCH-IMPROVED CAPITALS TEAM TUESDAY AND TONIGHT THE PUCK JUST DIDN'T GO THEIR WAY! DON'T FORGET THAT THE CAPITALS HAVE MATCHED US GAME FOR GAME IN THE LAST MONTH. SO DON'T BLAME THIS SOLELY ON THE CANES! THEY ARE A VERY GOOD TEAM THAT GOT CAUGHT IN AN UNLUCKY SITUATION. A RUN LIKE THE ONE WE'VE PUT TOGETHER SINCE THE ALL-STAR BREAK WOULD NET A TEAM A PLAYOFF BERTH IN JUST ABOUT ANY OTHER SITUATION. WE JUST GOT EXTREMELY UNLUCKY THAT THE CAPITALS DECIDED TO HAVE A RECORD-BREAKING SEASON AT THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME!

How about you lay off the caps button. Aha, caps button. Anyways, I'm not upset at all. Cam played like *edit*, I don't care how much people flame me, but he was horrible. Our offense was aggressive and forechecking/backchecking. Our Defense was pressuring the puck. Those two breakaway goals, especially the shorthander, were soft, and Cam was horrible last night. 4 goals on 16 shots. It was amazing he stayed in for the third. He never made any big saves, and certainly didn't make them when they were due. Two times we made the lead within one, and Cam let in a soft one to go right back to down by two. He was certainly shown up by Anderson, a backup who played only 15 games this season, who certainly won the game for Florida, who had no offense, and mediocre defense. The 4 goals, were all soft, and Cam certainly didn't play like he wanted to go back to the playoffs. If we don't make it, we don't deserve to. I'm really fed up with the 'Canes this season, having as many chances as they could and not clinching them.

My opinion to the 'Canes and their season. And the thing that gets me is, against the PANTHERS, at HOME? A place they haven't won at in 13 games? Come on, total breakdown for Cam. I lost all respect for him, because he was the reason we lost. My opinion. <_<

What can you expect? The Caps played Tampa the night after we played them (and the Caps were rested). NOW, the same thing goes for the Panthers.

I blame the NHL for given the Caps a favorable schedule over us.

Ward? He give up uhh... a shorthanded goal!! Ward lost control over the puck behind the net and almost turned it over.

We could barely get over the blue line in the last period. We also had terrible passes.

Oh... and the fact we only have four more points then last season doesn't help either.