The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
KennyAM09

Hurricanes Not Making The Playoffs

Come on October!

Mad? I was until I got to the doors of the RBC last night. I left it right there. The same door I walked through the year before ticked off because there would be no playoff hockey. The same door that I walked through three years prior still ecstatic because I had just witnessed the Cup lifted by our team in our barn. The exact same door I had walked through five years before wondering why I wasted my money to watch a travesty unfold all year.

It's a game. It's not life or death. There are ups and downs. That's life. Of course I wish I could use those playoff tickets. But hey, next year's season tickets are paid for. One less thing to worry about.

I have pro hockey in my back yard. It's all good. :)

I think you should win a "Best Comment Award". Seriously, thank you for this comment. Some people need to hear this right now.

With that said, I can't wait for next season. Win or lose, I'll be there. So will most of the complainers. If you haven't jumped ship after the season that shall not be named (but you all know what I'm talking about), then you aren't going anywhere. We're not bottom of the barrel. We put up a good fight. We have an amazing team. Let's hope this season's ending will light a fire for the boys for next season! Let's go Canes!

At least we are begining to feel what it is like to be Cubs fans.

HEY! I'm both, plus an NC State fan.........I'm use to saying "well there is always next year"!

Besides we just have longer to look forward to the Caniac Day!

Embarrassing. They just had to go 2-2 in their last 4 games, .500 hockey, to clinch the division, and they go 1-3. I'm extremely disappointed and have given up on the core of this team with the exceptions of Staal and Cam, who absolutely worked their tails off these last few months. I'm also ticked off at the organization for touting "The Playoffs return to Carolina" for the last 3 weeks. Playoffs were never a given and they acted like it was. I'm also ticked off at the team that played absolutely pathetic from November to January, and Brind'amour was leading the way with nothing but turnovers.

Injuries are no excuse. They proved that. They got this far and then choke. I'm embarrassed right now. I hope there are a few trades this summer.

Yes, it was a choke of major proportions. On the one hand, it is a team sport and the team wins and the team loses. On the other, there are obvious strengths in the team and obvious and inexcusable weaknesses. The only good thing that might come out of this is if the pathetic defense will be rebuilt. It's time to find two if not three defensemen who want to hit and who skate with intensity. Kaberle has to go. It's time for Hedican to retire -- even though his last ten games often demonstrated tremendous defensive plays. Wallin is questionable in my mind. There are really two separate Hurricanes teams -- the forwards and centers who play hard all the time and Gleason and Corvo and Wesley; and the other defensemen. Ward is the mystery. Sometimes he is all-world and sometimes he is the worst goalie in the NHL. The team did let down themselves, the management, and the fans. It is absurd to lose to the Lightning and the Panthers when winning one of those games would guarantee the Southeast Division. I can't believe JR doesn't see how ineffectual some of the Hurricane defensemen are. Still, the team that JR built this year was impressive. I do think Lavi shares in the collapse of the team. There is zero excuse for a decent NHL team to fail to cover the point on its own power play; and given the number of short-handed goals given up by the Hurricanes, it is on Lavi. Similarly, the failure of the Hurricanes to perform consistently on the powerplay ultimately rests in part on Lavi. I think he is an excellent coach, but clearly work is needed on the powerplay and on basic fundamentals of positioning. Additionally, the key players on the team largely failed to perform when the team needed them. I can't imagine how Cole can look at his last six games and feel proud of himself. Whitney is one of my favorite players, and he had a miserable performance. Cullen, I think, is the heart of the team in many ways and he didn't rise to the occasion.

We still had an amazing season considering all the injury's to key player's and man game's lost we had and still only miss the playoff's by 1 point AND it was in our control.

the game that I can't get off my mind was the January 12 game against the Avs. Having a 4-1 lead heading into the 3rd period and end up losing 5-4 in regulation to pick up no points.

Those are the game's we have to have, like last night, missing the playoff's by 4 points last year and now 1 sucks bad, but I can't wait for next year with all the talent we have now with trade's and free agent signing's and guy's geting back healthy, we are gona do some real damage next year as long as we dont have another 350 man game's lost like this year, but again,look how close we got with everyone we had out all year long.

It seem'd like yesterday we were all on here counting down the days untill puck drop Oct 3, but before we know it, Oct. will be hear again, and we'll have another chance at the Cup, and to all my fellow Caniac's, great job this year, and just like Alex Trebek say's before the game's,we are the loudest house in the NHL and last night proved it.

At least we are begining to feel what it is like to be Cubs fans.

Nah, we've seen a championship in our lifetime. And I am a Cubs fan.

Come on October!

Mad? I was until I got to the doors of the RBC last night. I left it right there. The same door I walked through the year before ticked off because there would be no playoff hockey. The same door that I walked through three years prior still ecstatic because I had just witnessed the Cup lifted by our team in our barn. The exact same door I had walked through five years before wondering why I wasted my money to watch a travesty unfold all year.

It's a game. It's not life or death. There are ups and downs. That's life. Of course I wish I could use those playoff tickets. But hey, next year's season tickets are paid for. One less thing to worry about.

I have pro hockey in my back yard. It's all good. :)

I agree totally. A bad day at the RBC Center is still better than a good day at work.

Just thought i'd make a rare appearance to let you all know that i feel for your team, but Washington deserved it with the run they had. I personally can't wait to see what Ovechkin can do in the playoffs. They have a very solid goaltender and young team with no pressure.

anyways, must really suck to know that Florida pretty much ended your season.

There were lots of games I can't get off my mind. Like giving up three short-handed goals against the Islanders. Like the 7-1 loss against Buffalo. And like The Tampa Bay loss a few days ago scoring one goal on 39 shots. And last night took the cake.

Face it - the team that wanted it more put together a seven-game win streak to end their season. The team that didn't want it as much lost three of their last four - including the finale at home with lots of home team support, a nine-to-zero powerplay differential, and with the opponents having to switch goalies due to an injury, and against a team probably wishing they could hit the golf course as soon as possible. A sad ending made sadder by the fact that they led the division most of the season and led by six points just a little over a week ago.

Sorry to disagree about Wardo, but as much raw skill as he has, he isn't mature enough (especially psychologically) to be the number one goalie and playing so many back-to-back games under such pressure. Goaltending is a streaky thing and Cam has been the poster boy for that. He just didn't come up with the key saves that Anderson did. You knew he knew it by the way other Canes were patting him on the shoulder and consoling him afterwards during the shirt-off-their-backs session. He looked extremely dejected. While the team D certainly sucked, the game was on Cam's shoulders and he coughed up a furball. The look on Wesley's face while he was waiting his turn to give away his jersey was heart-wrenching. He played well all season. But at least he got his name on the cup. He can retire with that.

As for looking forward to next season, one of the things I'm wondering is what excuse will surface if they fail to make the playoffs three years in a row. The hangover and the injuries have already been used.

I hope the Caps represent the Southeast Division well. They deserve it.

one of the things I'm wondering is what excuse will surface if they fail to make the playoffs three years in a row.
They came to this message board and started believing all the negative things that are said about them here?

:lol:

Lol.
Yep, sometimes you just have to laugh it off. ;)

Seriously though, with the talent on we have on hand now, a farm team that got plenty of experience this year, and a trade or two, and everyone at 100% (hopefully) next year there should be no excuses. I expect this team to be loaded for bear next year.

I hate to use the word "choke", but the fact is, that's exactly what happened. We were playing amazing hockey for a month, and then when we went down the stretch (to use a Forslundism), we blew it. Very, very disappointing... it wasn't supposed to end like this.

Choke is too strong a word. Despite the many injuries the team was resiliant and came back with an amazing March. They lost on a back to back in Tampa, and they outplayed Florida. The only game they "should" have won was the game in Washington, but in the end we ran up against a Washington team that had a monster run, and a VERY favorable schedule at the end of the year. One could say Cam choked in that last game, I would say that he just didn't come up big. The goals were on point blank shots and top shelf and a breakaway. He could have stopped one of them, but we still could have lost in OT.

We have a ton of talented forwards. If JR can move a couple for defensive help we will be right there next year. The million dollar question in my mind is this. Is Cam Ward capable of becoming an average consistant NHL starter? If so we are in good shape. I think he will.

Hey - the Fayetteville Fireantz are still alive in the playoffs (of whatever league they're in). Anyone going through hockey withdrawal pains could just drive an hour and root them on. Or not.

I came across my playoff tickets earlier today...

"Round 1, Home Game A. Section 204 Row A Seats 5 and 6."

Man they were gonna be great seats too...right on the ledge...like I had always wanted...and yet now they're completely useless...like something that could've been but never will be...ugh.

And also the Versus announcers keep playing in my head from a few weeks ago...

"No Washington won't be able to catch Carolina...they'll have to be the 7th or 8th seed instead...Carolina is just playing too well right now not to make it...they've got that division wrapped up."

Yeah...wrapped up like a wet bar of soap.

Regardless of the result of the Caps game tomorrow, your boys showed a lot of heart and grit over the last 2+ months. Too bad the Eastern Conference playoffs won't have 2 teams from the SE. Florida has also shown some very good flashes and could easily be competing for the playoffs next year.

Again, congrats on overcoming so many injuries and playing great hockey after most had written you off with Roddy's injury especially.

We did show a lot of heart. We played like a team with chemistry and focus the last two months. Please explain to me why I keep hearing that it was a shocker that we were able to even breath after Brindy went down. Why would anyone write off the season because we lost 1 guy who really wasn't carrying the team and hadn't carried the team in a long time? INJURIES will always happen and we should feel lucky to have JR as our GM.

We did show a lot of heart. We played like a team with chemistry and focus the last two months. Please explain to me why I keep hearing that it was a shocker that we were able to even breath after Brindy went down. Why would anyone write off the season because we lost 1 guy who really wasn't carrying the team and hadn't carried the team in a long time? INJURIES will always happen and we should feel lucky to have JR as our GM.

Because most people don't know this team as well as we Caniacs do.

Though, to be fair, there were plenty of Caniacs who even felt the season was pretty much over then, too.

Hey - the Fayetteville Fireantz are still alive in the playoffs (of whatever league they're in). Anyone going through hockey withdrawal pains could just drive an hour and root them on. Or not.

Haha, It's the SPHL and I went to their game tonight seein as how I live 10 minutes away from the coliseum, and all I could think about was the Canes and how I won't be back at the RBC Center till Oct.

Hey let's face it... The Caps deserve to be in. The drepressing part is we would have both made it if we had picked up either the Tampa away game or the last game. It sure would have looked better for the Southeast with both of us in. Let the retooling begin

The Caps were better down the stretch and deserve to be in.....crappy calls, returning injured players..... I kind of wonder if returning the guys to the line-up was the right thing to do there in the end.....LaRose made some great play and seemed to gel well, but not so sure the other returns helped. I think line changes in the end may have hurt some. There is always next year, and having the Canes here in our backyard......well, that is something I don't want to lose. We have some great players out in the farm leagues right now, but I'd like to see some size garnered for next season. Something we lack is a big bruiser. Ruutu has guts and energy, but we need to supplement him with someone with some size. What disturbed me about both caps games was their ability at even strength to move the puck around with impunity.......like they were on a power play on our end. Plus the bad calls.....

Next season will be here before we know it, and I'll be there to cheer the Canes on, hope you all will too!

Tom

i love the canes, but geez, it's time to let some people go. mainly defencemen. god kaberle, try making a good play more than 2ce a year. i can't believe his +/- is only -4. hedican, too old, seidenberg....i don't know. wesley is the only one i actually like and he's (unfortunatley) gotta be close to retiring. and i know that some people are gonna hate me for this but we need a consistant goaltender. ward is good, but it seems he lets in the soft goals at the most inoppertune times. say friday night for example, they had 17 shots in total and he let in 4??? c'mon we had 46 shots and florida's backup made goalie made 30. at least all the goals were blocker side, it gives him something to work on over summer. anyway, i still love the boys and can't wait to see what happens next year. as for now i'm gonna have to root for the caps..........might as well cheer on someone from our division next year they will be a force to recken with, that i guarantee!

I'd like Aaron Ward back, and some more additions to defense.

Not sure what people are referring to on Lavi's line changes, but I think if we had dominating defensemen, we could play them and they could set up the offense.

Mainly, I like all the players, but we need to upgrade.

Choke?...

Hardly. Folks, when Carolina traded away Cory Stillman, Mike Commodore, and Andrew Ladd it looked from here (I'm a Caps fan...) that Carolina was positioning itself more for next season. Then, the Hurricanes went 15-3-2 over their next 20 games (including getting three of four points in two games against Washington). As well as the Caps were playing, we didn't think the Hurricanes were ever going to lose again.

Your team lost three of its last four, and that no doubt leaves a bitter taste. But could any team really have fought harder? That Carolina is not the second team in the playoffs is largely a product of what the Bruins did in that same stretch of games since Carolina made its trade. Boston played in 27 games in that stretch, and 11 of them went to extra time. That's a lot of three point games -- Boston went 13-7-7...seven extra points won in overtime or shootout losses, four of those points coming in shootout losses.

Seems to me that after a while, folks might look back on this season and remember the hard fight Carolina put up for two months to hold on to the division lead for so long.

I'm fairly sure the end of the season will be viewed as a choke. Losing three out of four to (what would have been) non-playoff teams and dropping from the third seed to the third tee time.. gaaaaaaaaaaak.

Haha, It's the SPHL and I went to their game tonight seein as how I live 10 minutes away from the coliseum, and all I could think about was the Canes and how I won't be back at the RBC Center till Oct.

Let's Go Antz!