The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
KennyAM09

Hurricanes Not Making The Playoffs

Choke?...

Hardly. Folks, when Carolina traded away Cory Stillman, Mike Commodore, and Andrew Ladd it looked from here (I'm a Caps fan...) that Carolina was positioning itself more for next season. Then, the Hurricanes went 15-3-2 over their next 20 games (including getting three of four points in two games against Washington). As well as the Caps were playing, we didn't think the Hurricanes were ever going to lose again.

Your team lost three of its last four, and that no doubt leaves a bitter taste. But could any team really have fought harder? That Carolina is not the second team in the playoffs is largely a product of what the Bruins did in that same stretch of games since Carolina made its trade. Boston played in 27 games in that stretch, and 11 of them went to extra time. That's a lot of three point games -- Boston went 13-7-7...seven extra points won in overtime or shootout losses, four of those points coming in shootout losses.

Seems to me that after a while, folks might look back on this season and remember the hard fight Carolina put up for two months to hold on to the division lead for so long.

Wow, nice perspective from a Caps fan, Peerless. Thanks. My take is the last four games were surely a choke (though hardly of the 'worst in this history of sports variety')...but a broader view does show that the Canes did play some excellent hockey under challenging circumstances for a long stretch after the trade. And, the Division likely would have easily been the Canes were it not for the even better play of the Caps.

The Canes were a sorry *edit* mediocre team this year. All they had to do was win 1 game at home and they couldnt do it. One of those losses was to the worst team in the division. Pathetic!

The Canes were a sorry *edit* mediocre team this year. All they had to do was win 1 game at home and they couldnt do it. One of those losses was to the worst team in the division. Pathetic!

I think it's hard to argue with that analysis. At home, against a truly bad team, when one win brings them the Southeast Division title, the team failed to get a win. I'd much rather have Lavi offer an apology from the entire team to the fans and say they are going to dedicate themselves to do everything humanly possible to make up for the choke than to make excuses. I'd like to hear JR say:

" We choked. We have no excuses to offer. We are going to fix what is broken and leave alone those parts of the Hurricanes machine that are working. We are going to fix the defense, the power play, the short handed goal, and the breakaway. We are not going to beat ourselves. We may lose, but other teams are going to have to beat us. I am very proud of this team and their effort in the face of adversity. They are too fine a team to have lost on April 4th. I know it. You know. They know it. On behalf of the owners, the coaches, the players, I apologize. I can promise you it won't happen again."

I think it's hard to argue with that analysis. At home, against a truly bad team, when one win brings them the Southeast Division title, the team failed to get a win. I'd much rather have Lavi offer an apology from the entire team to the fans and say they are going to dedicate themselves to do everything humanly possible to make up for the choke than to make excuses. I'd like to hear JR say:

" We choked. We have no excuses to offer. We are going to fix what is broken and leave alone those parts of the Hurricanes machine that are working. We are going to fix the defense, the power play, the short handed goal, and the breakaway. We are not going to beat ourselves. We may lose, but other teams are going to have to beat us. I am very proud of this team and their effort in the face of adversity. They are too fine a team to have lost on April 4th. I know it. You know. They know it. On behalf of the owners, the coaches, the players, I apologize. I can promise you it won't happen again."

Yeah lets go back to not beating ourselves! That worked so well for Maurice's teams that couldn't score a goal to save their lives. They made other teams beat them, and spent most the game playing defense and it worked out great! Those teams could barely win 38 games at their best because they didn't want to beat themselves. I'd rather keep loosing 4-3 than go back to watching the Canes be hemmed into their own end and center ice taking no chances. If you want a team that is dangerously offensively you have to deal with the occasional breakdown game, end of story.

Yeah lets go back to not beating ourselves! That worked so well for Maurice's teams that couldn't score a goal to save their lives. They made other teams beat them, and spent most the game playing defense and it worked out great! Those teams could barely win 38 games at their best because they didn't want to beat themselves. I'd rather keep loosing 4-3 than go back to watching the Canes be hemmed into their own end and center ice taking no chances. If you want a team that is dangerously offensively you have to deal with the occasional breakdown game, end of story.

I don't see being dangerously offensive and not beating yourself as mutually exclusive. For example, time after time this year, Hedican and Kaberle and Wallin would come down in the offensive zone and slap at the puck whether or not he had a shooting lane and without using peripheral vision to ensure that somebody had shifted to the point. It is similar to a point guard in basketball taking the ball to the wing and shooting before he checks to verify that the weak-side guard has the point. It's a mental mistake. Certainly with about 11 seconds in the first period, down 2-1 in a must win game, it's basic hockey sense to make certain the point is covered and that there is a shooting or passing lane open before a defenseman should left a shot or pass fly -- and particularly a defenseman who really doesn't have a history of scoring goals. Not beating yourself is not the same as playing a conservative, no-chances style. It does mean that all the players have to understand where they are supposed to be and where their teammates are supposed to be; and to recognize when a player is out of position. I agree that a no-chances style of plan is a snooze; but I respectfully disagree that being intelligent and having a sense of the flow of a game is equivalent to a no-chances style.

I don't see being dangerously offensive and not beating yourself as mutually exclusive. For example, time after time this year, Hedican and Kaberle and Wallin would come down in the offensive zone and slap at the puck whether or not he had a shooting lane and without using peripheral vision to ensure that somebody had shifted to the point. It is similar to a point guard in basketball taking the ball to the wing and shooting before he checks to verify that the weak-side guard has the point. It's a mental mistake. Certainly with about 11 seconds in the first period, down 2-1 in a must win game, it's basic hockey sense to make certain the point is covered and that there is a shooting or passing lane open before a defenseman should left a shot or pass fly -- and particularly a defenseman who really doesn't have a history of scoring goals. Not beating yourself is not the same as playing a conservative, no-chances style. It does mean that all the players have to understand where they are supposed to be and where their teammates are supposed to be; and to recognize when a player is out of position. I agree that a no-chances style of plan is a snooze; but I respectfully disagree that being intelligent and having a sense of the flow of a game is equivalent to a no-chances style.

All good points. With all the vibes from the loss I interpreted don't beat yourself as take no chances, not play smart hockey. Yes this team shouldn't take dumb chances but they still need to take the chances when they are there, which is a hard line to walk. I personally would rather see them occasionally take some bad chances that result in a scoring opportunity the other way, than to hold up and be conservative when they aren't sure the play will go the way they want. But that is just a style of play preference, I'd much rather see this team push it than hold back. Since Laviolette became the coach this team has always looked its best when it dictates the style of play and in my opinion that has been when they play aggressively. Yes that style does occasionally result in a breakdown game like the one against Florida but if this team plays with that intensity night in and night out those break down games don't matter because one game won't determine their season because they shouldn't have stretches like Nov-Jan this year.

Heard Forslund on The Fan this morning saying that Samsonov had a significant shoulder injury these past few weeks. If so, his performance on Friday night is quite remarkable.

Wow yep we choked. Guess we should have gotten more loser points. Folks seriously, we have more wins than anyone in our division, its just that the caps got more loser points. Until the league changes the point system, this is going to happen more and more.

Wow yep we choked. Guess we should have gotten more loser points. Folks seriously, we have more wins than anyone in our division, its just that the caps got more loser points. Until the league changes the point system, this is going to happen more and more.

Well, we snuck into the 2002 playoffs due to our tenacity at overtime points. Seems we got bit right back this year. Everyone points fingers at Cam in shoot out losses, but when some of your best players (Cole) can't hit water from a boat on clear breakaways and shoot outs, that needs correcting. Carolina has had "team" focus, but we need some pure goal scorers. Can't seem to draft any of these type of players. Or get them. Must be because they are too expensive for our small market.

I find it very hard to call missing the playoffs a colapse. Washington and Carolina were peaking at the same time. Only a couple of games decided the division.

Losing to Florida on Friday was tought, but is wrong to label it a choke (IMO) because they had 46 shots to 17. I call that attacking the goal.

It seems as though they had great chemistry on each line untill Whitney and Williams came back. Were they rushed? Not sure...

This was just two good teams coming down to the wire in the division race.

I salute the Caps, because they are a good team and I hope they do well in the playoffs. I find it hard to have any animosity towards them. I hope they destroy Philly.

Its not much of a consolation, but the River Rats made the playoffs... I think I may start purchasing their games online to tide me over. Does anyone know if Bayda, Aucoin, etc etc get to go back to Albany now that our season is over and theirs is still going on?

All good points. With all the vibes from the loss I interpreted don't beat yourself as take no chances, not play smart hockey. Yes this team shouldn't take dumb chances but they still need to take the chances when they are there, which is a hard line to walk. I personally would rather see them occasionally take some bad chances that result in a scoring opportunity the other way, than to hold up and be conservative when they aren't sure the play will go the way they want. But that is just a style of play preference, I'd much rather see this team push it than hold back. Since Laviolette became the coach this team has always looked its best when it dictates the style of play and in my opinion that has been when they play aggressively. Yes that style does occasionally result in a breakdown game like the one against Florida but if this team plays with that intensity night in and night out those break down games don't matter because one game won't determine their season because they shouldn't have stretches like Nov-Jan this year.

I am in 100% agreement with your premise that when in doubt opt for being aggressive and to the style of taking the game to the opponent rather than depending on the counter-attack. The occasional breakdown in communication is outweighed by the benefit of being the team that controls the tempo. The number of breakdowns gets diminished when players on the ice have instinctive hockey sense. My complaint with Hedican, Kaberle, and Wallin is that they often make decisions that are bewilderingly poor in terms of ice presence and none of them hit anybody unless they accidentally collide with an opponent or a teammate. I have zero problem with Corvo not always exercising perfect judgment and the same is true for Gleason. Wesley seems to be the model of a defenseman who uses great judgment and positioning. We have that kind of talent on the offensive end, and have three players, Gleason, Corvo, and Wesley who can play that style on defense. If we fix the defense, the team has enormous potential to play aggressive, smart, and exciting hockey.

Its not much of a consolation, but the River Rats made the playoffs... I think I may start purchasing their games online to tide me over. Does anyone know if Bayda, Aucoin, etc etc get to go back to Albany now that our season is over and theirs is still going on?

Bayda, Aucoin, and Brookbank can't. They were up here long enough to be removed from the Albany roster. Conboy can.

Choke?...

Hardly. Folks, when Carolina traded away Cory Stillman, Mike Commodore, and Andrew Ladd it looked from here (I'm a Caps fan...) that Carolina was positioning itself more for next season. Then, the Hurricanes went 15-3-2 over their next 20 games (including getting three of four points in two games against Washington). As well as the Caps were playing, we didn't think the Hurricanes were ever going to lose again.

Your team lost three of its last four, and that no doubt leaves a bitter taste. But could any team really have fought harder? That Carolina is not the second team in the playoffs is largely a product of what the Bruins did in that same stretch of games since Carolina made its trade. Boston played in 27 games in that stretch, and 11 of them went to extra time. That's a lot of three point games -- Boston went 13-7-7...seven extra points won in overtime or shootout losses, four of those points coming in shootout losses.

Seems to me that after a while, folks might look back on this season and remember the hard fight Carolina put up for two months to hold on to the division lead for so long.

You make some very good points and I am proud of our teams effort. The Caps deserve the playoffs. I just wish it could have been both of us representing the SE. I still feel like we choked because we couldn't beat FL in our building when we had everything to gain and they had nothing but team pride. I think we should have found a way to get it done. I'm not questioning our effort because it was plain to see we gave everything we had. Our defense let us down. It hurts so much more to be eliminated at the last game then weeks earlier. I wish the Caps the best of luck in the playoffs.

We played the last 2 MONTHS of the season with TWO NHL-caliber LINES on the bench due to injury, along with a smattering of top D-men outages as well.

Choke? Not even close. Laviolette ought to get consideration for Coach of the Year for keeping a team competitive that EVERYONE gave up for dead a couple of times - the OTT trade and the Brind'amour injury.

I can't be more excited about next year than right now. We get guys healthy, we've got a number of young guys who got MAJOR NHL minutes when they otherwise wouldn't, we get rid of some salary with real opportunities to improve our Defense, amd our farm club is in the playoffs as well, telling me they've pushed playing experience and winning down into their organization as well. We get a decent draft pick in a deep draft, that's good too.

OTT may be in the playoffs, but they're gagging on something a lot bigger than we ever swallowed this season.

WAS is a good, young, energetic team. Good luck to them, but better luck to them keeping that team together long term. Kolzig, Huet, Fedorov, Bradley, Cooke? UFAs! Eminger, Morrison, Green, Fehr, Laich, Gordon? RFAs! Who DOESN'T think WAS is going to face some tough decisions about matching offers? They've got $34Million tied up already for next year before any of these guys get signed.

Our UFAs next year? Samsonov, Hedican, Grahame, Wesley, Letowski, Brookbank, Conboy (Rule VI), Leighton, Aucoin, Bayda. Honestly, other than Sergei, Aucoin and Bayda - big whoop.

We're in great shape - the future's bright in Carolina!

You make some very good points and I am proud of our teams effort. The Caps deserve the playoffs. I just wish it could have been both of us representing the SE. I still feel like we choked because we couldn't beat FL in our building when we had everything to gain and they had nothing but team pride. I think we should have found a way to get it done. I'm not questioning our effort because it was plain to see we gave everything we had. Our defense let us down. It hurts so much more to be eliminated at the last game then weeks earlier. I wish the Caps the best of luck in the playoffs.

Heard Forslund on The Fan this morning saying that Samsonov had a significant shoulder injury these past few weeks. If so, his performance on Friday night is quite remarkable.

sounds like he must have been playing on pure adrenaline.

will the injury require surgery?

Choke? Not even close. Laviolette ought to get consideration for Coach of the Year for keeping a team competitive that EVERYONE gave up for dead a couple of times - the OTT trade and the Brind'amour injury.

I don't think there has ever been a coach to win "Coach of the Year" yet miss the playoffs. So while your optimism is admirable as a Canes fan, I highly doubt anyone in th NHL awards voting staff are giving Laviolette any consideration.

What is "choking"? My understanding is that when a player fails to execute athletic manuevers due to nerves, that is choking. Losing to a team that you are expected to beat, is not in and of itself, choking. Perhaps, we were nervous. Perhaps nerves was the reason 44 shots on goal missed. Hockey is not a sport conducive to choking. To much action and not enough time to think, which would allow for choking.

Why my concern for the meaning of Choke? To say that an athelete choked, is about the worse accusation you could make. I doubt JR or Lavi would lash out and say that to appease a few fans.

Did we collapse our string of energy driven wins run out. Yes. Did we Choke. Hardly.

Here's the definition of choke:

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

choke Audio Help (chōk) Pronunciation Key

4. To fail to perform effectively because of nervous agitation or tension, especially in an athletic contest: choked by missing an easy putt on the final hole.

In my book by this definition we choked. Carolina was the superior team. We were at home. We failed to perform effectively because of nervous agitation or tension. We blew it. I am still in mourning.

What is "choking"? My understanding is that when a player fails to execute athletic manuevers due to nerves, that is choking. Losing to a team that you are expected to beat, is not in and of itself, choking. Perhaps, we were nervous. Perhaps nerves was the reason 44 shots on goal missed. Hockey is not a sport conducive to choking. To much action and not enough time to think, which would allow for choking.

Why my concern for the meaning of Choke? To say that an athelete choked, is about the worse accusation you could make. I doubt JR or Lavi would lash out and say that to appease a few fans.

Did we collapse our string of energy driven wins run out. Yes. Did we Choke. Hardly.

When then Bruins lost in the first round twice to the 8th place seed after finishing 1st, they were called choke artists.

When the Senators continued to lose in the 1st or 2nd rounds of the playoffs for years despite leading the league in goals, they were called choke artists.

Unfortunately, yes, when you lose a game you should otherwise win, it's called choking. I didn't watch Carolina/Florida game so i can't comment on how bad they played, but on paper it appears that they choked. And judging by many of the posts i've read in this read, it seems like many canes fans believe they did.

You win some, you lose some. Everyone chokes eventually. Montreal choked in 92 against Hartford, despite winning 1st in the conference and losing the the 8th place Whalers.

Theres no excuse losing to the worst team in the division.

If you think Florida is the worst team in the division you aren't paying attention. Tampa was the third worst team in the league and Atlanta was the 3rd worst. Still should have won the game but Florida was the 3rd worst team in the division.

If you think Florida is the worst team in the division you aren't paying attention. Tampa was the third worst team in the league and Atlanta was the 3rd worst. Still should have won the game but Florida was the 3rd worst team in the division.

We lost to the Lightning a few games earlier ;)