The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
KennyAM09

Hurricanes Not Making The Playoffs

Here's the definition of choke:

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

choke Audio Help (chōk) Pronunciation Key

4. To fail to perform effectively because of nervous agitation or tension, especially in an athletic contest: choked by missing an easy putt on the final hole.

In my book by this definition we choked. Carolina was the superior team. We were at home. We failed to perform effectively because of nervous agitation or tension. We blew it. I am still in mourning.

I have 2 serious questions and I mean no disrespect by asking them:

1.) How do you know that it was nervous agitation or tension. The Hockey gods can and do play cruel tricks, for example having a team lose that out shoots another team 47 to 17.

2.) What if we had won. Suppose for example Ruutu's shot that hit the post, went in and one of theirs that went in hit the post. and the open net shot that Anderson stood on his head to stop went in. Would you be arguing that the Canes choked, i.e., failed to perform effectively because of nervous agitation or tension, that we blew it? The play would be no different.

Those of us who say we lost to a team we should not have lost to, have lost sight of the obvious parity in talent in the NHL. On any given night any team can beat any other team. We beat the Black Hawks 4-0. and the Caps lost several days later to the Hawks, 5-0. The significant difference? Caps fans did not disrespect their team by calling them chokers.

dabrams, I'm still in mourning as well. What happened is we played hard in close games and came up short. I have come to grips with the probability that we were over-achievers who likely should not have been in the position to even have the possibility of a collapse. Our team, the Canes, were courageous, never give up, young men with character. Every single one of them stepped up and elevated their game by sheer exertion or energy and desire. If it gives you pleasure to call the Canes Chokers, so be it. I prefer to think of them as heros who fell just short of winning.

In the days when my children were children, when they deserved love the least seemed to be when they needed it the most. Even if what you say about the nervous agitation and tension were true, I could not bring myself to make the kind of accusations I have been reading here. I love them too much for that. I'm not a Leafs', or Slug's or any other team's fan pulling for the Canes out of convenience because I got transferred into NC or moved to North Carolina because it is the closest I could get to heaven without dying. ;) Those guys, win lose or draw, are my guys.

Go Canes!

To All Canes fans,

Congrats on an amazing year. Thank you for making the season an exciting one. I'm sorry you all came so very close, as it very well could have been us (Washington), who did not make it. I know how devastating it must feel. I am so proud that both Carolina and Washington (and maybe Florida) have brought tremendous respectability to the Southeast division, that is not the worst in hockey. Why rate one over the other anyway? Most NHL players have a tremendous amount of heart and any TRUE fan would know not to be ridiculous, and look solely at stats or records etc.

True, Carolina struggled over the last week, or so, but realistically the caps did win their last 7 and like 12 of 13 i think. I still can't believe it. I truly thought you guys had it won two weeks ago. A true fan knows teams can run hot and cold or somewhere in between. As a Caps fan I was hoping for that on both ends of the spectrum, but I knew either team would feel extremely bad when it was all said and done, and we can thank those competitors on the ice for that.

I was wondering how you guys were winning with the key injuries. And I was pleasantly surprised to see those quality wins from Carolina.

And the last time Carolina won the Southeast what happened? They go on to win the Stanley Cup! And how about Tampa Bay? So, no I can honestly say WE are not the worst division in hockey.

Thanks to all Canes fans for a remarkable year, and best of luck this coming season.

Sincerely,

A humble Caps Fan

I have 2 serious questions and I mean no disrespect by asking them:

1.) How do you know that it was nervous agitation or tension. The Hockey gods can and do play cruel tricks, for example having a team lose that out shoots another team 47 to 17.

2.) What if we had won. Suppose for example Ruutu's shot that hit the post, went in and one of theirs that went in hit the post. and the open net shot that Anderson stood on his head to stop went in. Would you be arguing that the Canes choked, i.e., failed to perform effectively because of nervous agitation or tension, that we blew it? The play would be no different.

Those of us who say we lost to a team we should not have lost to, have lost sight of the obvious parity in talent in the NHL. On any given night any team can beat any other team. We beat the Black Hawks 4-0. and the Caps lost several days later to the Hawks, 5-0. The significant difference? Caps fans did not disrespect their team by calling them chokers.

dabrams, I'm still in mourning as well. What happened is we played hard in close games and came up short. I have come to grips with the probability that we were over-achievers who likely should not have been in the position to even have the possibility of a collapse. Our team, the Canes, were courageous, never give up, young men with character. Every single one of them stepped up and elevated their game by sheer exertion or energy and desire. If it gives you pleasure to call the Canes Chokers, so be it. I prefer to think of them as heros who fell just short of winning.

In the days when my children were children, when they deserved love the least seemed to be when they needed it the most. Even if what you say about the nervous agitation and tension were true, I could not bring myself to make the kind of accusations I have been reading here. I love them too much for that. I'm not a Leafs', or Slug's or any other team's fan pulling for the Canes out of convenience because I got transferred into NC or moved to North Carolina because it is the closest I could get to heaven without dying. ;) Those guys, win lose or draw, are my guys.

Go Canes!

It's a reasonable question. I base my opinion that nervousness took over on the fact that the errors which were made to give away goals were the type that players using their best judgment don't make. An NHL player knows absolutely with 11 seconds left in a half and down 2-1, never, ever, ever try a shot or pass from the wing unless you are 100% positive it will not result in an end of the period goal and that the point is covered. I base my opinion on the fact that the Hurricanes had gone years without losing to Florida at home. I take zero pleasure in reaching the conclusion that they choked. I also see no reason to rationalize. The Hurricanes were a far superior team and they didn't get the job done. They didn't lose because the Panthers had a super human game. They lost because the Hurricanes made mistakes that they never should have made. To use your analogy about child-rearing -- children need love when they are the least lovable; but they also deserve the respect of being told when they make mistakes. Actions have consequences. One learns from taking responsibility for one's mistakes. Teams only learn from their mistakes when they recognize they made a mistake in the first place. In the case of the Hurricanes after the arrival of Samsonov, Corvo, Ruutu, and Eaves and the RATs, the Hurricanes gave tremendous effort and showed courage. Unfortunately, in the last four games, they really didn't perform to that same level. So as I see it, when a superior team at crunch time loses to an inferior team as a result of poor judgment that's choking. Everybody who is honest with himself or herself who has played competitive sports will admit there has been at least one game where despite his or her competitive spirit, he or she choked. It could be a free throw with no time left, missing an open receiver, shooting from the wing without the point covered; but it happens in sports. To me, loser athletes always have an excuse and winners admit they screwed up and don't let it happen the next time.

WOW days later it's still hard to believe we didn't make the playoffs. Perhaps this will be a good character builder for the team for next season. The bottom line down the stretch some of our best players weren't our best players.

Forgot to add our RFAs next year = Ruutu, Eaves, Gleason, Seidenberg. I'd love to see the D-men back for sure. Ruutu would be good, I haven't seen enough of Eaves to say one way or the other. Either way, we're in much better shape than WAS heading into next year, $$$-wise.

We played the last 2 MONTHS of the season with TWO NHL-caliber LINES on the bench due to injury, along with a smattering of top D-men outages as well.

Choke? Not even close. Laviolette ought to get consideration for Coach of the Year for keeping a team competitive that EVERYONE gave up for dead a couple of times - the OTT trade and the Brind'amour injury.

I can't be more excited about next year than right now. We get guys healthy, we've got a number of young guys who got MAJOR NHL minutes when they otherwise wouldn't, we get rid of some salary with real opportunities to improve our Defense, amd our farm club is in the playoffs as well, telling me they've pushed playing experience and winning down into their organization as well. We get a decent draft pick in a deep draft, that's good too.

OTT may be in the playoffs, but they're gagging on something a lot bigger than we ever swallowed this season.

WAS is a good, young, energetic team. Good luck to them, but better luck to them keeping that team together long term. Kolzig, Huet, Fedorov, Bradley, Cooke? UFAs! Eminger, Morrison, Green, Fehr, Laich, Gordon? RFAs! Who DOESN'T think WAS is going to face some tough decisions about matching offers? They've got $34Million tied up already for next year before any of these guys get signed.

Our UFAs next year? Samsonov, Hedican, Grahame, Wesley, Letowski, Brookbank, Conboy (Rule VI), Leighton, Aucoin, Bayda. Honestly, other than Sergei, Aucoin and Bayda - big whoop.

We're in great shape - the future's bright in Carolina!