The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Dasher5227

Three Point Games

It is interesting because without this dumb loser point which i've hated since day 1 were not only in the playoffs but we're again the winners of the division.

I have no problem with forcing a winner, but do not give the loser a point? These are prolly out of order but the main thing is Boston is out and we're in. Boston has no right to be in this playoff....

Montr

If you go over to the "Around the NHL" forum - there's a thread over there. I'd be using my playoff strips instead of sitting on a deposit for next year, for sure.

I always thought a game should only be worth 2 points, if you saw fit to award a loser points for OT loss divide it in half, 1.5 points for a win, .5 for a loss, kind of goofy but why should some games be worth a total of three points? Like you mentioned if another conference played more defensive games and ended up in more ties, why should they be rewarded with more points?

What is the most points a team has had and not made the playoffs? I know years ago a mid 80's season would get you in, now with the OT points it is always nearer 90.

Can you believe that ATL was in first in the SE in mid Feb?

If you go over to the "Around the NHL" forum - there's a thread over there. I'd be using my playoff strips instead of sitting on a deposit for next year, for sure.

The playoff strips bought by STH's are worthless and they just credit our accounts, is that correct? Is there any need to turn them in? I figured I should not keep them as it might be bad Kharma, maybe have a ceremonial burning of them! When and how? Wednesday night when the playoff puck drops!

What is the most points a team has had and not made the playoffs? I know years ago a mid 80's season would get you in, now with the OT points it is always nearer 90.

I beleive it was Colorado's 95 pts last year.

I just thought it would be interesting to point out that the canes tied for 4th most wins (in our conference) this season and still failed to make the playoffs because of our inability to take our losses to overtime. I feel that the three-point games seem to favor teams that play a more defensive game (trap) and to me they are less exciting than offense geared teams. I was just wondering whether everyone else is perfectly fine with the current system. Why or why not?

So did the Caps so whats the point?

Wanna add what your talking about to your sentence?

So did the caps.....blank........

Sure... he was whining about the Canes having the 4th most wins so I am pointing out it doesn't matter because so did the Caps. The Caps have 43 as well and won... face it.

Sure... he was whining about the Canes having the 4th most wins so I am pointing out it doesn't matter because so did the Caps. The Caps have 43 as well and won... face it.

The system is what is it is and helped the Canes in 2002. But I think the point was about equity and didn't imply the Caps shouldn't have made. You made an incredible run and earned it. If it were me and I'd focus on that and not being ungracious to other fan bases who felt the disappointment.

I think 3 point games are kind of a double edged sword. Maybe next year we will be the team who gets into the playoffs bc we had a lot of OT losses, would you be complaining then? Its just unfortunate for us that this year we were not able to bring games into OT, and other teams were.

Plus basically the only reason there are 3 point games is to get rid of the "ties" that used to happen. Its pretty much the same because back in the old days, if it was tied after the 3rd period it was guranteed that both teams would get at least one point. A team could get two if they scored in the OT period. Now it is one team is guranteed one point, and the other team gets two because of the Shootout.

Correct me if I am wrong on the tie situation, I cant remember watching much hockey until I was about 5 (When the Canes moved here) so Im not quite sure if I got this right.

1.5 and .5? Thats not fare because if you win in reg you get 2 so 1.5 isn't fair.

I personally believe that it should be all or nothing.

If you win in OT you get 2 if you lose in OT you get 0.

After a the whole roster goes through the shoutout it should be a 1 point 1 point tie.

Thats fare

A win is a win

A loss is a loss

1.5 and .5? Thats not fare because if you win in reg you get 2 so 1.5 isn't fair.

I personally believe that it should be all or nothing.

If you win in OT you get 2 if you lose in OT you get 0.

After a the whole roster goes through the shoutout it should be a 1 point 1 point tie.

Thats fare

A win is a win

A loss is a loss

That is cool being all or nothing, but if they insist on giving something then how can an overtime game be worth more poits than a regulation win. The western conference is noted for having more D but we would have made it in with our 92 points there. Maybe the more defensive oriented conference does not get more points from OT games. Might be fun to check the stats.

I think people have been looking at the whole OTL deal this year wrong. While it's true we had the third most wins in the conference, people are omitting that we also had more regulation losses (33) than any of the 16 playoff teams. We turn a few those regulation losses into OTLs and it's a different story.

I think people have been looking at the whole OTL deal this year wrong. While it's true we had the third most wins in the conference, people are omitting that we also had more regulation losses (33) than any of the 16 playoff teams. We turn a few those regulation losses into OTLs and it's a different story.

The argument is whether teams should get an extra point for losing. Yes if you look at regulation losses we have more than the 16 playoff teams. However, if you take all those OT losses and add them to the regulation losses to get total losses, the East would look like this:

Montreal and Pitt: 35 total losses

NJ 36 total losses

Caps, Sens, and CANES 39 total losses

Rags and Philly 40 total losses

Bruins 41 total losses

I am not an advocate of giving compensation for losing. I also hate having to explain this system to newbies because I know the look that is coming afterward.

Maybe we should start counting it like this LOL OMFG ROFL

Division games = 4 Points per game and if you lose you still get 2 points hahah

Conference Games = 2 Points per game and if you lose you still get 1 point haha

League Games = 1 Point per game and if you lose you get a pack of beer and a storm squad girl for the night

Then the Canes would make the playoffs for sure lol

League Games = 1 Point per game and if you lose you get a pack of beer and a storm squad girl for the night

funny :rolleyes:

funny :rolleyes:

<_<

Your ideas are pretty absurd...

But funny :)

You have to understand the history of the OT to really get an idea of why we have the three point games right now.

For a majority of the career of the NHL, both teams would get a point for a tie if after 5 min. of OT, there was not a winner. The OT winner would get 2 points, the loser would get nothing. Well because of this, OT was very very boring hockey to watch. Teams didn't try to score - instead they focused on not allowing the other team to score to make sure they ensured themselves a point. Unless there was a power play, break away or some crazy mistake by the goalie, most OT games ended in ties.

This got pretty boring so they took a skater off the ice to increase the speed and to increase the chances of scoring (for those unaware, goals per time on ice is much higher 4 on 4 than 5 on 5. When the sides are equal, less people on the ice = skaters advantage). Well this helped a bit, however, the same strategy of not giving up a goal was in effect.

The they decided well if you lose in OT, you still get a point just like if you tied. This created teams have a 4 column record and most coaches today have 4 digits for their career record. This created teams going for the goal b/c a loss didn't matter.

Well, this still didn't work to some point. If the Canes were 1 ahead of Atlanta in the standings and they were in OT, they still would play defensive hockey to prevent losing the 1 point lead. However, this still was a great idea.

Then the lockout happens. The NHL lost its contract with ESPN and most of its interest among the country. Now they needed something to once again create some interest in the game, this brings us to shootouts. While it completely sucks to play 65 min. of hockey and they have a team beat you based on breakaways, it does create an interest in hockey from the non hockey audience and more importantly, every time a game goes to a shootout, the shootout highlights are ALWAYS included in the package - it guarantees a game winning goal and some sort of celebration on the ice.

Now I personally don't care if we are playing a Western Team if we lose a shootout and give them an extra point, but when a DIVISION IS LOST b/c of a shootout (like it was to us - we win the shootout against Washington, we win the division), I have to disagree with the current setup. I still think that shootouts are a good idea to guarantees a winner and is so easy to market to the general sports audience.

However, I feel a team should be rewarded for winning in regulation as opposed to OT / Shootout. A regulation win should be 3 points, an OT win should be 2 points and an OT loss should be 1 point. I know a lot of people feel this way. I just can't see why winning the 6th round of a shootout is rewarded the same as a 6-0 regulation win.

You have to understand the history of the OT to really get an idea of why we have the three point games right now.

Personally I don't feel like I need to understand the history of the OT to make a decision on whether I like to compensate losers. The issue is not why it exists, the issue is do you like it?

Anyone who has been a fan for more than 3 seasons remembers sitting though those boring OT's just to leave in a zero/zero tie - just like it started. It. Stunk. For that reason, I am thrilled with the shootout. It is an exciting way to end the game in a timely manner, with a winner without us having to sit there all freakin' night. However, even knowing the history of how it all evolved, I am still of the opinion that when they decided to change the format to ensure every game had a winner, I would rather it be an all-or-nothing situation.

I think the shootout could become even more exciting if the losing point was taken away. Teams would have to take it much more serious and I think we could see some really great things develop. We are going to be playing more games against the Western Conference. Teams don't care as much about giving away an extra point to a team in the other conference. But when you change the format to take away that point for losing, it becomes much more imperative to win. Every point counts (See 2007-08 Carolina Hurricanes for more details).

After seeing Cam's performance in the shoot-outs this year and knowing our chances of winning these without significant improvement in this area, I still think losers should get nothing. That should remove any thoughts of bias based on current standings.