The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Dasher5227

Three Point Games

I am surprised no one has stated the obvious yet 3 points for a reg win 0 for a reg loss. 2 points for an OT win 1 point for an OTL

Obviously? :unsure:

Yup, that's really simplifying it. So - how many points will it take to make the playoffs in your system?

I am surprised no one has stated the obvious yet 3 points for a reg win 0 for a reg loss. 2 points for an OT win 1 point for an OTL

Because its not!

3 Points for a reg win and 2 Points for a ot win isn't fair.

A win is a win and shouldn't have different values.

Keep the point system the same. Just win ONE more game somewhere and the Canes would've been in. Two games come to mind, Colorado scoring three in the third to win by one, the Caps winning the shoot-out as the Canes shooters looked disinterested. At least two of them did. There is three points right there.

Like the current system or not(I think they should eliminate to point for any type of loss), it is the current system and no matter how you look at it, what is done is done and there will be no playoffs at the RBC for the 2nd year in a row.

About a month ago there was discussion about changing the point system. Well it was being discussed on XM so I don't know if it was just them discussing it or if the league thought about it as well, but there were 2 systems being discussed:

1) 2 points for a Regulation Win, 1 point for an OT Win, 0 points for a loss

2) 3 points for a Regulation Win, 2 points for an OT Win, 1 point for an OT loss.

The reason behind this was b/c teams were playing for that point. Teams would sit back in the 3rd to ensure they get a point. This way will force teams to play for that regulation win so they get that extra point.

IDK, but it sounds like a good idea to me. Frankly I've never liked the loser point. If you lose you lose, you shouldn't be rewarded for losing, this isn't the mighty mites.

The problem with not giving the loser a point in OT is then you have teams sitting back and not trying to score in the OT. Also, if this were the case, the shootout should not happen.

The problem with not giving the loser a point in OT is then you have teams sitting back and not trying to score in the OT. Also, if this were the case, the shootout should not happen.

I'm confused, if the loser doesn't get a point, then why would teams sit back in OT and not try to score. Wouldn't you want to score so you get a point?

I'm confused, if the loser doesn't get a point, then why would teams sit back in OT and not try to score. Wouldn't you want to score so you get a point?

Read my longer post above, it explains it.

The only way a team could get 0 points for a loss would be if they did ties again. I doubt the NHL would ever use the shootout and give 0 to a loser, and the shootouts are way to marketable to get rid of, so that ain't happening.

People within hockey complain and hate the shootouts enough already, imagine them being 2 point swings instead of 1 point swings!!

I still feel the best scenario is 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for an OT win, one for an OT loss.

Why should a win in regulation be worth more than a win in OT? They're both wins, the team accomplished it's ultimate goal.

They should just keep it simple. 2 points for a win, always. 0 points for a loss, always. You want that 2 points? Better make sure you get it done in regulation. If it goes to OT and you lose, it's because you couldn't get it done in regulation.

I am much more for only 2 points for any win than I am for 0 for an OT loss.

There is no way the owners would allow a team to recieve 0 points if there is still a shootout involved and the league does not want to get rid of the shootouts b/c they are so easy to market. Everytime you have a shootout, the star of each team is on the ice.

If you took the shootouts out and went back to ties and 0 for losses, then you will have teams sitting back not trying to score. Very very boring.

Trust me, the point for an OT loss is a good idea and the notions of shootouts has worked in the NHL. Most fans love it and to the non-hockey audience, it is a very cool and simple thing to see.

Because its not!

3 Points for a reg win and 2 Points for a ot win isn't fair.

A win is a win and shouldn't have different values.

Then wouldn't the simplest thing be to make it a win is a win and a loss is a loss, no matter when they occurred? That would eliminate the need for a point system, too, as you'd just have to look at the number of wins for the standings. What team is going to sit back and not play hard in OT or SO when the game is still all or nothing, either? It would over all other systems make it the most exciting and simplest system for the fans, if that's what this is all about.

The real problem with all of this is trying to keep the points system as a legacy of the game (which, let's face it, was only necessary because of having ties), and changing it so that every game must have a winner. By bringing about the latter it screws up the point system. It needs to be radically changed in order for it to truly work.

Either an OT win should really count less (why does a team deserve the same amount of points when they couldn't get it done in regulation?) and they go to the 3 regulation win/2 ot or so win/1 ot or so loss/0 for a loss setup, or all losses should count nothing. Having magical extra points popping out of nowhere is the biggest complaint about the current system.

The problem with the 3 point system is that it really messes up the standings, and IMO opinion makes the W-L-T system a much better option in the end. W-L-T or W-L is much easier for the fans to understand than RW-OTW-OTL-RL, or different versions of that.