The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

John Forslund on 99.9 The Fan

I love the fact that Forslund didn't dance around the issues. We need defense, Grahame was awful - we need another backup goalie, etc. This team is so close to being back to the top of the conference again, and regardless if we had made the playoffs and the Cup or missed the playoffs like we did, this season was critical in trying to get this team younger with Samsonov, Corvo, Eaves, (Sutter and Borer's development), etc.

Kaberle's shoulder surgery might explain a lot too. We knew the guys were really banged up and there've been speculations, but I wonder just how bad it was. These guys deserve a healthier 08-09 season after this season and last season.

I think the larger issue would be the fact that alot of our guys are getting injuries. Could it be that other teams have free reign to run us??? I know injuries plague every team, but come on, we've had 2 seasons of serious injuries. Let me ask you this: how may injuries did the Rangers have? Anyone runs their players, Colton Orr cleans it up. Plus, he's a decent player to boot. There has to be a consequence for running a player. Some would say the winning is the ultimate consequence, but even that we're not doing.

Could it be that our overall conditioning or shoulder rehab sucks?

I don't know the answer to this, but have pondered this for the last 2 seasons.

This injury situation is ridiculous. It seems that at one point in the season everyone has been injured. I think we seriously need to think about getting a new trainer/rehab staff/medical support team. Having an enforcer out on the ice would greatly help. Teams would think twice before taking a run at any of our players.

This injury situation is ridiculous. It seems that at one point in the season everyone has been injured. I think we seriously need to think about getting a new trainer/rehab staff/medical support team. Having an enforcer out on the ice would greatly help. Teams would think twice before taking a run at any of our players.
New trainer or new training regime, I agree. Some improved hygiene practices to prevent the spread of the flu virus is needed too. But I would like to see the team focus on bringing in players that have a healthy track record. The luck ran out a bit this year with Walker, who has had an injury-prone career, but was re-signed last off season any way. Ruutu and Eaves are two recent pick-ups that I would not like to see the team make for similar players in the near future (not that I don

Before you guys kill the training staff, remember that no trainer can do anything to prevent a concussion or a broken bone. How many of our lost games were due to those?

^ Or torn knee ligaments... Take those factors out, our man games lost is under 100... There's nothing wrong with our training staff. Now do we need a cheap-shot deterrent on the check line? I would say yes...

Before you guys kill the training staff, remember that no trainer can do anything to prevent a concussion or a broken bone. How many of our lost games were due to those?

Agree totally. Same is true for Ligaments.

Sorry about misunderstanding the point of this thread. I know, pretty sad that Im still hanging around your board trying to rub salt in the wounds when I could be enjoying the first playoffs my team has seen in many years. I gotta run now because I dont want the bandwagon to leave without me, Im kinda new to cheering for the Caps this season. Good luck to you Canes fans next season!

Free Reign? For the second year in a row you lead the league with the most power play minutes granted...420. Canes fans always complain about calls yet don't even see the calls they get. No one ran your players ...its called hockey... you get hit. The Ref's against that FLA game you lost tried to hand that game to you with 18:00 minutes in PP Time. Sorry but at some point the Canes lost it... no one hosed them out of anything... They had MANY chances to take care of what needed to be done and did not do it. Every team has injuries...the Caps had plenty. At what point to the fans stop reaching for excuses and face the fact they just got beat.

Umm, I think you missed the point of this thread in your haste to call out our fanbase again. I think its time you go and enjoy your playoff run elsewhere.

Thanks for visiting, we'll see you next season.

Free Reign? For the second year in a row you lead the league with the most power play minutes granted...420. Canes fans always complain about calls yet don't even see the calls they get. No one ran your players ...its called hockey... you get hit. The Ref's against that FLA game you lost tried to hand that game to you with 18:00 minutes in PP Time. Sorry but at some point the Canes lost it... no one hosed them out of anything... They had MANY chances to take care of what needed to be done and did not do it. Every team has injuries...the Caps had plenty. At what point to the fans stop reaching for excuses and face the fact they just got beat.

Umm, I think you missed the point of this thread in your haste to call out our fanbase again. I think its time you go and enjoy your playoff run elsewhere.

Thanks for visiting, we'll see you next season.

Thanks for posting John's comments.

How can you blame the training staff, ESPECIALLY when someone like Larose comes back off of his broken leg and has his first NHL hat trick?? You have to blame the style of hockey that the Hurricanes play which is a very fast-paced system. At least that's what I would blame it on.

John mentions going out and getting a veteran goaltender but I wonder if Leighton could fill that role as the backup just as good? I think defense is more important like John said.

-Wesley does his job but offers little offense. I think he'll stay because if Chelios can do it, he can do it. Did he even score a goal this year though?

-Kaberle has never gained his confidence back in my opinion, which makes him vulnerable everytime he's on the ice.

Wallin is physical and does his job ok.

-Hedican gave it one more try and I commend him for that. I doubt however that he'll be offered much to stick around which probably forces -him to retire.

-Borer showed great potential and i'd like to see him given a shot.

I'm torn though as whether to get another puck-moving defenseman or a tough physical one. We'll have to see what's out there.

I am going to hijack this thread and post more links to the radio interviews posted today on WRAL:

Jim Rutherford:

http://www.wral.com/sports/999thefan/audio/2706291/

Eric Staal:

http://www.wral.com/sports/999thefan/audio/2706349/

Tim Gleason:

http://www.wral.com/sports/999thefan/audio/2706405/

Peter Laviolette:

http://www.wral.com/sports/999thefan/audio/2706393/

Sergei Samsonov:

http://www.wral.com/sports/999thefan/audio/2706457/

I am going to hijack this thread and post more links to the radio interviews posted today on WRAL:

Jim Rutherford:

http://www.wral.com/sports/999thefan/audio/2706291/[/post]

Eric Staal:

http://www.wral.com/sports/999thefan/audio/2706349/

Tim Gleason:

http://www.wral.com/sports/999thefan/audio/2706405/

Peter Laviolette:

http://www.wral.com/sports/999thefan/audio/2706393/

Sergei Samsonov:

http://www.wral.com/sports/999thefan/audio/2706457/

Thanks for posting the links.

Just gotta say- I am loving The Fan! I think they do the best job locally of covering our team.

Thanks for posting the links.

Just gotta say- I am loving The Fan! I think they do the best job locally of covering our team.

They do a good job but we have little to compare them against . LOL

Thanks for posting John's comments.

John mentions going out and getting a veteran goaltender but I wonder if Leighton could fill that role as the backup just as good? I think defense is more important like John said.

-Wesley does his job but offers little offense. I think he'll stay because if Chelios can do it, he can do it. Did he even score a goal this year though?

-Kaberle has never gained his confidence back in my opinion, which makes him vulnerable everytime he's on the ice.

Wallin is physical and does his job ok.

-Hedican gave it one more try and I commend him for that. I doubt however that he'll be offered much to stick around which probably forces -him to retire.

-Borer showed great potential and i'd like to see him given a shot.

I've been pretty tough on Kaberle this year but let's remember, he still has a bum shoulder (surgery today or tomorrow) so that could account for a lot.

Hedican - I'm pretty sure we'll see him as a contestant on Dancing With the Stars next season - that is, if his hip, back and knee hold out!

They do a good job but we have little to compare them against . LOL

True but the constant Mr. Rutherford comments from Maniscalco were ridiculous. Very amateurish, akin to something an intern would do.

The guy knows his stuff but JR isn't a head of state for crying out loud. ;)

What i don't understand is that "if" Frank is really hurt this bad,,why in the world was he still in the line up!!!He should have been scratched or put on IR because at his "best" he is still a liability on the ice!!Any one of our prospects in Albany would have been a better choice than keeping Kabs on the ice!So whom does that fall on,,,Lavs,JR,,Kabs himself??Doesn't make any sense that he was still out there!!!Sounds like an excuse to help his trade value but then again it shows how fragile he is,,so i guess its just an excuse for his lousy play since he became a Cane!! :angry:

I know this is a little off topic, but I absolutely love 99.9 the Fan. I listen to it every morning and these guys do a great job. A couple Fridays ago I was listening on the way home and they were out at the Hair Saloon for men and were giving away free tickets to the last home Canes v. Lightning game. I went in there (that was probably the fastest trip down Cary Parkway I've ever taken) and got a pair, both of the guys were really cool.

I think Frank played fairly well positionally - but his shooting was non-existent. Some of that can probably be attributed to his shoulder problem.

hmm, didn't know sammy was playing w/ an injured shoulder down the stretch...

I listened to the interview again and John does say that Sammy has the bum shoulder. But this is the reply I received from Luke DeCock today.

I talked with Sergei Samsonov yesterday and he said he was fine. At this point, unless I hear differently, I'm willing to accept him at his word.

Perhaps Forslund was talking about Kaberle, who was scheduled to have shoulder surgery today? Nevertheless, the benching was a coaching decision, not injury-related, I've been told.

Thanks for writing,

-- Luke

On Apr 7, 2008, at 10:25 AM, ivyleeger wrote:

> Luke,

>

> I've seen nothing mentioned in either your stories or other news sites about injuries. Forslund on The Fan this morning mentioned that Samsonov had a significant shoulder injury here at the end of the season. Any details or other player injuries that went unmentioned?

>

> Also, I've see no explanation as to why Frank Kaberle had only 3:44 > of ice time Friday. Is he one of the injured or was it a coaching > decision?

>

> Thanks in advance.

>

> Ivy

> Go anyone other than Anaheim!