The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IceFrog999

Rutherford's Press Conference

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/index.php/canes?title=rutherford_november_and_december_cost_us&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1' target="_blank">http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/index....p;tb=1&pb=1[/post]

Interesting.

EDIT: Tanabe's situation is interesting. And his comments about Bayda and Aucoin say a lot. The attendence thing is typical, but his approval isn't the one we should be worried about. It's PK's.

Can somebody Cut and Paste the text. I am blocked form Luke's blog here at work. Thanks!

Oh boy.

I didn't realize Lavi's job was that on the line...I mean I understand the blame for those awful games mid-season...but still I fully believe the guy can get it done and is one of the best in the business...man what a tough situation JR has there to make...I hope we keep Lavi...I hate having a coaching vacancy and having that type of void.

I like the other comments JR made though...glad he sees our defensive problems...and our ability to trade a forward for a good D-man. I love Erik Cole, by far my favorite player, but I could def. see him traded for a good D-man...Cole makes good bait. We don't need to trade for *edit*...we need something solid back there to go with Gleason.

As far as Cam is concerned, I like JR giving him props for his second half performance...but also I want JR to realize that we need another proven goalie...a backup of course who can push Cam and provide solid relief when necessary. Grahame DOES NOT do these things.

We have a busy summer coming up, and I hope JR makes the right moves. We must make the playoffs next season, not just for attendance issues but also to re-establish ourselves as a legitimate threat to at least make a run to the conference finals. Two years missing out after winning the cup is pretty bad...we can't make it three in a row!

That is interesting, I have to wonder if JR had not discussed his concerns with Coach L during the November / December stretch. The team certainly seemed to turn things around. Seems weird to talk about that now when discussing the Coaches job performance. A mention of that stretch would be expected but this seemed to be a focal point. A couple of mentions to the teams work ethic is telling. We will see. I hope that Peter stays, adjusts his game plan but stays. Attendance was down this past year (according to ESPN) by 753 per game. Not terrible, but a lot of missed revenue. I think that part of that was a bad schedule in November where there were 9 games that month with 6 home games the last 14 days which was when the team was playing "uninspired" hockey (the parking situation didn't help). His words about Aucoin and Bayda do make sense, this team does lack size. I do believe that they will both play somewhere in the NHL next year. Here would be nice but ...

I think that most of our questions will be answered in the near future.

Interesting reading, almost like a good fiction novel. There's drama, backstabbing, the sensationalism of calling his players a bunch of cheaters.............but no mention of what he's going to do about the goalie situation. Nothing about prior decisions on no trade clauses....Wallin. The rash decision to give Brindy a frickin $5mil yearly contract at his age. I do believe he and Lavi share the blame about getting Whitney & Williams back on the ice too soon. It's my understanding that he's not blameless. Forslund stated it was a decision made by the coaching staff and management. If JR said: put these guys in, and Lavi followed suit, and then the team lost......well, lets see what Lavi fires back if anything. If it was a mutual decision freely discussed and then decided, then there's nothing to do about it but use it as a learning experience. IF IT AIN"T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT. I do not want a Tortorella or Hartley type of coach down here that just yells and screams and DEMANDS listening to. What other coaches are out there?

Interesting take on Tanabe.....wonder if David saw what happened to Cullen (put back in to soon...re-concussed in Chicago, etc) and said, later.........................................not talking to you.

Interesting read but thats all it is....reading. Just throwing out some caution to those quick to assume anything from what they're reading third party. Its easy to see how rumors and drama get started. Id let the dust settle from all the disappointment of the players as well as the organization before assuming that there's and underground war mounting beween the players, coaching and management.

Im just going to sit back and see how it all plays out, besides being totally out of our control, I think the truths will out themselves over time. I'd rather base my opinions on fact rather than media reports from writers that are completely out of hockey to talk about. If you report that someone was a no-show to their meeting, find out why before reporting it and leaving it open to sensationalizing, JMO.

Unless of course you're bored with no Canes hockey and are looking to create some excitement of your own.

Interesting read but thats all it is....reading. Just throwing out some caution to those quick to assume anything from what they're reading third party. Its easy to see how rumors and drama get started. Id let the dust settle from all the disappointment of the players as well as the organization before assuming that there's and underground war mounting beween the players, coaching and management.

Im just going to sit back and see how it all plays out, besides being totally out of our control, I think the truths will out themselves over time. I'd rather base my opinions on fact rather than media reports from writers that are completely out of hockey to talk about. If you report that someone was a no-show to their meeting, find out why before reporting it and leaving it open to sensationalizing, JMO.

Unless of course you're bored with no Canes hockey and are looking to create some excitement of your own.

Interesting take on Tanabe.....wonder if David saw what happened to Cullen (put back in to soon...re-concussed in Chicago, etc) and said, later.........................................not talking to you.

Probably not. If the guy is still in bad enough shape to be chauffeured to the doctor there are a multitude of reasons he couldn't make a scheduled interview.

A problem with quotes is you don't get the inflection from the person saying it. JR could have sounded irritated, indicating he was mad Tanabe didn't show up, or he could have sounded concerned because he doesn't know what is going on with Tanabe.

Nothing really surprising except that he seemed to really call out the team and the coaching staff big time for that big time slump. I liked it... I remember how we were going back and forth on these boards during that time and some felt it was terrible and changes needed to be made and others felt we would play through it. Looking back, JR maybe should have shaken things up much sooner and maybe we would be discussing our play-off game against the Borad Street Bullies instead of our off-season moves.

I do hope we sign Samsonov and I liked JR's comments about the team getting bigger. We do need a more physical presence and a couple of players who can protect our Marquee players like Staal.

Should be an interesting summer to say the least.

Only 5.5 months until opening night. The countdown begins!

I dont think we should fire Lavi either, his worst years are still better then most of Mo's...

You can't blame Lavi because for 30-35 games everyone on the ice looked like they didnt even wanna play. Can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink, however I think Lavi does have a favorites issue. Larose for a long time in the early portion of the season needed to be sat, he stunk but Lavi's likes him and kept him in. Same thing with the fact the second Whitney said he was ready to go though obviously not he got put in. Lavi has to make some business desicision rather then friend desicisions.

I will say Larose towards the end of the season looked like what Lavi wanted to see in the first half prior to the injury.

For a while there I could not believe Larose was on the first line....and was ticked he remained there for so long.

Also I think Grahame was given entirely to many chances to prove himself, he shoulda been sat after getting shelled in the TB game he really proved he cant get motivated for anything when he couldnt shut them out in that game. Made me sick someone could take that much abuse from an ex coach, be given the opportunity to sock it to them and ...... tinkles it away.

Bad player personelle descisions that Lavi had control of I will give him some poop for.

I agree with TSA. Its obvious JR is still pissed and irritated about missing the playoffs for the 2nd straight year as are the coaches and players. Plus JR has already said that he is putting off Lavi's review until the emotions have subsided. Once both JR and Lavi have gotten past the disappointment, both will be able to sit down and have clear heads.

The full transcript is on the main page. If you read all that, it doesn't seem all 'the sky is falling' like Luke made it out to be.

JR, before the season even began knew they needed an O-Dman and it didnt pan out. Once he got that player, things turned around, i dont mind him putting pressure on Lavi but Lavis doing the cooking with JRs ingredients. as far as attendance, i wouldnt mind if it slipped even more as long as the people not attending were the ones crying about parking on a daily basis.

My concern is the fan base...Is this team gonna move??Also I think JR is gonna go elsewere,it seemed to me like hes a little uncertain...

1) no way this team is moving

2) JR has denied time after time rumors of his leaving, plus I dont think he would be all that upset about not making the playoffs if hes looking elsewhere....

I don't think we'll get rid of Lavi. He'll be grabbed immediately by the Thrashers, and we'll be left coachless.

I disagree lavi is WORTHLESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you base this on....? Its just bashing with nothing written to back up your opinion.

And you base this on....? Its just bashing with nothing written to back up your opinion.

Lavi should not be let go, but if the team is struggling out of the gate come October then it is time to make changes. I think we will be much improved come October though. Getting one or two new faces on Defense whether that is Borer, Ward, or someone else is the biggest step. Number 2 would be to find a backup goalie who actually can play the position. If those two needs are addressed then we can get back to the top of the conference. We have the freed up money this offseason to make changes with Hedican, Wesley and Grahame all FAs.

I wanted Lavi gone earlier in the season, but I think he deserves to come back for one more season. If we can't make it to the playoffs with him next year then he needs to go then. I have a feeling with what My read into what I think JR was saying about our style of play that he does like some of what Lavi has brought and the way we are playing it, but he also wants some changes too. This is probably what will determine if Lavi stays or goes, if Lavi agrees with and will want to make these changes---IMO.

If Lavi (if Lavi goes I think McCarthy will have to go too) goes I will predict that our Rat's coach Tom Rowe would be considered for Lavi's position. I have heard nothing but praises about him from the players, fans and AHL.

Here's a thought---Wesley as a possible assistant coach for defence with Rowe---if Lavi & McCarthy were to go.

Tannabe sounds like a person who is trying to get permanent disablity through a workman's comp type claim from the Canes organization. I'm not sure how all that works with injured players who can't return to playing.

It was disappointing that he did not address our goalie issue. I still think we need Ward back with a 50/50 playing time with Leighton until the best goalie who proves himself to be #1 earns the position.

It's going to get interesting.

Tannabe sounds like a person who is trying to get permanent disablity through a workman's comp type claim from the Canes organization. I'm not sure how all that works with injured players who can't return to playing.

It was disappointing that he did not address our goalie issue. I still think we need Ward back with a 50/50 playing time with Leighton until the best goalie who proves himself to be #1 earns the position.

It's going to get interesting.

That is not a very kind thing to say about a player who may not even be able to lead a normal life for a long time. I doubt David is faking his injury to get out of actually playing or something. :rolleyes:

He did address the goalie issue. He thinks that Cam did a good job to give us a chance to make the playoffs this season. I really doubt they will backtrack and start splitting the season. They have made it clear before Cam is our franchise goalie so we will take steps to him carrying the team for the better part of the season. Just having a backup who we can count on will be nice though.

I am glad to see Rutherford is not going to back off. This is a business and he is the manager. He needs to keep the heat on or his butt is in the sling also.

He is not giving Lavi,Tanabe or anyone else a pass after 2 seasons out of the playoffs. It is unacceptable and he made it clear. I did find the comments on Tanabe interesting as he is responsible for his paycheck.

Keep on pushing Rutherford. :angry: