The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IceFrog999

Rutherford's Press Conference

That is not a very kind thing to say about a player who may not even be able to lead a normal life for a long time. I doubt David is faking his injury to get out of actually playing or something. :rolleyes:

He did address the goalie issue. He thinks that Cam did a good job to give us a chance to make the playoffs this season. I really doubt they will backtrack and start splitting the season. They have made it clear before Cam is our franchise goalie so we will take steps to him carrying the team for the better part of the season. Just having a backup who we can count on will be nice though.

Th re-read my statement, I never said he was faking. I said sounds like he is trying to get disablity since it's clear he refuses to meet with JR. I'm a nurse and use to be an office manager for a physician, if the doctors tell JR he can get in a car to go to the office to see the MD for follow-ups, then he can get in a car and meet with his boss. Clearly he does not want to do that and JR didn't mind bringing that into the public's eye. He may genuinely have concussion problems, but those problems don't stop you from having a conversation with your boss. :rolleyes:

We all know Cam has a contract and JR has no choice but to love Ward-duh, he never addressed the back-up goalie issue that was clearly a problem this year.

Th re-read my statement, I never said he was faking. I said sounds like he is trying to get disablity since it's clear he refuses to meet with JR. I'm a nurse and use to be an office manager for a physician, if the doctors tell JR he can get in a car to go to the office to see the MD for follow-ups, then he can get in a car and meet with his boss. Clearly he does not want to do that and JR didn't mind bringing that into the public's eye. He may genuinely have concussion problems, but those problems don't stop you from having a conversation with your boss. :rolleyes:

I strongly disagree with this outlook. We don't know anything for sure, so to suggest that Tanabe is purposefully neglecting JR and/or the franchise is absolute BS imo. Let's wait and see what happens, then judge.

Wow! Just listened to the full 27+ minutes rather than the summary by Luke. (850 Buzz, blog)

I'm confident in JR and excited about what he's going to do. Clearly the defense will change. He's specifically said a trade of 1 or 2 forwards for defense could happen. They have UFA AND signed players in mind for acquisition to improve the defense. This area is clearly his focal point (for player aspects).

Lastly, the 4th line is going to get bigger. There are enough "skilled players" in the top 9 forwards.

70 games by Ward were too many, Staal is our "best player" and co-leader with Brindy. (he said it, not me).

He's really disturbed (still) about those 30-35 games! That is a huge chunk of the season. I love that he had "exit interviews" with players and coaches to get input. I have to believe he focused on those games in Nov and Dec and what went wrong.

He also indicated action in the near term. I also didn't think he slammed Tanabe based on his tone of voice. To me he seemed concerned, yet puzzled why they haven't met.

Wow! Just listened to the full 27+ minutes rather than the summary by Luke. (850 Buzz, blog)

I'm confident in JR and excited about what he's going to do. Clearly the defense will change. He's specifically said a trade of 1 or 2 forwards for defense could happen. They have UFA AND signed players in mind for acquisition to improve the defense. This area is clearly his focal point (for player aspects).

Lastly, the 4th line is going to get bigger. There are enough "skilled players" in the top 9 forwards.

70 games by Ward were too many, Staal is our "best player" and co-leader with Brindy. (he said it, not me).

He's really disturbed (still) about those 30-35 games! That is a huge chunk of the season. I love that he had "exit interviews" with players and coaches to get input. I have to believe he focused on those games in Nov and Dec and what went wrong.

He also indicated action in the near term. I also didn't think he slammed Tanabe based on his tone of voice. To me he seemed concerned, yet puzzled why they haven't met.

Thanks for the clarification. Its easy pass judgement when emotions run high so its best to wait till more information is available before jumping to conclusions. ;)

Thanks for the clarification. Its easy pass judgement when emotions run high so its best to wait till more information is available before jumping to conclusions. ;)

No problem. I'm sure we all won't draw the same conclusion, but listening to the man's word and tone is far better than reading the few quotes from the media.

Funny, he didn't mention or talk about Lavi much but you could tell there was an air in the room about that area of the organization (coaching).

JR,

Where were you during that period? Or is some of that 20/20 hindsight we are all so blessed with>

It's good to be the king! Listen to the audio. He clearly says the Canes lost 4 in a row before the trades he made. The implication? Things changed after that.

Interestingly, he says he didn't think the team would do as well as it did (post trade). Makes you wonder, would he have made even more changes then, or are they coming soon?

Probably the things I am excited about most are

1 - The re-signing of Samsonov, he said it was the orginazations #1 priority

2 - A new TV deal!!! Probably more money for the organization, and hopefully we will be able to see more games!

3 - Talking about trading some of our offense for a defenseman and/or going after a defenseman via FA.

I wish he would have brought up what he thought he was going to do with Borer next season, though I think he deserves to be on the team.

And another thing I'd like to add about the Tanabe situation...

If I'm David Tanabe, and I don't know when or if my hockey career is going to be resumed, I'm sure not going to be in any hurry to speak to JR about my future with the team or whatever else about the season. I'm going to get myself fixed up, see what my future holds, and then discuss things with the GM of the hockey team that I'm currently signed with. Me first, career (hopefully) second.

2 - A new TV deal!!! Probably more money for the organization, and hopefully we will be able to see more games!

It was announced a month or two ago. They canceled the pregame show, made no promises about keeping the post game, no set number of HD games, 65 games total.

So if you're keeping track that's a lot less then the what 2 year old basketball team in Charlotte gets from FSNS :angry:

It was announced a month or two ago. They canceled the pregame show, made no promises about keeping the post game, no set number of HD games, 65 games total.

So if you're keeping track that's a lot less then the what 2 year old basketball team in Charlotte gets from FSNS :angry:

So is that more or less games than what we have been getting?

as for the pre-game post-game shows, I never watched them, I had other stuff to do.

I disagree lavi is WORTHLESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could we get just a smidgen of your thinking that has you so adamant that Lavi has no value? Or is this an out burst without thought? -- an expression of a disgruntled fan? Either way is OK, I would just like to hear the rationale if there is one.

We all know Cam has a contract and JR has no choice but to love Ward-duh, he never addressed the back-up goalie issue that was clearly a problem this year.

Maybe you need to go back and re-read or listen to the press conference. JR said that Tanabe's wife has been driving him to his doctor appointments. And he admitted that doctor appointments are more important. Also keep in mind that they have 2 young children, if I'm not mistaken their oldest is no more than 2 and they have a baby. I'm sure its hard enough getting him to the doctors and working out those schedules.

It's good to be the king! Listen to the audio. He clearly says the Canes lost 4 in a row before the trades he made. The implication? Things changed after that.

The President of American Airlines held a news conference and said words to the effect that the delays and the inconveniences and hardships caused by the delays were his fault. Not one word of shirking his responsibility. When JR talks, that is the standard I am holding him to.

JR's title is General Manager and as such I would think when the team he is GMing is floundering, he would have conversations with the coach. Managers are responsible for the successes of the people under them. Just like the coach is responsible for the success of the players under him. JR is ultimately responsible for Lavi and wringing his hands (which I'm not saying he did) and saying, Lavi didn't get it done in November and December is not an option. Blame has no place at the level JR works -- Lavi either for that matter.

As weird as it may sound to some, I would have stood and cheered if Eric Staal had said something like, I was the captain while Brindy was hurt. I am responsible that we did not play with the energy, intensity and inspiration required to get this team in the playoffs.

Interesting summer indeed. The playoffs can sometimes help determine what/who we get. Like the Ducks won the Cup, a couple of other teams got signed some muscles. I do agree that we need some muscle. It would be ideal to have skll with muscle, but at what cost?

And I break the months apart with events. Playoffs, draft, free agency frenzy, etc...

very interesting article...he actually sounded angry with tanabe...

Yes he did and made it aired it publically instead of keeping it between him and Tannabe and the organization, there is just some here that doesn't get that.

JR's probably not happy about being blown off. When your boss requests a meeting with you, multiple times it looks like, and you don't show up, don't be surprised if he's a little irritated.

As someone who has conducted a couple hundred SS disability evaluations over the years, whether or not you can manage to get to the doctor's office but not your boss' is beside the point. Dave is choosing to avoid Jim, and that's that. Managing a schedule "challenge" (????) of coping with young kids and occasional doctor's appointments for Dave is taking leave of reality.

What is different in either getting a baby sitter while the adults leave the house or packing up the kids and taking them along as parents do in a variety of situations all the time??? Please.

Concussions and their aftereffects are nothing to minimize. The injuries can cause permanent and even progressive brain damage resulting in increasing problems in a variety of areas of functioning. However, if the patient is avoiding giving an update to the employer, they can play the avoidance card only so long. If the injury is being treated under Workman's Comp, then the employer has every right to request an official status report from the treating physician(s). My ex-husband (psychiatrist) and I used to meet with patients and their employers on a not infrequent basis so that the lines of communication were wide open. We found that the open door policy actually increased the cooperation level of management and they were less likely to presume that the employee was trying to take advantage of them in any way.

There is no reason Dave can't meet with JR. He is simply choosing to avoid doing so. This is unfortunate because of the inevitable conflicts it introduces into their relationship. If Dave is reluctant to discuss his neurological status with his boss, he should request that his doctor set up a consultation appointment during which the physician can explain to JR what exactly the current situation is with Dave, and answer - expertly - any questions JR has instead of Dave having to take on that responsibility himself if they were to meet one-on-one at JR's office.

As someone who has conducted a couple hundred SS disability evaluations over the years, whether or not you can manage to get to the doctor's office but not your boss' is beside the point. Dave is choosing to avoid Jim, and that's that. Managing a schedule "challenge" (????) of coping with young kids and occasional doctor's appointments for Dave is taking leave of reality.

What is different in either getting a baby sitter while the adults leave the house or packing up the kids and taking them along as parents do in a variety of situations all the time??? Please.

Concussions and their aftereffects are nothing to minimize. The injuries can cause permanent and even progressive brain damage resulting in increasing problems in a variety of areas of functioning. However, if the patient is avoiding giving an update to the employer, they can play the avoidance card only so long. If the injury is being treated under Workman's Comp, then the employer has every right to request an official status report from the treating physician(s). My ex-husband (psychiatrist) and I used to meet with patients and their employers on a not infrequent basis so that the lines of communication were wide open. We found that the open door policy actually increased the cooperation level of management and they were less likely to presume that the employee was trying to take advantage of them in any way.

There is no reason Dave can't meet with JR. He is simply choosing to avoid doing so. This is unfortunate because of the inevitable conflicts it introduces into their relationship. If Dave is reluctant to discuss his neurological status with his boss, he should request that his doctor set up a consultation appointment during which the physician can explain to JR what exactly the current situation is with Dave, and answer - expertly - any questions JR has instead of Dave having to take on that responsibility himself if they were to meet one-on-one at JR's office.

Well stated Irish! This is what I was trying to get out, you explained it in a very realistic professional, medical and legal manner, thanks for enlightening us. I think this should settle the Tannabe debate. We have more problems to solve for our next season. Tannabe wasn't the problem then and he's certainly not the problem now. Thanks Irish. :)

And another thing I'd like to add about the Tanabe situation...

If I'm David Tanabe, and I don't know when or if my hockey career is going to be resumed, I'm sure not going to be in any hurry to speak to JR about my future with the team or whatever else about the season. I'm going to get myself fixed up, see what my future holds, and then discuss things with the GM of the hockey team that I'm currently signed with. Me first, career (hopefully) second.

Just re-posting this for those who think Tanabe needs to meet with JR...or should feel required too.

You're welcome, ErwinCaneHead. I was just trying to interject some element of reason into the discussion. Sometimes we can get carried away with finger pointing and yipping needlessly. Since this was a subject with which I have had experience, thought I'd weigh in, but didn't want to do so waving flags or kicking tires.