The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IceFrog999

Rutherford's Press Conference

Th re-read my statement, I never said he was faking. I said sounds like he is trying to get disablity since it's clear he refuses to meet with JR. I'm a nurse and use to be an office manager for a physician, if the doctors tell JR he can get in a car to go to the office to see the MD for follow-ups, then he can get in a car and meet with his boss. Clearly he does not want to do that and JR didn't mind bringing that into the public's eye. He may genuinely have concussion problems, but those problems don't stop you from having a conversation with your boss. :rolleyes:

We all know Cam has a contract and JR has no choice but to love Ward-duh, he never addressed the back-up goalie issue that was clearly a problem this year.

I bet Tanabe would **poop** his pants if Rutherford showed up at his house! Jaw meet floor!

It's not that surprising that Coach Lavi is on the hot seat.

I've heard rumors that he plays favorites on the team, which was one reason why he brought Whitney and Williams back too soon,

as well as possible split in the locker-room. Like I said, all rumors, nothing substantial.

IF he is not gone, he will definitely be on a short leash, much like Coach Mo was a few years back.

It will all depend on how the players react when the season begins.

A viable backup goaltender should be #2 on JR's list, other than signing Samsonov and shoring up the defense.

BUT he won't know what he'll be doing until Hedican and Wesley make up their minds about their futures.

It's not that surprising that Coach Lavi is on the hot seat.

I've heard rumors that he plays favorites on the team, which was one reason why he brought Whitney and Williams back too soon,

This was also rumored to be one of the reasons for his demise on Long Island.

QUOTE (johnj @ Apr 10 2008, 05:10 PM)

I disagree lavi is WORTHLESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could we get just a smidgen of your thinking that has you so adamant that Lavi has no value? Or is this an out burst without thought? -- an expression of a disgruntled fan? Either way is OK, I would just like to hear the rationale if there is one.

I am a little confused. It appears John is disagreeing that Lavi is worthless. If there was a comma after "I disagree" that would be the opposite opinion.

:huh:

I myself woundn't mind a big shake up with the team,players and coaches. I think a new style of play (more physical & strong stand up d-men).I believe i heard that we are the first team in history not to make the playoffs 2 years in a row after winning the CUP!! SO yes now is the time for a shake up.JR knows who to keep as far as players go. If i was any one of the coaches i might be a little on the nervous side,

PP-not good,

PK-not good,

Shootouts-not good(both shooting and stopping the puck).

d-men- About 50/50

goalie--Cam-great on the hard saves-gives up to many soft goals

Crackers--bye bye

We need more than 1 guy that can win faceoffs!!!

Someone please teach these guys to shoot topshelf,,,,it will really help!!! Just ask Cam!!! Now here's a 2 in 1 fix-it,,,Have thease guys learn to shoot topshelf til Cam learns to stop them!!!!

JR,

Where were you during that period? Or is some of that 20/20 hindsight we are all so blessed with>

My thoughts exactly. When he did pull the trigger andfinally made a trade ( Corvo/Eaves -> Stillman/Comodore) it woke the team up. I'd say he should have done that last year!! Heck, even if it was Stiller and Commodore for Corvo, I'd still say we got the better deal. Maybe JR needs to be a little more willing to trade and make deals that aren't always slam dunks.................oh, wait, he's done that already with the Ruutu/Ladd trade.

very interesting article...he actually sounded angry with tanabe...

Unless you wander over to 850 to listen to the feed, then you can not HEAR anything when you read an article.

AND, the sound version of his interview over at 850: JR actually says with his own little words, that he is getting updates from the doctors and trainers on David Tanabe's status.................... So for Luke to only publish the part about David not coming in to see him is quite interesting indeed. Who's interests are being served here? Luke's or JR's??? For all we know there's some small print in players/union contracts that say a face/face meeting with the GM is not required. Meetings smeetings. Pick up the frickin phone and call.

I think JR is deflecting all accountability onto Lavi. It may actually work, for the uneducated. If Lavi gets fired, then JR can go to Karmonos as say..........it was the coaches fault. Can I still get my bonus????? Will Toronto still want me if they think it's the coaches fault?? Look Toronto how tough I can be in the media!!

This mornings cane country post http://canescountry.com/blog/?p=592' target="_blank">Canes Country Post[/post]

Did you see the tide turning in this direction?

Is Jim Rutherfudd going to pull the trigger?

JimRutherFudd.jpg

Be verwwwy verwwwy qwite!

The author wrote a funny satire but links no sources so its not any more enlightening or credible than any of the posts in this thread. He says he gets its from a reliable source yet doesnt link where his info comes from?

People seem to be getting pretty riled up about all this without having all the facts. Its obvious that no one is happy with no playoffs and there are plenty of questions moving forward but keep in mind, until credible facts are out there, its all assumption and personal interpretation.

If you know something for a fact, link your source please. The conspiracy theorists are hard at work here looking for.....something.

This mornings cane country post http://canescountry.com/blog/?p=592' target="_blank">Canes Country Post[/post]

Did you see the tide turning in this direction?

Is Jim Rutherfudd going to pull the trigger?

JimRutherFudd.jpg

Be verwwwy verwwwy qwite!

The author wrote a funny satire but links no sources so its not any more enlightening or credible than any of the posts in this thread. He says he gets its from a reliable source yet doesnt link where his info comes from?

People seem to be getting pretty riled up about all this without having all the facts. Its obvious that no one is happy with no playoffs and there are plenty of questions moving forward but keep in mind, until credible facts are out there, its all assumption and personal interpretation.

If you know something for a fact, link your source please. The conspiracy theorists are hard at work here looking for.....something.

What? The direct quotes are from the audio feed. The author, Bubba, actually prefaces his article with this: I will copy some of the transcript, then read between the lines and translate into

Maybe they'll get rid of Lavi at some point during next season and make Ronnie the coach???

How many jobs does Francis need? The GM/Coach job never works out. Look at Florida, JM is working so well for them. Look at Ottawa. Murray being GM/Coach is working so well for them too. How bout Jersey. Every time Lou steps behind the bench right before the playoffs, their team is out by the 2nd round.

Personally JR would be stupid to fire Lavi now. If his issue was back in Nov-Dec, he should have done something then. And I don't think the locker room is split as some have suggested. If it was, this team would have tanked and not gone on the run they did. The sens locker room is split as half thing Emery should be their goalie and the other half thinks Gerber should be. Look how well that team is doing. Look at Tampa, that is a team that had stopped listening to their coach, not this team.

If JR wants a coaching change, he should be looking at his assistant coaches. Where has the weaknesses been on this team, defense and specialty teams. Who is the defense coach? McCarthy. Who heads the special teams? Daniels. That is where the problem is.

But if JR wants to go on emotion and fire Lavi. Go ahead. He'll go to Atlanta and screw us 6 times a year.

Honestly I think Lavi is safe for another year. There just isn't a coach out there that is worth a damn.

Personally JR would be stupid to fire Lavi now. If his issue was back in Nov-Dec, he should have done something then. And I don't think the locker room is split as some have suggested. If it was, this team would have tanked and not gone on the run they did. The sens locker room is split as half thing Emery should be their goalie and the other half thinks Gerber should be. Look how well that team is doing. Look at Tampa, that is a team that had stopped listening to their coach, not this team.

Absolutely and 100% correct.

There was a game back in January - I THINK it was the Ottawa game where Emery left after a few minutes and Gerbs came in and shut us out - where I remember that at one point in the game the cameras cut to Laviolette and I made the comment on the boards here that Lavi looked like he did NOT know what to do. Granted, lots of coaches will get that look on their face when they're getting the behinds handed to them - Roy Williams had that same look in the first half on Saturday. But given the sequence of events that had led up to the Sens game where we got slaughtered in our own building, I thought that night that Lavi had lost the team. I was apparently late getting on the bandwagon, cause others had been saying that for at least a month prior. All the signs were there. If you make a coaching change because of what happened over that stretch, you do it THEN.

But... then we go on our run. We played EXCELLENT hockey after the All-Star Break. We had held the division lead for the entire first half of the season, the Caps and Trash ran us down and momentarily pulled ahead of us, and we could've rolled over then. We didn't. Lost in all of our drama here about how we choked and gave the division away (which we did in the last week, no arguments from me there) is how the Capitals had to play OUT OF THEIR FREAKING MINDS to catch us. Did the line tweaks at the end cost us? Perhaps, but I don't see anyone fussing about Chad LaRose being put back in the lineup. Was Williams a mistake? Absolutely. Was Whitney a mistake? Probably, but we have the benefit of hindsight on this one. If you're Lavi, and the doctor clears Ray, and Ray says he's ready to go... given what Whitney has done for this team the past three seasons, don't you play him?? It's not like Ray was pitching a hissy fit and being a primadonna and refusing to play until the last week of the season "when it mattered." Besides, he was playing during the first half of our good stretch, so it wasn't a chemistry issue. Nor a "favorites" issue. There's a reason Whitney had more points this year than Conboy, Brookbank, and Jensen and it's not because he played more games than they did. (No offense to Tim, Wade, or Joe - just using them as an example.) It's because the Wizard knows how to put the puck in the back of the net. That's why he was with us for game #1 and that's why he played game #82. It just didn't work out for us.

If there's a reason to fire Lavi, it's for the last week tinkering he did which MAY OR MAY NOT have been a mutual decision between him and JR. I wouldn't agree with this, but you do it for that, not November-January. I'm with the majority here. Lavi stays and if things aren't where they need to be by December, make a change then.

[end rant]

What? The direct quotes are from the audio feed. The author, Bubba, actually prefaces his article with this: I will copy some of the transcript, then read between the lines and translate into

We weren't excellent during our run. We played MEDIOCRE.

If 15-3-2 is mediocre, we should play mediocre more often. I guess Washington finishing 13-4 is slightly above average?

Maybe it WAS all smoke and mirrors. But no matter which way you slice it, we were WINNING. You can win a few games playing average hockey. But taking home 80% of possible points over a six week stretch wasn't a coincidence.

I've got to believe that when JR talks about rushing players back, he is referring to Matt Cullen. I watched Cullen making line changes against Tampa and he could not even jump over the boards to get on the ice. He was coming on and off the ice through the bench doors and had a special chair he was sitting on instead of sitting on the bench with the other players. He had not even done any contact in practice before he played and I really don't think he was anywhere near ready.

If you can point to one play that cost us the playoffs, it was Florida's shorthanded goal. That's where I think JR is coming from when he said that it is not fair to the player. In essence, it really wasn't fair that we placed Cullen into such a critical situation and expect him to be in playoff form.

I think that playing Cullen instead of Hamilton in the Florida game was a bad decision by Lavi. Hamilton was playing well and more importantly, he was game ready. My guess is that Cullen lobbied Lavi to play in the last week and Lavi went with his instincts.

I don't think JR can argue that playing either Whitney or Williams in the last week was a bad decision. If we had made the playoffs, he had to try to get those 2 players ready for the 1st round. Williams looked good in practice and playing him on the 4th line was really not a risky decision for the Washington game. He ended up going out and hurting his back, but that's hindsight. Whitney played reasonably well in the last 3 games and he had 2 points in the Florida game.

I will be the first to agree that there were coaching and lineup moves that I didn't agree with, however, for everybody that wants to fire Lavi, remember that money will directly come out of our player budget. This isn't a team with deep pockets that will want to fire a coach and pay him and the new coach. Since J.R. will have an owner imposed salary cap to deal with, I think it is safe to assume that he will only have so much money to spend, including coaches.

If J.R. and Lavi can get on the same page and work things out, great. If there truly is division and favoritism in the locker room, that is another issue that may result in a coaching change. I think J.R. may be trying to get the message out very clearly that there needs to be some change in Lavi's style if he is to remain here.

I'd rather see that money spent on a defenseman than on a fired coach, if possible. My 2c worth as fantasy hockey general manager.

I will be the first to agree that there were coaching and lineup moves that I didn't agree with, however, for everybody that wants to fire Lavi, remember that money will directly come out of our player budget. This isn't a team with deep pockets that will want to fire a coach and pay him and the new coach. Since J.R. will have an owner imposed salary cap to deal with, I think it is safe to assume that he will only have so much money to spend, including coaches.

If J.R. and Lavi can get on the same page and work things out, great. If there truly is division and favoritism in the locker room, that is another issue that may result in a coaching change. I think J.R. may be trying to get the message out very clearly that there needs to be some change in Lavi's style if he is to remain here.

I'd rather see that money spent on a defenseman than on a fired coach, if possible. My 2c worth as fantasy hockey general manager.

The other angle you have to consider is if you bring in another coach, it will take a season or two for the players to buy into "his" system. Do we really want to wait another year or so for those results?

I don't think putting Williams or Whitney back on the roster were bad moves. I do think putting Cullen back in was bad though as many others and even JR may have pointed out. Cullen had probably lobbied Lavi to play, and Lavi let him even though Cullen wasn't ready. Also Lavi knew that Cullen was an x factor for this team and the PP is worlds better with him at one point. Hamilton meanwhile was playing very good hockey and was healthy. We ended up getting hurt by it big time when Cullen lost the puck and the SHG was scored.

That is the main thing I fault Lavi with because JR shares the responsibility for Nov./Dec. If we can improve our D, sign back some forwards, and find a goaltender who can effectively back up Cam we can be a great team next year.

To me both of those guy's Williams&Whitney were brought back to early.Justin ended up hurt and Ray took a couple dumb penalties because he wasn't game ready.Plus the fact it broke up some very good chemsitry on the team.I also agree Matt was brought back to early,he was just going thru the motions,you could see he wasn't the Matt Cullen we have all loved in the past.He had no jump or spark in his game!!These are a few decisions that were made by whomever that hurt us down the streatch..Some other bad decisions thru-out the year were,, to leave certain goaltendeds in when they were playing like Poop. We gave away a few games worring about the next nites game,,,this should never happen,,now we all see thru the last 2 seasons that every point and every game is important.Don't wory about tomorrow,play to win tonite!!!Get every point from the begining of the season thru to the end, don't give up on any game!!!!

What's concerning to me, if all the conspiracy theorists here are correct, is why this battle is being fought out in the open and by using the media. This team has prided itself for years on keeping most, if not all personal matters behind closed doors. The press conferences arent unusal and neither are the exit interviews of the players and coaching staff. The only thing unusual is the pointing of fingers. Again, I dont subscribe to all the conspiracies without clear facts and legit sources but it is concerning that people like Luke feel the need to put this out there.

What's concerning to me, if all the conspiracy theorists here are correct, is why this battle is being fought out in the open and by using the media. This team has prided itself for years on keeping most, if not all personal matters behind closed doors. The press conferences arent unusal and neither are the exit interviews of the players and coaching staff. The only thing unusual is the pointing of fingers. Again, I dont subscribe to all the conspiracies without clear facts and legit sources but it is concerning that people like Luke feel the need to put this out there.