The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IceFrog999

Rutherford's Press Conference

But if Hedican & wesley retire, that's around 4 mil to use...

Just a word of advice, I'd change your name so as not to arouse suspicion.

But yeah, 4 million bucks free from hedican and wesley could be put to good use. As in "shut-down d-man" use.

:rolleyes: Yes, Cam's bad play is because he knows he's always going to be the #1 goaltender here.

Of course, this directly contradicts what was said earlier in the season, which was Cam was playing poorly because there was the fear that Grahame would replace him.

who said that?? didn't come from me!! He knew Crackers wouldn't chase him from the net!!

I want Lavi to stay, but the statement above is a nonsense. Did it take a season or two for Capitals to buy into the new system?

they had nowhere to go but up!!

But yeah, 4 million bucks free from hedican and wesley could be put to good use. As in "shut-down d-man" use.

It's not that easy. That $4 million is gone. If you want RFAs Ruutu, Eaves, LaRose and Gleason signed, their raises are going to take up a bunch of that. Add in a reasonable contract for Samsonov, and poof, no more $4 million.

And I like the idea of at least kicking the tires on Redden. He seems like a great buy-low candidate to me, especially if he gets out of the bright media glare of Ottawa. If you can convince him to sign a two-year deal at around $3-4 million per to re-establish his value as an elite defenseman, it's a great deal to me.

Just a word of advice, I'd change your name so as not to arouse suspicion.

here's a little side bet - Hedican retires, Wesley returns, and Hedican's salary used to pick up A.Ward... Kaberle,a FWD, a prospect and possibly a draft pick (remember we still have "future considerations" from SJ) get packaged for a top tier D-man

here's a little side bet - Hedican retires, Wesley returns, and Hedican's salary used to pick up A.Ward... Kaberle,a FWD, a prospect and possibly a draft pick (remember we still have "future considerations" from SJ) get packaged for a top tier D-man

and/or add Cole.

I can't believe how easy it is for some people to throw Lavi under the bus! He is a great coach if we were to let him go it would be someone elses gain bigtime. I'm sure the Kitty Kats would love to have him... We need some help on defense bigtime and we need a back up goalie that we can actually trust to play in a game.

I can't believe how easy it is for some people to throw Lavi under the bus! He is a great coach if we were to let him go it would be someone elses gain bigtime. I'm sure the Kitty Kats would love to have him... We need some help on defense bigtime and we need a back up goalie that we can actually trust to play in a game.

By "some people" are you referring to Jim Rutherford? He's the only one I'm aware of who's thrown Lavi under the bus around here lately.

I don't understand the reasoning behind calling him a "great coach". He won one Stanley Cup, and its not like he had to rally the players to do it, we had plenty of talent. He hasn't been to the playoffs in two years, which is simply not getting his job done. How is that "great"?

I don't understand the reasoning behind calling him a "great coach". He won one Stanley Cup, and its not like he had to rally the players to do it, we had plenty of talent. He hasn't been to the playoffs in two years, which is simply not getting his job done. How is that "great"?

Shouldn't a general manager who runs a team that missed the playoffs both years after winning a Stanley Cup have to answer some tough questions, too?

who said that?? didn't come from me!! He knew Crackers wouldn't chase him from the net!!

Not going to bother looking, but a lot of things were said during the November-December slump that just look foolish now. For instance, there was talk about Staal being too young and/or lazy for the captaincy. How many would say that now?

So many great comments I can't quote them all, but I'll add MY opinion after thinking about this 24 hours later.

1. I think he was really talking about Cullen when mentioning bringing players back too soon, and not being fair to the player. Yes, that shorthanded goal sticks out (but isn't the reason why the Canes missed the Playoffs). Matt Cullen means so much to this team, and was a shell of his usual self that day. I hated watching such a beloved and capable player under those circumstances vs Florida.

2. He's really locked in on the "Top Nine" forwards, and the question is who are the nine and is Eric Cole included (or alternatively is he in the trade group)? There are many on the outside looking in that will be gone or in Albany.

3. This is an opinion and PURE speculation: The 30-35 games and "work ethic, undisciplined..." words used by JR point to a coaching change. One good thing said about Lavi lately is how he handles the new players and integrated them in, particularly Samsonov. JR commented about how he likes the style of play, and how fans enjoy it. Well, where else is that style played? Albany! Who where the players being integrated? (mostly) Rats! Tom Rowe will be the coach next year, and Lavi is done. Someone mentioned Rowe as replacement on this thread yesterday, and I think they nailed it! The price tag is likely right, too.

4. Cam Ward was a big part of the Nov-Dec failure. However, there was plenty going on (Barrasso) and the results showed late in the year. JR is more than a former goalie, and will remedy the defensive issues in front of Wardo. Yes, he needs a backup and badly!

5. I really believe he had Commodore in mind about "pinching" and cheating on D, and that is why he's gone, and likely won't be back.

If there truly is division and favoritism in the locker room, that is another issue that may result in a coaching change. I think J.R. may be trying to get the message out very clearly that there needs to be some change in Lavi's style if he is to remain here.

I don't think there is division in the locker room. Here's why: the Samsonov audio feed below, he says he likes it here, the guys like playing together. Here's a guy who went through utter and total H-E--double hockey sticks in Montreal. If things were not good here, he'd be gone. You may need to scroll down to get the audio link.

http://www.hurricanesinsider.com/index.jsp''>http://www.hurricanesinsider.com/index.jsp' target="_blank">http://www.hurricanesinsider.com/index.jsp[/post]

Ruutu has stated he likes to play here, so has Corvo. I do believe these has been documented in Lukes blog. Research it if you want.

I don't think there is division in the locker room. Here's why: the Samsonov audio feed below, he says he likes it here, the guys like playing together. Here's a guy who went through utter and total H-E--double hockey sticks in Montreal. If things were not good here, he'd be gone. You may need to scroll down to get the audio link.

http://www.hurricanesinsider.com/index.jsp''>http://www.hurricanesinsider.com/index.jsp' target="_blank">http://www.hurricanesinsider.com/index.jsp[/post]

Ruutu has stated he likes to play here, so has Corvo. I do believe these has been documented in Lukes blog. Research it if you want.

And everybody who gets traded away always comment how much they hated to get traded and how maybe they can end up back there somehow.

I'm not buying it either. I think JR is putting the blame on Lavi so he doesn't have to look in the mirror.

now, which player displayed consistent defensive zone (for lack of a better word) stupidity (to the tune of some 26 opponents' goals throughout the season) and who the players might justifiably be angry at the coach for not benching for sorry defensive end play?

Kaberle...........who actually was playing better by his standards in March. If JR is trying to call out players, that's ridiculus! He's the GM, trade him! But the counterpoint is: his salary is too high, and we won't get "value" in return. So, not making the playoffs is a better value?

JR has 4 months to show me that he actually wants to stress defense. Does this mean he is going to target someone as good (and pricy) as Wade Redden, or will he bargain hunting as usual with the Canes tight budget? I wouldn't overpay in years and amount for Redden personally, but someone is going to and the Canes are fairly desperate for a #1 type defenseman. If you think about, this franchise hasn't had a legitamite #1 shut down defenseman since Mark Howe in 1980, unless you count Wesley when he was still young or Pronger when he was 19(which I don't).

If he goes out and gets Redden, then he's an idiot, and JR IS NOT an idiot.

here's another tidbit as food for thought - could JR's stressing defensive zone responsibility be a hint that we'll see Aaron Ward return - he's a positionally sound, shot blocking, defensive defenseman that would really help C. Ward's GAA... he's a UFA, and he WANTS to be here.

No thanks....another old d-man. Also, this would again be proof that JR make a mistake by not re-signing him in the summer of '06. He's already done that with bringing Cullen back. I doubt JR will do it again.

What does JR mean specifically by "poor work ethic"? anyone really "know" what he means?

Sure, it means buying into the offensive part of the system (if you're a forward), but not buying into the team defense that system requires. Let me put names to the guilty faces:

Whitney

Whitney

Whitney

Whitney

I figure if we're throwing Frank under mass transit, then let's do the same for the forwards. There was one home postgame show that both Forslund and Mike called out the forwards, calling them lazy defensively in that game. Whitney was a minus 3 that game. This was during our horrific poor play in Nov/Dec. I think the addition of Samsonov this season really opened my eyes (as well as cataract surgery) to the fact that some forwards do not hustle back defensively. Sammy is pure joy to watch skating back.

One also has to wonder if Lavi did get fired how easy will it be getting Samsonov signed. I'll put money on that if Lavi was fired, Sammy doesn't sign. And yes I know, Sammy won't determine whether or not Lavi remains as coach, but its also something to think about. Go through Sammy's interviews and to me it seems he really likes Lavi system and likes him as a coach. Is it a coincidence that Sammy played his best hockey in Boston where Lavi was an Asst, then he comes here and once again he starts playing hockey like we all know he can.

I've heard players who have said they enjoy playing this style and the aggressive attack. You'd have to think how changing coaches and style would affect some of the players and if they would sign when their contracts are up. Lavi's style really works for some players (Staal, Samsonov, Williams, etc), I don't think some of these guys would be happy playing a boring defensive system.

Shouldn't a general manager who runs a team that missed the playoffs both years after winning a Stanley Cup have to answer some tough questions, too?

Its not like he isn't bringing in guys to help us out. Two years ago was almost the exact same core of players, and Pete couldn't get it done with them, and this year JR brings in Samsonov, Corvo, Eaves and Ruutu to help the team out, and once again we somehow don't make the playoffs. I think if you're trying to blame JR for Lavi's shortcomings, its a little off.

One also has to wonder if Lavi did get fired how easy will it be getting Samsonov signed. I'll put money on that if Lavi was fired, Sammy doesn't sign. And yes I know, Sammy won't determine whether or not Lavi remains as coach, but its also something to think about. Go through Sammy's interviews and to me it seems he really likes Lavi system and likes him as a coach. Is it a coincidence that Sammy played his best hockey in Boston where Lavi was an Asst, then he comes here and once again he starts playing hockey like we all know he can.

I've heard players who have said they enjoy playing this style and the aggressive attack. You'd have to think how changing coaches and style would affect some of the players and if they would sign when their contracts are up. Lavi's style really works for some players (Staal, Samsonov, Williams, etc), I don't think some of these guys would be happy playing a boring defensive system.

thats an interesting point. but lavi's style has had us out of the playoffs the last two years. so whether they enjoy it or not, if he's not going to get the job done, he's got to go. players enjoy winning. the team wasnt having to much fun during our middle of the season slump. i'd much rather have the boring style of new jersey or minnesota right now and be in the playoffs.

i actually like lavi. i hope he is back at the start of next year. but on a very short leash. he has to focus more on getting the forwards to take more defensive repsonsibility. they've got to backcheck better. also, the defense has to be more intelligent and not pinch everytime. how many odd man's did stupid pinches by the D lead to. i like the forchecking attack style, but not at the expense of defensive repsonsibilities. its interesting to me how that once we started geting so many injuries and calling up minor league guys, the attack style was reigned in a little, the team played a little more conservative, and the forwards played more defensive and focused more on backchecking. this is exactly when the team went on their end of the season run. seems like if lavi can tweak things a little, and put more emphasis on forwards helping defensivly and intelligent play by our D men, we can still have an attacking style, but it'll work better.

This is the forums, some people here look for someone to throw under the bus, and claim that person should be traded/fired. I just ignore those people, because they don't have/don't include any credibility.

Lavi's system is a great aggressive style, if they score first. To me if they let the first one in, they have more breakdowns. Lavi needs to revamp his system, include some defensive traits, but keeping the aggressive offense side to it. In other words, we need 3 Dmen that can get back fast (Pair one offensive and one defensive), and our D need to take less risks.

My problem with Lavi is not with his coaching style. I like it. It is aggressive and works when the guys are putting in the work ethic. My problem is how is he trying to motivate his players as we enter the grind of the season.

We were lackluster last year and it was blamed on the short off season. We did the same thing in Nov/Dec this year. It is a trend. The trend has only been broken for spells when JR makes a trade. You clearly see a lack of effort on the players part. Why can't Lavi wake them up and get them motivated? Effort is the coaches responsibility. They sure didn't have a problem sending Grahame/Hamilton down because of effort and throwing them under the bus this year. It was well deserved too but there were several others that should of been called out. I know you can't send the big players down but they shouldn't get a free pass. Time to quit putting guys on a pedestal Lavi.

I do not believe in firing Lavi but some changes are in order. A new assistant to work with the D would be a good place to start. Barasso working with Cam started to pay dividends. Breaking the last 30 games up into segments was Lavi's big plan for the home stretch and it worked well. Well Lavi what's your big plan to get effort for 82?

Having been around during the coach Mo years, Lavi is a great coach!! As frustrating as this past year was, I would pay to watch that any day as compared to what I sat thru night after night during the '02 to '05 seasons. I give the team a free pass for the '06-'07 season because quite frankly we were really banged up. This past season I would put more directly on JR's shoulders, he knew our needs before the season started and did very little (help in the defensive end and no signing Tanabe wasn't any help). Had he pulled the plug on a trade in November or December then he could have been the difference maker but he waited too late. It was JR in November that made the comment to the press "their are those on the team that seem content with winning one Cup". What he is doing now is simply trying to deflect some of the heat off of him and towards Lavi. Hopefully in private he says "Sorry Dude and thanks for taking one for the team".

Kaberle...........who actually was playing better by his standards in March. If JR is trying to call out players, that's ridiculus! He's the GM, trade him! But the counterpoint is: his salary is too high, and we won't get "value" in return. So, not making the playoffs is a better value?

maybe it's the other player's that were calling him out - Like JR said - they "said alot without coming out and saying it" so, I don't think HE is the one doing the "calling out"

No thanks....another old d-man. Also, this would again be proof that JR make a mistake by not re-signing him in the summer of '06. He's already done that with bringing Cullen back. I doubt JR will do it again.

why would he not bring Aaron back? a strong man admits his errors and takes action to correct them, besides Aaron's contract is up this summer, and he wants to be here, why not take advantage of that? we have probably one of the best deals in Wesley at his price because this is "home" to him as well, and 1.4mil is an excellent salary in this area. Aaron would likely sign a similar deal as far as annual contract with the option to retire at the end of each year

and dear god, why do people keep wanting Offensive defensemen, sure they're fun to watch but very very few are defensively sound. call me a purist, but I enjoy watching a defenseman play sound defense.

I figure if we're throwing Frank under mass transit, then let's do the same for the forwards. There was one home postgame show that both Forslund and Mike called out the forwards, calling them lazy defensively in that game. Whitney was a minus 3 that game. This was during our horrific poor play in Nov/Dec. I think the addition of Samsonov this season really opened my eyes (as well as cataract surgery) to the fact that some forwards do not hustle back defensively. Sammy is pure joy to watch skating back.

you are correct there, look at who they trade and you'll probably see who wasn't being responsible in the defensive zone

This is the forums, some people here look for someone to throw under the bus, and claim that person should be traded/fired. I just ignore those people, because they don't have/don't include any credibility.

Lavi's system is a great aggressive style, if they score first. To me if they let the first one in, they have more breakdowns. Lavi needs to revamp his system, include some defensive traits, but keeping the aggressive offense side to it. In other words, we need 3 Dmen that can get back fast (Pair one offensive and one defensive), and our D need to take less risks.

Wise beyond your years, young man. ;)

Every team has it's own distinct characteristics. Average coaches more often than not get the best out of their players ability. Good coaches integrate aspects of play styles that optimize their teams chances of success. Great coaches create and design styles of play that make their teams unbeatable. Based on the above I would say that Lavi is a fairly good coach.

Regarding the players such as Ruutu and Samsonov, their liking it here may well be in part the way management treats them. Police escorts from the airport. HOF Ron Francis meeting them at the airport and briefing them on being a Cane.

I have way too many questions that are unanswered to trust my opinions. Looking at this hockey team from my perspective is like looking at that face of a watch, watching the hands go around, making up reasons and stories about what is going on inside the cover. (True, some of the posits and opinions have a background or foundation of knowledge of the way hockey and other sports teams work on which some build their posits and opinions.)

Right now the biggest question I have is, why was Lavi fired from the NY job. Wasn't he as successful, if not more so, than he is here? I wonder about Ruutu arriving and immediately recording hits on the Richter scale, then games without a hit. Was he called off? Told not to play that way? Was Lavi worried about retaliation? Questions, questions, questions. I like questions. Questions open up possibilities. Answer close down possibilities. Most humans crave answers. And we are addicted to being right.

I love these forums! While I get to write in a public domain, nobody is reading this stuff and calling me on my caca. :unsure: