The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IceFrog999

Rutherford's Press Conference

As I understand it there were a few "star" players that didn't get what they felt was adequate ice time. They went to the GM and Wang asking for Lavi's head. Management caved even though Lavi took them to the playoffs every year he was there.

You also have to remember that the Isle is not the home of sound business decisions (Yashin's 10 year $8mil+ deal (that they bought out to get rid of him), Dipi's 15 year contract (at least 10 too long for a goalie), plus others (Making their backup goalie their new GM)).

Now that I actually watched the press conference instead of reading quotes, JR seemed extremely disappointed, and I liked how he didn't beat around the bush about anything. he's right that November/December really hurt the season in the end.

I'm excited to hear that he will be looking to trade a forward for a defensemen, and he is clearly aware of our problems. but first thing is first, and thats his decision on Lavi.

Not sure if anyone has voted in this poll by Luke, but this has been running in the N&O to see what the general concensus was about Laviolette keeping his job by the fans.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/hurricanes/

Canes fans: Keep Laviolette

Jim Rutherford should consider himself warned.

As of this morning, 93 percent -- 93 percent! -- of the 486 voters in our online poll on Peter Laviolette's job status want the coach to stay in charge.

Clearly, fans don't blame Laviolette for what went wrong this season.

We'll keep the poll up for a couple more days, but that's not just a mandate. That's a landslide.

Interesting, because based on some of the posts here, I would have expected those numbers to be a lot closer or even tipped in the other direction. I guess this board isnt a good representation of the Canes's fans, based on this poll anyway.

Not sure if anyone has voted in this poll by Luke, but this has been running in the N&O to see what the general concensus was about Laviolette keeping his job by the fans.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/hurricanes/

As of this morning, 93 percent -- 93 percent! -- of the 486 voters in our online poll on Peter Laviolette's job status want the coach to stay in charge.

We'll keep the poll up for a couple more days, but that's not just a mandate. That's a landslide.

Interesting, because based on some of the posts here, I would have expected those numbers to be a lot closer or even tipped in the other direction. I guess this board isnt a good representation of the Canes's fans, based on this poll anyway.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/hurricanes/''>http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/hurricanes/' target="_blank">http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/hurricanes/[/post]

I don't know TS it seems to me that most (not all) on this board have supported Lavi for one more year to prove himself which has really surprised me. Back in December I wanted him gone, I'm glad he was able to prove himself again with our run. I really do hope he stays another year, but with some changes-especially utilizing an enforcer for the team when needed.

I don't think it matters what we think regarding Lavi. Only management and players can know how he is in the locker room and how he handles games from behind the bench. If Rutherford decides to let him go I won't agree with it personally but I'd trust it was the right move because I have faith in JR. Personally, I think it's highly unlikely he goes anywhere. Look at it this way, we'd have to pay him for the duration of his contract anyways so is he really so bad that we'd be better of paying him to leave as opposed to stay and coach us? Don't think so.

I don't think it matters what we think regarding Lavi. Only management and players can know how he is in the locker room and how he handles games from behind the bench. If Rutherford decides to let him go I won't agree with it personally but I'd trust it was the right move because I have faith in JR. Personally, I think it's highly unlikely he goes anywhere. Look at it this way, we'd have to pay him for the duration of his contract anyways so is he really so bad that we'd be better of paying him to leave as opposed to stay and coach us? Don't think so.

Thats a very fair statement. Economically, this team cant really afford to let him go unless theres some definitive proof that keeping him here would be a detriment to the team and any plans to move forward with changes. I havent read one thing that backs that up and you're spot on that us fans wouldnt know about it anyway. I refuse to point fingers without knowing facts but it seems to me that the play during Nov and Dec very much resembled the problems of the 07 season. When the line up changed, the most glaring problems disappeared. Seems kinda obvious to me the the main issues lie within the line up and getting back to the topic of this thread, it seems that JR is digging for these answers before making his next move. He knows what needs to be done but deciding which players and/or coaches get moved is tricky. His baiting of the team and coaching staff through the media is trying to draw out some information for him to work with.

In order to have a championship team, so many things have to fall into place and all the stars have to be in perfect allignment. To be able to re-create that the following seasons even with the same exact personel is near impossible. Rarely do you see repeat champions in any pro sport anymore and with the much talked about parity in the league, it almost seems necessary to break up that championship team so the hunger and excitement can be fresh.

It'd be nice to see what the coach can do with a relatively healthy line up of hungry players ready to prove or re-prove their worth to themselves and to the league....oh wait, wasnt that what happened in 06?

And yes I agree that it doesnt matter at all what us fans think, but I thought that the results of that poll were kinda interesting because I always thought we had a fairly good cross section of fans on this board.

Thats a very fair statement. Economically, this team cant really afford to let him go unless theres some definitive proof that keeping him here would be a detriment to the team and any plans to move forward with changes. I havent read one thing that backs that up and you're spot on that us fans wouldnt know about it anyway. I refuse to point fingers without knowing facts but it seems to me that the play during Nov and Dec very much resembled the problems of the 07 season. When the line up changed, the most glaring problems disappeared. Seems kinda obvious to me the the main issues lie within the line up and getting back to the topic of this thread, it seems that JR is digging for these answers before making his next move. He knows what needs to be done but deciding which players and/or coaches get moved is tricky. His baiting of the team and coaching staff through the media is trying to draw out some information for him to work with.

In order to have a championship team, so many things have to fall into place and all the stars have to be in perfect allignment. To be able to re-create that the following seasons even with the same exact personel is near impossible. Rarely do you see repeat champions in any pro sport anymore and with the much talked about parity in the league, it almost seems necessary to break up that championship team so the hunger and excitement can be fresh.

It'd be nice to see what the coach can do with a relatively healthy line up of hungry players ready to prove or re-prove their worth to themselves and to the league....oh wait, wasnt that what happened in 06?

And yes I agree that it doesnt matter at all what us fans think, but I thought that the results of that poll were kinda interesting because I always thought we had a fairly good cross section of fans on this board.

One other thing I forgot to point out. Our main problems the past two years have been defense and special teams. Who's in charge of those? Kevin McCarthy and Jeff Daniels. If anything they're the ones who need to go. Lavi didn't choose them, he inherited them from Paul Maurice, but now he takes flak when areas of the teams game suffer that they're in charge of. Doesn't seem fair. Perhaps JR looks at letting him bring in his own assistants. A lot easier, and cheaper, to replace assistants than a head coach.

Well, Laviolette is gonna be on the hot seat next season if indeed he is kept...which I hope he is of course. But I must say the last two seasons (06-07, 07-08) have really made me question some of his coaching skills...I mean the highs and lows have been ridiculous and sometimes the team has been just downright baffling to figure out. A friend of mine was blunt about the whole thing..."we've had a talented team the past two seasons and yet haven't gotten it done...Lavi should be fired for that." A little harsh if ya ask me...but it does leave questions to be answered for next season.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/hurricanes/''>http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/hurricanes/' target="_blank">http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/hurricanes/[/post]

I'd agree on that point. I'm a fairly energetic and fanatical Caniac, was mini-plan holder in the early years before becoming full STH after the 1st cup run. I never knew this site existed prior to last year. The folks I go to games with and hang with (6 total) know about this site as I've mentioned it to them. Two of these folks are old Greensboro supporters. Went to their fair share of games in the really early years and have supported the Canes every year since. They have not joined and have no intention of joining. They will ask me what is being said on this board from time to time, but have no interest of joining any internet based forum.

Great post TSA, the last team to do back to back Championships was Detroit and I was watching a hockey documentary stating how tired those guys were from the first one in the 90's. What motivated them and lit the fire was the teammate that was paralyzed in a limo crash on his day with the cup. The second win was for him and when they did that they rolled his wheel chair on the ice and pushed him around with the second cup.

Great post TSA, the last team to do back to back Championships was Detroit and I was watching a hockey documentary stating how tired those guys were from the first one in the 90's. What motivated them and lit the fire was the teammate that was paralyzed in a limo crash on his day with the cup. The second win was for him and when they did that they rolled his wheel chair on the ice and pushed him around with the second cup.

That would be Vladimir Konstantinov, the player Jack Johnson models himself after. He was a great, physical defenseman. Terribly sad that he had his career cut short and the quality of his life affected in such a way.

This is speculation, but hey, why not? Lavi's system requires motivated players. This is evidenced by the turnaround this team experienced when there was a loss of old blood and an injection of new blood. (Don't forget the impact of Doug Weight and Mark Recci as relatively late additions in the cup year). Williams, Stillman, Brind'Amour, Ladd, and Commodore out (Whitney and Cullen for stretches also) and Ruutu, Sampsonov, Corvo, Aucoin, Bayda and Brookbank, and to a less extent Eaves and Conboy in. New, VERY motivated players ready to pump it up in the run and gun high energy forcheck and cycle.

It seems that the system and coach do work, but players tire of it over time, and (maybe) have higher rates of injuries in it. So, it would seem natural for the coach to keep individual minutes down and reward "work ethic" with minutes. To me this means bringing BrindAmour's minutes down.

The GM, on the other hand, must keep folding in new motivated players pretty consistantly. It seemed reasonable to stay with the team that just won the Stanely Cup, but in the end that team was tired and did very poorly the next year. Hey, perhaps they had a cup hangover. Let's keep them intact one more year. Start of the year: great but then as the season wore on: old habbits, a team tired of the relentless style of the coach. Veteran players mailing it in. Fire the coach? I say no, bring in some new players. I think JR was late to do this and that may have cost us. But when the new blood was brought in this team brought it, with arguably less skill. And the old "you can't fire the whole team so fire the coach" line is overplayed. You don't need to fire the whole team. Just fire the worst offenders and fire up the rest.

So, what do do. At least one more veteran of the cup must go for even newer blood to start. The obvious one is Cole for Big D man, but whomever would bring value. Then, just before the deadline another move. Then new additions preplayoffs. This team needs to be like sourdough: keep folding in new parts. Keep the coach the same.

Just a thought.

It shouldn't take a constant stream of new players to keep this team motivated, the simple fact that they are paid the money they are paid to play a game they love should be enough. I don't see any other teams around the league that constantly need new players to inspire the players already on the roster, teams like Detroit and New Jersey immediately come to mind. Honestly, if that is what it would take to make this team competitive throughout an entire season they might as well fire Laviolette. It would be much cheaper.

I think Laviolette's heir apparent is already in the system, Tom Rowe down in Albany.

It shouldn't take a constant stream of new players to keep this team motivated, the simple fact that they are paid the money they are paid to play a game they love should be enough. I don't see any other teams around the league that constantly need new players to inspire the players already on the roster, teams like Detroit and New Jersey immediately come to mind. Honestly, if that is what it would take to make this team competitive throughout an entire season they might as well fire Laviolette. It would be much cheaper.

I think Laviolette's heir apparent is already in the system, Tom Rowe down in Albany.

I think you're right and it would be nearly impossible to create any real team chemistry if the pieces were constantly being changed. I was just thinking that after winning it all, a fresh outlook and new motivation is needed rather than to try and keep re-creating what brought you the success to begin with. Which is what it felt like was happening over the last two seasons and makes sense, when you're talking about many of the same players from the Cup team still here.

The identity of a team is so important and becomes the calling card throughout the season, but each team has to discover it's own. This team has been searching for 2 seasons for theirs and maybe, with new players from the beginning of the season they'll have that opportunity to define their own identity. Im not saying the players need to be moved around often to achieve this, only when the pieces you have seem to have plateaued as a group and are stuck. Its JR's job to figure out which players can be moved to freshen things up, without messing with the locker room chemistry too much.

I think you're right and it would be nearly impossible to create any real team chemistry if the pieces were constantly being changed. I was just thinking that after winning it all, a fresh outlook and new motivation is needed rather than to try and keep re-creating what brought you the success to begin with. Which is what it felt like was happening over the last two seasons and makes sense, when you're talking about many of the same players from the Cup team still here.

The identity of a team is so important and becomes the calling card throughout the season, but each team has to discover it's own. This team has been searching for 2 seasons for theirs and maybe, with new players from the beginning of the season they'll have that opportunity to define their own identity. Im not saying the players need to be moved around often to achieve this, only when the pieces you have seem to have plateaued as a group and are stuck. Its JR's job to figure out which players can be moved to freshen things up, without messing with the locker room chemistry too much.

I'd like to see Laviolette go. Our lineup of players was awesome, but we couldn't win for 3 months. And the year before that we couldn't win at all. Maybe Lavi's style of play has gone stale with his long term players from the cup team. Maybe his personal relationships with players and owners isn't to good anymore(heard this from a credible inside source)

Time to see what this line up can do with a new man in charge, a new beginning, a new system to bring our players back to life. We're still hanging on to the fact he won the cup, but he's also the first coach in history to fail to make the playoffs the following two years.

Next year will be no different with him behind the bench, we'll have an awesome lineup that is capable of winning a lot but will be up and down cause of the coaching.

I think the stupidest move would be to let Cole go. He still put up 50 ish points this year. He drew tons of penalties by using his speed and power, and he set up a lot of Staals goals, he knows Staal better than anyone. He still hasn't had his big year and I beleive its coming, I don't think his injury changed him, he's effective all over the ice and just has to get better at finishing and he will have several 60-80point seasons in his career. Even if he is a 50 point scorer for now on, thas still a good thing, especially when he brings all the other *edit* to the table with him, speed, power, checking, drawing penalties.

Bring Leighton up and give him a chance to win Ward's spot. Ward has been mediocre to very good since the Cup Run. Leighton won goalie of the year in the AHL, he may be better than Ward, give him a fair chance. I'd like to see Ward own it, but he hasn't. He may not be our future. Oooh I know this ones gonna upset everyone!

Samsonov rules, Corvo Rules.

If we have to trade a couple fowards for defenseman than put Larose,Eaves,Ruutu,Letowski,Hamilton, on the block and see what we can get for 2 or 3 of them. Or maybe Bayda and Aucoin made themselves worth something this year, get rid of them first if there are offers.

Staal has a 105 point year coming!

Whitney,Williams,Cullen will be back in the top 5 scorers.

Defense, The only guys I'd like to see back are, Corvo and Gleason, other than that change it up, we gave up way to many goals this year.

New Coach, New Defense, and challenge Cam Ward with Leighton.

Thats my 2 cents.

Leighton won goalie of the year in the AHL, he may be better than Ward, give him a fair chance. I'd like to see Ward own it, but he hasn't. He may not be our future. Oooh I know this ones gonna upset everyone!

The AHL is a very different league from the nhl and I feel many of us are getting too caught up in the hype about Leighton. He is a very good keeper at that level but it doesn't translate to the nhl where everyone he's facing is significantly better. I feel he can be a solid backup in the nhl but to suggest anything more is ludicrous. He is not better than Cam Ward and never will be and he isn't the guy to challenge him. I don't think we need to challenge Ward. If we look back at this season we can notice a trend. During the times he was the clear starter he played his best hockey. At the beginning of the year he was on fire, one of the top 5 goalies in the league. He struggled a bit which is not the least bit unusual for a young goalie and Lavi began rewarding Grahame with more starts. This is one problem I have with Lavi, his loyalty to past players. It became clear later on in the season that this team would sink or swim with Cam Ward. We rode him the rest of the way and he played very well. Let him know he is the starter, let him know we believe in his abilities...and then get the kid some defense. I think that will take care of things :)

maybe Bayda and Aucoin made themselves worth something this year, get rid of them first if there are offers.

Bayda and Aucoin hardly raised their values. They are impending ufa's, we can't trade them because no one in their right mind would give up something for a guy he can sign come july 1st. They will both get two way deals elsewhere in the league but I fully expect them both to spend the majority of next year back in the ahl, they are career minor leaguers in my eyes.

I think Lavi will finish out his contract here, which I think he deserves. He did a great job the year we won the Cup, a bad job 2 years ago, and I think considering all of the injuries he did the best he could this year. However Im not so sure whether he will be re-signed after his contract is up it really depends on how we do that year. Personally I think he should stay here next year, but if he again cant at least get us into the playoffs then I think he should be let go.

My decision for a replacement coach would definitely be Tom Rowe. Look how good Boudreau (sp) and Therrien? (the pens coach not sure if i got it right) have meshed with their clubs. It could be all of the young talent that those teams have with Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin etc. but it has worked. I think Rowe has shown he is a good coach, and if he and the Rats win the Calder Cup this year, I think JR should take some serious consideration into him.

As for Leighton I would like to see him be the guy who can be a solid backup, but I dont think he will be the guy. He did OK in his games up here and while he was the top goalie in the AHL I still dont believe he can back that up in the NHL. He has always had good numbers in the NHL, but the reason he keeps floating to new teams is he can't hold it steady in the big league. However, in Montreal Carey Price has done a wonderful job coming up from the AHL (but then again he has always been a highly ranked prospect) I think that if we can get a solid defensive core, that anyone could do pretty well up here, maybe it will be him maybe not, We'll have to wait and see.

However, in Montreal Carey Price has done a wonderful job coming up from the AHL (but then again he has always been a highly ranked prospect)

Carey Price is the best prospect in hockey, big difference between a guy who's projected to be a franchise goaltender and a journeyman backup.

The AHL is a very different league from the nhl and I feel many of us are getting too caught up in the hype about Leighton. He is a very good keeper at that level but it doesn't translate to the nhl where everyone he's facing is significantly better. I feel he can be a solid backup in the nhl but to suggest anything more is ludicrous. He is not better than Cam Ward and never will be and he isn't the guy to challenge him. I don't think we need to challenge Ward. If we look back at this season we can notice a trend. During the times he was the clear starter he played his best hockey. At the beginning of the year he was on fire, one of the top 5 goalies in the league. He struggled a bit which is not the least bit unusual for a young goalie and Lavi began rewarding Grahame with more starts. This is one problem I have with Lavi, his loyalty to past players. It became clear later on in the season that this team would sink or swim with Cam Ward. We rode him the rest of the way and he played very well. Let him know he is the starter, let him know we believe in his abilities...and then get the kid some defense. I think that will take care of things :)

My biggist issue with Ward was everytime I went to a game I would have this sinking feeling in my gut as to "is Ward going to be on or off tonight". I got so tired of wondering is it the good Ward or the bad Ward tonight? I know he is and can be a GREAT goalie and he has the potential to be a legend for this team, I just want him to know it and show it consistantly and let me wonder about something else besides which Ward was going to show up. His mental issues about confidence was getting a little old for me. Of course I realize any great goalie is going to have off games, but I just want Ward to be consistantly great with some off nights. I hope and pray to the hockey gods he will grow and become more confident in his game play and let outside issues roll off his back during game time. Ward always seemed to be awesome when he had to react without thinking, but when he had to think about it for a few seconds, he usually collapsed. This is why I have talked about Leighton, I really don't know anything about him except in the AHL, he was never really given a chance to prove himself with 3 games with us this year. I really don't think Lavi or JR wanted someone else to be greater than their #1 goalie and have to continue to pay out his salary while he was the back-up, they wanted to shake him up to be #1. My 2 cents on Ward vs Leighton

I wonder about bringing Tom Rowe up as an assistant coach? Is that a demotion or promotion. I'd think it would help the Canes and also help Tom. Regardless, I question the ability of our current assistants.

My biggist issue with Ward was everytime I went to a game I would have this sinking feeling in my gut as to "is Ward going to be on or off tonight". I got so tired of wondering is it the good Ward or the bad Ward tonight?

Which unfortunetly is the growing pains you get with a young goalie.

JR was very candid in the interview. I respect the fact he didn't back down from the comments he made weeks ago and putting everyone on notice once again. I'm glad JR is looking at beefing up the D hopefully we can get a veteran netminder. I would like to see Lavi return next season I believe we can win another cup under his guidance. As others have stated the Thrashers would probably have him signed in a New York minute.