The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IceFrog999

Rutherford's Press Conference

I think you're right and it would be nearly impossible to create any real team chemistry if the pieces were constantly being changed. I was just thinking that after winning it all, a fresh outlook and new motivation is needed rather than to try and keep re-creating what brought you the success to begin with. Which is what it felt like was happening over the last two seasons and makes sense, when you're talking about many of the same players from the Cup team still here.

The identity of a team is so important and becomes the calling card throughout the season, but each team has to discover it's own. This team has been searching for 2 seasons for theirs and maybe, with new players from the beginning of the season they'll have that opportunity to define their own identity. Im not saying the players need to be moved around often to achieve this, only when the pieces you have seem to have plateaued as a group and are stuck. Its JR's job to figure out which players can be moved to freshen things up, without messing with the locker room chemistry too much.

This is what I think I was getting at. You have 15 guys plus the goalie. You get part way throught the season and you're playing poorly. You've got a guy or two that seem to have lost their edge and are looking at UFA but have been good players in the recent past. You trade those 2 guys. Then perhaps later in the year you add a rental player. You're not uprooting the core, just shuffling out guys who seem to have a problem with the coach or the system. This, along with picking up Sampsonov and bringing up the minor leaguers infused the team with huge energy and we went on a major streak.

Imagine if Rutherford just rode it out instead of the big trades, and Sampsonov pick up. We would likely have been competing with Tampa for last. Seriously, if we kept playing the way we were before the trades...(Hmmm would have gotten a great pick though). Anyways, just a thought.

Also, as I read about Cam Ward, his play makes all of this analysis really difficult. How much of our winning streak was due to Cam playing well? If that was a big part of it then this other stuff may no matter as much. His play also feeds directly into the motivation thing. Not just the coach and the system. Those demand hard work but...

I can remember many times when our guys out there busting their butts just missing a couple of chances, keeping the pressure on, then the other team gets one chance and BANG in our net. Then they get it back together, carry the play for 10 minutes then the other guys get another isolated, soft chance: BANG in our net.

I know they're pros, but this happens night after night, it's got to get to them at some level.

Still, it was clear that the team playing well in front of him helped Ward play better during the winning also (except that last one).

My decision for a replacement coach would definitely be Tom Rowe. Look how good Boudreau (sp) and Therrien? (the pens coach not sure if i got it right) have meshed with their clubs. It could be all of the young talent that those teams have with Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin etc. but it has worked. I think Rowe has shown he is a good coach, and if he and the Rats win the Calder Cup this year, I think JR should take some serious consideration into him.

you have to look big picture on Pittsburgh and Washington, at the time those coaches took over there was no where to go but up. Had a coaching change not been implemented there then they would have finished the year 29th and 30th. Their years are more the result of "change" than of spectacular coaching. When coaches get fired players take it personal like it was their fault. Most of what has happened this year I place in JR's lap!! Had he pulled the trigger on a trade a few weeks/months earlier it could have had the impact that it did. The only shakeup I want in the coaching ranks is McCarthy and Daniels gone, let Lavi bring in someone that can get the job done on special teams and defense - those two can't.

I wonder about bringing Tom Rowe up as an assistant coach? Is that a demotion or promotion. I'd think it would help the Canes and also help Tom. Regardless, I question the ability of our current assistants.

I wouldn't do that for one BIG reason, he has done a great job of preparing our depth guys in Albany. He is a testament to what we saw when we pulled up Rats as we needed them.

Here is MY opionion on a couple of points:

-Lavi should stay one more season. If he can't deliver the goods, then move on.

-Grahame is so good to look at, but that is all. We need a good back-up goalie.

-Please get rid of Frank if you can! :P

-This team BETTER NOT MOVE!!!!!!

-Ward showed what he had at the end of the season...but he HAS to show that during the ENTIRE season.

-Get Rod, Williams, and Whit back in full force and we will have good results.

-The fan base went down b/c if the horrible play during the winter. I saw some packed houses toward the end.

-PK, PK, PK!!!!! They need to devote an entire month of training on that during the off season!

I love my Canes! I think we can make it next season. Rod will be ready to play and this may be his last chance to get another cup. Counting down to opening game!!!!!!!!!

I think we're being a little harsh on Lavi for a "decision" to bring guys like Whitney and Williams back early. I lay as much blame on them as anyone else. They're world-class athletes, they've been around a long time and know ALL apsects of their own choice to play.

1) They want to play - absolutely. They're Type-A, competitive, winners, who want to be involved.

2) They know their bodies, whether they're at 100% and whether than can contribute positively vs. detract.

3) They know how physically limited teammates affect the team dynamic. Being one of these limited teammates themselves may be new to them, but they have a point of reference, for sure.

4) They watched the fill-in team and how well they were playing and COULD have said - it ain't broke don't fix it.

So... what'd they do? I doubt Lavi said "Ray, I NEED you to go tonight. Get in there." He probably said "what do you think? Can you go? Do you feel like you can make an impact?"

And one of the above 1-4 statements trumpted the others as they considered Lavi's question. We know which one won. Unfortunately, the team lost.

I dont think we should fire Lavi either, his worst years are still better then most of Mo's...

You can't blame Lavi because for 30-35 games everyone on the ice looked like they didnt even wanna play. Can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink, however I think Lavi does have a favorites issue. Larose for a long time in the early portion of the season needed to be sat, he stunk but Lavi's likes him and kept him in. Same thing with the fact the second Whitney said he was ready to go though obviously not he got put in. Lavi has to make some business desicision rather then friend desicisions.

I will say Larose towards the end of the season looked like what Lavi wanted to see in the first half prior to the injury.

For a while there I could not believe Larose was on the first line....and was ticked he remained there for so long.

Also I think Grahame was given entirely to many chances to prove himself, he shoulda been sat after getting shelled in the TB game he really proved he cant get motivated for anything when he couldnt shut them out in that game. Made me sick someone could take that much abuse from an ex coach, be given the opportunity to sock it to them and ...... tinkles it away.

Bad player personelle descisions that Lavi had control of I will give him some poop for.

I think we're being a little harsh on Lavi for a "decision" to bring guys like Whitney and Williams back early. I lay as much blame on them as anyone else. They're world-class athletes, they've been around a long time and know ALL apsects of their own choice to play.

1) They want to play - absolutely. They're Type-A, competitive, winners, who want to be involved.

So... what'd they do? I doubt Lavi said "Ray, I NEED you to go tonight. Get in there." He probably said "what do you think? Can you go? Do you feel like you can make an impact?"

And since they are Type A personalities, do you think either of them would have said "No coach, I'm not ready and cannot contribute". Players always feel like they are ready to go. I've played basketball after my doctor told me that I was risking blowing out my Achilles Tendon just because I didn't think it hurt that bad and I wanted to play pickup ball. These guys are professionals and are going to be more determined than that. I think the coaching staff has to be aware of that in this case. Both of these guys came back well before the earliest projections when they went down.

The training staff, doctors, and coaching staff have to take this stuff into consideration before they allow someone to come back. It seemed that Cullen was rushed back even if the others weren't.

This is what I think I was getting at. You have 15 guys plus the goalie. You get part way throught the season and you're playing poorly. You've got a guy or two that seem to have lost their edge and are looking at UFA but have been good players in the recent past. You trade those 2 guys. Then perhaps later in the year you add a rental player. You're not uprooting the core, just shuffling out guys who seem to have a problem with the coach or the system. This, along with picking up Sampsonov and bringing up the minor leaguers infused the team with huge energy and we went on a major streak.

Imagine if Rutherford just rode it out instead of the big trades, and Sampsonov pick up. We would likely have been competing with Tampa for last. Seriously, if we kept playing the way we were before the trades...(Hmmm would have gotten a great pick though). Anyways, just a thought.

Imagine if JR had pulled the plug in November? We'd be enjoying some Philly trolls right about now ;)

As for putting in Williams and Whitney in too soon, sure it was gamble but so was putting Cole in for game 6 and 7 of the Cup Finals. That worked so Lavi looked like a genius, this time it didnt work so some folks are ready to behead him. Id really like to see what Laviolette can do with a full healthy line up to start the season, including some new blood hungry for the post season. The last time we can say Lavi had that was in 05-06.

Imagine if JR had pulled the plug in November? We'd be enjoying some Philly trolls right about now ;)

As for putting in Williams and Whitney in too soon, sure it was gamble but so was putting Cole in for game 6 and 7 of the Cup Finals. That worked so Lavi looked like a genius, this time it didnt work so some folks are ready to behead him. Id really like to see what Laviolette can do with a full healthy line up to start the season, including some new blood hungry for the post season. The last time we can say Lavi had that was in 05-06.

I think the only difference there was that it was only one player with Cole, and if it didn't work, he had some options. This was 3 players when you include Cullen. I'm not ready to behead him either, I think he probably had some help in making this decision.

I think the only difference there was that it was only one player with Cole, and if it didn't work, he had some options. This was 3 players when you include Cullen. I'm not ready to behead him either, I think he probably had some help in making this decision.

Good point but technically Williams didnt hurt us too bad since he was taken out in the first few minutes of the game. Although it would have been nice to have had Conboy or Brookbank dressed, just in case.

I'm with you, I think it was more of an organizational decision rather than strictly a coaching decision and I think it was Forslund that said as much.

Good point but technically Williams didnt hurt us too bad since he was taken out in the first few minutes of the game. Although it would have been nice to have had Conboy or Brookbank dressed, just in case.

I'm with you, I think it was more of an organizational decision rather than strictly a coaching decision and I think it was Forslund that said as much.

If Lavi took out Bayda and Aucoin to play Cullen/Whitney/Williams, then yeah, I can see where people would be up in arms about messing with the chemistry. Cause let's face it, Walker and the rats were the best line we had.

Point is, Lavi kept that line together. He took out 2 guys that averaged less than 5 minutes a game. I hear alot of people saying that if Cullen/Whitney didn't play that last game, we would be in the playoffs. I hear alot of people (not just here) saying that Cullen giving up that shortie cost us the playoffs. Sorry, but those are just excuses and people wanting to blame someone. Here are some things to consider:

-Back in December we gave up 4 shorthanded goals to the Islanders. We would have won that game 2-1, we would be in the playoffs. (but yet people want to throw Cullen under the bus for giving up that shortie)

-We had multiple times to seal the deal without Whitney/Cullen in the line up and we didn't do it. (3/25 vs Caps win that game its over; 3/29 in Tampa, win that game its over; 4/01 vs Caps, win that game its over)

IDK, I guess I'm one for blaming the team for not getting the job done when they had multiple opportunities not b/c certain players were inserted into the line up too soon. Guess I look at it as if the team got it done earlier, these guys wouldn't of had to come back sooner than expected.

If Lavi took out Bayda and Aucoin to play Cullen/Whitney/Williams, then yeah, I can see where people would be up in arms about messing with the chemistry. Cause let's face it, Walker and the rats were the best line we had.

Point is, Lavi kept that line together. He took out 2 guys that averaged less than 5 minutes a game. I hear alot of people saying that if Cullen/Whitney didn't play that last game, we would be in the playoffs. I hear alot of people (not just here) saying that Cullen giving up that shortie cost us the playoffs. Sorry, but those are just excuses and people wanting to blame someone. Here are some things to consider:

-Back in December we gave up 4 shorthanded goals to the Islanders. We would have won that game 2-1, we would be in the playoffs. (but yet people want to throw Cullen under the bus for giving up that shortie)

-We had multiple times to seal the deal without Whitney/Cullen in the line up and we didn't do it. (3/25 vs Caps win that game its over; 3/29 in Tampa, win that game its over; 4/01 vs Caps, win that game its over)

IDK, I guess I'm one for blaming the team for not getting the job done when they had multiple opportunities not b/c certain players were inserted into the line up too soon. Guess I look at it as if the team got it done earlier, these guys wouldn't of had to come back sooner than expected.

Smart words IMO. If things were adressed back Nov and Dec, this thread wouldnt exist. Things looked so good in October so it was understandable why JR stood by in November waiting to see if it was just temporary slump. By Dec, the answer was pretty clear IMO.

Smart words IMO. If things were adressed back Nov and Dec, this thread wouldnt exist. Things looked so good in October so it was understandable why JR stood by in November waiting to see if it was just temporary slump. By Dec, the answer was pretty clear IMO.