Eaves-Brind'Amour-Walker

LaRose/Conboy-Letowski/FA signing-Brookbank

Bieksa-Corvo

Gleason-Wallin

Borer-Seidenberg/Conboy

Ward

Hedberg/Lalime/Holmqvist

Offseason Moves

-Re-sign Samsonov for something like $2-3 million.

-Trade Cole, Kaberle, and maybe something else (LaRose? Pick?) to Vancouver for Kevin Bieksa.

-Let Hedican and Wesley retire.

-Let Grahame walk

-Try to re-sign Letowski or Aucoin. If that doesn't work, try picking up a fourth-line center from the FA market

-Sign Hedberg, Lalime, or Holmqvist for cheap. All three of those are servicable backups.

EDIT: totally forgot about Eaves. Switched him and Bayda on the third line.

Source for JR quotes?

The trade rumors are there because Cole is the only expendable player we have that would give us a decent return.

Most recently, during the "Cole to Edmonton for" rumors. He said it during an interview on XM 204 as well.

Here's how I'd like to see our lineup start next season:

Whitney-Staal-Ruutu

Samsonov-Cullen-Williams

Bayda-Brind'Amour-Walker

LaRose/Conboy-Letowski/FA signing-Brookbank

Bieksa-Corvo

Gleason-Wallin

Borer-Seidenberg/Conboy

Ward

Hedberg/Lalime/Holmqvist

Offseason Moves

-Re-sign Samsonov for something like $2-3 million.

-Trade Cole, Kaberle, and maybe something else (LaRose? Pick?) to Vancouver for Kevin Bieksa.

-Let Hedican and Wesley retire.

-Let Grahame walk

-Try to re-sign Letowski or Aucoin. If that doesn't work, try picking up a fourth-line center from the FA market

-Sign Hedberg, Lalime, or Holmqvist for cheap. All three of those are servicable backups.

What happened with Bieska this season? Injury? Do we really want another player with a knack for injury?

My choice for a trade (and it's in all likelyhood a pipe dream) would be Burns from Minnesota. Probably have to trade Cole+ to get him, but perhaps Belanger can talk up Cole to the GM.

What happened with Bieska this season? Injury? Do we really want another player with a knack for injury?

My choice for a trade (and it's in all likelyhood a pipe dream) would be Burns from Minnesota. Probably have to trade Cole+ to get him, but perhaps Belanger can talk up Cole to the GM.

It was a freak injury. He accidentally got slew-footed and sliced his Achilles tendon. Evidently he was rushed back in, but in the past few games he's gotten back to form.

If Bieksa doesn't work, I'd look at someone out of Nashville. Namely one of Hamhuis or Suter.

I sit in section 117 and hung around for the jersey giveaway afterward. Hedican was one of the first out of the dressing room. He looked up into the top of sec. 116 or thereabouts (many wives sit there, but I haven't seen Kristi there this season), or perhaps to a box, smiled, waved, and held up the V-for-Victory sign (or perhaps the peace sign) and held it for a long time.

I've had seasons tickets for 5 years and have learned a lot about hockey for a guy who grew up in Mississippi, but this one mystified me. Anyone got an idea what that was about? I assumed he was saying goodbye to someone, like it was his last time on the ice.

Thanks.

I sit in section 117 and hung around for the jersey giveaway afterward. Hedican was one of the first out of the dressing room. He looked up into the top of sec. 116 or thereabouts (many wives sit there, but I haven't seen Kristi there this season), or perhaps to a box, smiled, waved, and held up the V-for-Victory sign (or perhaps the peace sign) and held it for a long time.

I've had seasons tickets for 5 years and have learned a lot about hockey for a guy who grew up in Mississippi, but this one mystified me. Anyone got an idea what that was about? I assumed he was saying goodbye to someone, like it was his last time on the ice.

Thanks.

his cousins were at the game.

Wesley, Hedican, or Brind'Amour

Wesley and Hedican gone. Brind 'Amour will try for a comeback. He was rather unimpressive in my opinion. A lot of people speculated he either had a chronic injury.

HEAD INJURY:

Tanabe or Cullen

Both gone. Cullen was brought back on a romantic lark to recapture the '06 roster. He added nothing except contributing to that backbreaking goal last night.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS:

Samsonov, Letowski, Aucoin, Bayda, Hedican, Wesley, Brookbank, and Grahame?

I hope they can keep Sammi - he was quite an asset. Letowski spent most of the year as a space heater. He came on in the last couple of games. I say he goes. Aucoin and Bayda may stay if they don't ask for more than say $650k. Wesley - didn't we already talk about him unless JR wants him for the future? Brookbank - maybe. Grahame - gone. We need a two-goalie system. The lack of certainty over being number one wasn't Ward's problem.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS:

LaRose, Ruutu, Eaves, Gleason, Seidenberg, and Conboy?

LaRose - gone probably for more money. He already has his name on the cup. Gleason will probably stay. Ruutu and Eaves (why the $&%# did we get Eaves anyway?) gone. Seidenberg - another waste of bench space - gone. Conboy - back to Albany with Aucoin.

GAME HAS PASSED THEM??

Ward, Cole

Cole has been MIA for a long long time. If he doesn't retire and any team is willling to trade a third or fourth or even fifth round draft pick - JR should take it. Ward is probably the most debatable commodity. Sure he has raw talent. But he has an obvious and costly consistency problem. Can the Canes afford that?

Will we get back Commodore, Stillman, Weight, or Recchi (all are UFAs)?

Commodore probably won't come back. We don't really want Stillman - he should retire - his shoulder must ache pretty badly all the time. Weight and Recchi - are you kidding me? Maybe if the Canes are facing a tough stretch run at the trading deadline like in '06.

Here's a good place to track contracts in the league: http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CAR' target="_blank">nhlnumbers.com[/post]

I know I am not addressing everybody, but here goes:

I don't think JR traded for Ruutu and Eaves without the idea that they will be here for a while. Samsonov hopefully will be back if the pricetag isn't too high. LaRose and Letowski are great depth guys that I hope we see stay around. Hedican is probably retiring (my opinion-health and family) and maybe Wesley(but he may hang on). Gleason is a must sign and I'd like to see Seidenberg stay also. As good as Aucoin and Bayda have been (thank God for them this year), unless we can't resign some of the above mentioned forwards or make a trade, I don't see their return. They deserve to play in the big leagues and should not get a 2 way contract this time. We could make a trade for defense and see their return. I'd like to see Conboy back. He is a very versatile and is more physical than a lot of guys we have around. Brookbank's job has to be filled whether it is by him, or if we get an upgrade at that position.

Considering the above, in the offseason, whether it starts tonight or after the playoffs, defense must be addressed. We needed an upgrade and stand to lose a couple of guys to retirement and who knows what David Tanabe's future holds (our prayers are with you for a speedy recovery). It is very easy to for me to see us starting the year with 3 new defensemen whether through trade or free agency. Please, no retreads on players who have been here before.

Goaltending. Wow, Cam can lay an egg at times, but he is learning. I cringe on every shootout, penalty shot, and breakaway. In his defense, he has been hung out to dry on many occasions by our defense. As much as we gripe, there are a lot of teams who are in need of help at that position. It's easy to say get a new one, but who? I think what Cam needs is a backup who can spell him from time to time and come in when he isn't sharp. Grahame wasn't the answer at backup for us. Either he needs more time on the ice, or he is too inconsistent to spell Cam. He's gone either way.

There is no doubt this team has talent. It was built for the new rules in the NHL. Well, it's not the new NHL anymore, it is the old NHL. Physical play is a must. Coach Lavi's apparent dislike of physicality and fighting has to go. I'm not saying he has to go, but that is part of the game if it is going to be called as it is now.

Wesley, Hedican, or Brid'Amour

Hedican will leave - Brind'Amour and Wesley will stay.

HEAD INJURY:

Tanabe or Cullen

Tanabe I dont think will be back, Cullen...depending on how the summer goes we may not see him back here.

Samsonov, Letowski, Aucoin, Bayda, Hedican, Wesley, Brookbank, and Grahame?

Samsonov, Brookbank, Aucoin, Wesley, and Bayda I expect to see back.

Letowski can be replaced; Hedican and Grahame will resign elsewhere / retire.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS:

Ruutu, Gleason, Seidenberg, and Conboy will stay. Ruutu is a pre injury Erik Cole - Gleason and Seidenberg are too young to pass on. Conboy will be our future enforcer.

LaRose and Eaves can be replaced...

GAME HAS PASSED THEM??

Ward, Cole

If Cole goes, Ruutu can easily replace him, no doubt in my mind. Ward is to young to give up on, I mean, give me a break, 37 wins compared to 30 last year and we want him out the door? Granted his save percentage, shutout, and goals against average stats are not the best, but we still win...

No, No, No and No. Why bring back older guys? We are old enough as it is, bring in younger guys for the future.

the trolls must be getting a kick out of seeing all of this....lets just sit all of the guys everybody want gone and play a friendly game of duck, duck, goose. c'mon people. :angry:

i know we have the *SARCASM ALERT* on this forum....do we need an *OVERREACTION ALERT* too??

good lord people, this organization is still headed in the right direction. cullen will be fine. wesley and hedi are done, we knew this, but that frees up $3.5m for a SOLID dman in free agency. cole is ever dangerous, despite the unfilled potential [ive said multiple times that he'd be the best hockey player in the world if hockey didnt involve pucks.], we've got youth and experience, and FINALLY our farm pool is STARTING to look good. another decent draft this year...we'll be fine. and give ward time...he played great down the stretch...he just had a rough game at a bad time [even then, only the 4th goal can be considered soft]. and dont anyone dare say he isnt clutch, not after game 7, no way.

does no one remember our great play these last two months? im dissapointed too, but lets go...

Amen. Some people on here are just plain ridiculous with their posts/thoughts on the future...

The only players JR said he would not consider trading were Staal and Ward. When those Edmonton rumors were going around (remember the Staal ones too?) JR said on XM that Cole was not going to Edmonton. He said he never even got a call. He said Cole was not going anywhere, he never said he would not trade him, not in the same context he said it for Staal. I personally have no doubt that he was being shopped around based on some of my sources but he could not get anything he considered fair in return. I had heard about it long before the rumors starting flying around. Also heard that during those troubled months mid season - we had big locker room issues. Apparently, there was someone in there who challenged Brindy's leadership and it did not go over well with the rest of the players and caused a lot of issues. That player was traded, it is probably easy to figure out who is was. I don't expect him back for this reason, not necessarily because he said he wants to stay where he is. All hearsay but I trust my source and I'm the only one who matters to me. ;)

I think Hedican has to retire, with the questions surrounding his ability to play before the season started and the multiple injuries he incurred, I just don't think his body can take it anymore. If Wesley wants to come back, he will be back. I have heard JR mention that this year in an interview. Wesley is not our best defenseman but definitely the smartest. I had no issues with his play this year. He plays his role well. (Accent on "his role").

As far as changes in the off-season, who the heck knows! Anything can happen regardless of what anyone has said previously. I think we will resign Gleason, Larose, Letowski, Tuumo, and Eaves. Gleason, Letowski and LaRose had breakout years and JR brought in Eaves and Tuumo for a reason.

I also think we probably resign Aucoin, Bayda and Conboy but they will be back in the AHL next season. Brookbank - questionable. He is a UFA I think it depends on what JR does with our D in the off-season. He may look for a more seasoned tough guy who brings a little something more to the table. But he will stay cheap (500K this year) so it is possible he stays. I have a feeling that teams will be looking for more toughness this offseason and it would not surprise me if someone else makes him an offer, doubtful though.

Seidenberg was a healthy scratch a lot this season, not sure he's staying.

I am afraid we will not see Tanabe again - on any team.

Grahame - bye bye. I think Leighton will get a shot at back up next year. Grahame was a class act, went down to the AHL, sat and watched Ward put on a Brodeur hat and start every game like the professional he is supposed to be. Unfortunately many are not when they are in that position. He could have played better, but we could have given him a lot more support in many games too. Anyway - NEXT!

Samsonov, I'm sure JR will have talks with him. I do not have any doubts there is a mutual desire to have him in a Canes uniform next year. It all depends on how much he wants and if any other team would be willing to take a chance on him now that he has been showcased. Personally I would love to see him stay. He is the type of player that is just fun to watch. Those players can increase your ticket sales if you market them right.

There are few other Rats that are RFA's on the list, I have no idea what happens to them other than we won't see them up here again unless we have another injury ridden season.

I think we will see some kind of trade, don't know what. We still need improvement on the D. I tend to think Cole is the most expendable but who knows. For some reason I keep thinking Whitney could be too. I don't think we see a whole lot of trade action with the new blood JR has brought in with Corvo, Eaves, Tuumo and (potentially) Samsonov. Getting back our IR team and mixing them with these new guys - we have a new team. And I like it, but we need tweaking.

Wesley, Hedican, or Brid'Amour

Hedican is done, I'd be OK if Wes came back but he may be ready to hang them up... Brind'Amour will be back.

HEAD INJURY:

Tanabe or Cullen

Tanabe won't be back, I just hope he can resume an everyday life. That was a career-ending concussion. Cullen I believe will be back, we were much better with him. Besides he has a contract, no?

Samsonov, Letowski, Aucoin, Bayda, Brookbank, and Grahame?

Brookbank, Aucoin, and Bayda I think will be back. Letowski may just be the odd man out. I have no love for either Aucoin or Bayda but would be OK if they came back. I really like Brookbank. Samsonov and JR will talk but I expect him to be too expensive. He made 3.25M this year and would probably want the same, which is a little high for our payroll. We have seen the last of Grahame.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS:

LaRose, Gleason, and Conboy will stay; LaRose & Gleason are good and JR will keep them happy.. Conboy I doubt anyone will offer. Ruutu will stay unless someone offers him more $$.. I don't think JR will overspend for him. Eaves should be possible to resign without too high an offer from another team.. that leaves Seidenberg. Maybe the same as the others.. resign if you don't have to overspend. Hes OK but not a top-4 Dman.

GAME HAS PASSED THEM??

Ward, Cole

Both will be back. Ward improved over last year and he will again. If he improves as much next year as this, he will be amazing. I disagree with those giving up on him so early. A goalie needs experience before coming into his prime. Cole showed flashes and I think he is still injury-prone, but he can still blow by everybody. He needs to finish more and get back to his 30-goal potential. I think the only people considering trading him are on this board. My opinion.

All No, a thousand times No. We need to get younger. Love Stillman but he may be on the downside of his career.

For those that think Hedican is done....

For an old man he played consistently this year. Gleason has credited Hedican the most in his game development. Going into last nites game Heddy was a plus 16. A PLUS 16 PEOPLE.. ON THIS TEAM!!! He can still skate very fast as seen last night when he saved that empty netter. He's sound defensively and can still defend the 2:1 odd man rush. I for one hope he does not retire.

The real question is: can he dance????

I agree with you Ivy, I hope Hedican doesn't retire or Wesley either for that matter. We have so many kids on this message board who thinks only youth is worthy of playing hockey. No one looks at the stats especially Hedican's. This summer we will have endless repetative threads about Hedican and Wesley needing to retire and be gone to nauseum.

I agree with you Ivy, I hope Hedican doesn't retire or Wesley either for that matter. We have so many kids on this message board who thinks only youth is worthy of playing hockey. No one looks at the stats especially Hedican's. This summer we will have endless repetative threads about Hedican and Wesley needing to retire and be gone to nauseum.

Those two aren't up there because of their age, but because they publically comtemplated retirement at the beginning of this season. Wesley signed a 1-year contract at the beginning of this year, almost guaranteeing he's done after this year. And Hedican was thinking about retiring because of his injuries. The fact that his wife stated that she and the kids were moving down to Florida pretty much means that Hedican is probably going with them.

Don't assume it's "kids wanting youth" if you don't know the entire story. :rolleyes:

Wesley has signed a one year contract for the past two seasons. He was going to retire after the Cup run remember? He's also stated he wants another ring. Who knows?

Point in case: Nobody here knows. Speculate all you like, but that's all it is. Speculation.

Wesley has signed a one year contract for the past two seasons. He was going to retire after the Cup run remember? He's also stated he wants another ring. Who knows?

Point in case: Nobody here knows. Speculate all you like, but that's all it is. Speculation.

Unless the speculation involves a Cole trade, right? :rolleyes:

Unless the speculation involves a Cole trade, right? :rolleyes:

Nope, speculate on a Cole trade as well. You guys have a perfect record so far. :lol:

Those two aren't up there because of their age, but because they publically comtemplated retirement at the beginning of this season. Wesley signed a 1-year contract at the beginning of this year, almost guaranteeing he's done after this year. And Hedican was thinking about retiring because of his injuries. The fact that his wife stated that she and the kids were moving down to Florida pretty much means that Hedican is probably going with them.

Don't assume it's "kids wanting youth" if you don't know the entire story. :rolleyes:

First of all Wesley was offered a one year contract and he took it, he never said this was his last year, he said he would take it one year at a time from here on out. He could be offered another year, this is something that you or I don't know. There were just about as many posts about Wesley should not be offered another contract, before his contract was offered because of his age and it was time for him to go too.

I have heard about Hedican needed to retire for 2 years now because of his injuries and age from so many posters on this board and if you took a poll most of them would be under 20 years of age.

To think that people actually thought Hedican should not return for the team and just give up his salary that fed his wife and kids, for the good of the team. Obviously only kids or someone with no common sense would even think that would happen.

So yes trust me I do know the entire story. Posters were wanted them gone long before any contracts were offered or accepted by either of them. Go back to last summers threads before they announced their return and that will tell you the entire story. :rolleyes:

Ward's game passed him? When did this happen?

And Brindy still ahs 3 years left on his deal. Get some facts together then worry about who stays or who goes.