The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Hammy-ch1

Have we seen the last of....

First of all Wesley was offered a one year contract and he took it, he never said this was his last year, he said he would take it one year at a time from here on out. He could be offered another year, this is something that you or I don't know. There were just about as many posts about Wesley should not be offered another contract, before his contract was offered because of his age and it was time for him to go too.

I have heard about Hedican needed to retire for 2 years now because of his injuries and age from so many posters on this board and if you took a poll most of them would be under 20 years of age.

To think that people actually thought Hedican should not return for the team and just give up his salary that fed his wife and kids, for the good of the team. Obviously only kids or someone with no common sense would even think that would happen.

So yes trust me I do know the entire story. Posters were wanted them gone long before any contracts were offered or accepted by either of them. Go back to last summers threads before they announced their return and that will tell you the entire story. :rolleyes:

Most people were saying that if Hedican couldn't play 100% throughout the season, it'd be better for the team if he retired so we could get a defenseman who could. Hedican was, once again, plagued by injuries this season.

The fact of the matter is, age does eventually catch up with the players. There have been plenty of times during the year that Hedican and Wesley have been beaten by speedier forwards, because they just don't have the same skating abilities as they did in their youth.

Like it or not, the team is going to have to get younger eventually. Age itself isn't a bad thing, but it's when your age starts to affect your play that things start to change.

Can I nominate this for post of the month???

We need an overreaction alert. I have deliberately not posted today. Too busy laughing hysterically at some of the comments I have seen.

K~

I second or third or fourth the nomination. Haven't read far enough in this thread to see how many it's gotten.

Most people were saying that if Hedican couldn't play 100% throughout the season, it'd be better for the team if he retired so we could get a defenseman who could. Hedican was, once again, plagued by injuries this season.

The fact of the matter is, age does eventually catch up with the players. There have been plenty of times during the year that Hedican and Wesley have been beaten by speedier forwards, because they just don't have the same skating abilities as they did in their youth.

Like it or not, the team is going to have to get younger eventually. Age itself isn't a bad thing, but it's when your age starts to affect your play that things start to change.

You make some good points Ice, but look at their stats for the season compared to our younger defencemen and explain that. Everyone in the NHL wants younger faster DMen, there hardly any available in the NHL now, so what are we going to do?

I second or third or fourth the nomination. Haven't read far enough in this thread to see how many it's gotten.

I havent read this thread yet but who are we trading, firing or burning at the stake today?

Edit: Ive read enough, another panic thread.

I havent read this thread yet but who are we trading, firing or burning at the stake today?

Edit: Ive read enough, another panic thread.

You make some good points Ice, but look at their stats for the season compared to our younger defencemen and explain that. Everyone in the NHL wants younger faster DMen, there hardly any available in the NHL now, so what are we going to do?

Well, there are some upcoming free agents that could possibley be signed if Wesley or Hedican retire.

Rozsival, I believe, is a free agent. 13 goals this season.

Salvador's another option. He'll likely be the odd man out, if the rumors are true and Smith is signing with the Devils next year.

And then there's Kalinen, though I'm not sure if we want to deal with a Sabre.

We could also call up some D-men from the Rats. Use Conboy or Brookbank in their natural position, or use Borer, since he's shown the most hockey skill out of the 3.

Can I be a wee bit goofy for a second?

How about you guys get LaLime? I really liked him here in Chicago this year, and think he has proven himself as a starter. He made I think 850,000 this year, and can probably be had for a little more.

I think Samsonov found a home there. I am very happy for him.

Ruutu, well, his agent is a little *edit*, and more then a few believe he is the reason Ruutu was dealt.

I just think the team needs to stick with what worked late in the season and not revert back to the "look at our depth on offense" team that ran out of gas a month into the season.

Keep the Bayda / Aucoin / Walker line together. There isn't any reason why Aucoin and Bayda should be back in the AHL next season, if the Hurricanes plan to send them there I expect both will be quick to sign with another team that will give them a shot. Williams' return will be a suitable replacement for Samsonov if he won't sign an affordable deal. If Samsonov is re-signed, that makes Cole expendable if a deal were to arise that could have a significant impact on the defense. I would expect both LaRose and Letowski to be loyal to Carolina and re-sign at fair value, set them on the fourth line with Eaves who I feel could develop quite a chemistry as they all share common attributes.

With all of that said, Johan Hedberg should be our #1 target in free agency.

Everyone says we have seen the last of Grahame, but your just saying that because most of you don't like him. I Would say that there is a fair chance of him resigning at the same or slightly less price.

But if he doesnt stay, id like to see us get Leighton Back or try for Hedberg

I hope Letowski is gone. For someone who isnt all that gifted offensively, he was a -10 and absolutely killed us earlier in the year. And I really don't see why everyone is hating on Hedican, he played just as many games as Wallin and look at the stats, Wallin was our worst defensemen this year hands down. If I was GM I would get rid of both him and Kaberle. Frank didn't score a goal all year...what kind of offensive defensemen does that? Aucoin, Bayda, and Brookbank? You guys realize that these are career minor leaguers right? Who cares if they can cycle the puck, they are 4th liners at best. The priority should be on signing sammy, larose, and ruutu. Offer hedican and wesley 1 yr contracts and if they decide to retire, we have to make a trade for one.

You serious about Cullen there, Rob? He was scoring on an 80-point pace while seeing third-line minutes until that puke Orr hit him.

Not really. I take it back. It was probably the beer talking. I actually like Cullen and hope he's not seriously long-term hurt by that cheap headhunting.

Everyone says we have seen the last of Grahame, but your just saying that because most of you don't like him. I Would say that there is a fair chance of him resigning at the same or slightly less price.

John got paid $1.3mil and he didn't play enough games to command that salary in the end. He didn't work out in most games. Plus someone had said before that he put his house on the market shorty after returning from his "stint" in Albany. I think that may be a clue.

With the rest.

I would be utterly shocked to see Hedican back. Same with Wes.

I think we should keep Brookbank around because he is a cheap option and we've seen how we fair without him.

Not sure how the other FA will pan out this season....it should be interesting to see who we keep and who goes though.

HAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHA oh man lol

oh...you're serious?

A lot of it is you need to look at what the Canes will have back for sure, and the needs of the team.

For forwards, we'll have Staal, Cole, Brind'Amour, Whitney, Williams, Cullen, Hamilton and Walker signed. Cole and Hamilton being a UFA after next season and Staal a RFA. That's 8 that have contracts already.

There's a bunch of RFA's that will need re-signed: LaRose, Ruutu, Eaves, and minor leaguers in Jensen, Nolan, and Dwyer. I expect all to at least be given a qualifying offer. Whether any will get an offer anywhere else depends more likely on, well, Kevin Lowe. :lol: Add in the first three and that brings it up to 11 forwards total. Jensen, Nolan, and Dwyer in Albany again unless some major changes are made.

Forwards that are UFA's are: Samsonov, Letowski, Bayda and Aucoin. I'm hoping they try to re-sign Samsonov, but that means that there will need to be at least one other forward traded to make room for him most likely. Letowski is someone I don't think the fans give enough credit to. He was pushed back from a fuller role he could have handled (and showed it late in the season), and also was a key PK'er. But he's an odd man out with the setup. Bayda and Aucoin I have nothing against, but yet again they seem to be the odd men out. Most likely they'd be given minor league offers so they can fill in for injuries, or they are given a shot by another team.

So the forwards look basically like this:

Whitney/Staal/Cole

Samsonov/Brind'Amour/Williams

Ruutu/Cullen/Walker

LaRose/Hamilton/Eaves

Possible PK'ers are: Brind'Amour, Williams, Staal, Cole, LaRose, and Ruutu. Some very good choices available there, with possibly some others added if need be.

That leaves no room for an enforcer unless you sit someone, and personally I'd like to see a good checking line added to the mix as well (which I'd probably mix up the lineup a bit more to try making one - switching Brindy and Cullen in their lines). It really doesn't leave room for Sutter, either, as you'd have to choose either him or say Brookbank. So at least one or two of those names will likely be traded before the start of next season, IMO. I'm not even going to consider Brind'Amour retiring, as I only see him doing so if there's just no way he can continue playing. I fully expect him back next year.

On defense, you've got Kaberle, Wallin, Corvo and Tanabe, plus Borer signed for next year. I expect all back except Tanabe, which I hate to think of, but I'm not very optimistic at this point from what is being said. That's 3, maybe 4 D there.

RFA D's are: Gleason and Seidenberg, then Conboy and Mormina at the minor level. Again, I expect both the starters back. So that adds two more for 5. 6 if Borer gets the call.

UFA's are Hedican, Wesley, and Brookbank. Hedican I really expect to retire, which saddens me as I think he's been a much greater asset to the team than most fans give him credit for. You can tell the games where he's been gone, because he adds a movement to the back-end that is rarely seen with him out of the line-up. Wesley I'm not sure about. I wasn't expecting him back this last year, but he surprised me. Brookbank I'd expect back unless they find an enforcer with more skill. Which I doubt since it would increase the cost considerably, and the Canes don't have the room for it, especially if they go for another good defenseman. So you're looking at Possibly 7 D right there if Hedican, Wesley, and Tanabe retire, and Borer is given a spot, plus an enforcer. Could always be someone traded away to get a new D, too. I see Kaberle being the most likely of the vets since Wallin has the NTC and Corvo isn't going anywhere. Seids a possibility as well.

Goalies, Ward is a given being back and has the contract. Not sure if many realize, but both Grahame and Leighton are UFA's after this season. So a choice would need to be made on Leighton. I'm guessing Leighton will be brought up to be Ward's backup after the year he's had in Albany, and possibly provide a little "young" competition in net, while Grahame is almost certainly gone.

So the main keys I see are Samsonov (re-signed or not?), Wesley, and then what trades are made. I'm hoping trades focus on getting some more young talent into the system, too, considering we do have an abundance looking at things. And who gets traded? Cole and Hamilton are the only ones who will be UFA's at the end of next season, so may be trade bait. Who else? We could always pick up some FA's and then make some trades depending on what we end up with, too.

This off-season is going to be a really great one to watch.

I think those who are saying we've seen the last of Grahame are going on the fact that he didn't start in the last 20 games. It wasn't because Ward couldn't have used a night off, it was because Grahame couldn't be trusted to win.

We need a 2 smurf limit.

No more than 2 of these: Letowski, Hamilton, LaRose, Aucoin. On merit for the full season I say LaRose and Aucoin.

The other 2 lose out to Eaves and Ruutu.

Staal centers Whitney and Ruutu

Brind'Amour centers Samsinov and Williams

Cullen centers Walker and Bayda

Smurfs (2) and Conboy fill in the rest. (Conboy is tougher than Brookbank and more skilled).

Defense:

Corvo/Gleason

Borer/Seidenberg

Wallin/Anyone but Kaberle

Remainder: TBD from Cole trade

Where did this Herberg thing come in? :huh:

I suggested it because, quite frankly, Ward needs a backup that can play around 30 games without being a liability like Grahame was. There aren't many UFA goalies this year. Huet and Theodore are the top-end ones, and it seems to be the general belief that their current teams will try to re-sign them. Lalime, Holmqvist, and Hedberg are probably the best UFA's that fit our need. They won't cost much, either.

While I see Hedican retiring and moving his family closer to Kristy's, I see Wesley possibly given it one more

try (50/50). Brind'Amour will be back.

HEAD INJURY: Tanabe or Cullen

Tanabe has been a non-factor this whole season since his injury. Obviously the concussion was very bad.

Maybe career ending. Cullen will be a wait and see. He'll have the whole off-season to see how he feels and

whether or not his career is done due to the concussions he has had this season.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: Samsonov, Letowski, Aucoin, Bayda, Hedican, Wesley, Brookbank, and Grahame?

Samsonov got rejuvenated here.

Letowski had a great end of the season.

Wesley is a 50/50 question mark.

"Rat Pack" of Aucoin, Bayda, Brookbank could go either way. Sign and stay with the big club or return to Albany. They've all earned

spots to compete for roster spots in the fall.

Grahame is gone. Leighton will be called up to backup Ward.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: LaRose, Ruutu, Eaves, Gleason, Seidenberg, and Conboy?

LaRose- back.

Ruutu- back.

Gleason- back.

Conboy- Albany

Eaves- Should get a chance to make the club in the fall.

Seidenberg- back if both Wesley and Hedican retire.

GAME HAS PASSED THEM?? Ward, Cole

They'll be back.

Will we get back Commodore, Stillman, Weight, or Recchi (all are UFAs)?

Stillman maybe. Everyone else, no.

Could see Aaron Ward back, as he has stated he wants to return to the club.

Possible lines next season:

Brind'Amour / Williams / Whitney

Staal / Cole / Samsonov

Letowski / Ruutu / LaRose

Cullen / Walker / ????? (Aucoin, Bayda, Stillman)

Corvo / Kaberle

Gleason / Wallin

Seidenberg / Wesley (Ward)

Here is Luke's thoughts.....

July 1 is less than three months away...

In the salary-cap world, it's never too early to start thinking about next season. And while the Hurricanes have a full load of forwards, they'll probably be looking for a defenseman via trade or free agency.

Assuming the Canes can get their restricted free agents and Sergei Samsonov signed for reasonable amounts and replace John Grahame with Michael Leighton, they'll have 14 forwards, six defensemen (assuming Casey Borer or Brett Carson as the sixth/seventh guy) and two goalies for about $47 million.

That leaves $2 million to add a defenseman to replace Glen Wesley and Bret Hedican, assuming (again) both retire while keeping the payroll at about $49 million. There would be another $800,000 in the pot if they trade or waive Jeff Hamilton, as they tried to do this spring.

(And all of this would be moot if they bring back Cory Stillman, which given the financial situation and the way they played without him would seem to be subtraction by addition -- Stillman's return would by necessity doom the Hurricanes to many of the same defensive problems they had this season.)

So, taking all those assumptions with a large grain of salt, what can you get for $2.8 million? Well, not Brian Campbell. But here are a few potential free-agent defensemen who might fit the bill (literally and figuratively), and with the caveat that they may all get $5 million or more as teams plan on the cap going up

After what Luke said, we need to pull the trigger and scoop up JM-L. Just sayin'. Especially given the fact that we've looked into him before. If we keep going back to him, then there is no reason not to go for him, aside from money issues, of course.

Wesley, Hedican, or Brid'Amour

Wesley and Hedican retire, hopefully.

HEAD INJURY:

Tanabe or Cullen

Tanabe gone, cullen stays and doesnt do well

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS:

Samsonov, Letowski, Aucoin, Bayda, Hedican, Wesley, Brookbank, and Grahame?

Samsonov, Brookbank, Aucoin resign

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS:

LaRose, Ruutu, Eaves, Gleason, Seidenberg, and Conboy?

LaRose, Ruutu, Gleason, Seidenberg resign

GAME HAS PASSED THEM??

Ward stays, coles gone, hopefully.

no.

we need another goalie to split time with ward. look for a completely revamped defense next year.

Brindy will return, just try and stop him! I think Wesley will too, hopefully... he had an excellent season. But, I don't know about Hedican. I think he did well, but I expect he wants to end his career soon.

HEAD INJURY:

Tanabe or Cullen

Poor Tanabe, I don't expect to see him again on the ice. I hate that.

Cullen likes it here, so the only reason that he would leave is if they trade him... which I don't see happening

I like Grahame, personally... but his performance has been too poor to keep him. Sammi is needed. Letowski, Aucoin and Bayda should be pretty economical re-signs. If there is another surplus of forwards, expect Aucoin and Bayda back in Albany. It would be nice to keep them on the shelf incase of another injury problem like this season... with their energy in the lineup (along with Walker), we turned around a very bad slump and almost made the playoffs.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS:

I'd love to see LaRose and Ruutu on a line with Walker or Letowski next season. Seids and Gleason are must haves, they are young and hot dmen, which is our weak-spot. When Seidenberg was healthy, and played, he was great this year. So was Gleason. I like Conboy, I think he could be another cheap re-sign.

GAME HAS PASSED THEM??

Ward, Cole

Ward is very young, and playing pretty well considering. If he had a capable back-up, he wouldn't have had to carry all the weight of the 4-5 "must-win games" that came at the end of the season. With some relief, we would be in the Playoffs right now.

I hate to say it, but we need to use Cole as trade-bait, maybe with Grahame, Eaves or Hamilton to pick-up someone who can help.

I'd like to see Stillman and Commodore back. But, I doubt that we will see Weight and Recchi back.

I like the idea of getting that goalie from Colorado better than the Leighton idea. Michael Leighton is doing very well in the AHL, but it is NOT the NHL... he needs work before he is going to be a capable NHL goalie. If we bring him up before he is ready, we'll have another John Grahame in the back-up spot - someone that the team is not confident in. And if the defense doesn't dramatically improve in the off-season, we will need an outstanding goaltender duo.

I don't understand some of the things that Lavi has done, but I expect that he did them for the "right" reasons. He is a pretty good coach, and he has a good system going. So, I'd let him keep going. If things continue to end in a disappointed way for the franchise in the next season or two, then is the time to make a dramatic change in coaching staff.

We're so close-

Wesley, Hedican, or Brind'Amour

Wesley: No. He wants a second cup. Hedican: Nah. He loves Carolina too much, but it's a 50/50 chance. He could return, but he knows his limits, being injuries. Brind'Amour: Nah, but he needs to step up his game a little to catch up with the younger fellas.

HEAD INJURY:

Tanabe or Cullen

Cullen: Yes. Tanabe: No.

Sammy: Yes, if we can keep him. Lets: Yes, he's had a good season. Coiner: Yeah, he's a pint-sized dude but he's a good player. Bayda: Yeah. Hedican: Probably. Wesley: Of course. Brookbank: Most likely. He's a fighter and he's agressive, he'll check people, which we like. Grahame: No, get a new goalie.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS:

All but Conboy. He played good, just don't think...

GAME HAS PASSED THEM??

Ward, Cole

Cole: Keep. Ward: Trade for a new goalie. Seems goalies have been our problems this year, would definatly be great to get 2 new ones.

None of them. If anyone, get Weight.

Love to see Aaron Ward back here.

Now I may have some flames coming upon me for saying "away with Wardo", but I'm prepared to explain, if needed.

Wesley and Hedican retire, hopefully.

HEAD INJURY:

Tanabe or Cullen

Tanabe gone, cullen stays and doesnt do well

Samsonov, Brookbank, Aucoin resign

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS:

LaRose, Ruutu, Gleason, Seidenberg resign

GAME HAS PASSED THEM??

Ward stays, coles gone, hopefully.

no.

we need another goalie to split time with ward. look for a completely revamped defense next year.

Why do you want so many people to "leave, hopefully"?