The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Hammy-ch1

Have we seen the last of....

i think Lalime would be a great addition here.. he'd give ward a lot of rest and i've seen how many games he took over for Khabibulin and how good he looked. plus it's more likely to happen because he played in Chicago. haha

i think Lalime would be a great addition here.. he'd give ward a lot of rest and i've seen how many games he took over for Khabibulin and how good he looked. plus it's more likely to happen because he played in Chicago. haha

i kinda like it, not a bad choice. with that new kid they got...whats his name? he played the hurricanes and now i cant remember....they've got an abundance of goaltenders and lalime will be let go. good call on the chicago link too.

i kinda like it, not a bad choice. with that new kid they got...whats his name? he played the hurricanes and now i cant remember....they've got an abundance of goaltenders and lalime will be let go. good call on the chicago link too.

Corey Crawford played against us

JR, if you're reading these boards and looking for some parting comments to players, consider these:

Wesley. You're a freak of nature - please don't retire. You're hands down the most solid, all around defensemen on the team. We need your experience and leadership on the blue line, especially when we get Borer up here full time next year.

Corvo. You gave us exactly what we needed when we needed it. Remember that hat trick you had, yeah, umhh, well you did realize we had a few more games on the schedule after that, didn't you? See ya next year.

Hedican. Thanks for all of your contributions, especially in '06. You really can skate. Best wishes.

Kaberle. Hope you find a team that can use your......... Take care.

Seidenberg. ? Maybe send him a letter. Don't know what to say about him. Can't associate his name with a single play or game, whether positive or negative, all year long.

Wallin. Son, you might want to find yourself one of those speed skating coaches. If you're gonna be with us for another year, for god's sake please put some step in your skates.

Brookbank, Conboy. Generally speaking you have no glaringly obvious skills on the ice, but for whatever reason we always seemed to win with you out there. Why you weren't in the line up for the last few games is a real mystery to me.

Williams. We love ya big guy but your miraculous recovery was a huge distraction to the team. Take care of that knee over the summer.

Samsonov. Don't forget to remind your agent that I gave you a shot when everyone, and I mean everyone, had given up on you. Don't expect anything different from those folks if you do leave us and go somewhere else. The minute you slump out they'll ship you off again. That said, hope to see you next year.

Cole. If you're worried about your neck, maybe you should retire. Noone would fault you for a second if you did. If it's not your neck and you want to play in the NHL next year, play like you mean it. Most teams, like us, can't afford to pay someone who shows up every 14th game.

Staal, LaRose, Walker, Ruutu. You are a monster. Whatever we're paying you, it ain't enough.

Ward. Coach really screwed you over for the first 2/3 of the season. Playing head games and making you think Grahame or Leighton we're going to take your job was just stupid coaching. You deserved way, way better than that. That said, you really stunk it up last Friday night against the Panthers.

JR, if you're reading these boards and looking for some parting comments to players, consider these:

Wesley. You're a freak of nature - please don't retire. You're hands down the most solid, all around defensemen on the team. We need your experience and leadership on the blue line, especially when we get Borer up here full time next year.

Corvo. You gave us exactly what we needed when we needed it. Remember that hat trick you had, yeah, umhh, well you did realize we had a few more games on the schedule after that, didn't you? See ya next year.

Hedican. Thanks for all of your contributions, especially in '06. You really can skate. Best wishes.

Seidenberg. ? Maybe send him a letter. Don't know what to say about him. Can't associate his name with a single play or game, whether positive or negative, all year long.

Wallin. Son, you might want to find yourself one of those speed skating coaches. If you're gonna be with us for another year, for god's sake please put some step in your skates.

Brookbank, Conboy. Generally speaking you have no glaringly obvious skills on the ice, but for whatever reason we always seemed to win with you out there. Why you weren't in the line up for the last few games is a real mystery to me.

Williams. We love ya big guy but your miraculous recovery was a huge distraction to the team. Take care of that knee over the summer.

Samsonov. Don't forget to remind your agent that I gave you a shot when everyone, and I mean everyone, had given up on you. Don't expect anything different from those folks if you do leave us and go somewhere else. The minute you slump out they'll ship you off again. That said, hope to see you next year.

Cole. If you're worried about your neck, maybe you should retire. Noone would fault you for a second if you did. If it's not your neck and you want to play in the NHL next year, play like you mean it. Most teams, like us, can't afford to pay someone who shows up every 14th game.

Staal, LaRose, Walker, Ruutu. You are a monster. Whatever we're paying you, it ain't enough.

Ward. Coach really screwed you over for the first 2/3 of the season. Playing head games and making you think Grahame or Leighton we're going to take your job was just stupid coaching. You deserved way, way better than that. That said, you really stunk it up last Friday night against the Panthers.

I nominate this for post of the day. Perfect summary. I agree 100%.

NO..Wesley, PLEASE! PLEASE! RETIRE!!!

I think we will see Ruutu, Samsonov and LaRose (I believe he's a FA) resigned. Then I think A.Ward will be taking Hedican's spot, and if Wesley goes Borer can be called up. If JR wants to target another D-man then I think that Cole very well could be traded due to our depth at forward. I strongly believe that if Cullen, Brindy are healthy, we resign who we need to, and adjust our D then we will be one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the East next year.

Grahame and Hedican's salaries should be off the books which is necessary to adjust our team like we need to. Wesley can come back and be effective, but if he doesn't then Borer/Ward may replace them. We also really need to replace Grahame with a solid, veteran backup who can help out Ward develop into the goalie he has the potential to be.

The only things that need to be changed is back up goalie and a few defense people to help out Hedican and Wesley...if they don't retire. Everything else needs to stay the same. And...I really hate to say this...but I think a "C" needs to go on the Staal jersey. I love Brind'Amour and everything, but the team seemed to pick it up once Staal had to take charge.

EDIT: Oh yeah...and Kaberle does need to go. He is the biggest wuss of a defenseman I've ever seen.

Seems like alot of people want to see Hamilton released or banished to the AHL next season. It wasn't too long ago that he scored two powerplay goals in a dominant performance over Atlanta. I think he is a cheap option to keep around on the fourth-line and for the powerplay, re-sign LaRose and Letowski and that'll be that.

If Ruutu and Samsonov are able to be re-signed at affordable rates, I think this team is set at forward for next season and the majority of the offseason can be focused on the defense. That's the only position where I think the team should consider releasing certain players and making aggressive moves to upgrade it.

Ward: Trade for a new goalie. Seems goalies have been our problems this year, would definatly be great to get 2 new ones.

Now I may have some flames coming upon me for saying "away with Wardo", but I'm prepared to explain, if needed.

Yeah, please explain why you want to trade Ward.

Well said. At minimum Kaberle and Hedican need to be off the team for the 2008-2009 season. Kaberle is small, slow, and passive -- and can't shoot. Hedican is incredibly fast and is as brittle as blown glass. When he got crushed by an AO hit when we played the CAPs away, I thought they were going to need a broom to sweep up the pieces. I really think Hedican's first priority this year was to make it through the year without breaking anything. If at all feasible, I'd like to see Wallin gone as well. He is a 220 lb defense man who plays like the dancing granny on ice. He has zero hockey sense. Sometimes he looks lost like a deer in headlights when the puck comes to him. I can't tell much about Seidenberg. Maybe his high ankle sprain was the reason he was so nondescript. We need a defensive revamping badly. The new NHL is not only fast, but hard-hitting. The Holiday on Ice Skater defensemen are useless. It's a travesty that other than Corvo and Gleason, we don't have any other defenseman who would consider decking an opposing player. Name one awesome hit by Hedican, Kaberle, Wallin, or Seidenberg in any of the 82 games this season. I can't remember one awe-inspiring hit. Ruutu delivered more hits in one game than all of those four combined over the entire season. The new (post Samsonov, Ruutu, Eaves, Corvo) Hurricanes are fast and tough. Combined with the pre-trade Hurricanes who remained (and with the four exceptions noted above), everybody on the team is motivated and to quote a former coach at Grambling, they are "agile, mobile, and hostile." We do need a young Aaron Ward type of beastly defenseman. Cole needs to see a sports psychologist to work on attitude adjustment. I am not being sarcastic, I am serious. Cole has the physical ability to dominate the NHL and particularly if he worked in the off-season to enhance his shiftiness and puck-handling; but the mental side of his game is lacking. I sports psychologist potentially could help him learn how to develop the habits of a winner. If next year we see don't see a Cole who shows up at least 70% of the time, a trade would make sense. A $4,000,000 player ought to standout as a force of nature on an NHL team.

If Borer comes through, if we resign the players we have, if we find two more fast, aggressive, punk-handling defensemen to go with those players, and if Cam Ward learns to stop breakaways, and if the owners break out the checkbook to give JR the resources to retain the players we have and to obtain the three players we need, the inexcusable collapse over these past four games will be far less painful, if not forgotten.

I would really love a shut down defenseman that will lay people out and stop some of the top players in the league. We have Corvo who can pinch in and join the offense and play on the power play.

Yeah, please explain why you want to trade Ward.

Certainly.

We can't risk a streaky goalie. He was young in the playoffs, but did fine then. We need a goalie who can back him up who can teach him. He's confident, that's good. But i just thing maybe he's a bit too confident: he got so much praise after 2006, maybe the praise has given him a giant head. Now maybe not trade him, but i'm saying send him to the minors or something for a minor stint. That way, he'll know we mean business and he needs to sharpen up. Grahame was sent down by tampa and became better with them, then worse with us... But I'm saying maybe Wardo needs a shakeup.

Now I think we should've kept Gerber and even if he became backup, we'd have a sturdy backbone for those games Cam is shaky in. So I'm sorry I said "trade Cam", but either give him a stint, tell him to sharpen up his skills and be less streaky, or trade him for someone less streaky. I know it's something all goalies go through, just seems Cam has been a lot streaky. I'd hate to see Cam go, but we can't risk losing games due to easily-stoppable goals. ^_^B)

Certainly.

We can't risk a streaky goalie. He was young in the playoffs, but did fine then. We need a goalie who can back him up who can teach him. He's confident, that's good. But i just thing maybe he's a bit too confident: he got so much praise after 2006, maybe the praise has given him a giant head. Now maybe not trade him, but i'm saying send him to the minors or something for a minor stint. That way, he'll know we mean business and he needs to sharpen up. Grahame was sent down by tampa and became better with them, then worse with us... But I'm saying maybe Wardo needs a shakeup.

Now I think we should've kept Gerber and even if he became backup, we'd have a sturdy backbone for those games Cam is shaky in. So I'm sorry I said "trade Cam", but either give him a stint, tell him to sharpen up his skills and be less streaky, or trade him for someone less streaky. I know it's something all goalies go through, just seems Cam has been a lot streaky. I'd hate to see Cam go, but we can't risk losing games due to easily-stoppable goals. ^_^B)

I saw Marty Brodeur give up a soft goal that I was in shock he let in today. The Devs should trade him ;)

Remember Cam is still young at 24, he will get better and his play will improve. He will get the endurance to play longer streaks of games because this last one was obviously too long for him right now. He just needs a little help on tweaking a few of his problems and once he gets a better defense Cam will become more solid for us.

I saw Marty Brodeur give up a soft goal that I was in shock he let in today. The Devs should trade him ;)

Remember Cam is still young at 24, he will get better and his play will improve. He will get the endurance to play longer streaks of games because this last one was obviously too long for him right now. He just needs a little help on tweaking a few of his problems and once he gets a better defense Cam will become more solid for us.

Also, if I remember correctly, Dallas fans have been begging for Marty Turco's head on a platter for years because of his tendency to choke during the playoffs. In fact, a portion of the fans blame him solely for the Round 1 loss against the Avs in 03-04. As a Turco fan, I thought I'd never hear the end of it. At the end of every season, the fans want him axed. Maybe they'll dismiss him and we can pick him up. :lol:

I kid. I think Cam should do a conditioning stint as well. Give him a few more rounds before trading him off. A little seasoning might do him good.

I think at the end of every season, almost every team (except for the winner, and sometimes even then) calls for the goalie's head. It wouldn't be hockey if fans didn't want to burn their goalie at the stake.

Forslund stated his three most pressing needs for the Hurricanes this offseason:

1. Fix the defense. Hedican is most likely gone. Don't know about Wesley, but he might be done as well. We have a glut of forwards (if they can stay on the ice). Expect the Canes to go after another defenseman. Gleason is a RFA, so he's not going anywhere.

2. Get bigger and tougher. We have a bunch of midgets running around out there. That does not bode well for UFAs like Aucoin and Bayda. the one exception to the rule is Samsonov. Forslund said that off all the season's acquisitions, he's the one that needs to be signed first this offseason. BTW - I didn't know that he played down the stretch with a shoulder injury.

3. Bring in a veteran goaltender to mentor and possibly push Cam for PT.

Bottom line, the RFAs are not going anywhere. Eaves, Ruutu, Gleason will all be back. They don't hold much leverage, and should be relatively signable. Ruutu has that physicality that only Walker and Staal bring to the table in the top 9. I know that JR said before that Cole would not be traded, but if we can get a top-2 defenseman for him, we're going to do it. He's not THAT valuable.

Wesley, Hedican, or Brid'Amour

Wesley and Hedican both hang up the skates. Brindy will be back!

HEAD INJURY:

Tanabe or Cullen

Tanabe gone. Cullen Back.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS:

Samsonov, Letowski, Aucoin, Bayda, Hedican, Wesley, Brookbank, and Grahame?

Samsonov, Letowski, and Bayda return. Letowski starting making a move at the end and we will see what he offers next year. May trade him early on if nothing develops.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS:

LaRose, Ruutu, Eaves, Gleason, Seidenberg, and Conboy?

LaRose, Gleason, and Seidenberg will stay. We need the defense and Gleason is a tough guy. Seidenberg can always be counted on when the chips are down regardless of injury.

GAME HAS PASSED THEM??

Ward, Cole

Ward will stay and work harder. Cole will be here at least one more year. He has a No-Trade clause...(I think.)

Will we get back Commodore, Stillman, Weight, or Recchi (all are UFAs)?

Commie...No, Stillman...yes, Weight...No, Recchi...No

What I find hilarious is that after so many rumors, and being wrong so many times, and JR saying year after year that Cole isn't going anywhere, the trade Cole posts are still here. :lol:

I'd be curious to see if JR feels the same way after the game Cole played Friday night.

I'd be curious to see if JR feels the same way after the game Cole played Friday night.

If JR traded a player every time they had a bad game, or two, or ten for that matter, we wouldn't have the same line up that we started the year with.

Everyone says we have seen the last of Grahame, but your just saying that because most of you don't like him. I Would say that there is a fair chance of him resigning at the same or slightly less price.

But if he doesnt stay, id like to see us get Leighton Back or try for Hedberg

we do not like him becuase he cant stop a beachball.

sorry but he is not good.

If JR traded a player every time they had a bad game, or two, or ten for that matter, we wouldn't have the same line up that we started the year with.

I wish he only had ten lackluster games this year...and the April 4 game was a not good one to lay an egg in. I think Cole is the most over valued player around the NHL on our roster. If we can get a tough skilled young DMan in return for him I would hope that JR pulls the trigger. Especially since he will be a UFA after next season.

If Michael Leighton is ever to be a goaltender on the NHL level, next year will likely be the last opportunity he'll get. Most people seem to think that he is in the AHL due to inexperience, but his 34 games-played for the Chicago Blackhawks in the '03-'04 season show otherwise. He's in the AHL because he hasn't been able to perform at a NHL level in the past for any of the numerous teams he has been a part of. While I'd love to think that he'll finally step up and translate his play from the AHL into the NHL, history says that isn't likely to happen and I wouldn't really feel anymore comfortable with him as the back-up than Grahame. I think our answer at goaltender is in free agency.

I'd love to see what the Columbus Blue Jackets do this offseason. If they decide to hand over the back-up position to one of their three youngsters, Fredrik Norrena may be on the market and could likely be acquired cheaply.