The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Hammy-ch1

Have we seen the last of....

Kaberle (and Wallin) both have contracts through 2009-2010. So unless we buy them out or put them on waivers...

The only things that need to be changed is back up goalie and a few defense people to help out Hedican and Wesley...if they don't retire. Everything else needs to stay the same. And...I really hate to say this...but I think a "C" needs to go on the Staal jersey. I love Brind'Amour and everything, but the team seemed to pick it up once Staal had to take charge.

EDIT: Oh yeah...and Kaberle does need to go. He is the biggest wuss of a defenseman I've ever seen.

I expect to see Aucoin, Bayda, Cullen, Eaves, Gleason, LaRose, Letowski, Samsonov, and Ward back next season.

I'm pretty much certain that Hedican and Wesley will retire, and I wouldn't be too surprised or disappointed if Brind'Amour decided to call it a career. If Laviolette is still the coach next season, there won't be any place for either Brookbank or Conboy on the Hurricanes' roster as much as I hate to say it. I believe the surplus at forwards will spell the end of Ruutu's tenure here, unless he decides to take a discount which would appear to be out of the question due to his agent's reputation. Seidenberg and Tanabe brought very little to the table in the first place, regardless of injuries, and could easily be replaced through free agency or prospects.

I could see Cole used as trade-bait to improve the defense.

brind'amour will be back his leadership is very valuable not to mention the gritty goals he scores in front of the net. erik cole is a twenty goal scorer and would be hard to find a player that fits in as well as he does. i think u r right about hedican , but i think wesley will return

Everyone says we have seen the last of Grahame, but your just saying that because most of you don't like him. I Would say that there is a fair chance of him resigning at the same or slightly less price.

But if he doesnt stay, id like to see us get Leighton Back or try for Hedberg

Didn't Rutherford say that we needed to find a more suitable backup that will challenge Ward? Or maybe it was Tripp.....

Didn't Rutherford say that we needed to find a more suitable backup that will challenge Ward? Or maybe it was Tripp.....

JR and Tripp -- now there's a gap. I'm interested in what JR says. I'm entertained by what Tripp says. I don't think I would ever see those two names in the same sentence. :lol:

Actually John Forslund pointed that out on his final take at the end of the season interview. He was pretty direct in saying Grahame is not the answer and perhaps we need some veteran goaltending to help share the load. Although, seeing Leighton as a rising star now, I don't see why we can't bring him up now and let Grahame head on his merry way.

After what I saw last night, I'd love to see Curtis Joseph in Carolina next year. Unlikely to happen, but he is exactly the type of player this team needs behind Ward.

They have a trio of youngsters, I would think they would expect one of those three to step up and be Kiprusoff's back-up. If there is any possibility that he would want to be in Carolina, I think he is the guy Rutherford should focus all of his attention on.

Curtis Joseph is a proven #1 goaltender, both in the regular season and in the playoffs, while Michael Leighton has been a solid AHLer his entire career. There is a wide margin between those two.

What JustJoe said. Cujo is a proven #1 and he is experienced. Leighton has never put the numbers up in the NHL that he has in the AHL which is why he has bounced from NHL team to NHL team. Cam is still learning and maturing and it wouldn't hurt to have a veteran back there to help him out with his growing pains.

And I think the reason why we didn't jump on gettign CuJo at the deadline was because of the fact he wanted $2+ mil, I don't think we are going to pay that much for a backup who probably won't play that many games and it's not like he will want less next season, especially with how well he has done in Calgary this year.

What JustJoe said. Cujo is a proven #1 and he is experienced. Leighton has never put the numbers up in the NHL that he has in the AHL which is why he has bounced from NHL team to NHL team. Cam is still learning and maturing and it wouldn't hurt to have a veteran back there to help him out with his growing pains.

I think I need to clear up a few things on Leighton here regarding why he has "bounced from nhl team to nhl team". In his first year in the nhl he played 8 games for the hawks, posting a 2.82 gaa and a .913 sv%. Now for a rookie goalie that ain't bad. The next year he played 35 games and saw his numbers drop off a bit to a 2.99gaa and a .900 sv%. Still, not bad for a young goalie getting his first shot at a heavier workload. During the lockout he played the whole year for Norfolk and looked real good but he didn't fit into Chicago's plans so they traded him to Buffalo. He never got a shot to play with the big team being stuck behind Biron and Miller. Then when Buffalo signed on to share their affiliate with the Florida Panthers he got caught up in the numbers and was let go. Nothing against him but he wasn't going to outplay Biron or Miller and their were older, more experienced goalies to handle things in Rochester. So he signed with the ducks as a free agent. Very first time the ducks tried to call him up from Portland he gets claimed by Nashville. Tomas Vokoun was injured at the time so their goaltending tandem was Chris Mason, who had not yet emerged as a solid goalie, and Pekka Rinne. The predators wanted a better option than Rinne. He stayed with the team for over a month and only got one game. The flyers then claimed him when he was sent down with the return of Vokoun. He got a few starts with them but didn't play well and it was back to the waiver wire where the Canadiens picked him up since Huet was struggling with injuries. He never dressed a single game for them and they'd have let him walk that summer if we hadn't traded for him.

So I guess my point of all this is to just show what he's been through. It's really quite incredible to see a young goalie who was once fairly well regarded being bounced around like this. He was good with Chicago, good enough that teams wanted him but then when he was on new teams he wasn't given a shot to stick. I think it's unfair to look at his stats with Philly and Nashville. Who can play their best hockey when they're being shipped all around the league playing spot duty? His numbers as a young goalie with Chicago look promising. If he can get back to that, and I think he can based on his performance over the course of an entire year with Albany, I feel he can be a serviceable backup. No, he won't challenge Ward but I don't personally think that's what Ward or the team needs. We just need a guy who can be reliable in nets, the Anti-Grahame.

Leighton also had one of the best defenses in the AHL in front of him in Albany, which probably helped quite a bit. He won't have that same luxury at the NHL level. I just can't help but be skeptical about the guy. If he has as much promise as some seem to think he does, I wouldn't think we would have been able to acquire him for a seventh-round draft pick last offseason.

After I think about it, I wouldn't be too shocked to see Leighton not retained in the offseason. Various people within the organization have stressed the need for an experienced #2 goaltender, which Leighton is not, and the organization has Manzato, Nastiuk, and Peters ready to take over in Albany. It would only further Staal their development to have any of those three take a back-up role to Leighton.

Leighton and other players like Borer showed tons of promise but when asked why neither of those players were seeing more NHL time, Laviolette said, "If they were ready, they would be here." - during a Q&A session with the coach

Leighton and other players like Borer showed tons of promise but when asked why neither of those players were seeing more NHL time, Laviolette said, "If they were ready, they would be here." - during a Q&A session with the coach

I think I need to clear up a few things on Leighton here regarding why he has "bounced from nhl team to nhl team". In his first year in the nhl he played 8 games for the hawks, posting a 2.82 gaa and a .913 sv%. Now for a rookie goalie that ain't bad. The next year he played 35 games and saw his numbers drop off a bit to a 2.99gaa and a .900 sv%. Still, not bad for a young goalie getting his first shot at a heavier workload. During the lockout he played the whole year for Norfolk and looked real good but he didn't fit into Chicago's plans so they traded him to Buffalo. He never got a shot to play with the big team being stuck behind Biron and Miller. Then when Buffalo signed on to share their affiliate with the Florida Panthers he got caught up in the numbers and was let go. Nothing against him but he wasn't going to outplay Biron or Miller and their were older, more experienced goalies to handle things in Rochester. So he signed with the ducks as a free agent. Very first time the ducks tried to call him up from Portland he gets claimed by Nashville. Tomas Vokoun was injured at the time so their goaltending tandem was Chris Mason, who had not yet emerged as a solid goalie, and Pekka Rinne. The predators wanted a better option than Rinne. He stayed with the team for over a month and only got one game. The flyers then claimed him when he was sent down with the return of Vokoun. He got a few starts with them but didn't play well and it was back to the waiver wire where the Canadiens picked him up since Huet was struggling with injuries. He never dressed a single game for them and they'd have let him walk that summer if we hadn't traded for him.

So I guess my point of all this is to just show what he's been through. It's really quite incredible to see a young goalie who was once fairly well regarded being bounced around like this. He was good with Chicago, good enough that teams wanted him but then when he was on new teams he wasn't given a shot to stick. I think it's unfair to look at his stats with Philly and Nashville. Who can play their best hockey when they're being shipped all around the league playing spot duty? His numbers as a young goalie with Chicago look promising. If he can get back to that, and I think he can based on his performance over the course of an entire year with Albany, I feel he can be a serviceable backup. No, he won't challenge Ward but I don't personally think that's what Ward or the team needs. We just need a guy who can be reliable in nets, the Anti-Grahame.

This is a very interesting post and adds some excellent perspective. Look at all of the "chances" given to Cam Ward. The guy posts frankly awful numbers for the duration of two full seasons as the starter seeing the vast majority of minutes for those YEARS (not a few games) and he is "young", "still developing", "on schedule" to be the next Roy. But a guy like Leighton, who played as well as Ward during the 2 games he was here, and wins best goalie in the AHL, and has never really been given a shot, is "unproven". There are several star goalies that kicked around and then finally got a shot and became solid starters.

The quote from Laviollette that "if they were ready they'd be here" may not appy in this case. I think that they sent Leighton down to send a message to Cam, "hey, relax, you are our man, we're not looking to replace you. Here, look, we'll bring back Graham, you know he's not going to play much. Now settle down and play." That and to get Leighton some work.

And it worked. Cam played much better after that. Factors besides "readiness" play a role, if not why is Kaberle not in the AHL? Plus, if our staff was so perfect about knowing and developing talent, Andrew Ladd should have been pushing Eric Staal for best player on the team (#4 pick).

I'm not saying that Leighton is the guy, since we unfortunately are already starting an unproven young goalie (yes, except for the Conn Smythe, but it's been two years), so we really could use a "proven" backup. But I agree that Leighton has never really had a shot in the NHL, and dominating the AHL does mean something. He might end up being a pretty good NHL goalie.

Edit: Also, I wonder if his AHL domination may give him some trade value?

Maybe we should start getting back on topic...

I think if we have seen the last of anyone, it's probably Hedican. Wesley wants another cup, so he'll keep going. I figure, though, that even when Brindy is back next season and if still in shape and all, his play will lag a lot compared to the rest of our team, and if we do (or if we don't) win the cup next year, he'll hang up the skates after that. I saw they'll both go until we get another cup.

Now I talk about Cole. Why should we trade him? He was rough in November and December, but heck, our whole team was. When our team gained new life, so did he. Have we seen the last of him? No, we've only seen the beginning.

Now leads to the topic of goalies. Have we seen the last of Cam? No, we have just seen his roughness. He needs shapened up, taught some new tricks. However, what he needs is an old dog to teach him the new tricks. Example one: We brought in Grahame, who ain't taught Cam dog mess. THE END there.

Now, agree or disagree, it's true. Admit it... our coaches and JR are so worried about forwards and defensemen that we almost forget about Cam's play. True, agreed? :rolleyes:

Leighton also had one of the best defenses in the AHL in front of him in Albany

Are you serious? Leighton was facing a ton of shots every night and lots of times getting no help at all from his defense. With all the injuries and call-ups Albany iced a patchwork defense a lot of nights and Leighton kept them winning.

Just looked it up to confirm, he faced the most shots of any goalie in the ahl. Even Pekka Rinne who played 7 more games faced 34 less shots.

Just looked it up to confirm, he faced the most shots of any goalie in the ahl. Even Pekka Rinne who played 7 more games faced 34 less shots.

Good stat. I think the guy could and should fill in for Crackers.

... though, that even when Brindy is back next season and if still in shape and all, his play will lag a lot compared to the rest of our team, ...

DUDE!! Brindy was doing 50lb dumbell curls with his knee up and iced the day after the sugery (from Luke's blog) and someone else mentioned seeing him on the stationary bike at a local rehab center and I think the phrase used was "about to drive the bike off the stand" - I have no doubt that Brindy will be back in top form by next year... my bet is that he'll be skating again on a regular basis by the time June rolls around (if not already)... hmmm... might have to skive off work for some stick and puck over at the RecZone a few days! or at the very latest I'll be there alot in June when the kids are in hockey camp

Here's my two cents worth:

Wesley...HOPEFULLY NOT

Hedican...PROBABLY

Brid'Amour..NOPE, HE'LL BE BACK

HEAD INJURY:

Tanabe...HOPEFULLY

Cullen..HOPEFULLY NOT

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS:

Samsonov..HOPEFULLY NOT

Letowski..MINORS

Aucoin..MINORS?

Bayda..MINORS

Hedican...SEE ABOVE

Wesley...SEE ABOVE

Brookbank...HOPEFULLY NOT

Grahame..CANT' GET RID OF HIM FAST ENOUGH IMHO

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS:

LaRose...HOPEFULLY NOT

Ruutu...HOPEFULLY NOT

Eaves...NOT SURE ABOUT HIM

Gleason...HOPEFULLY NOT

Seidenberg...HOPEFULLY NOT

Conboy...MINORS

GAME HAS PASSED THEM??

Ward...DOUBTFUL, HE IS STILL A KID

Cole...DOUBTFUL

Will we get back

Commodore...LIKED HIM A LOT, BUT DIDN'T PLAY SO HOT LAST YEAR

Stillman...STILLER...YEAH, A VET...BUT UNSURE

Weight...MAYBE

Recchi...NOT SO SURE ABOUT HIM ANYMORE

Here's a good place to track contracts in the league: http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CAR' target="_blank">nhlnumbers.com[/post]