The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Hammy-ch1

Have we seen the last of....

Well, talking about goalie backups and who would challenge Cam, I say let's for Ty Conklin. He only made $500,000 this last year and is a UFA. Sure, the Pens will probably try to keep him but let's give him JG's salary for one year and see what we can get out of him.

He was on fire and then Fleury came back and took back over. Now he is sitting.

Just my .02

Now I talk about Cole. Why should we trade him? He was rough in November and December, but heck, our whole team was. When our team gained new life, so did he. Have we seen the last of him? No, we've only seen the beginning.

Cole always gives us fits when it comes to re-signing him, he could very well leave after next season and we'd get nothing for it. It makes more sense to move him now for our number one need, a top pairing defenseman. We have depth at forward, you deal from a position of strength. He's the guy that would attract the most attention around the league minus Staal who isn't going to be traded obviously. Cole's value to this team is worth more in a trade. Unless he can be extended this summer I think he's moved.

Cole always gives us fits when it comes to re-signing him, he could very well leave after next season and we'd get nothing for it. It makes more sense to move him now for our number one need, a top pairing defenseman. We have depth at forward, you deal from a position of strength. He's the guy that would attract the most attention around the league minus Staal who isn't going to be traded obviously. Cole's value to this team is worth more in a trade. Unless he can be extended this summer I think he's moved.

what d-men did you have in mind?

Leighton and other players like Borer showed tons of promise but when asked why neither of those players were seeing more NHL time, Laviolette said, "If they were ready, they would be here." - during a Q&A session with the coach

As much as I love Lavi and honestly think that he does know more than all of us here, there are times where he completely throws me for a loop. Ok, so if they were ready, they would be here. But we've seen that sometimes Lavi and the management have rushed back people who weren't ready because they thought they should be here and it would be the right thing to do. Look how that works out at any point in the season. I'd like to see Leighton get a chance. After watching him during the pre-season and watching him throughout the year, he's better than Grahame, the team seems to trust him enough to play well in front of him (or at least attempt to play well), and he's going to be easier and cheaper to sign than some veteran goaltenders. We scored Grahame because he was a vet who we thought could back up Cam well. Grahame thought that with enough time he'd get to be a starter again. I don't want to chance that mentality again. Unless we find a vet who is perfectly ok being number two, why not give Leighton a chance to sharpen his teeth here in the NHL?

Well, talking about goalie backups and who would challenge Cam, I say let's for Ty Conklin. He only made $500,000 this last year and is a UFA. Sure, the Pens will probably try to keep him but let's give him JG's salary for one year and see what we can get out of him.

He was on fire and then Fleury came back and took back over. Now he is sitting.

Just my .02

You know, as much as I laugh every time I hear Conklin's name due to our last cup run and the wonders of Knob Hockey, I think this isn't such a bad idea. He was doing really well and could provide the stability we need in goal if Cam needs a rest. To see the two of them work in tandem would be a nice change. Give Cam the rest and development he needs and give Conklin the time he needs to shine like he was doing before Fleury. He had some great numbers! If he were to continue to do well for us, he could eventually become very good trade bait. But I'm skipping way too far ahead.

But kudos on the idea. I like it!

what d-men did you have in mind?

3 guys that interest me are Kevin Bieksa out of Vancouver and then Shea Weber and Ryan Suter out of Nashville. Both teams struggle to score goals so are in need of forwards and both are in the west so we wouldn't have to face Cole as much during the regular season should we trade him. Bieksa is already established and could step in and make an impact right now. Weber could do just about the same and he's younger. He can put up a lot of goals, too. Suter would also be a nice addition but I'd easily take the other two over him. There were some rumblings this season about a trade involving the canes and predators but the one name I heard mentioned was Kevin Klein but we can do much better if we move Cole. Could probably get Bieksa straight up, Weber would likely cost us something extra since he's so young and has such high upside. A pick or prospect.

Unless we find a vet who is perfectly ok being number two, why not give Leighton a chance to sharpen his teeth here in the NHL?

I'm torn on this one too. Leighton may well be able to do the job, but I would think he would have to have enough ice time to keep improving. That is going to be hard on the bench. If Leighton plays well, then he earns more time. This happens and Cam goes into a funk and we need Dr. Phil to do an intervention. I'll admit, I don't know much about goalies and their psychological needs.

Leighton may be able to push Cam and in turn, his play may improve. A veteran goalie who was happy to be a backup to serve as a surrogate friend/coach may be a better option. I'm glad we have J.R. and Ronnie Franchise to make this decision and not me.

It's like what came first, the chicken or the egg?

Can I ask why so many people say they hope Wesley and Bret retire? You should never hope anyone on your team retires, whether you like them or not. Some people don't like Grahame, so should we hope something bad happens to him so he'll retire?!?!?! :huh::blink:

Can I ask why so many people say they hope Wesley and Bret retire? You should never hope anyone on your team retires, whether you like them or not. Some people don't like Grahame, so should we hope something bad happens to him so he'll retire?!?!?! :huh::blink:

Retiring isnt like wishing something bad on someone. Most people look at retirement as a gracious and respectful way to end a full career on the player's own terms. I think maybe you just misunderstood some folks, its not personal.

Retiring isnt like wishing something bad on someone. Most people look at retirement as a gracious and respectful way to end a full career on the player's own terms. I think maybe you just misunderstood some folks, its not personal.

I know that, it just seemed some people were saying things (maybe not in this thread, but in some) like "Wesley should retire" and "Hope he retires" and I saw someone even say "I really hope he doesn't come back since we need new life"... things like that. :rolleyes:

I'd gladly take Wesley back, but Hedican should hang them up. His body isn't holding up so well and it'd be better for him to end on his own terms rather than suffer a career ending injury or being forced out of the league like LeClair was.