The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
philsmith

Based in Reality, what can be done about Kaberle

Trading him in a package with a forward or something's the only way we could get rid of him.

At this point I'd be happy enough to trade him for "future considerations" though.

Kaberle's contract is too big for what he brings.

Adding him to the package with a forward will bring a lesser return vs if we tried to simply trade forward (cough Cole, cough) alone.

Nobody will take Kaberle for "future considerations" either. In the age of salary cap he is simply not worth money he is paid. League GMs will test their gag reflexes when they hear suggestions above.

Bottom line, we can only hope he'll continue to improve next year and the new surgery he had will help as well.

Unfortunately, we stuck with Kaberle and Wallin until their contracts end.

Kaberle's contract is too big for what he brings.

Adding him to the package with a forward will bring as a lesser return just if we tried to simply trade that forward (cough Cole, cough) alone.

Nobody will take Kaberle for "future considerations" either. In the age of salary cap he is simply not worth money he is paid. League GMs will test their gag reflexes when they hear suggestions above.

Bottom line, we can only hope he'll continue to improve next year and the new surgery he had will help as well.

Unfortunately, we stuck with Kaberle and Wallin until their contracts end.

Kaberle by himself yes but if we package him with Cole then we free up over $6mil. Being "stuck" with Wallin isn't such a big thing because his contract is smaller ($1.75mil compared to Frankies $2.2mil).

Kaberle by himself yes but if we package him with Cole then we free up over $6mil. Being "stuck" with Wallin isn't such a big thing because his contract is smaller ($1.75mil compared to Frankies $2.2mil).

Right but as it was pointed out if you package him you reduce the return that you would normally get.

Another possibility is trading him for someone else's problem. I don't know someone off the top of my head but its possible there is another team with an underperforming player with a similar contract that they are looking to unload. In that case, especially if the guy plays another possition, you can sometimes do something like trade your guy who needs a change of scenery for their guy. The problem with that kind of deal is you don't fix your problems you just change them.

In the end he was better down the stretch but not good enough to make him tradeable. I think the canes are going to be stuck with him and won't send him to the minors. In miy mind without the exeedingly unlikely case of JR finding a sucker to unload him on, the best case senario is everyone else will step up and he can watch from the press box as the 7th defenseman.

In my mind without the exceedingly unlikely case of JR finding a sucker to unload him on, the best case scenario is everyone else will step up and he can watch from the press box as the 7th defenseman.

We can only hope PT Barnum was right. B)

Agreed on the press box. That seems to be a position where Frank won't have to take a hit. But Lavi likes to have 7 active Dmen. Even so, I still like notion of #5 in the press box. :rolleyes:

We can only hope PT Barnum was right. B)

Agreed on the press box. That seems to be a position where Frank won't have to take a hit. But Lavi likes to have 7 active Dmen. Even so, I still like notion of #5 in the press box. :rolleyes:

I hate to always bash Kabs because he really seems to be a nice person, but the reality is he is terrified of being hit so he makes stupid passes to avoid it along with some other dumb moves. He has really cost us some precious defensive mistakes (of course he is not the only one) but does it consistantly. I really wish we could trade him, but the reality of that is minimal. It would be worth taking a loss. I really doubt this latest surgery will make any difference. It seems that several players in the NHL that have had shoulder surgeries don't come back well. Of course any surgery will probably do that, shoulders to me seem to be the worst. Unfortunatley we can't bench or scratch him due to eventually wanting to get a good trade out of him, it's a shame JR's crystal ball was out of order the day he signed Kabs contract.

Do a quick switch with Toronto and get Thomas in return, and hopefully nobody will notice? ;)

Well...it is the Toronto management so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't :lol:

I'm figuring something along the lines of Jeff O'Neill will happen. He'll finish out his contract and if we don't resign him, there is a good possibility that no one else will sign him and he'll be floating in the wind. I don't know what else there is to do. Although, management keeps him around so there has to be some reason in their minds for him to be here. We just don't know what that reason is. Keeping him isn't effective. Trading him isn't effective. Perhaps he'll decide to go play internationally?

I'm figuring something along the lines of Jeff O'Neill will happen. He'll finish out his contract and if we don't resign him, there is a good possibility that no one else will sign him and he'll be floating in the wind. I don't know what else there is to do. Although, management keeps him around so there has to be some reason in their minds for him to be here. We just don't know what that reason is. Keeping him isn't effective. Trading him isn't effective. Perhaps he'll decide to go play internationally?

The reason management keeps him around is because he has 2 more years left on his contract. He doesn't make enough and he isn't bad enough to consider buying him out. Some of that money would still count against the cap. Our only real hope is that the trend of overpaying ufa defensemen continues this summer and a team out there would be willing to take him on because they missed out. $2.2 isn't that bad when you consider what guys like Cory Sarich and Kim Johnsson are making. He could possibly be moved for a pick, mid-level prospect or even futures. We just need to find a team desperate enough to take a chance on him.

During this year I was all about getting rid of Kaberle.

I just felt he wasn't physical at ALL and was scared to get hit.

Points for a defenseman he ranks second on the team with 22 points behind Joe Corvo

P/M for a defenseman he is second to last with a -4 only beating Wallin.

He is a BEAST at stick handling though.

I think Kaberle really needs to BULK up and starting hitting.

I would rather get rid of Wallin then Kaberle only way he is leaving is if Cole leaves with him.

I still think you will see him packaged with one of our 10 top-9 forwards in a salary dump type move. Sure you would get a little less, but if the other forward were say Erik Cole, you would still get plenty in return. Plus, that would clear 6.2 mil in cap space and move one potential 09 UFA off the books.

I like Cole, but I also think he's easily our most realistic tradeable commodity right now.

If you trade him, package or not, you are going to get another teams underacheiver with a big contract. Unless they can find a real deal for him, most likely they will have to bit the bullet.

I think we could trade Kaberle on his own. It won't be for much, but I think JR can get it done. Defensemen are going to be the hottest commodity come July 1st and there won't be too many available as most of their current teams will likely resign them. You are going to have teams that are left out in the cold, and you are going to have teams that can't pay the asking price for these defenseman. Kaberle may not be the greatest, but his $2.2 salary isn't all that bad once you see what other defenseman are going to be getting.

Its not completly out of the realm that one of these teams get desperate enough for a defenseman.

Canes are stuck with him, just the Flyers are stuck with Darien Hatcher - whose plays has gotten much better. Kaberl-AHL plays passable NHL hockey paired with Corvo.

Canes are stuck with him, just the Flyers are stuck with Darien Hatcher - whose plays has gotten much better. Kaberl-AHL plays passable NHL hockey paired with Corvo.

True, and I don't get it. The rap on Corvo was his defensive liability. Given that, Kaberle is far from what I think Corvo's partner would look like. Yet, Corvo and Kaberle have played well together. If I were the opposing coach I would bottle Corvo up and take my chances with Kaberle's 75 mph slap shot.

True, and I don't get it. The rap on Corvo was his defensive liability. Given that, Kaberle is far from what I think Corvo's partner would look like. Yet, Corvo and Kaberle have played well together. If I were the opposing coach I would bottle Corvo up and take my chances with Kaberle's 75 mph slap shot.

maybe the rap on Corvo was somewhat undeserved - which is why he wanted out of Ottowa?? I wonder what Corvo could do if he were paired with a real defenseman like Gleason? or, just a thought - playing with Kaberle forced Corvo to pay more attention to defense and actually helped him as far as adding that to his repertoire? honestly, who knows other than the players involved?

In my opinion any true shake up of the blue line sees either Wallin or Kaberle gone, ideally both, along with Hedican retiring. To me changing out at least one of them is a must. Wallin has a NTC. Try to trade Kabele for draft picks or a guy with a 2 way contract, or package him, but if nothing else wave him.

JR talks about getting bigger more physical and adding help on the blueline. Finding some way to jettison Kaberle accomplishes both of these things. If Kabs and Wallin are both still out there next year.....then more of the same to come. But JR will come through.