The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Buzzinator

Your favourite 07-08 Canes moments

The first game we played the Pens at home this year and Wesley shut down Sid Crosby from scoring and seeing Sid the Kid slamming his stick into the boards in frustration over Wesley and oh yes then us winning that game.

Rutuu's first body slam check was PRICELESS.

With less than 1 min 13 seconds left in the game and us behind 2-0 against Toronto and coming back with a tie (after watching half the fans had left thinking we had lost) and then winning in OT.

Watching Staal and Rosie scoring in their penalty shots.

So many more---This is one of those threads that you think about a day later and say "oh oh I have another one to post about".

I like your list!

Ruutu rushing to the RBC and that first check, :wacko:

Corvo's hat trick a close second. :unsure:

The Toronto comeback, and yes, I enjoyed being there, too.

Samsonov's SO goal because it was so rare.

Watching the Rats bring it every night. :D

Ah, I see NOBODY remembers much that was more than 8 weeks ago. There is one guy on this list who BROKE HIS STICK on the hat trick goal a la Roy Hobbs in The Natural. How is Staal's not at the top of the list? Dude had a PENALTY SHOT goal on his, too!! Speaking of awesome goals, I will add my favorites here, in chronological order as choosing from these is like choosing among my children.

• Cullen's power play goal in Montreal. Right at the end of the second period and he ended up on his knees on a great pass from behind the net from Whitney. Matty was SO EXCITED on that one.
  • Chad LaRose beats Luongo top shelf on the breakaway. Brind'Amour with the PERFECT outlet pass.
  • Stiller fakes the dump, suckers Vokoun into coming out, and scores from the red line. How cool was THAT one?
  • Wesley's game-winner against Tampa in November. I was in a motel watching that one and was bouncing off the beds after that one.
  • David Tanabe sneaks out of the box to beat Lundqvist on the breakaway. Seidenberg sent it out of the zone off the boards behind the net, and Jagr just watched the puck as David zoomed right by him. Awesome stuff.
  • Brindy's shootout goal on Biron. Anyone who has not seen this one needs to go find it on YouTube.
  • Ray Whitney ties the Toronto game at 2 with 20 seconds left between a defender's legs... AFTER Stillman picked Poniwhateverhisname's pocket on the empty net opportunity. Kudos to Erik Cole for the perfect pass to the Wizard on this one....
  • ...Then of course Scotty Walker's redirect to win the game in OT.
  • Chad LaRose undresses Boston's Tim Thomas on a penalty shot. The stoic fist pump afterward was great.
  • As mentioned above, Staal BREAKS HIS STICK for the hat trick against Edmonton.
  • Brind'Amour beats Toronto in OT with a PPG. Whitney and Staal ended up with a little 2 on 1, but Ray ended up leaving the puck for the Captain, who slipped in from behind unnoticed.
  • Andrew Ladd's diving across the crease goal (against either Boston or Washington)
  • Sergei Samsonov gets away in OT and beats Marty Brodeur. Good times.
  • Scott Walker redirects Staal's wrister to beat Ryan Miller and the Sabres in OT. You'll be hard pressed to find a more exhilarating goal than this one this season.
  • Joe Corvo cheats up and completes the hat trick against his old Ottawa teammates. More good times.
  • LaRose completes HIS hat trick by making Mike Smith look ridiculous on the breakaway. Not quite the death stare to the crowd, but the resigned fist pump was nice.

This is biased because I like Brindy, but my favorite part of the season for the canes was when JR picked up Samsonov, a player that was considered washed up but had an amazing season.

Although the finish of the game versus Toronto was great, that game as a whole was 58 minutes of suckage. My favorite game of the year was our last one against the Devils. Ruutu made that improbable debut after arriving at the RBC Enter a few minutes before the puck was dropped. His awesome hits, especially the one on Colin White, really set the tone and made him an instant fan favorite. That was such a tight checking, playoff style game with some of the best in-arena atmosphere of the season. Brodeur was great as always, but Ward was able to outduel him once again. Samsonov's overtime winner was one of the most exciting moments of the year for me. The team was really coming together in the wake of losing so many impact guys and I thought that their showing was a good indication of how we'd be as a playoff team and one to be reckoned with. Sadly, we never got a chance to see whether or not that was the case. The last game against Ottawa was another easy choice for game of the year after the big trade and with such a dominant team coming in a bit vulnerable. Seeing Mike and Cory was awesome and beating the tar out of the Sens by way of the ex-Sens was so good you couldn't have scripted it any better. Corvo's awesome move to cap off his hat trick was superb.

Ah, I see NOBODY remembers much that was more than 8 weeks ago. There is one guy on this list who BROKE HIS STICK on the hat trick goal a la Roy Hobbs in The Natural. How is Staal's not at the top of the list? Dude had a PENALTY SHOT goal on his, too!! Speaking of awesome goals, I will add my favorites here, in chronological order as choosing from these is like choosing among my children.
  • Cullen's power play goal in Montreal. Right at the end of the second period and he ended up on his knees on a great pass from behind the net from Whitney. Matty was SO EXCITED on that one.

• Chad LaRose beats Luongo top shelf on the breakaway. Brind'Amour with the PERFECT outlet pass.
Stiller fakes the dump, suckers Vokoun into coming out, and scores from the red line. How cool was THAT one?Wesley's game-winner against Tampa in November. I was in a motel watching that one and was bouncing off the beds after that one.David Tanabe sneaks out of the box to beat Lundqvist on the breakaway. Seidenberg sent it out of the zone off the boards behind the net, and Jagr just watched the puck as David zoomed right by him. Awesome stuff.Brindy's shootout goal on Biron. Anyone who has not seen this one needs to go find it on YouTube.Ray Whitney ties the Toronto game at 2 with 20 seconds left between a defender's legs... AFTER Stillman picked Poniwhateverhisname's pocket on the empty net opportunity. Kudos to Erik Cole for the perfect pass to the Wizard on this one.......Then of course Scotty Walker's redirect to win the game in OT.Chad LaRose undresses Boston's Tim Thomas on a penalty shot. The stoic fist pump afterward was great.As mentioned above, Staal BREAKS HIS STICK for the hat trick against Edmonton.Brind'Amour beats Toronto in OT with a PPG. Whitney and Staal ended up with a little 2 on 1, but Ray ended up leaving the puck for the Captain, who slipped in from behind unnoticed.Andrew Ladd's diving across the crease goal (against either Boston or Washington)Sergei Samsonov gets away in OT and beats Marty Brodeur. Good times.Scott Walker redirects Staal's wrister to beat Ryan Miller and the Sabres in OT. You'll be hard pressed to find a more exhilarating goal than this one this season.Joe Corvo cheats up and completes the hat trick against his old Ottawa teammates. More good times.LaRose completes HIS hat trick by making Mike Smith look ridiculous on the breakaway. Not quite the death stare to the crowd, but the resigned fist pump was nice.

Great calls here, the faces on the players after were just priceless.

Stiller fakes the dump, suckers Vokoun into coming out, and scores from the red line. How cool was THAT one?Wesley's game-winner against Tampa in November. I was in a motel watching that one and was bouncing off the beds after that one.David Tanabe sneaks out of the box to beat Lundqvist on the breakaway. Seidenberg sent it out of the zone off the boards behind the net, and Jagr just watched the puck as David zoomed right by him. Awesome stuff.Brindy's shootout goal on Biron. Anyone who has not seen this one needs to go find it on YouTube.Ray Whitney ties the Toronto game at 2 with 20 seconds left between a defender's legs... AFTER Stillman picked Poniwhateverhisname's pocket on the empty net opportunity. Kudos to Erik Cole for the perfect pass to the Wizard on this one.......Then of course Scotty Walker's redirect to win the game in OT.Chad LaRose undresses Boston's Tim Thomas on a penalty shot. The stoic fist pump afterward was great.As mentioned above, Staal BREAKS HIS STICK for the hat trick against Edmonton.Brind'Amour beats Toronto in OT with a PPG. Whitney and Staal ended up with a little 2 on 1, but Ray ended up leaving the puck for the Captain, who slipped in from behind unnoticed.Andrew Ladd's diving across the crease goal (against either Boston or Washington)Sergei Samsonov gets away in OT and beats Marty Brodeur. Good times.Scott Walker redirects Staal's wrister to beat Ryan Miller and the Sabres in OT. You'll be hard pressed to find a more exhilarating goal than this one this season.Joe Corvo cheats up and completes the hat trick against his old Ottawa teammates. More good times.LaRose completes HIS hat trick by making Mike Smith look ridiculous on the breakaway. Not quite the death stare to the crowd, but the resigned fist pump was nice.

Great calls here, the faces on the players after were just priceless.

[*]David Tanabe sneaks out of the box to beat Lundqvist on the breakaway. Seidenberg sent it out of the zone off the boards behind the net, and Jagr just

[*]Andrew Ladd's diving across the crease goal (against either Boston or Washington)

I remember both of these. Very good moments.

That Ladd goal will always be a top moment for me...I don't think anyone expected him to be able to actually get the puck into the net as he was flying threw the air. lol

You have hit on many of mine but I did not see anyone mention Cory Stillman's goal from the blueline when the goalkeeper was cheating thinking he was going to dump it in but slapped it in instead. My favorite Hattie was Chad's, like you said bobody saw it coming. We stayed till the bitter end of every game (and I even work 3rd shift) , and if we hadn't we would have missed a few Hat Tricks and amazing comebacks (TB and Toronto)

(Woops, you beat me to it tarheel mike)

Certainly Corvo's hat trick is right up there near the top for me, and that was certainly the most fun game. My kids went on the ice afterwards, and they gave out the Cam figures that day.

Another good one not mentioned was the OT win over the Sabres. I remember running out of that thrilling game right after the final score (along with many others) to catch the rest of the UNC win over Duke. Sweet night for me and my friend!!!

Corvo against Gerber was classic. The first hat trick I got to see in person, great seats, I will remember it for a long time! Especially since the other Canes-Ottawa game I went to this season resulted in us losing 6-1.

Corvo against Gerber was classic. The first hat trick I got to see in person, great seats, I will remember it for a long time! Especially since the other Canes-Ottawa game I went to this season resulted in us losing 6-1.

It was 6-0.....I was "lucky" enough to be there <_<

I actually remember that game because I went to the Sens side for warm-ups and said something about wanting to see Heatley, Fisher and Spezza score....I guess I forgot to mention I also wanted some Canes to score as well.

Of the 20 games I went to my two favorites were the comeback win over Toronto and the win over Ottawa with Corvo and Eaves scoring. :D

My least favorites were the 3-SHG game against the Isles and the closer against Florida. :o