The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ncz82

Canes claim Samsonov

JR has always been enamored with him and tried to get him when he was with Boston. I hope I'm wrong but I think this one is all too similar to his fascination with Anson Carter in that neither is the same caliber of player when he really liked them.

We didn't give up anything for him so he's worth the risk.

I'm assuming he'll get a chance on Brind'Amours line. And knowing this is probably his last chance with an NHL team, he may have something to prove.

Yikes...we really are desperate. But I'm sure he'd do much better than LaRose on the first line. However, if this is the transaction we were supposed to be waiting for, it really isn't much. Samsonov , 0 goals in like 23 games for the hawks this season before they let him go.

He sulked in Montreal when he didn't get enough playing time. I don't know, this will either be a genius move cause Samsonov fits well with the system....or we become another victim of trying to rejuvenate his career.

Seems like a gamble to me. Is he a physical player? Who's line will he go on? Not impressed at all with his stats this year, and looks like he is in a downward spiral. If he didn't have the name I wonder if he'd have been at all attractive.

Good luck and we will see.

Does seem like a bit of a chance but I guess being we didn't have to give anyone up to get him, JR figured it was a chance he was willing to take.

I guess we shall see.

He was a distraction in Montreal and has been invisible in Chicago but I sense JR is thinking that the old Samsonov could add value - he has high-end skill.

Specifically, he is a very good skater and puck-handler, the kind that can bring the puck in the zone and contribute on the PP. If he gets his head screwed on right he could be a good $800k gamble.

Anyone seen any word yet on whether we'll be sending one of the guys back to Albany due to this acquisition? My personal preference would be to see Brookbank or Aucoin go back down. Brookbank hasn't really impressed me and I haven't seen much 'enforcing' on his part. As for Aucoin, he's a great player, but just too small for this league.. getting bumped off the puck way too often, which is a shame, but also an unfortunate reality.

As for Samsonov, I'm hoping any change will be a positive one, but I'll reserve my judgement on him until after he's gotten a few games under his belt here and had a chance to gel with some linemates.

Will he be playing tonight? I would love to see how he does with us. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for right now. He may play well under us. So we'll see!

If he gets to Boston in time, they do expect to have him in the lineup tonight and Nolan is out, so I assume he is being sent back to Albany.

Also, Wes is sick so he is out of the lineup tonight.

From what I remember he was the type to puckhandle around 2 or 3 players and shoot it right into the goalies chest or deke himself out. He's got great moves and no shot from what I remember.

Not a big fan of this move at all, I see Anson Carter written all over it. However, I liked that move at the time, and turned out to be wrong, so maybe it'll be the same here. Maybe he can play with roddy and they can develop something.

From what I remember he was the type to puckhandle around 2 or 3 players and shoot it right into the goalies chest or deke himself out. He's got great moves and no shot from what I remember.

That's not far off at all and he benefited greatly by playing on Thornton's line in Boston. However, he does have the moves and dekes to create space and the Canes lack that and it is most notable in gaining entry into the zone on the PP. He's pretty good on shootouts too.

Like a Russian Chad LaRose!! (just kidding all you Rosie fans!!!!) :P

Hmmmm... A selfish player that has been searching for his game ever since he left Boston....

well, for 800k I can stomache it, but would love it if he managed to pick it back up again....

A whitney/Cullen/Samsonov line looks pretty creative to me....

Anyone seen any word yet on whether we'll be sending one of the guys back to Albany due to this acquisition? My personal preference would be to see Brookbank or Aucoin go back down. Brookbank hasn't really impressed me and I haven't seen much 'enforcing' on his part. As for Aucoin, he's a great player, but just too small for this league.. getting bumped off the puck way too often, which is a shame, but also an unfortunate reality.

As for Samsonov, I'm hoping any change will be a positive one, but I'll reserve my judgement on him until after he's gotten a few games under his belt here and had a chance to gel with some linemates.

Not disagreeing with you on Aucoin, but he and Samsonov are almost exactly the same size. In fact, if you believe TSN's stat's, Aucoin is actually bigger (5'9" vs 5'8") and they weigh the same.

I hope people aren't thinking that JR picking up Samsonov was the answer to the Canes problems. Hes gonna be used as experienced forward depth, that's it. He'll get his chance probably with Brind'Amour/Stillman, but if anyone is thinking JR made this move to solve our problems is wrong.

Williams is out for the rest of the season and Cullen for who knows how long. Adams, Letowski, LaRose, and the RiverRats are not the answer. Samsonov has shown that he can pot goals in this league. No doubt his stats since the Monteral days aren't pretty, in fact, their pretty darn awful, but he could possibly be better than what we had.

JR said he would give up a pick or prospect for forward depth, well that won't get you anyone much better than Samsonov. This way we are only paying him $880K and we were able to save our assets/picks/prospects for acquiring that defenseman we really need.

I'm not expecting much out of the dude. If he can come in with a good attitude and not screw up, then I'll be fine with this move.

Brookbank might not look he's doing much but just being on the bench is enough to keep other teams in check. Boston has Lucic who is their enforcer and is tough as nails so I hope Brookbank is on the bench tonight.

Kind of ironic that Sampsonov gets his first game with us tonight against his old team, the Bruins. As for the reference to his questionable locker room attitude, his issues happened in Montreal where its no secret how tough of a place that market can be, especially for a Russian player. Using the Pats as an example (yeah, I know...I know), sometimes the players that have been labeled as "head cases" thrive on a different team (see Randy Moss).

I really liked this guy when he played for the Bruins but since then, he's been real up and down. It'll be interesting to see how this works, Im just glad something was done before it became too late.

What does suprise me a little is that JR was willing to take another chance on a Russian player. We've not had a good track record there.

Brookbank might not look he's doing much but just being on the bench is enough to keep other teams in check. Boston has Lucic who is their enforcer and is tough as nails so I hope Brookbank is on the bench tonight.

Kind of ironic that Sampsonov gets his first game with us tonight against his old team, the Bruins. As for the reference to his questionable locker room attitude, his issues happened in Montreal where its no secret how tough of a place that market can be, especially for a Russian player. Using the Pats as an example (yeah, I know...I know), sometimes the players that have been labeled as "head cases" thrive on a different team (see Randy Moss).

I really liked this guy when he played for the Bruins but since then, he's been real up and down. It'll be interesting to see how this works, Im just glad something was done before it became too late.

What does suprise me a little is that JR was willing to take another chance on a Russian player. We've not had a good track record there.

I'm not expecting much out of the dude. If he can come in with a good attitude and not screw up, then I'll be fine with this move.

Yeah, that's exactly what people said about Anson Carter, and yet he still only managed 1 goal.

Yeah, that's exactly what people said about Anson Carter, and yet he still only managed 1 goal.

This is a completely different situation. We traded for Carter and paid his full salary while he was here. We're only paying part of Samsonov's salary and didn't have to give anything up. We're really not risking much on him...