The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ncz82

Canes claim Samsonov

Yeah, that's exactly what people said about Anson Carter, and yet he still only managed 1 goal.

I never liked the Anson Carter move from the time I heard about it. This one doesn't have me all pissed like the Carter move did.

Brookbank might not look he's doing much but just being on the bench is enough to keep other teams in check. Boston has Lucic who is their enforcer and is tough as nails so I hope Brookbank is on the bench tonight.

Also notice how the team feels a bit more comfortable knowing he's on the bench.

Just b/c Brookbank spends 59 minutes on the bench, don't think he isn't doing his job. He is doing his job just by sitting on the bench. He makes the team more comfortable knowing they have an enforcer on the bench and other teams keep the cheapshots to themselves. Notice how since bringing him up, the other teams aren't taking liberties with our guys.

Yikes...we really are desperate.

I don't know if I would say desperate as much as there not being much to pick from right now. There does not seem to be many "great" pick ups out there unless a trade is made. Even at that teams seem to be asking for more than the other player is worth. I think you can see that in Edmonton wanting Staal, for all I've seen we will not get jack squat back if it ever did happen.

I never liked the Anson Carter move from the time I heard about it. This one doesn't have me all pissed like the Carter move did.

Also notice how the team feels a bit more comfortable knowing he's on the bench.

Just b/c Brookbank spends 59 minutes on the bench, don't think he isn't doing his job. He is doing his job just by sitting on the bench. He makes the team more comfortable knowing they have an enforcer on the bench and other teams keep the cheapshots to themselves. Notice how since bringing him up, the other teams aren't taking liberties with our guys.

I have a rock, that keeps away lions. Now, you may claim that that's foolish, but ever since I've obtained this rock, I've never been attacked by lions ;)

I never understood that one either...seeing him on the ice in a Hurricanes uni just made me ask why?

Not disagreeing with you on Aucoin, but he and Samsonov are almost exactly the same size. In fact, if you believe TSN's stat's, Aucoin is actually bigger (5'9" vs 5'8") and they weigh the same.

Ugh.. didn't even check for that possibility. Here's to hoping that he won't get crunched into the boards constantly or palmed in the face when he's carrying the puck then.

Supposely the lineup for tonight:

FORWARDS

LW C RW

Stillman Brind'Amour LaRose

Whitney Staal Cole

Ladd Letowski Brookbank

Adams Aucoin Hamilton

DEFENSE

Kaberle Seidenberg

Gleason Commodore

Wallin Borer

GOALIES

1. Ward

2. Leighton

Looks like Brookbank is still here, which is good, IMO. I think he will bring a good fight tonight. At least I am expecting one out of him. Also, I would guess that Aucoin will be sidelined if Samsonov makes it to the game. Also, I don't expect much out of him the first few games. He has to get accustom to the way we do things. But, if he is a good skater and puck handler, maybe he will carrier the puck in and stop dumping it every other time. Maybe some good passes are expected too.

Let's all hope! Atlanta is on our tail!!!

Ugh.. didn't even check for that possibility. Here's to hoping that he won't get crunched into the boards constantly or palmed in the face when he's carrying the puck then.

Size of a player is irrelevant in the game anymore. Sure, it helps to be big, but being small is not as much of a hinderance as it used to be. See Ray Whitney, Martin St. Louis(5'6) and others.

Size of a player is irrelevant in the game anymore. Sure, it helps to be big, but being small is not as much of a hinderance as it used to be. See Ray Whitney, Martin St. Louis(5'6) and others.

My statement was based on the fact that those things happen to Aucoin almost every play if he is the one carrying the puck into the zone. For him, I would argue that size really does matter as he gets bumped off the puck on a regular basis, which is something I'm hoping is not the case with Samsonov.

Well apparantly he is creative with the puck but not good moving without it. Also apparantly tough to knock off the puck.

I don't know. I am cautiously optimistic about this one. As a Wings fan I am definitly not against Russians. I got all too "on-board" with the Anson Carter move and that one as someone else said "pissed me off" in the end. He seemed like he was loafing it to spite his trade deal.

We didn't give up anything for him so he's worth the risk.

I'm assuming he'll get a chance on Brind'Amours line. And knowing this is probably his last chance with an NHL team, he may have something to prove.

Very good point CLF! That's what Recchi has done like another poster mentioned. I always listen to 99.9 the fan and they were discussing this morning what the Canes needed to do in order to make it deep into the playoffs this year and they were debating wether or not the getting Wallin, Walker and Ladd back would be the difference or did we need someone new. They also said that it would come from a team that was struggling right now. Maybe they had a veteran player that just needed a change of scenery which in turn brought up Recchi and how much he's improved.

Awful move...a player who is an absolute shell of his former self...no longer a significant offense threat...once had 75 pts in a season...never came close again...ughhh all over this pick-up.

Hey, big Blackhawk fan here. I hope that Sammy has the Chicago illness. Meaning he starts scoring once he leaves here.

I wouldn't put too much stock into his stats this year. I don't think Savard really gave him a chance with the first 2 lines in Chicago. He was scratched alot, but wouldn't you let him sit in the press box to if you had Lang, Havlat, Toews, Kane, and Sharp?

Like I said, I think he didn't get a fair shake here.

Good Luck Sammy!

And good luck to the 'Canes!

He's not gonna score a lot but he'll create space and be able to bring the puck into the zone and set up the PP unlike any other player on the team. For the money and nothing else, I like the upside.

Well at least the guy can fit between Chara's legs. He might go five hole on Chara then shoot it five hole on goal.

If the guy still has any speed he could help a lot. I think it all depends on how he is greeted by the team and who they put around him. At this point I wouldn't mind seeing him on Brindy's line in place of LaRose. Larose just isn't Williams. So far though JR is doing what I figured. Look for a gritty forward to perhaps dig some out of the corners like Justin would in Samsanov. Now where is our offensive defenseman and how much are we willing to pay or trade for that guy? Once we have that guy I don't see any other moves for a while if at all. Unless you want to start rebuilding and I don't think they are prepared to start doing that.

Maybe they had a veteran player that just needed a change of scenery which in turn brought up Recchi and how much he's improved.

My fear with that hope is that Recchi didn't actually improve when he went to Atlanta, he was averaging a point per game in Pittsburgh before he was moved down to the 3rd or 4th line with less ice time, at which point he stopped producing and then was benched. He's been on a top line in Atlanta and has been averaging a point a game down there as well.

Don't get me wrong, I hope that Samsonov has a positive impact on the team and begins performing despite his lack of performance so far this season. But I don't want him to do like Recchi, which is just continue doing the same thing he has been doing. The reason Recchi's move has seemed like such a success is because Recchi is doing what some of their other guys weren't doing.. and that's putting up regular points.

Do you think you guys can let the guy at least play a game or two THEN pick up your rocks!! If he isn't going to adapt then I see Lavi making him our perennial healthy scratch!!

Not sure how he's gonna fit in.......he's been absent for some time. Did basically nothing in Montreal at the end and basically nothing with his next team. Who knows he may turn something on but not the move I expected but like "C" said let him play a few games before you guys throw 'em under the bus.

He can skate. He can handle the puck. We got him and gave up nothing. For 800K, its as good a move as we are going to be able to make for a forward at this point. If he doesn't work out, then release him. I'd rather have him than Keith Aucoin. At least Samsonov has done something at the NHL level.

Do you think you guys can let the guy at least play a game or two THEN pick up your rocks!! If he isn't going to adapt then I see Lavi making him our perennial healthy scratch!!

LOL I know right. Isn't this fun?

Anson Carter has really ruined so many people's optimism on moves like these i'm telling ya.

Lavi is going to say simply "be aggressive with the puck......that's what we need from you. Oppurtunities will create themselves. Don't try to do too much but if you are unsure of anything make sure you ask the board members because they know everything.."

hahhhh I had ya there till the end.

Anson Carter has really ruined so many people's optimism on moves like these i'm telling ya.

Lavi is going to say simply "be aggressive with the puck......that's what we need from you. Oppurtunities will create themselves. Don't try to do too much but if you are unsure of anything make sure you ask the board members because they know everything.."

You had me at hello.

You had me at hello.

Yep, sad thing is the most vocal of the whiners would get winded at playing fantasy hockey nevertheless the real game!! Yet they are the self proclaimed experts at coaching and player acquisition.