The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ncz82

Canes claim Samsonov

Samsonov is going to give the powerplay a shot in the arm. He is a faster version of Ray Whitney with nearly the same puck skills and minus the ability to finish with the puck on his stick. If anything he'll help the powerplay gain entry into the zone with his dangle and will draw some attention away from our other threats. The guy is an absolute burner and that kind of speed is dangerous in the system we employ.

Samsonov also has an underrated ability to play a physical style and be durable while doing it. When he is on top of his game, he isn't unlike the Sami Kapanen that we had in the Francis days. When he is off his game.... well we claimed him on the second time through waivers.

Hey, big Blackhawk fan here. I hope that Sammy has the Chicago illness. Meaning he starts scoring once he leaves here.

I wouldn't put too much stock into his stats this year. I don't think Savard really gave him a chance with the first 2 lines in Chicago. He was scratched alot, but wouldn't you let him sit in the press box to if you had Lang, Havlat, Toews, Kane, and Sharp?

Like I said, I think he didn't get a fair shake here.

Good Luck Sammy!

And good luck to the 'Canes!

Thanks for the Blackhawk fan perspective and welcome to our board!! :)

You had me at hello.

Hmmmm and I never said hello.

I guess i'm so good it's automatic. (ego swells)

Just a reminder though that even the first game Carter played in he looked good right away. It was after that he seemed to turn into the ford taurus he was driving in a sense. He got from one point to another but not quickly or with any hustle. There was definitly no Thunder(in reference to his nickname, which i've been told is offensive for WHATEVER reason before)

Anyways enough ripping Carter. My bad. <_<

And please don't compare this to Mark Recchi...LOL what a joke that would be...Recchi is a PROVEN playmaker who started off badly this year...Samsonov? Completely fallen off the map.

If you referring to me just wanted you to know that I didn't make the reference. 99.9 the fan was talking about it this morning. :)

Brookbank might not look he's doing much but just being on the bench is enough to keep other teams in check. Boston has Lucic who is their enforcer and is tough as nails so I hope Brookbank is on the bench tonight.

Kind of ironic that Sampsonov gets his first game with us tonight against his old team, the Bruins. As for the reference to his questionable locker room attitude, his issues happened in Montreal where its no secret how tough of a place that market can be, especially for a Russian player. Using the Pats as an example (yeah, I know...I know), sometimes the players that have been labeled as "head cases" thrive on a different team (see Randy Moss).

I really liked this guy when he played for the Bruins but since then, he's been real up and down. It'll be interesting to see how this works, Im just glad something was done before it became too late.

What does suprise me a little is that JR was willing to take another chance on a Russian player. We've not had a good track record there.

You beat me to it, he is playing against his ex-team tonight, or should i say the last team that he actually had success with. Eve if he doesn't score goals, the guy can definitely set people up, we have guys who can shoot, so I think if he can be a playmaker and create space than he'd be a good fit for our system. He'd definitely help the PP maybe gaining the zone. With Williams out, and Samsonov playing wing, this is a late Christmas gift for him, I hope he's smart enough to realize that.

he'll also be a welcomed addition int he shootout with Matt out. However, we sitll lack a good 3rd lien center, but at least we have an upgrade on the brindy line, and I think Samsonov could be a good fit with Cullen when he comes back if you can add a finisher on the line.

he'll also be a welcomed addition int he shootout with Matt out. However, we sitll lack a good 3rd lien center, but at least we have an upgrade on the brindy line, and I think Samsonov could be a good fit with Cullen when he comes back if you can add a finisher on the line.

Hopefully, he'll get that shot on the Brindy line. So far, Lavi seems to keep returning to LaRose when that line has an opening. I have a feeling, if he plays tonight, that we'll see him on the third line, with a few shifts on Brindy's line to test him out. I just hope he gets a fair shake on that line, instead of getting swapped out after one or two shifts, as seems to be the norm with a lot of the guys who have shuffled in and out of that line.

This must still be a rumor, even though it is on TSN.CA and the Canes site there is no OFFICIAL post from Eklund giving it an E5. Given that then this must just be pure speculation on TSN and the Hurricanes behalf!! LOL

Hopefully, he'll get that shot on the Brindy line. So far, Lavi seems to keep returning to LaRose when that line has an opening. I have a feeling, if he plays tonight, that we'll see him on the third line, with a few shifts on Brindy's line to test him out. I just hope he gets a fair shake on that line, instead of getting swapped out after one or two shifts, as seems to be the norm with a lot of the guys who have shuffled in and out of that line.

I agree. I sure hope Lavi plays him on the Brindy Line. I love Chad, but he isn't cutting it there. Samsonov put up numbers when he played alongside Thornton, who knows, he might get that touch back playing with Brind'Amour then having a great playmaker like Stillman on your otherside.

And if he does play tonight, I wouldn't expect too much out of him tonight and wouldn't be surprised to see him on the 3rd line tonight. He needs to get used to our system and how we play the game here.

This must still be a rumor, even though it is on TSN.CA and the Canes site there is no OFFICIAL post from Eklund giving it an E5. Given that then this must just be pure speculation on TSN and the Hurricanes behalf!! LOL

There sure is one now... It has to be official.

I agree. I sure hope Lavi plays him on the Brindy Line. I love Chad, but he isn't cutting it there. Samsonov put up numbers when he played alongside Thornton, who knows, he might get that touch back playing with Brind'Amour then having a great playmaker like Stillman on your otherside.

At minimum his speed, shiftiness and potential to score backs teams off and creates time and space for Brindy and Stillman.

Not everyone agrees with me over at the Blackhawks message boards, but some do.

I hope for your sake that he gets a chance to play. He only played about 25 games for us this year. A little over half. The other times he was a healthy scratch. I don't think he had a chance.

If nothing else, when the Canes come to Chicago, he will get a hat trick.

If you referring to me just wanted you to know that I didn't make the reference. 99.9 the fan was talking about it this morning. :)

Well I saw two people mention Recchi...which made me mad :angry: ...but I wasn't trying to single anyone out lol...just saying let's not compare this to Recchi at all...

I honestly think this may be a smart pickup by the Canes. Like a few people have said so far he seems to be the type of player that would fit in well with the type of game the Canes play. How know maybe he will be a surprise and be good with the Canes.

I honestly think this may be a smart pickup by the Canes. Like a few people have said so far he seems to be the type of player that would fit in well with the type of game the Canes play. How know maybe he will be a surprise and be good with the Canes.

good point Max, too many here are anxious to throw him under the bus without at least letting the guy play a game or two.

good point Max, too many here are anxious to throw him under the bus without at least letting the guy play a game or two.

In that same vein, too many are too optimistic to call a spade, a spade.

I'm anxious to see how the guy can do here. Not positive or negative yet about it at all. Hope he gets a chance to play tonight, but it may take some time for him to have any impact. After all, how long did it take Weight and Recchi to really have impacts during the Cup run?

Though I must say at least we didn't give up anything to get him. We need to stop giving away our future and build up the system. Especially when it's finally starting to show a little progress.

If he works out, JR will be a genius. If not, what exactly do we lose?

Seems strange as Lavi usually goes for the North American players rather than Europeans/Russians. However Im sure he and Lavi will get along if he works hard.

Currently he has 4A in 23 games so did he miss some time with an injury or what?

Seems strange as Lavi usually goes for the North American players rather than Europeans/Russians. However Im sure he and Lavi will get along if he works hard.

Currently he has 4A in 23 games so did he miss some time with an injury or what?

No, he just stopped producing, then was put down to the 3rd/4th line, then scratched all together.

No, he just stopped producing, then was put down to the 3rd/4th line, then scratched all together.

That kinda ends my excitement....

Oh well hopefully he can get his game back here, and I think he will be able too considerng we have lots of playmakers.

And somtimes a new team is just what a player needs. So hopefully Samsonov just need to go somewhere else and him being a Cane now will breath some fresh air into him.

And somtimes a new team is just what a player needs. So hopefully Samsonov just need to go somewhere else and him being a Cane now will breath some fresh air into him.

He was a Hab before he was a Hawk. A new team didn't exactly work out that time.

3rd time's the charm, right? :rolleyes: