The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ncz82

Canes claim Samsonov

I guess it's a wait and see on Samsonov to see which one shows up.

The one from the 2005-2006 season (23g 30a, not including 4g 11a in the playoffs) when he was with the Bruins/Oilers.

or the one from 2006-2007 (9g 17a) when he was with the Habs.

In that same vein, too many are too optimistic to call a spade, a spade.

that is actually a racist remark but then I think you know that!!

This guy is living proof that a traffic cone can score 20 goals if they are on the same line as Joe Thornton! He does not make the players around him better, he only benefits from better players. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I see this as a waste of 800K.

He was a Hab before he was a Hawk. A new team didn't exactly work out that time.

3rd time's the charm, right? :rolleyes:

I guess you didn't read his stats with Boston or does that not count?

that is actually a racist remark but then I think you know that!!

The phrase came before spade became an ethnic slur. The phrase was around sometime in the 1500's.

I guess you didn't read his stats with Boston or does that not count?

Nah, he did well in Boston. And was doing well in Edmonton. But like I said, he didn't do well in Montreal, was moved over to the Hawks (played their 1st line), wasn't producing, went to the 3rd/4th line, then scratched all together.

i really like this pick up! he is a great hockey player. he has been in a bit of a slump for the last couple of years but i think playing with all the all stars in carolina he is going to do just fine!!

[/quote

he's been in quite a bit of a slump and "stars"....well, again good luck to Sami...I liked him as a hab

I thought it was a cliche?

That would be correct. It is actually originally a Greek term in the 1500s "call a bowl, a bowl" but was misinterpreted as spade, and the mistake remained a part of present day language.

The term spade, as a derogatory term, came about in the 1920s.

Back on topic, we'll see how Samsonov does over the next few games. And hope his performance over the past few seasons was a result of his environment and being here will change that.

I remember when Samsonov got injured and they said he had a lot of dizziness and numbness in his hands. I wonder if he has fully recovered from that injury. I can't recall if

it was concussion related or the exact nature of the injury...it was when he was still with Boston, though. His numbers certainly haven't been the same since then, though.

I remember seeing him go on waivers and then saying "Nah, we'd get a D-man before we get a Vet winger with no goals in 23 games, and if we got a winger, someone who can produce a goal in at least 23 games" Well, I guess not. With Culls, Willy out (forward-wise) and Walker, I guess the rookies called up weren't good enough. I am guessing that Brookbank will go back down and we'll keep Nolan, Aucoin. I am hoping Borer stays with the team for the rest of the season.

As for Samsonov, I remember the days he was killer. But 0 Goals and 4 Assists in 23 games, maybe he wasn't cut out for the defensive play of the Bruins. Hopefully he can fit in a rediscover his talent with a more offensive/aggressive style of play.

This guy is living proof that a traffic cone can score 20 goals if they are on the same line as Joe Thornton! He does not make the players around him better, he only benefits from better players. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I see this as a waste of 800K.

We aren't asking him to make the players around him better. That's what Stillman, Whitney and Brind'Amour are for. We are asking him to provide experienced forward depth, that's it.

Anyone who is counting on this guy to come here and be a Williams or Cullen will be highly disappointed. I mean seriously, if he was good enough to be like a Williams or Cullen he wouldn't have been put on waivers or re-entry waivers at that. As long as he comes in and provides the forward depth, then its worth the 800K IMHO.

And please don't compare this to Mark Recchi...LOL what a joke that would be...Recchi is a PROVEN playmaker who started off badly this year...Samsonov? Completely fallen off the map.

Samsonov had an 80 point season a couple of years back. He's got just as good a chance of rebounding as Recchi did.

I'm pleased with this move. Didn't see it coming in the least, but we're only paying $880,000. If he has a bounce-back year, then JR will look like a genius.

People need to stop comparing this guy with Carter. Carter had never been a difference-maker until he potted 33 goals due to the playmaking abilities of the Sedins. Samsonov is an 8th overall pick who has scored more than 80 points and has merely fallen upon hard times. Another thing is neither Montreal or Chicago has the offensive depth that we have. Montreal's got Koivu, Higgins, formerly Ryder, and a couple of high-scoring d-men, and Chicago has Toews, Kane, and Havlat (and Havlat spends more time on the IR than on the ice).

If this move doesn't work, we're stuck spending barely any money and reserved our real bargaining tools for the defenseman we need. Sounds like a good risk to me.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Desperation is a stinky cologne.

Actually desperation is the best way to play.

you gotta want it. Bad. And the Cane's should be desperate to show that they really are contenders because right now, nobody in the league thinks they are.

Samsonov had an 80 point season a couple of years back. He's got just as good a chance of rebounding as Recchi did.

I'm pleased with this move. Didn't see it coming in the least, but we're only paying $880,000. If he has a bounce-back year, then JR will look like a genius.

People need to stop comparing this guy with Carter. Carter had never been a difference-maker until he potted 33 goals due to the playmaking abilities of the Sedins. Samsonov is an 8th overall pick who has scored more than 80 points and has merely fallen upon hard times. Another thing is neither Montreal or Chicago has the offensive depth that we have. Montreal's got Koivu, Higgins, formerly Ryder, and a couple of high-scoring d-men, and Chicago has Toews, Kane, and Havlat (and Havlat spends more time on the IR than on the ice).

If this move doesn't work, we're stuck spending barely any money and reserved our real bargaining tools for the defenseman we need. Sounds like a good risk to me.

ummmmm....you forgot Kostitsyn...Plekanec....Kovalev and the high scoring D...( take it from anywhere you can...Markov and Streit)

by the way desperation causes you to panic and rush...no...not always the best way

Great post. Desperation could be the key to us finishing the season strong, and with a playoff berth. We played incredible in the first month and some of November, then we just started to wane off. Now we need to clinch games and desperation can be the remedy to our game.

ummmmm....you forgot Kostitsyn...Plekanec....Kovalev and the high scoring D...( take it from anywhere you can...Markov and Streit)

by the way desperation causes you to panic and rush...no...not always the best way

desperation also led the Canes to Carolina.

Samsonov can be helpfull if hes paired on the right line. Lavi has to use him right.

I just hope we won't repeat Anson Carter experience. IMO, Samsonov is the worst european player in NHL.

Anson Carter was the first thing that came to my mind too. Samsonov is a minus 7 this year, do the Canes need another forward who has trouble cleaning up their own end? No question he can score, but the Bruins made stars out of both Samsonov and Carter in my opinion and they haven't been the same since they left Boston.

Boston has a way of making ordinary players stars, when in the black and gold. I don't think Tim Thomas would shine in another uniform.

Sammy, PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG.

Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to a desperate style of play (i.e. desperately trying to score in the final minute of a game). I meant desperation on the part of management and JR. After reading back through the thread, I really have to agree with colesylarosefan on a couple of points.

We aren't asking him to make the players around him better. That's what Stillman, Whitney and Brind'Amour are for. We are asking him to provide experienced forward depth, that's it.

I hope people aren't thinking that JR picking up Samsonov was the answer to the Canes problems. Hes gonna be used as experienced forward depth, that's it. He'll get his chance probably with Brind'Amour/Stillman, but if anyone is thinking JR made this move to solve our problems is wrong.

JR said he would give up a pick or prospect for forward depth, well that won't get you anyone much better than Samsonov. This way we are only paying him $880K and we were able to save our assets/picks/prospects for acquiring that defenseman we really need.

I'm not expecting much out of the dude. If he can come in with a good attitude and not screw up, then I'll be fine with this move.

Depth he can definitely provide. However, isn't part of his problem that he gets upset when he doesn't get minutes? Once this team is healthy, he'll likely get stuck on the 3rd line. Will that be good enough for him? Here's hoping he doesn't live up to his reputation of being bad in the locker room.

Anson Carter was the first thing that came to my mind too. Samsonov is a minus 7 this year, do the Canes need another forward who has trouble cleaning up their own end? No question he can score, but the Bruins made stars out of both Samsonov and Carter in my opinion and they haven't been the same since they left Boston.

Boston has a way of making ordinary players stars, when in the black and gold. I don't think Tim Thomas would shine in another uniform.

Sammy, PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG.

Carter was good when he played fo Vancouver...i don't think he ever played for Boston.

desperation also led the Canes to Carolina.

Samsonov can be helpfull if hes paired on the right line. Lavi has to use him right.

No, If you want the truth ....an owner who lied led the whalers to Karmanos 3rd choice ...Raleigh. By the way , what did that have to do with Samsonov.

No, If you want the truth ....an owner who lied led the whalers to Karmanos 3rd choice ...Raleigh. By the way , what did that have to do with Samsonov.

just pointing out that acting out of desperation isn't a bad thing.