The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ncz82

Canes claim Samsonov

This could be another dud (like Carter) or make JR look brilliant (like Weight). We'll see how it goes.

He's not 'the savior', but he could fit in and contribute. His skill on the PP and speed (wow!) would be welcomed.

I think he was finally "gelling" with Edmonton in the last 2 playoff rounds and unfortunately (for him) went elsewhere as a UFA; he never found it in Montreal or Chicago, for various reasons....

$800K isn't bad for giving up zilch!

Interesting, though- 2 reasons: 1. a Russian -lack of Europeans on Canes (some suggest mgmt not fond of Euro players) and (ancient history)2. he is the draft pick we (Whalers) gave up orignally to get Wesley.....hmmmm

just pointing out that acting out of desperation isn't a bad thing.

thats fine if your point was truthful ...it wasn't. The trip to another city by Karmanos was planned when he bought the team..... far from desperation my friend. Ok, back to sammy .......

Pilge...if you really want the info on that then PM me

Definately not in this case, glad it al worked out for us down here ;) . Hopefully it'll work out for Sampsonov too.

Definately not in this case, glad it al worked out for us down here ;) . Hopefully it'll work out for Sampsonov too.

Samsonov had an 80 point season a couple of years back. He's got just as good a chance of rebounding as Recchi did.

Remarkably disagree with this, as Recchi had one bad start to a season compared to Samsonov being virtually non-existent as a player since the lock-out. Just as good of a chance of rebounding as Recchi did? Recchi didn't fall off the map like Samsonov did, so Recchi "rebounding" was just going somewhere where he could have top-line status and show his stuff...Samsonov however over the course of TWO years has been given chance after chance and hasn't proved anything...if he comes here and plays well it won't be "rebounding", it'll be more like being a new player. Recchi's skill has never been questioned, nor his desire and/or attitude. Samsonov has had all these things questioned about him, and has failed to deliver any positive answers. Like I said though earlier, one more stop surely can't hurt for Sergei and here's hoping that he gets the job done here in Carolina. I just don't think it's comparable AT all to Mark Recchi, and it's really a cut to Recchi to mention Samsonov in the same situation.

I'm gunna give him a few games before I completely throw him under the bus.

You never know what a guy can do, but I'm not saying he will be incredibly good, but I hope he surprises us!

If he can open up the ice, it is an improvment. If he can get the puck up the ice, then it was worth it. I know JR and others have been looking at him for a while. On the PP, if he can move left to right with the puck on the PP and cause the rest of the team to move along with him, it will be an improvement.

Our PP leaves the other team so positonally stable, no wonder their D has no problem blocking shots. Not sure if you all remember when Doug Weight got here, the first noticeable thing was on the PP, he move left to right and everyone else had to move opening up the shooting lanes. Like shaking a bottle of ketchup before the pour. Get it loose and let the goodness roll !!! This is worth a $800K chance.

From what I remember he was the type to puckhandle around 2 or 3 players and shoot it right into the goalies chest or deke himself out. He's got great moves and no shot from what I remember.

Good. maybe he can do some great moves and pass the puck to one of our guys who can score.

Not sure if you all remember when Doug Weight got here, the first noticeable thing was on the PP, he move left to right and everyone else had to move opening up the shooting lanes.

Exactly what I was thinking today when I heard about the move. He plays strong on the puck for his size, and is good in traffic with it. He doesnt have quite the soft hands that Doug Weight or Francis have but he will be threat to weave in and out drawing double teams.

We need puck handlers as our weakness shows when you take Cullen out.

Remarkably disagree with this, as Recchi had one bad start to a season compared to Samsonov being virtually non-existent as a player since the lock-out.
Sergei had 53 combined points in the post lock-out season with Boston and Edmonton and another 15 points in the playoffs, so let's be fair there. Also, one BIG thing he's got going for him versus Recchi is he's only 29 versus 39 for Recchi. And, man, does this team need more players on the living side of 30.

Look, we got the guy without giving up a pick or a prospect and clearly, with our injuries, we need an NHL calibre forward at least as a filler. As the voice of reason :blink: FW says, let's hold off on the bus for now... ;)

Something else and may have been talked about as I only read 3 pages of this post, but bringing in another forward helps replace Right Wing for injured Right Wing (Williams), but it also may mean that JR is going to send a forward off to get the invisable "puck moving D-man". Build up the cupboard before taking something out. Now most of the big names and the one big name I think could be on the table is not a right wing, but still, more back-up in the forward position to trade one away.

What is the next move?? Who knows. One action always creates another....

Wow, tough crowd here, as always. Sergei has had terrible stats this year, but after reading all the posts on the Hawks forum, there are a lot of different opinions as to the real cause of this lack of production. As for 2006-2007 in Montreal, all I can say is that

something I find interesrting is the fact that Boston used one of the draft picks they got from us for signing Wesley to draft Samsonov and now all these years later he ends up here. I hope this is a good move I think he's worth a shot worse case is he ends up in Albany with Crackers.

Question: Is his cost $800K-$900K or one-half the $3.5M which is $1.75M. Too busy to check the web at work for this one but I have seen both talked about.

The way I understand it is since he is in his last year of the contract, we are responsible for 1/2 of the remaining 1.75 million, which is $875,000.

You would have thought Chicago would have seen the box socre from the St Loius Game and realized we played half our Albany team. Knowing we in such dire need for an NHL pulse they could have probably gotten at least a new soda machine for their locker room from us in a trade.

Thanks for not making us give up anything.

I agree with the consesus - not a Doug Weight or Mark Recchi deal but not an Anson Carter either. Hopefully the move to a division leader will invigorate Sergi

Question: Is his cost $800K-$900K or one-half the $3.5M which is $1.75M. Too busy to check the web at work for this one but I have seen both talked about.

Half of his remaining salary, isn't it? Just like with a trade, a team actually only picks up what is left of the salary for the season. Only due to the rules with waivers the team that releases a player pays half, any team that picks up the player pays the other half.

Since the season is already half over, it's actually for 1/4 his salary this season. So in that $800-850k range.

I've got another question for those in the know, though. Just a hypothetical situation. What if he doesn't work out and the Canes waive him. What happens if another team picks him up like the Canes did? Would the Canes need to pay half of the part they owe him for this season (or what's left of the season)? :lol:

Hmmm...........I'm very willing to give the man a chance and hope he is with Stillman/Brind'Amour tonight. If he can carry the puck into the zone I'm particularly interested. I sense the Canes are a dump and chase team for the most part........I wouldn't mind seeing a new dimension of another puck carrier. If he can create space, I'd be especially excited to see him open up a better Jeff Hamilton PP shot. Stillman likes to shoot a pass up the middle too but right now and without Staal and Cole, I don't think he has a viable outlet. I pretty much would like to see Samsonov deke, shoot and let Brind'Amour and Stillman pick up the trash.

His stats are not impressive this year for sure........but I think they are skewed with a "games" figure. I personally would rather see TOI to have a more fair comparison.

And I believe someone stated somewhere earlier in this thread that he is efficient in a shootout. That may be worth the price in itself should it be true.

Essentially, I'm looking forward to his debut.

You would have thought Chicago would have seen the box socre from the St Loius Game and realized we played half our Albany team. Knowing we in such dire need for an NHL pulse they could have probably gotten at least a new soda machine for their locker room from us in a trade.

I agree with the consesus - not a Doug Weight or Mark Recchi deal but not an Anson Carter either. Hopefully the move to a division leader will invigorate Sergi

He went on waivers a couple days ago. JR probably called the GM there and said if you put Samsonov on re-entry waivers I'll put a claim in for him. Its better for Chicago to pay half his salary than the full amount.

He was put on waivers a couple days ago. JR probably called their GM and said if you put him on re-entry waivers I'll put a claim in him. Chicago was probably thrilled as they will now only have to pay half his salary instead of the full amount.

Carter was good when he played fo Vancouver...i don't think he ever played for Boston.

He sure did. The Canes in Greensboro made the playoffs and played the Bruins. Carter was incredible, pretty much kicked our *edit* single handed. He was a monster.

I am excited about th epick-up. Lets see if it works out. Some do - some don't.

And as far as "spade" ...... lighten up y'all. It is still a term that is frequently used NOT as a racial slur. It describes a small shovel.

Interesting interview with Gleason in pregame. HMMM, doesn't sound very excited about the new arrival. He will play tonight according to Hurricanes live. Hope this works. :unsure: