The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ncz82

Canes claim Samsonov

Just a few questions: why did the Blackhawks dump him and did any other teams try and claim the guy? Any chance he could have the same attitude problems as Babchuck?

Samsonov had an 80 point season a couple of years back. He's got just as good a chance of rebounding as Recchi did.

I'm pleased with this move. Didn't see it coming in the least, but we're only paying $880,000. If he has a bounce-back year, then JR will look like a genius.

People need to stop comparing this guy with Carter. Carter had never been a difference-maker until he potted 33 goals due to the playmaking abilities of the Sedins. Samsonov is an 8th overall pick who has scored more than 80 points and has merely fallen upon hard times. Another thing is neither Montreal or Chicago has the offensive depth that we have. Montreal's got Koivu, Higgins, formerly Ryder, and a couple of high-scoring d-men, and Chicago has Toews, Kane, and Havlat (and Havlat spends more time on the IR than on the ice).

If this move doesn't work, we're stuck spending barely any money and reserved our real bargaining tools for the defenseman we need. Sounds like a good risk to me.

Like most posts, I agree with Caniacal_Avaholic, this is like the Recchi situation. We only got Samsonov cause of injuries. If Cole wasn't injured in 05-06, Recchi wouldn't have been picked up in my opinion. So although we did have a balanced hockey club, with Williams and Cullen out we have some holes to fill, those two combined racked up a good amount of minutes, so Samsonov will get a great opportunity here.

We only got Samsonov cause of injuries. If Cole wasn't injured in 05-06, Recchi wouldn't have been picked up in my opinion. So although we did have a balanced hockey club, with Williams and Cullen out we have some holes to fill, those two combined racked up a good amount of minutes, so Samsonov will get a great opportunity here.

Well now this I agree with, comparing the Recchi situation to Samsonov on the basis of both of them being acquired for injuries. I just don't agree with comparing Recchi's "rebound" in ATL to Samsonov possibly doing the same here, at least in terms of player history.

BTW, Samsonov has had two 70 pt. seasons before, but never an 80 pt. season as previously mentioned.

I think it's a good add. Didn't cost us any prospects or draft picks. He has speed and puck handling skills. If he passes it well, we could create more chances, more rebounds, etc... hopefully it becomes a great smart move in the end.

So far I like what I've seen. He only joined the team 2 hours before the game and he is out there flying and passing like he's been here for a while.

He doesn't look bad. He can definitely handle the puck. Of course, that's not what everyone was claiming was his problem. He's had problems finishing, but I hope he can do it here.

i kinda like this guy. he's got the ability to put up points, and if he gets his mindset to say that this might actually be his last chance he can step it up and work harder and emerge to his rookie form yet again. plus i liked the interview he did tonight, seemed pretty happy to be here.

I'm not quick to judge new guys on the team, but yea he stood out tonight. But won't come to conclusions that he's ready to be a top 6 forward on a consistent basis yet. we shall see, I'm looking forward to seeing him play in a classic up-tempo Canes hockey game with end-to-end action cause that will probably when he shows us his best stuff.

He doesn't look bad. He can definitely handle the puck. Of course, that's not what everyone was claiming was his problem. He's had problems finishing, but I hope he can do it here.

wow I didn't think you were capable of hope. :P

Isn't it true he played in game 7 with the Oilers?

i heard him say something like that during the Post-game show interview.

I believe he played in every game of the finals. I'm pretty sure he was scorer on the only Edmonton goal in Game 4.

Don't know if this was mentioned, but Denis Potvin on XM this morning reminded us that Coach Lav was the assistant coach in Boston at the time that Samsonov was having his good seasons, and there is probably familiarity there between the 2 of them already.

I'd like to think that Lav told Ruthorford that he knows what makes Samsonov tick and we ended up with a steal.

We'll just have to see how it ultimately pans out, but this made me feel more optimistic that in spite of the negative criticism that has followed Sergei around the last couple of years, that he at least meets the character standards that Ruthorford applies to guys he picks up.

I think Samsonov's success or failure here will be a matter of how he is used (so, that makes me #1,098,786,667 on this thread to say so). This is a lot like the Carter deal, but Anson Carter was used in some pretty lame line combinations and definitely never had the chances he got in Vancouver with the Sedins on his line. Or, look at Eric Belanger: with the Canes, he's a fourth-line guy; on Atlnata's top line, he's a producer. The untalented can look mighty good when paired with two great forwards; just ask Armstrong in Pittsburgh.

Samsonov still has the skills, and if he plays on our 1 or 2 line, he should put up some points. Here in Chicago, he not only had mediocre linemates most of the time, but with the exception of the 19-year-olds and Patrick Sharp, who is just good, nobody on the Hawks played with any enthusiasm. Also, Marty Havlat is a lazy, lazy guy and sets a poor example--Samsonov is very similar to Havlat in skill, and sadly enough he also acquired Marty's nonexistent work ethic.

The Canes ought to be able to motivate Samsonov, if for no other reasons than our players are a lot more demanding of each other (#17 and #2, especially) and our coaches don't let the players get away with half-hearted play.

I think Samsonov's success or failure here will be a matter of how he is used (so, that makes me #1,098,786,667 on this thread to say so). This is a lot like the Carter deal, but Anson Carter was used in some pretty lame line combinations and definitely never had the chances he got in Vancouver with the Sedins on his line. Or, look at Eric Belanger: with the Canes, he's a fourth-line guy; on Atlnata's top line, he's a producer. The untalented can look mighty good when paired with two great forwards; just ask Armstrong in Pittsburgh.

Samsonov still has the skills, and if he plays on our 1 or 2 line, he should put up some points. Here in Chicago, he not only had mediocre linemates most of the time, but with the exception of the 19-year-olds and Patrick Sharp, who is just good, nobody on the Hawks played with any enthusiasm. Also, Marty Havlat is a lazy, lazy guy and sets a poor example--Samsonov is very similar to Havlat in skill, and sadly enough he also acquired Marty's nonexistent work ethic.

The Canes ought to be able to motivate Samsonov, if for no other reasons than our players are a lot more demanding of each other (#17 and #2, especially) and our coaches don't let the players get away with half-hearted play.

Well, thanks for that bit of info. I was on Chicago's message boards yesterday and saw alot of fans saying he was just not given the chance and put on the bench way too much to even try to prove himself. IMO I think he will do well here. He played a great game with us last night and I'm def. willing to give him a chance! You can tell he has some skill with that puck!

Didn't notice it mentioned in the thread, but how cool/classy was that by the Canes to have Ron Francis meet Samsonov at the airport. What a way to say "Welcome to the Hurricanes!"

Didn't notice it mentioned in the thread, but how cool/classy was that by the Canes to have Ron Francis meet Samsonov at the airport. What a way to say "Welcome to the Hurricanes!"

Yep, if that didn't make him feel welcome then nothing will!!

I hope Sammy does well here in Carolina. Perhaps a new environment, a different style, and more ice time will be the remedy he needs. He seemed genuinely happy in his interview with Tripp to be here, so he will hopefully fit in the locker room.

Yikes...we really are desperate. But I'm sure he'd do much better than LaRose on the first line. However, if this is the transaction we were supposed to be waiting for, it really isn't much. Samsonov , 0 goals in like 23 games for the hawks this season before they let him go.

Is that really his record, the 0-23? I sure he does better than that for us! We did get to meet him at practice today and he seemed nice enough to the fans here.