The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ncz82

Canes claim Samsonov

With our injuries we have a lot of guys who don't put up points, so in that respect one is a little concerned by his lack of production recently. On the other hand he just looks a lot more skilled than our non scorers/AHL'ers. Of course it's one game, but his upside looks pretty huge. If he finds his game/confidence it will be a huge pick up. If not, then just put him in the group with Letowski, LaRose, Adams, Ladd (hopefully he breaks out of this group), and the AHL call ups, and keep looking.

I think he turns it around, he just looks too good to be grouped with those other names.

He's looked good so far. He stickhandles well and doesn't look out of place. He needs to take the puck to the net a bit more and shoot more often. He's got great moves but so far he's just been taking it to the outside or forechecking. He needs to be a little more confident. It's just one game, but he looks like a good acquisition so far. If nothing else, he wore out their defense being chased around last game.

I always hope for the best with mid-season acquisitions, because although they often don't work out, at least they show an active presence in management that is working on the team's problems. I forbid myself from making any judgements based on a single game by a player whose first contact with the team was 30 minutes prior to the game.

For 3 seconds.

Ok, now that that silly restriction is over with..

The squint test (looking at a new player with partially closed eyes and guessing which other Cane you'd think he was) gives me a Sami Kapanen/Radim Vrbata mongrel hybrid. Both had some seriously long goal droughts, and flashes of deep skill, and very little physical presence (despite Sams being bigger than the two guys I mentioned.) So I'll be rooting for him to find a niche, and use the ice-time he's gonna get to good advantage, while it lasts.

The thing I was most impressed about was his hockey sense. Those clears from the defensive zone were something we sorely lack. I wouldn't hesitate to use him as an emergency defenseman, al a Sami with Philadelphia.

Well I noticed one thing last nite; if nothing else Samsonov creates open space...which as we all know our guys have had problems with that in the past. I would love for Sergei to finish his creative chances, but even if he doesn't at least he adds a new dimension to our offense.

Carter was good when he played fo Vancouver...i don't think he ever played for Boston.

Carter played and put up pretty good numbers for Boston from 1997 to 2000 which is where I first noticed his up tempo hair flying style. He was part of the big deal sending Bill Ranford, Adam Oates and Rick Tocchet to Washington in exchange for him, Jim Carey, and Jason Allison.

He did put up good numbers in Vancouver and Edmonton too, very streaky though. One goal in 10 games for us, I was very disappointed.

Yikes...we really are desperate. But I'm sure he'd do much better than LaRose on the first line. However, if this is the transaction we were supposed to be waiting for, it really isn't much. Samsonov , 0 goals in like 23 games for the hawks this season before they let him go.

Is that really his record, the 0-23? I sure he does better than that for us! We did get to meet him at practice today and he seemed nice enough to the fans here.

one of the reasons he is like that is because chicago didnt give him chances..

he only averaged like 9 minutes a game,

which compares to a forth liner..

he is a very good hockey player and hopefully will fit in.

after last game he seemed calm and in the zone,

if he plays like that every game he will be successful here. :)

I just hope we won't repeat Anson Carter experience. IMO, Samsonov is the worst european player in NHL.

I had the same reaction. I presumed he'd play hard for his first few games, maybe get a few points, and then slide into obscurity. Shades of Belanger?

Hi,

It's my first post. Don't expect much from a guy uses "caniacshubby" for a name. :rolleyes: I don't know hockey -- soccer was my game. I do have a question. Re Samsonov, what's the concern for his goal scoring ability? Who was the opponent the other night with 34 assists and single digit goals? That dude scared the dickens out of me every time he touched the puck. TV made a huge deal out of his ability to create goals for others.

I read where Sammy's wrists are blown out -- no smoke on his shot. So what. If he causes Staal, Whitney, Cole, Stillman, Brindy, Hamilton, et al to up their production, who cares what he scores.

I've read comment after comment about his selfishness. It seems to be in the culture given the concern for his personal production.

I watched with more comfort than I've had in a long time as he carried the puck out of the zone and with delight as he carried it into the zone. Oh my Lord, Canes in possession in the zone. Like I said I don't know hockey but the Canes do a version of what we called "kick and run" in soccer. Kick and run was a derogatory term. Dump and chase is the same for me. It seems like a strategy for players who have little skill and no reasonable plan for controlling the puck in the zone.

I'd love to read other's thoughts on this. And don't be shy, let me have it, I'm a grown man.

Re Samsonov, what's the concern for his goal scoring ability? Who was the opponent the other night with 34 assists and single digit goals? That dude scared the dickens out of me every time he touched the puck. TV made a huge deal out of his ability to create goals for others.

You're talking about Marc Savard, one of the most dynamic passers in the league. Samsonov hasn't shown the ability to finish in a while, but as you just said even if the only thing he does is create more offense for other people than he'll be more than worthwhile to the entire team...he can be our little sparkplug :lol: ...something that Cole needs to regain. Anyways, welcome to the boards...you seem quite knowledgable about the game of hockey...so don't be worried about sharing your thoughts. Trust me, everyone has a voice here. :)

Does anyone else not see the humor in the people on here complaining about picking up Samsonov?

I'm sorry, but players who are going through current struggles who have tremendous skill who just need to be in the right system to thrive... Maybe I'm missing something here, but that sounds a lot like how a majority of the players on the roster back in 2006 were described before coming here.

I dunno, maybe its just me, but I really like this pickup, especially at the price we got him for. And if he works out, we'll have the cap room to keep him around next year and we'll also have the depth to free up additional cap space with some of our other forwards to sign additional d-men.

Does anyone else not see the humor in the people on here complaining about picking up Samsonov?

I'm sorry, but players who are going through current struggles who have tremendous skill who just need to be in the right system to thrive... Maybe I'm missing something here, but that sounds a lot like how a majority of the players on the roster back in 2006 were described before coming here.

I dunno, maybe its just me, but I really like this pickup, especially at the price we got him for. And if he works out, we'll have the cap room to keep him around next year and we'll also have the depth to free up additional cap space with some of our other forwards to sign additional d-men.

I keep trying to point this out as well. The idea is to buy low, sell high, right? You don't want to trade a guy when his value is way undervalued, right? Likewise, you want to try and snag a guy when he is way undervalued. I think this is just common sense? And a principle I think Ruthorford has made a killing by following.

To me, Samsonov is/was way undervalued. Where is the possible downside to this? We are out 800k?

He looked pretty good to me!

Before the Canes came around I was a Boston fan.. and IM SO HAPPY!!!

OK I cant take anymore so I will share my concern about this pickup....

My Disclaimer: It is "only " 800K and may prove to be a genius move by JR and as I have said before in JR I trust but...

From everything I have read and from what I can remember from seeing him play he WAS given a fair shake (albiet maybe not as long as people thought he should get) and was demoted to 3rd and 4th lines as a Result of NO production. Alot of Flash with not much gold at the end of the day aka Maxim Afino. in Buffablo.

His subsequent displeasure with only getting 6 or 8 minutes of ice time would further send his attitude down the drain and result in him getting many pressbox opportunities. The more he demanded Icetime the more he was told to earn it and the less he got to play. With PL starting him out with tons of ice time it reinforces the crying kid example of the more I cry the more attention I get and therefore the more I will cry. I would rather have seen him come in to 6- 8 mintues and earn his way up. I would think it fair to say that JR stays away from many of the russians and Eastern Euros because of the me first mentality many show. Does this bring Babchuk to mind???? I fear bad karma in the lockeroom .... of course all the good Karma in the Canes room has gotten them 2 points of of every three games for half the year so how bad could things be?????

I sincerely hope I am wrong and the guy competes like Sami Kapinen did for his size and scores like St Louis...

I'd like to correct one of the previos posters and straighten facts a bit. While Samsonov criticized Montreal last year he has never done it with Chicago.

Here is the quote from SunTime and Chicago's Savard:

"A former 70-point scorer with the Boston Bruins, Samsonov has taken his demotions in stride and hasn't complained about reduced ice time. Savard likes his professionalism and thinks he still can play in the NHL.

''It was a business move we made,'' Savard said. ''I'm sure, if somebody picks him up, he could help them if he's put in the right spot.''"

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hockey/blac...-hawk01.article

There was a lot going on in Montreal last year and a lot could be attributed to the Montreal media coverage that usually never praises players but first to critisize them.

While i am doubtful myself he will be able to get back the form he was in season 05-06 and prior, i still hope he finds his groove in Carolina system for the good of this team and his own sake.

...and please... the statement about Eastern Euros mentality really gets under my skin. This is nothing, but stereotype. For each lazy russian there are 10 lazy canadiens. The only difference is that numerous former first round draft picks NA players end their careers in AHL or below and never heard of again, while russians are supposed to be superstars. Busts are busts everywhere and it has nothing to do with particular nation mentality.

Hi,

It's my first post. Don't expect much from a guy uses "caniacshubby" for a name. :rolleyes: I don't know hockey -- soccer was my game. I do have a question. Re Samsonov, what's the concern for his goal scoring ability? Who was the opponent the other night with 34 assists and single digit goals? That dude scared the dickens out of me every time he touched the puck. TV made a huge deal out of his ability to create goals for others.

I read where Sammy's wrists are blown out -- no smoke on his shot. So what. If he causes Staal, Whitney, Cole, Stillman, Brindy, Hamilton, et al to up their production, who cares what he scores.

I've read comment after comment about his selfishness. It seems to be in the culture given the concern for his personal production.

I watched with more comfort than I've had in a long time as he carried the puck out of the zone and with delight as he carried it into the zone. Oh my Lord, Canes in possession in the zone. Like I said I don't know hockey but the Canes do a version of what we called "kick and run" in soccer. Kick and run was a derogatory term. Dump and chase is the same for me. It seems like a strategy for players who have little skill and no reasonable plan for controlling the puck in the zone.

I'd love to read other's thoughts on this. And don't be shy, let me have it, I'm a grown man.

I agree wholeheartedly that the Canes have no plan for puck possession when they dump and chase. It's infuriating. Samsonov creates space, as you say, but his wrists looked pretty good the other night--he even snapped off a shot that Thomas struggled to glove. I think he looked very good and can only help. Even if he doesn't score a single goal, his puck movement skills are so similar to J Williams' that it has to help.

I'd like to correct one of the previos posters and straighten facts a bit. While Samsonov criticized Montreal last year he has never done it with Chicago.

Here is the quote from SunTime and Chicago's Savard:

"A former 70-point scorer with the Boston Bruins, Samsonov has taken his demotions in stride and hasn't complained about reduced ice time. Savard likes his professionalism and thinks he still can play in the NHL.

''It was a business move we made,'' Savard said. ''I'm sure, if somebody picks him up, he could help them if he's put in the right spot.''"

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/721268,CST-SPT-hawk01.article' target="_blank">http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hockey/blac...-hawk01.article[/post]

There was a lot going on in Montreal last year and a lot could be attributed to the Montreal media coverage that usually never praises players but first to critisize them.

While i am doubtful myself he will be able to get back the form he was in season 05-06 and prior, i still hope he finds his groove in Carolina system for the good of this team and his own sake.

...and please... the statement about Eastern Euros mentality really gets under my skin. This is nothing, but stereotype. For each lazy russian there are 10 lazy canadiens. The only difference is that numerous former first round draft picks NA players end their careers in AHL or below and never heard of again, while russians are supposed to be superstars. Busts are busts everywhere and it has nothing to do with particular nation mentality.

I will assume you were referring to my post so I will respond with a couple of my own corrections and take my medicine on one point :rolleyes:

OK then there is startlingly similar set of circumstances that have results in his demotion in Ice time and on multiple teams and although not completely apropos please read the below comments... No Sane GM or Coach (insert John Torts exception here) will call a guy out as a whiner or lazy if they want some other GM to pick them up off of Waivers and save them a million or two in Salary... What would you really expect Savard to say? He all but begged someone to take him to save 800k or so

''It was a business move we made,'' Savard said. ''I'm sure, if somebody picks him up, he could help them if he's put in the right spot.''

"John Grahame didn't do anything wrong, he didn't get any support," Rutherford said. "We're just giving another guy a chance here." BTW the way not a bad word from Crackers just reported to Albany like he was asked to...

For every Russian in the NHL there are 30 Canadia(e)ns and only 10 of which are lazy... so Statistically I am right :P

I never said that East Euros were lazy... I said that many display a me first attitude instead of a team first attitude in taking criticism from Management or Media outlets. I dont think that is stereotypical at all but rather a product of upbringing and coaching in different environments and in large part of financial need...It is merely my Opinion but I havent seen too many players from Bumrush, Alberta pop 439 or Grabcheeks, MN pop 1,247 complaining about ice time or contracts or about being sent down to the minors but an inordinate amount Russians have...and continue to threaten to take their Stick and go back to the Russian Super League when things aren't going their way. Pavel Bure with the Canucks ring a bell( and yes I am aware of the circumstances)? Daytsuk with the Wings and lately of course our beloved Anton and a blast from the past; "Any of the other 29 teams in the National Hockey League could have signed him. Irbe angered management early in the season when he asked to play regularly or be traded after losing his starting job to Kevin Weekes." from the GlobeandMail.com. I was a huge fan of Irbe but you dont do that to a GM in the media.

Maybe I just conveniently forget about the Canadians or US players that do the same thing...

I have no quotes to provide but a friend of mine who is a longtime STH for the Hawks said that he SS voiced his displeasure over playing time more than once in the Chitown media interviews so maybe I was misinformed that he had been whining elsewhere besides Montreal.

I sincerely hope I am wrong and the guy turns out to be a great team guy and as with several guys Lavi and Jim have some intimate knowledge about him so they should know what they are getting. I have been impressed with his puck skills and skating...

I have no quotes to provide but a friend of mine who is a longtime STH for the Hawks said that he SS voiced his displeasure over playing time more than once in the Chitown media interviews so maybe I was misinformed that he had been whining elsewhere besides Montreal.

Bingo! I have no quotes myself, but i heard from a friend, who heard from his friend, who overheard his grandma saying to her girlfriends.... :lol:

I'd say right now SS is getting plenty of chances to get back to his old form. He has logged an average of about 19:30 in his first 2 starts, playing almost every shift with Brindy and Stiller. If he were to get put down on the Staal/Cole line, he would most likely benefit a bit more. Sammy even had more ice time than Cole in BOTH games.

I'd say right now SS is getting plenty of chances to get back to his old form. He has logged an average of about 19:30 in his first 2 starts, playing almost every shift with Brindy and Stiller. If he were to get put down on the Staal/Cole line, he would most likely benefit a bit more. Sammy even had more ice time than Cole in BOTH games.

He did play with Staal and Cole for about 5 minutes last night. The problem with that line is you put 3 goal scorers together and.... whose playmaking? You got three guys who can all score but all 3 really arent the best passers.

Samsonov Staal Stillman would be a good line... Stillman sets brindy up for so many chances brindy can't cash in... because Brindy is the same as Stiller a guy who sets the table. We got all our playmakers on on line and all our goal scorers on the next it just isnt working.

He did play with Staal and Cole for about 5 minutes last night. The problem with that line is you put 3 goal scorers together and.... whose playmaking? You got three guys who can all score but all 3 really arent the best passers.

Samsonov Staal Stillman would be a good line... Stillman sets brindy up for so many chances brindy can't cash in... because Brindy is the same as Stiller a guy who sets the table. We got all our playmakers on on line and all our goal scorers on the next it just isnt working.

good observation. I assumed Sammy was a good playmaker, as he looks to have VERY good puck handling skills. guess I was wrong

good observation. I assumed Sammy was a good playmaker, as he looks to have VERY good puck handling skills. guess I was wrong

I've always thought of him to be a finisher, but with only 2 games of watching him I cant say anything. He's put enough rubber on the net to be a finisher anyway. he's not afriad to shoot and as long as hes not afraid to shoot his goal slump will end.

we all will keep our fingers crossed... He tried to score for Habs, he tried to do it for Hawks, failed miserably both times.

I'll be happy if he starts scoring but i keep my expectations low and suggest others do the same until proven otherwise.

P.S. Great av picture Legend!!! Love it :)