The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ncz82

Canes claim Samsonov

I don't have any inside info, but after the finish he had, I doubt he would have taken a one year deal without testing free agency. My guess is it was the 3 year deal that sealed it for him. Just speculation there.

Here's another simple way of looking at it. He was signed for roughly 3rd line forward money, and he is a potential 2nd or even 1st liner. Even if he plays below his potential, he is likely to play 3rd line quality. Large upside, little downside, which tends to be JR's model, he continues to amaze me. I was surprised by the contract to be honest, it was lower than I expected.

Here's another simple way of looking at it. He was signed for roughly 3rd line forward money, and he is a potential 2nd or even 1st liner. Even if he plays below his potential, he is likely to play 3rd line quality. Large upside, little downside, which tends to be JR's model, he continues to amaze me. I was surprised by the contract to be honest, it was lower than I expected.

That's a good point. And if he does end up playing like a 1st liner (I think he will), then you have a 1st liner locked up at 3rd line money for 3 years.

So you give him a one year contract, he continues his play, say he notches 60 points, now you will have to pay more than $2.5M to retain him. Is giving him a one year deal really worth it?

I'm only going off the comments from Sergei himself, and from what he's said, I think the guy is truely happy here and has finally found a place outside of Boston that he is comfortable in. If he had problems his whole career, then yeah, the negatives have a point, but he didn't loose his skill and he proved that. He isn't lazy as some Habs fans like to say he is. I honestly think this guy has learned from his experiences in Monteral/Chicago and it will only make him a better player.

If he wants to put himself right back into the type of situation that he apparently hated in Montreal, highly-paid with high expectations from the front office and fans, let him walk in free agency and teach himself the same old lesson all over again. If he'll turn his back on the only team that gave him any type of opportunity, he isn't the type of player that needs to be here for an extended period of time anyway. All he needs to do is ask Cullen what it's like to leave a place that gave you the only real opportunity of your career for the money.

If he wants to put himself right back into the type of situation that he apparently hated in Montreal, highly-paid with high expectations from the front office and fans, let him walk in free agency and teach himself the same old lesson all over again. If he'll turn his back on the only team that gave him any type of opportunity, he isn't the type of player that needs to be here for an extended period of time anyway. All he needs to do is ask Cullen what it's like to leave a place that gave you the only real opportunity of your career for the money.

I actually think that was the point Colseylarose was making. He's done the Cullen route, collected the big money and been unhappy.

Im not sure its fair to compare his stay in Montreal with Raleigh though as they are very different type of hockey markets. Up there his every move was put under the microscope, and down here he'll be able to live a normal life with less pressure. Highy paid with high expectations plays a lot different in this market vs. up in Montreal where the pressure is about 100x what it is here. I understand the concerns people have because of his track record but I think the benefits can outweigh the risks here as long as he stays healthy.

I also would consider the fact that he is well aware that if this contract doesnt work out for him, his NHL days are done. Just saying...

I actually think that was the point Colseylarose was making. He's done the Cullen route, collected the big money and been unhappy.

Im not sure its fair to compare his stay in Montreal with Raleigh though as they are very different type of hockey markets. Up there his every move was put under the microscope, and down here he'll be able to live a normal life with less pressure. Highy paid with high expectations plays a lot different in this market vs. up in Montreal where the pressure is about 100x what it is here. I understand the concerns people have because of his track record but I think the benefits can outweigh the risks here as long as he stays healthy.

I also would consider the fact that he is well aware that if this contract doesnt work out for him, his NHL days are done. Just saying...

I was surprised by the contract to be honest, it was lower than I expected.

Much lower than I expected. How many would take a million a year cut and sign as early as he did.

As for the one year contract, why in the name of all the is holy would you want to insult Samsonov with a one year contract? Why not just say, "Thanks for being willing to take a million dollar a year pay cut, but we don't trust you. So, all we are going to do is risk one year. If one of the other teams that desperately needs a player of your caliber wants to sign you to a two or three year contract, good luck on your next team."

The guy likes it here! He's got a wife and daughter. The Canes family has got to be great for them as well. With free agency, a team, especially a team in a small market like Raleigh, better do something besides throw money at the players. Pronger left Edmonton because his wife didn't like it there. Pulling dumb stunts like thumbing your nose at players who produced in the past and present with one year offers, not only damages your present situation, but also harms you in the future. Players may not talk a lot about the management policies and attitudes of teams and GMs but their agents sure do.

Let's keep the word on the Canes one of fair treatment, fun system to play in and a great community to live in. Let's not out clever ourselves with the logic bantied about for one year contracts.

So what do you guys think, does this make the Glen Wesley trade of years ago not look quite as one sided now that we got one of the draft picks back in that trade?

So what do you guys think, does this make the Glen Wesley trade of years ago not look quite as one sided now that we got one of the draft picks back in that trade?

For the newer of us fans what about the Wesley trade had it look one-sided years ago?

BTW was JR involved in that trade? If so great character seems to be a characteristic of the people acquired by JR in trade. (Not necessarily always that way, but generally so.)

For the newer of us fans what about the Wesley trade had it look one-sided years ago?

BTW was JR involved in that trade? If so great character seems to be a characteristic of the people acquired by JR in trade. (Not necessarily always that way, but generally so.)

Either in '03 or '04 we traded Wesley to the MakeBeliefs for draft picks at the trade deadline, at the time we were either 29th or 30th in the league in points and it gave Glen a chance to compete for the cup. I think he played a couple of games, was injured, and Toronto was bounced out in the first or second round.

Kinda like a 6 degrees of separation? Kevin Bacon immediately comes to mind, lol.

Either in '03 or '04 we traded Wesley to the MakeBeliefs for draft picks at the trade deadline, at the time we were either 29th or 30th in the league in points and it gave Glen a chance to compete for the cup. I think he played a couple of games, was injured, and Toronto was bounced out in the first or second round.

I believe he was referring to the trade of Glen Wesley to the Whalers the brought the Bruins a 1st round draft pick which ended up being Sergei Samsonov. ;)

Kinda like a 6 degrees of separation? Kevin Bacon immediately comes to mind, lol.

I believe he was referring to the trade of Glen Wesley to the Whalers the brought the Bruins a 1st round draft pick which ended up being Sergei Samsonov. ;)

Man if only Sammy was 23 again lol We'd be in fantastic shape

Did Samsonov play for Edmonton in our SC run? If so did he make an impact for them?

Yes. In the regular season after being aquired from the Bruns, he played in 19 games and had 16 points (5G and 11A). In the playoffs, he played in 24 games and had 15 points (4G and 11A).

While those numbers were good, I dont remember him being the force I thought he would be in our series. And I assure you, I was watching him because I was hoping the Canes would sign him.

Did Samsonov play for Edmonton in our SC run? If so did he make an impact for them?

Yes. In the regular season after being aquired from the Bruns, he played in 19 games and had 16 points (5G and 11A). In the playoffs, he played in 24 games and had 15 points (4G and 11A).

While those numbers were good, I dont remember him being the force I thought he would be in our series. And I assure you, I was watching him because I was hoping the Canes would sign him.

Man if only Sammy was 23 again lol We'd be in fantastic shape

i think things are shaping out nicely.

brind'amour has spoken very highly of sammy. that combo could generate some real solid and entertaining hockey.

the defense has to love the signing, sergei sets the table for them. especially corvo. there were some pretty good passes that reulted in some offensive positives. despite playing a minimal amount of games.

creating space on my dvr, had to delete a few canes games. quickly reviewing them, the players that really stood out

were samsonov, staal, walker and corvo. what a great claim and what a great trade.

This is the trade which connects Wes and Sammy--and I believe it was Rutherford's 1st big trade

26-Aug-94 Boston Bruins traded Glen Wesley to the Hartford Whalers for 1st round selection (Kyle McLaren) in 1996, 1st round selection (Jonathan Aitken) in 1996 and 1st round selection (Sergei Samsonov) in 1997.