The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bourke11

Who do you want to see the Canes draft?

I haven't heard much about Robank. Just looking at the scouting reports on him, he's got great offensive instincts and a big body, but he isn't using either at the moment. Says the Oilers might grab him with their first rounder.

Where we are at the draft, it's hard to project who we'll grab, since it's based largely on who's left available. I've seen us grabbing Boychuk, Voinov, and Ennis (my personal choice).

As for Jared, I don't know if we want to grab him. He's project as a 2nd round draft choice right now, and for good reason. He's either not progessing as fast as his brothers, or just plain isn't as good as his brothers.

I haven't heard much about Robank. Just looking at the scouting reports on him, he's got great offensive instincts and a big body, but he isn't using either at the moment. Says the Oilers might grab him with their first rounder.

Where we are at the draft, it's hard to project who we'll grab, since it's based largely on who's left available. I've seen us grabbing Boychuk, Voinov, and Ennis (my personal choice).

As for Jared, I don't know if we want to grab him. He's project as a 2nd round draft choice right now, and for good reason. He's either not progessing as fast as his brothers, or just plain isn't as good as his brothers.

Then why couldnt we get Jared, and work him up in Albany...

and when he gets good a couple years later bring him up.

Because we're 14th overall, which means he'll either be picked up late in the 1st by name alone or he'll be picked up in the 2nd before he falls to us.

If he does fall to us, I've got no problem drafting him. I'll just have lower expectations for him than for the rest of his brothers.

It's funny, the elder Staal brothers all said Jared would be the best...

They're just being nice would you really call one of your brothers (regardless of whether you have one) the worst of the 4?

If Jared is still available in the 2nd round then we should probably get him, but as for the first round I have no idea who any prospects are I havent been looking yet.

Next year we need to get Tavares though.

Because we're 14th overall, which means he'll either be picked up late in the 1st by name alone or he'll be picked up in the 2nd before he falls to us.

If he does fall to us, I've got no problem drafting him. I'll just have lower expectations for him than for the rest of his brothers.

Well sorry he isnt good enough for you, and doesnt meet your expectations.

But hes pretty much in the same boat as Marc. Marc got drafted, went and played for the Wolves, and when they felt he was well trained and ready for the NHL the Rangers brought him up. We could do something like that with Jared if we were to get him. And hes been working hard to get stronger and better for the Draft, and his "future" team.

Well sorry he isnt good enough for you, and doesnt meet your expectations.

But hes pretty much in the same boat as Marc. Marc got drafted, went and played for the Wolves, and when they felt he was well trained and ready for the NHL the Rangers brought him up. We could do something like that with Jared if we were to get him. And hes been working hard to get stronger and better for the Draft, and his "future" team.

I don't think he's bashing Jared anywhere there.

But I don't think he'd work out the same as Marc, at least if we drafted him, because of the following reasons:

1.)Marc's a defenseman, Jared's a forward. Defensemen generally take longer to develop than forwards do.

2.)We've got a history of rushing prospects (Staal, Ladd, tried to rush Johnson, looks like we're going to rush Sutter), so any chance of him sticking with Sudbury for more than a season if he's drafted by the Canes is pretty unlikely.

Best player on the board at #14, unless he's a goalie.

Forward or D, the minors don't have too much blue-chip talent, and by the time the guy is ready (most likely in 2 or 3 years) the canes will be in a position to plug him in wherever he fits. My only worry is JR will draft for "need" and over-reach for a guy because he fits the position and style that JR feels the canes need the most.

I wouldn't mind a good defensive defenseman.

Staal would be good if falls down to our second-round pick. He won't, however.

Unfortunately, I don't see us grabbing a defenseman. JR's about the here and now and he'd much rather draft a fast-developing forward and trade for that elusive defenseman. You get the results, with none of the waiting. :lol:

And no, I'm not bashing Jared. I'm just going off what the scouting reports say. You know, the scouts? The people who's job it is to keep track of these things? And the scouting reports say that he's nowhere near where his brothers were at their draft day , hence why he's projected at the 2nd round instead of the 1st. And I'd be willing to bet if he didn't have the Staal surname, he'd probably be further down than the 2nd.

personally, i really hope Michael Del Zotto is still available come our pick.... if not, Tyler Myers or Nikita Fillatov...

Jared Staal really isnt a first round pick.... in fact he might not even be a 2nd rounder.... i do say we pick him up if hes available then, but please dont waste our first pick (cough*Knyazev*Kurka*Tanabe*Heerema*Tselios*DeFauw*Holdridge*Lysak*) .... we dont exactly have a brilliant drafing record.

Why do people think this team wants another Staal in the first place? They have had two other opportunities recently to pick one up in the draft and haven't made the moves to make it happen; they picked Jack Johnson over Marc Staal in '05 and didn't make the trade for Jordan Staal in '06. While some may say that the price for Jordan Staal was outrageous (rumored to be Johnson and Ladd), Jared Staal at #14 is just as outrageous.

With that said, I really like what I've read about defensive prospect Colton Teubert.

Teubert has size and skates well. He is a similar to Colton Gillis in style. He plays with energy and passion, and can play both forward and defense. Teubert uses his body well, can carry the puck out of his own zone, and is a good, all-around package. He does tend to try to cover a weaker player

i dont see why the team wouldnt want another staal. Im sure if the team knew they would have such problems with JJ that they would have easily moved down. JJ was sure to be a top dman in the NHL and the verdict was still out on Marc. JR was definitely more interested in 1 dman. With Jordan, who really knows if he was actually available for trade and what the Pens wanted for him. They might have wanted something crazy or something JR couldnt let go of.

He is too young for Albany, if we draft him his options would be make the team out of camp or be sent back to juniors.

1 improvement with Jared over his brothers. Same height, more weight. He already weighs 195. Hes gonna be a big guy. And whats is the one thing the Canes truly lack? Size. Maybe not first round material, but if hes still there in the second, grab him.

Didn't Eric say that he didn't want any of his brothers on his team? And no, I do not have a source, just off of memory.

I clearly remember at the '06 NHL Awards pre-show that they interviewed Eric and Jordan Staal on the red carpet and asked Eric what he thought of the idea of Jordan as a Hurricane. Eric didn't seem too enthused and the subject quickly changed.

As for Jared, if he is there in the second-round I think the team might as well take a chance on him. I just don't think you even consider him at #14.

Like most, I am going off memory but, I heard he was injuried and was not getting much play time. This is why he dropped in the rankings. I could be wrong but just stating what I thought I heard.

Would I want Jared on the Canes'? Not really! Not at this time. I think a player should make his own way in the sport and after a few years, if they wind up on the same teams, no problem.

Just my thoughts! ;)

I can see a draft day deal involving Cole and St. Louis (the team, not the tampa mosquito), possibly for a higher draft pick to get Schenn or Peterangelo

Alex Pietrangelo

Pos: Defenceman

Shoots: R

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 210 lbs.

Born: 01/18/1990

Hometown: King City, ON

Team: Niagara IceDogs (OHL)

Luke Schenn

Pos: Defenceman

Shoots: R

Height: 6'3"