The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bourke11

Who do you want to see the Canes draft?

JR is absolutley not going to take another young D-guy, he has said it many times that in this cap world he does not like to wait two, three and sometimes four years for a guy to develop unless he is like a Phaneuf who could step right in and play, but there are not many of those players ever available so he is most apt to go with a guy who at least has a shot at playing?

To be honest I have no idea who is out there. Haven't really made much attention, but thought I'd give my 2 cents on Jared Staal. I'll pass. I have heard that he was projected to be the best out of the 4, but something happened in these last 2 years that his development kind of slowed down, and now he's not up to par to where his brothers were at this time. I would be very surprised to see him go early in the 1st. He may go about 20th or so in the first round based on his name alone, but I wouldn't want to waste a first round pick on someone who is projected to go in the 2nd round.

Even if he's available in the 2nd, I think I'll pass. Eric doesn't seem interested in playing with his brothers. Besides we already have the best Staal. :)

Because we're 14th overall, which means he'll either be picked up late in the 1st by name alone or he'll be picked up in the 2nd before he falls to us.

If he does fall to us, I've got no problem drafting him. I'll just have lower expectations for him than for the rest of his brothers.

Ice, you're absolutely right, he's going to be drafted because of the name "Staal" Eric winning the cup two years ago, Jordan more than likely winning it this year, someone will pick him up like the word "Nike" is branded onto him. He's a product.

He plays for my hometown OHL team, from what I've seen when I saw the Sudbury Wolves play, hes lazy.

But, The Wolves are a horrible team. Maybe he had no one to work with. It'll be interesting to see where Jared goes and what he gets done.

Ice, you're absolutely right, he's going to be drafted because of the name "Staal" Eric winning the cup two years ago, Jordan more than likely winning it this year, someone will pick him up like the word "Nike" is branded onto him. He's a product.

He plays for my hometown OHL team, from what I've seen when I saw the Sudbury Wolves play, hes lazy.

But, The Wolves are a horrible team. Maybe he had no one to work with. It'll be interesting to see where Jared goes and what he gets done.

His own father was on XM being interviewed and said that Jared's development has been a little slower and isnt quite at the level his brothers were at this point. When asked about all his boys being drafted in the first round, Henry replied that Jared may or may not go in the 1st, but he has no doubt that he'll work hard and he'll develop into an NHLer wherever he ends up.

His own father was on XM being interviewed and said that Jared's development has been a little slower and isnt quite at the level his brothers were at this point. When asked about all his boys being drafted in the first round, Henry replied that Jared may or may not go in the 1st, but he has no doubt that he'll work hard and he'll develop into an NHLer wherever he ends up.

yeah, thats what you get for playing with the sudbury wolves I guess. Eric and Jordan had good OHL teams, Mark played with the wolves last year too, but last year they had quite a few good players who are in the NHL now. This year, the sudbury wolves were terrible, you play with a losing team, you develop a losing attitude. Jared can possibly be the cream of the crop, but it's quite possible that his development is just slower because of the OHL team he was with.

i dont know much about this year's prospects [i cant find my hockey news draft special...], but if he doesnt play blueline, then i dont want to draft him. period.

JR is absolutley not going to take another young D-guy, he has said it many times that in this cap world he does not like to wait two, three and sometimes four years for a guy to develop unless he is like a Phaneuf who could step right in and play, but there are not many of those players ever available so he is most apt to go with a guy who at least has a shot at playing?

Of course JR has a great history with experienced D men. Let me think - just to name a few; Danny Markov ("was going to be the foundation of our D"), Ozo, Anton Babchuck ....

JR isnt going to count on trading up for a dman to play immediately, was the point. he's not saying he's never drafting defensemen, thats just silly. clearly thats our need here in raleigh and in the farm, we've got decent forward prospects, especially after drafting sutter last year. and god knows we've got the goaltenders, with leighton, peters, nastiuk, manzato...

Without reading the whole thread ;)

I would rather the Canes draft a defenseman as that is what we clearly need.

I think our team needs 2-3 new defenseman to replace some of the age

and inconisitency there.

my 2nd choice would be to try to draft a forward who

can make the team Immediately.

Won't find anyone that will be able to play effectively at the NHL level immediately at #14. Honestly, unless there is a talent like Crosby or Ovechkin, anyone outside of the top two or three picks will have to wait atleast a year or two before they see their draft picks on their NHL team.

Maybe Jared's development was slowed because he didn't have his brothers to practice with these past few years. With Eric, Jordan, and Marc all gone playing in the NHL who's he going to learn from and get better by playing against? That's what made Eric IMO. He always had his brothers who were willing to go out and play some hockey with him. I'm sure it was much tougher for Jared to get better once his brothers left.

Maybe Jared's development was slowed because he didn't have his brothers to practice with these past few years. With Eric, Jordan, and Marc all gone playing in the NHL who's he going to learn from and get better by playing against? That's what made Eric IMO. He always had his brothers who were willing to go out and play some hockey with him. I'm sure it was much tougher for Jared to get better once his brothers left.

He and Marc Staal were on the same junior hockey team as recently as last year. This year was probably the first year there has ever been any type of distance between Jared and any of his brothers.

He and Marc Staal were on the same junior hockey team as recently as last year. This year was probably the first year there has ever been any type of distance between Jared and any of his brothers.

Yeah, but what about Jordan and Eric? Jordan has been with the penguins for two seasons now and Eric has been with the Canes for three plus a the lockout year.

So, basically, they took the final scouting rankings, turned it into a list, and just assigned players to teams based on draft order, with no consideration for what a team actually wants. Brilliant! :rolleyes:

with the number of young goaltenders we have in the system, what makes them think that we would draft another one?

Tyler Myers 6'7" Defenseman who skates very well for his size. I have seen several clips of him and have a friend who has seen him in a few games. He is currently ranked number 13 by ISS but I think he will wind up going higher so he very well may not be there at 14th unless JR moves up a little (9th-10th maybe). I truly believe that he will be very likely to be a Chris Pronger type player on the blueline in 5 years when he grows into his coordination and his body. Right now his size and being 18 makes him a tad uncoordinated but when he is twenty he will be a real force IMHO. Someone please pull this thread up in three years and tell me how right I was :)

To throw in my 2 cents...

I think Jared Staal has the potential as his brothers. Do I want him on the Canes? Not at this time. Reason is that I would feel it would be best to get his feet wet with his own organization that to be put on one of his brothers teams and have people say they are protecting him. He is a big boy and I think within 1-2 seasons he might be ready for the big arena.

Now, I would be looking at the forward first. Why? We need some more young guns wanting to prove themselves. Defense needs works yes, but as many people have said, when you get a defenseman he needs time in the minors to grow. As far a goalie? We have two in the affiliates that could be used to trade for one or bring up.

I would like to see us trade for Ty Conklin or Kolzig. Defense is already in JR's head so I will leave it there. :lol: I just wish Wesley and Hedican would make a decision and not make us wait so long.

There! That's my 2 1/2 cents...sorry :blink:

At #14, you won't find any player (forward, defense, or goaltender) that will be ready to make a NHL roster in the next year or two. Behind Doughty and Stamkos, I'd be surprised to see any '08 NHL draft picks on a NHL roster next season. The NHL system is alot closer to MLB than it is NBA or NFL in terms of prospects and the timeline for when they'll make an impact.

While that doesn't mean Rutherford won't rush another draft pick into the NHL earlier than he should be, I just don't see the need in that. This team has the ability to make itself better for the immediate future in free agency and through trades, the franchise CAN afford to wait two or three years for a defensive prospect to develop. That is the direction I think the franchise should go, someone like Colten Teubert or the already-mentioned Tyler Myers.