The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Law-Dawg

Off Season "To Do" List

I agree John Grahame should go. I think part of his problem is he did not get enough game in a row to get any consistency.

I also gree Tim Gleason should get an A.

Sergei Samsonov has been one of the best pick ups for the Canes.

I also think they Canes should consider rebuilding the blueline. I think youth in the front and the back will make this team a contender (at least for the playoffs) each year as long as Staal and Cole are here.

To me, it is imperative to get a couple of guys on the blueline who just downright intimidate players. Not goon hockey, but physicality.

I don't think that physicality was there against Florida on Friday.

Conversations between JR and the Following:

John Grahame..."First door on the left is the Exit, John. Thanks for your time"

Brett Hedican/Glen Wesley..."Guys, you both have been invaluable to the organization. Glen, we will hang #2 in the refters for you. Your consumate professioanlism, hard play and years of service to the organization will be valued for years but it is time for us to move on, rebuild the blue line and see what some of the younger guys can take on."

David Tanabe..."David, this is a business and we're in the business of trying to win games, we wish you the best in your recovery, but we have to move on without you."

Tim Gleason..."Tim, you're wearing the A on your sweater next year, let's see what you can do."

Dennis Seidenburg..."Dennis, we loved what you did when you were healthy, get some rest and then get ready to see some serious ice time, we want you in the best shape of your life come September."

Sergei Samsonov..."Here's a 3 year deal"

Rod Brind Amour...Rod, this is your team and you will wear the "C" for as long as you want. That being said, we loved what Eric did when you went down and we loved how the troops responded to his leadership. Tell me what you think..."

Eric Staal...Eric, Rod has something to give you...this is your team now, let's see what you do with it.

Who is Eric Staal?

My bad for typing before I had enough coffee in my system...THANK GOD FOR THE GRAMMAR POLICE!!!

I also forgot to have JR show Wallin the door as well. That gives us Kaberle, Corvo, Seidenburg, Conboy and Gleason with 3 to grab in the FA market. Aaron Ward wants to come back and I think he'd be a nice fit for a 1 year deal...gritty, shot blocker, smart D-Man who we could probably get at a decent price.

Tough decisions to make about the Rats..aren't Aucoin and Bayda in contract years? With Brindy, Williams, Eaves and LaRose healthy I don't see them geting a roster spot.

Please let me know if I have made any other spelling errors.

My bad for typing before I had enough coffee in my system...THANK GOD FOR THE GRAMMAR POLICE!!!

I also forgot to have JR show Wallin the door as well. That gives us Kaberle, Corvo, Seidenburg, Conboy and Gleason with 3 to grab in the FA market. Aaron Ward wants to come back and I think he'd be a nice fit for a 1 year deal...gritty, shot blocker, smart D-Man who we could probably get at a decent price.

Tough decisions to make about the Rats..aren't Aucoin and Bayda in contract years? With Brindy, Williams, Eaves and LaRose healthy I don't see them geting a roster spot.

Seidenberg. Sorry. I had to.

With Brindy, Williams, Eaves and LaRose healthy I don't see them geting a roster spot.

Why would we give up Williams and Eaves? Williams can get 30-40 goal season.. now Eaves when hes healthy can also have an explosing season..

Why would we give up Williams and Eaves? Williams can get 30-40 goal season.. now Eaves when hes healthy can also have an explosing season..

I don't think he meant that. He meant Aucoin/Bayda not getting a slot with Brindy, Williams, Eaves, LaRose healthy. But, I've been wrong 2x already today.

I hate accountants.

The problem with putting them on the 4th line is that they've shown they need at least 3rd line minutes to be productive. We've used Aucoin and Bayda on the 4th line in the past, and they've done a whole lot of nothing.

The problem with putting them on the 4th line is that they've shown they need at least 3rd line minutes to be productive. We've used Aucoin and Bayda on the 4th line in the past, and they've done a whole lot of nothing.

I guess so.. So im gonna guess their gonna be sent down.. but they've done so much for this team with scott walker they might just got a spot on the team..

Conversations between JR and the Following:

John Grahame..."First door on the left is the Exit, John. Thanks for your time"

Brett Hedican/Glen Wesley..."Guys, you both have been invaluable to the organization. Glen, we will hang #2 in the refters for you. Your consumate professioanlism, hard play and years of service to the organization will be valued for years but it is time for us to move on, rebuild the blue line and see what some of the younger guys can take on."

David Tanabe..."David, this is a business and we're in the business of trying to win games, we wish you the best in your recovery, but we have to move on without you."

Tim Gleason..."Tim, you're wearing the A on your sweater next year, let's see what you can do."

Dennis Seidenburg..."Dennis, we loved what you did when you were healthy, get some rest and then get ready to see some serious ice time, we want you in the best shape of your life come September."

Sergei Samsonov..."Here's a 3 year deal"

Rod Brind Amour...Rod, this is your team and you will wear the "C" for as long as you want. That being said, we loved what Eric did when you went down and we loved how the troops responded to his leadership. Tell me what you think..."

Eric Staal...Eric, Rod has something to give you...this is your team now, let's see what you do with it.

Hedican could get that conversation but Wesley won't. The converstaion with Wesley will be "Do you want to renew your one year deal?" Because at his price he is the best value at defenseman this team has and if he wants to keep playing his role there is no reason to stop him from doing it.

Tanabe will be given every chance to stay and he can't be bought out given his medical problems. See the N&O http://Link' target="_blank">http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/index....p;tb=1&pb=1[/post].

JR better beware of giving Samsonov a long term deal. I liked what he brought to the table but given his history, unless he takes a major pay cut three years could be an eternity if he returns to his pre-hurricanes post lockout form. Personally I'd love to see something like a one year with team options for a second and third year but I doubt Samsonov would sign that. I'm hoping the initial offer wil be a year or maybe two.

JR won't undercut Brind'Amour like that, its possible that you could see a transfer but if it happens it will be because Brind'Amour brought it up, the team owes him too much to even sound like they are going to strip him of his captaincy.

Wallin won't be shown the door. #1 he can't be since he's got a no trade clause. #2 he is still a bargai at 1.75 million, you're not going to find a better defenseman on the Free Agent market for that price.

Is it possible to add length clauses on deals? Sign Sergei to a 1-year deal, then add a year if he can reach "X" points. Add another year if he can reach "X" goals. Love to see something like that.

Though, it may just be too much pressure to perform for him.

Is it possible to add length clauses on deals? Sign Sergei to a 1-year deal, then add a year if he can reach "X" points. Add another year if he can reach "X" goals. Love to see something like that.

But maybe he needs that pressure to preform?.. Or maybe he'll get back in a Shell and not play to his fullest

I hate accountants.

HEY!! :angry:

I agree with most everything that has been said, with the exception of Wallin (and the accountant comment of course). He had a bit of an off year, but he's a good hard-working, stay-at-home guy who doesn't make a whole lot of mistakes. He also takes the body with some regularity and isn't afraid to battle it out in the corners. It is easy to overlook him, though, given his tendency to avoid attention. We wouldn't do much better on the free agent market without paying more than we should, so I say as long as he wants to stay, he's welcome to do so.

HEY!! :angry:

I agree with most everything that has been said, with the exception of Wallin (and the accountant comment of course).... who doesn't make a whole lot of mistakes...

Wallin doesn't make a lot of mistakes? You mean when he's not playing hockey, right?

On ice, he has made some flat-out vomit-inducing errors out there.

#1 Priority on JRs list should be defense. Call Gleason's agent find out what he wants and get it done. Build your D around Gleason. I've always been an advocate of Gleason wearing the A, but he isn't there yet. Ask Wes if he wants to give it a go one more time. If yes, sign him. Buy out Wallin's contract. Don't care if he is the secret weapon he has sucked the last 2 months and when you suck more than Kaberle, bye bye. Sign Seidenberg as the 6th or 7th defensmean. Either trade a top forward for a defensman to pair with Gleason or acquire one via FA using Hedican's money.

#2 Priority on JRs list should be back up goalie. Nothing against Grahame, but he isn't the guy. Not even sure if Leighton is. Sure Leighton was awesome in Albany, but that's not the problem. He's been awesome in the AHL, its putting those numbers up in the NHL that is his problem and why he has bounced from team to team and can't stick at this level. I haven't even looked at which goalies are FAs July 1st, but possibly get a veteran guy in here that can help Cam and get you a few wins here and there.

#3 Priority on JRs list should be Offense. Figure out what to do with the glut of fowards we have. Do you make a trade for a defenseman? Do you re-sign Samsonov (i would but only a 1-2 year deal and not more than $2M per)? What about Ruutu? LaRose? Letowski? What to do with Hamilton? Personally I'd give LaRose a contract and Letowski if he wants it. Use these guys as your 4th line energy PK guys. Personally I think a trade will be done to sure up the defense as I don't see us winning the negotiation wars in Free Agency. Package Hamilton with a top 6 forward for that. Eaves, Ruutu gotta sign and keep. We didn't make these trades for nothing. Sadly I think it'll be Williams or Cole being the odd men out. Staal and Brindy are untouchable. Walker has a NTC as I believe Whitney does. Ruutu and Eaves were brought to this team for a reason. Cullen well we'll just leave that one alone.

Wasn't sure if Wallin's contract was up, and he's not aftraid to use that NTC as we've seen before. Although he plays well at times, there are many mistakes and bad penalties at bad times that have hurt this team. If Wes wants to come back for one more year, I'm okay with that; however, I'd like to see us do what we've done on the offensive side...this team is absolutely LOADED with young talent now (Staal, Williams, Eaves, Ruutu, Cole, LaRose etc.) and I'd like to see us go in that direction sooner rather than later on the blue line. If Wallin's in the 3rd pairing/healthy scratch, I'm fine with that but solidifying the blue-line, finding a capable backup goalie (not sure Leighton is ready yet...although) and signing Samsonov to a deal as a 2nd/3rd line winger are priorities. If Samsonov wants superstar $ then good riddance.

Wasn't sure if Wallin's contract was up, and he's not aftraid to use that NTC as we've seen before. Although he plays well at times, there are many mistakes and bad penalties at bad times that have hurt this team. If Wes wants to come back for one more year, I'm okay with that; however, I'd like to see us do what we've done on the offensive side...this team is absolutely LOADED with young talent now (Staal, Williams, Eaves, Ruutu, Cole, LaRose etc.) and I'd like to see us go in that direction sooner rather than later on the blue line. If Wallin's in the 3rd pairing/healthy scratch, I'm fine with that but solidifying the blue-line, finding a capable backup goalie (not sure Leighton is ready yet...although) and signing Samsonov to a deal as a 2nd/3rd line winger are priorities. If Samsonov wants superstar $ then good riddance.

Here's a link for the Hurricanes and contracts:

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CAR''>http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CAR' target="_blank">http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CAR[/post]

Thats called an incentive laden contract and I believe they're reserved more for the older vets like Shanahan to help circumvent the salary cap. Dont know what the actual rules are about them.

Samsonov should stay consistent if the system and his center stays in tact, its custom made for his style of play. I see hin re-signing here at a reasonable price.

Thats called an incentive laden contract and I believe they're reserved more for the older vets like Shanahan to help circumvent the salary cap. Dont know what the actual rules are about them.

Samsonov should stay consistent if the system and his center stays in tact, its custom made for his style of play. I see hin re-signing here at a reasonable price.

Wallin doesn't make a lot of mistakes? You mean when he's not playing hockey, right?

On ice, he has made some flat-out vomit-inducing errors out there.

You mean, like that one time where Nicky scored an open netter in OUR goal? Like that? ;)

I know this will sound kinda ludacris,

But I think we lost down the stretch because of John Grahame in a way.

Since john has been here, he has not played well.

With that being said, I think Cam was getting worn down but I don't think Lavi had the trust to put ghrame in the net.

I don't think because of what he was going through before he got here he can ask for that much. He's a great player but he hasn't before he got here played like he was a high payed player.

I know this will sound kinda ludacris,

But I think we lost down the stretch because of John Grahame in a way.

Since john has been here, he has not played well.

With that being said, I think Cam was getting worn down but I don't think Lavi had the trust to put ghrame in the net.

That's exactly why in the off-season the goaltending issue needs to be addressed. We need to get a reliable back-up. I bet it would help Cam out knowing that the goaltending fate doesn't rest solely on his shoulders if times get tough.

I'm all for Leighton in a few years, but until he gets a bit more experience under his belt I think we should play the market and see who we can get for a reasonable price.