The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Law-Dawg

Off Season "To Do" List

I know this will sound kinda ludacris,

But I think we lost down the stretch because of John Grahame in a way.

Since john has been here, he has not played well.

With that being said, I think Cam was getting worn down but I don't think Lavi had the trust to put ghrame in the net.

So to go along with this topic, is your "to do" list to replace Grahame?

With that being said, I think Cam was getting worn down but I don't think Lavi had the trust to put ghrame in the net.

So to go along with this topic, is your "to do" list to replace Grahame?

In my view, it's a very reasonable observation. We didn't have any backup goalie to play even for a game to give Ward a night off. Ward should have found the resources within himself to come up big on the stops against Florida; but if Carolina had a backup goalie, the odds go up that Ward would have been fully rested. We need Ward to make ony one stop to get into overtime and the odds were in our favor in overtime.

Yes, I need to see a list of off-season goaltenders but maybe Leighton could be the answer?

Maybe so but he's unproven at the NHL level. IMO, Cam needs a proven vet who can give him a break, keep him challenged and help in his development.

Yes, I need to see a list of off-season goaltenders but maybe Leighton could be the answer?

Maybe so but he's unproven at the NHL level. IMO, Cam needs a proven vet who can give him a break, keep him challenged and help in his development.

I'm going to go look at all vet UFA goalies.

Off Season "To Do" List:

Season tickets next year paid for - check

Break 85 - BY GOD I WILL BREAK 85 THIS SUMMER

Read gripe after gripe and chuckle - in progress

Mow lawn.

http://www.sportscity.com/NHL/NHL-Free-Agents-by-Position-2008/#Goalie' target="_blank">http://www.sportscity.com/NHL/NHL-Free-Age...on-2008/#Goalie[/post]

First we got to resign Leighton

then sign either

David Aebischer

or

Jose Theodore

and with this NHL UFA Class, he can improve our d line.

I think Jose Theodore could be a great acquisition for this team. However, is he in our price range? Although, I guess that will be determined in the end by who resigns, who gets a raise, and who walks. Yeah, my vote is for Theodore.

Absolutely...capable backup for Ward should be at the top of the list...Brent Johnson could be an option to consider with Huet and Kolzig in the top spots in Washington. The Bruins will have a decision to make next year with Thomas, Auld and Fernandez in the mix...one of those 3 would be available and would give quality starts.

Canes Marketing department to do list:

Come up with a more creative marketing plan and figure out how to take advantage of all the huge corporations there are around here. Offer more specialty type promotional nights(not necessarily give aways), especially on those nights when we have more out of area "visitors".

Offer "family game packages" which include food coupons and parking for a family of 4 or more.

The Bruins offer a "hatrick package" during the season. Its a group of three games and includes two tix for each of the three games and a Bruins hat in a gift box. Great Christmas gifts.

These type of promotions should be oferred all season long.

Come up with a more creative marketing plan and figure out how to take advantage of all the huge corporations there are around here. Offer more specialty type promotional nights(not necessarily give aways), especially on those nights when we have more out of area "visitors".

Offer "family game packages" which include food coupons and parking for a family of 4 or more.

The Bruins offer a "hatrick package" during the season. Its a group of three games and includes two tix for each of the three games and a Bruins hat in a gift box. Great Christmas gifts.

These type of promotions should be oferred all season long.

I'll add for the people who do the music, change the songs when an opponent scores on us.

maybe "it's not over" by Chris Daughtrey

I'll add for the people who do the music, change the songs when an opponent scores on us.

maybe "it's not over" by Chris Daughtrey

Oh, god. No Daughtry. Anything but that. But I agree. There should be some music changes here and there. Not too many. There are some pretty classic songs that get played, but some of the songs could afford to be deleted from rotation. I mean, Shania Twain for a goal against? Come on!

#1 Priority on JRs list should be defense. Call Gleason's agent find out what he wants and get it done. Build your D around Gleason. I've always been an advocate of Gleason wearing the A, but he isn't there yet. Ask Wes if he wants to give it a go one more time. If yes, sign him. Buy out Wallin's contract. Don't care if he is the secret weapon he has sucked the last 2 months and when you suck more than Kaberle, bye bye. Sign Seidenberg as the 6th or 7th defensmean. Either trade a top forward for a defensman to pair with Gleason or acquire one via FA using Hedican's money.

#2 Priority on JRs list should be back up goalie. Nothing against Grahame, but he isn't the guy. Not even sure if Leighton is. Sure Leighton was awesome in Albany, but that's not the problem. He's been awesome in the AHL, its putting those numbers up in the NHL that is his problem and why he has bounced from team to team and can't stick at this level. I haven't even looked at which goalies are FAs July 1st, but possibly get a veteran guy in here that can help Cam and get you a few wins here and there.

#3 Priority on JRs list should be Offense. Figure out what to do with the glut of fowards we have. Do you make a trade for a defenseman? Do you re-sign Samsonov (i would but only a 1-2 year deal and not more than $2M per)? What about Ruutu? LaRose? Letowski? What to do with Hamilton? Personally I'd give LaRose a contract and Letowski if he wants it. Use these guys as your 4th line energy PK guys. Personally I think a trade will be done to sure up the defense as I don't see us winning the negotiation wars in Free Agency. Package Hamilton with a top 6 forward for that. Eaves, Ruutu gotta sign and keep. We didn't make these trades for nothing. Sadly I think it'll be Williams or Cole being the odd men out. Staal and Brindy are untouchable. Walker has a NTC as I believe Whitney does. Ruutu and Eaves were brought to this team for a reason. Cullen well we'll just leave that one alone.

Corvo was brought here for a reason. Eaves was a throw in player.

Corvo was brought here for a reason. Eaves was a throw in player.

No, that isn't true. They needed to get younger and faster in the top 6/9 and Eaves had been a coveted player by the Canes. The Sens didn't want to give him up but when Ottawa decided they wanted both Commodore and Stillman, they had to include Eaves - hardly a throw-in.

Ordered by time; not priority.

#1) Take care of Gleason. He embodies everything I like about our defense. He's a future A, and was arguably our best dman this year.

#2) Take care of Sammy. He's proven he is an NHL-caliber player, he's well liked by the team and the fans, he puts up points, and he's our best puck-handler. It's painfully obvious he fits the Canes style of play. Sign him to a 2 year or a 1 year with incentives. I WANT TO SEE HIM BACK NEXT SEASON.

#3) Time for Hedican to hang up the skates. I'm really gonna miss the guy and I hate the way his last game had to play out, but he has a lot to be proud of and he will always be remembered.

#4) Ask Wesley if he has another year in him. Although he has slowed down a little, he stays healthy, he's a leader with veteran experience of the biggest kind, and we watched him shutdown players like Ovechkin and Crosby throughout this season. We need him back.

#5) Take care of Seidenberg. He improved big time this year and even after coming back from several weeks of an ankle injury, he still looked good. He only improved with every game he played this year and has shown a lot of potential. We definitely need to bring him back.

#6) Take care of Letowski, Bayda, Aucoin, and Rosey. Trevor stepped in late this season and filled some very large shoes and he did an admirable job. He didn't put up a lot of goals, but a lot of his goals were huge in nature. He may have stolen the "Secret Weapon" title from Wallin this year. Bayda and Aucoin - don't put them on the 4th line. Either put them on the 3rd line with Walker next year or keep them in Albany. Hopefully no up-and-down will happen next year (read: hopefully no injuries next year that force them to come up, go down, come up, repeat ad nausea). Rosey - do I really need to explain why we need to take care of him?

#7) Either put Kaberle through a rigorous workout routine this summer and put some muscle on him that he won't be afraid to use or try and move him. Which leads me to...

#8) Improve our defense corps. Try to move Kaberle and Wallin. Ruutu and Eaves could help us here. I love Ruutu, I do want to see him back, but more than I want to see him come back, I want to see our D improve. Eaves; haven't seen enough of the guy so I don't mind parting with him. Do not bring Commodore back - no offense to Commie; simply too many boneheaded penalties and pinches this year. I would not be against bringing A. Ward back. He's physical, blocks shots, fits in well with the team, and he lives in Raleigh; he makes good sense.

#9) If the d-corps sees improvement this summer, bring Grahame back for 2 years. If there are little changes to the D, don't bring Grahame back. I'm convinced Grahame would be a solid backup if he had defensemen who took better care of the puck.

#10) Make room on the 4th line for Brookbank and bring him back. We cannot be pushed around next season like we did this year and suffer the same injury scenario. This team needs an enforcer and Wade showed us why. This should be non-negotiable between J.R. and Lavi IMO. J.R. should keep Brooks regardless of Lavi's take. The team has to have him from game 1.

#10) Make room on the 4th line for Brookbank and bring him back. We cannot be pushed around next season like we did this year and suffer the same injury scenario. This team needs an enforcer and Wade showed us why. This should be non-negotiable between J.R. and Lavi IMO. J.R. should keep Brooks regardless of Lavi's take. The team has to have him from game 1.

I completely agree with this. The difference in how teams acted toward us when Brookbank was in the playoffs and when he wasn't was amazing. He is worth the spot on the bench if it will prevent injuries. Broobank needs to be ON the bench, not scratched.

Conversations between JR and the Following:

John Grahame..."First door on the left is the Exit, John. Thanks for your time"

Brett Hedican/Glen Wesley..."Guys, you both have been invaluable to the organization. Glen, we will hang #2 in the refters for you. Your consumate professioanlism, hard play and years of service to the organization will be valued for years but it is time for us to move on, rebuild the blue line and see what some of the younger guys can take on."

David Tanabe..."David, this is a business and we're in the business of trying to win games, we wish you the best in your recovery, but we have to move on without you."

Tim Gleason..."Tim, you're wearing the A on your sweater next year, let's see what you can do."

Dennis Seidenburg..."Dennis, we loved what you did when you were healthy, get some rest and then get ready to see some serious ice time, we want you in the best shape of your life come September."

Sergei Samsonov..."Here's a 3 year deal"

Rod Brind Amour...Rod, this is your team and you will wear the "C" for as long as you want. That being said, we loved what Eric did when you went down and we loved how the troops responded to his leadership. Tell me what you think..."

Eric Staal...Eric, Rod has something to give you...this is your team now, let's see what you do with it.

I agree that we should let Grahame go, and i really think we should bring up Leighton

I dont know what to say about Tanabe, he is a good player but its hard to tell how or if he will recover.

I dont know why you think Gleason should get an A, seeing as you don't see anything that happens in the locker room. The coaches see what we as the fans don't, thats why they choose the a's.

I feel like its time for rod to retire but, he surely does not want to end his career like this. missing almost half of a season is not the way to go out. I think we will see him for another year.

Cant wait to see Samsonov with a contract.

#9) If the d-corps sees improvement this summer, bring Grahame back for 2 years. If there are little changes to the D, don't bring Grahame back. I'm convinced Grahame would be a solid backup if he had defensemen who took better care of the puck.

I was just listening to John Forslund on The Fan...a recording anyway. He said we need to bring in a veteran goaltender who can challenge Cam as well. He specifically said "a guy that will be better than John Grahame has been over the last two years."

I was just listening to John Forslund on The Fan...a recording anyway. He said we need to bring in a veteran goaltender who can challenge Cam as well. He specifically said "a guy that will be better than John Grahame has been over the last two years."

Forslund is a GENIUS.

but to be honest with you, I think Cam Ward was starting to early. I think we should bring in a goalie who can be #1 and Ward has to push to become the starter. He'll want to work harder because he knows what it's like to be #1 and once your #1 you don't want to be #2.

i think brookbank needs to take up some boxing lessons this summer....if he's going to be another enforcer then he cant have anymore of his middle school fights

#1 Priority on JRs list should be defense. Call Gleason's agent find out what he wants and get it done. Build your D around Gleason. I've always been an advocate of Gleason wearing the A, but he isn't there yet. Ask Wes if he wants to give it a go one more time. If yes, sign him. Buy out Wallin's contract. Don't care if he is the secret weapon he has sucked the last 2 months and when you suck more than Kaberle, bye bye. Sign Seidenberg as the 6th or 7th defensmean. Either trade a top forward for a defensman to pair with Gleason or acquire one via FA using Hedican's money.

#2 Priority on JRs list should be back up goalie. Nothing against Grahame, but he isn't the guy. Not even sure if Leighton is. Sure Leighton was awesome in Albany, but that's not the problem. He's been awesome in the AHL, its putting those numbers up in the NHL that is his problem and why he has bounced from team to team and can't stick at this level. I haven't even looked at which goalies are FAs July 1st, but possibly get a veteran guy in here that can help Cam and get you a few wins here and there.

#3 Priority on JRs list should be Offense. Figure out what to do with the glut of fowards we have. Do you make a trade for a defenseman? Do you re-sign Samsonov (i would but only a 1-2 year deal and not more than $2M per)? What about Ruutu? LaRose? Letowski? What to do with Hamilton? Personally I'd give LaRose a contract and Letowski if he wants it. Use these guys as your 4th line energy PK guys. Personally I think a trade will be done to sure up the defense as I don't see us winning the negotiation wars in Free Agency. Package Hamilton with a top 6 forward for that. Eaves, Ruutu gotta sign and keep. We didn't make these trades for nothing. Sadly I think it'll be Williams or Cole being the odd men out. Staal and Brindy are untouchable. Walker has a NTC as I believe Whitney does. Ruutu and Eaves were brought to this team for a reason. Cullen well we'll just leave that one alone.

I like your ideas, though I could deal with Wallin staying he doesnt seem terrible to me. As for goalies Ty Conklin is a UFA, Pascal Leclaire is a RFA, and Cristobal Huet is a UFA. However I dont see us getting Huet/Leclaire to come be our back up since theyve been starters for most of this year. I could see us landing Conklin however considering he was usually the back up, and is cheap as mess! Heck maybe he could even challenge Cam which would make him work even harder.