The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
acaniac

Laviolette Staying (now confirmed)

I'm with ya on this on TSA. I see no reason why Lavi doesn't start the season as the coach. Now if they want to make changes with the defense coach *cough McCarthy cough* I have no problems with that.

And yes JR get Timmay locked up now.

And I really wouldn't be opposed to giving Staal an extension over the summer either.

And I really wouldn't be opposed to giving Staal an extension over the summer either.

Wouldnt be a bad idea because he's gonna cost A LOT of money.

Wouldnt be a bad idea because he's gonna cost A LOT of money.

I've been wondering what if the players turned around while on the bench to try to rile the crowd sort of like how college football and basketball players do.

AND, if you are in the penality box at home for an acceptable penality (e.g. roughing, fighting where deserved), you stand and egg the crowd on....

I don't think the players should do this at all. College athletes are still pretty much kids (in relation to older professional athletes) and are playing in front of their friends and classmates, who are standing the entire game, and cheering non-stop anyway, so i think it's fine if they do that.

But the Hurricanes are a professional hockey team, older and more mature than college athletes. Hockey is their business, heck, they show up and leave the arena in suits. They should act professionally.

But back on the topic of Lavi, someone made a good comment on the news and observer article online about Lavi today. Copied from the website:

"Come on Jimmy,

Do you really think there is a MUCH BETTER coach than Lavi sitting around in some fishing boat or in his recliner waiting on your call? If you want to destroy the fanbase in this area, then fire Lavi, otherwise, swallow your disappointment and move on. You already have let him know he is on a short leash, so quit leading him and us on and welcome him back!"

But back on the topic of Lavi, someone made a good comment on the news and observer article online about Lavi today. Copied from the website:

"Come on Jimmy,

Do you really think there is a MUCH BETTER coach than Lavi sitting around in some fishing boat or in his recliner waiting on your call? If you want to destroy the fanbase in this area, then fire Lavi, otherwise, swallow your disappointment and move on. You already have let him know he is on a short leash, so quit leading him and us on and welcome him back!"

I agree,SCF... Do you think any players are hanging their decisions on trying the open market based on if Lavi stays or goes? :o

Everyday I check the Canes site for the announcement that Lavi will be back...Come on JR, stop keeping him swinging in the breeze - make it official and bring him back!

We need Lavi back but we need to let him pick his own special teams and D coach, McCarty and Daniels days are over.

We need Lavi back but we need to let him pick his own special teams and D coach, McCarty and Daniels days are over.

I agree 100% C97. You were the first one who pointed out to me that Lavi inherited McCarthy and Daniels from Mo. He needs to be able to replace them to help prove himself this season. We do need an assistant coach for special teams, we really sucked at those the last 2 years and this is what your assistants should be doing. I would love Wesley for D coach, any ideas who would be a good assistant for special teams coach in the league? Does Rowe have good special teams on the Rats team? Goalies and special teams is the key to a championship!

Although Karmanos will be meeting with Laviolette and JR, this was Jr's quote in the N&O today regarding the head coach position:

"There's no change from my point of view," Rutherford said. "I don't have anything to comment on. Everything is the same."

Laviolette has three years left on the contract extension he signed in June 2006.

Although Karmanos will be meeting with Laviolette and JR, this was Jr's quote in the N&O today regarding the head coach position:

"There's no change from my point of view," Rutherford said. "I don't have anything to comment on. Everything is the same."

Laviolette has three years left on the contract extension he signed in June 2006.

The whole Lavi thing has got me really nervous. Lavi won't speak to the press, JR says everything is the same. What is the same, JR?

I still stand my ground that firing Lavi would NOT be the right thing to do right now.

Let's just get it figured out and make a decision already, jeez we are starting to be like Toronto :lol:

EDIT: Here's Spector's response and well he's right on IMHO:

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Hopefully Laviolette will be returning with the club next season. It wasn't his fault that his team's blueline corps was lacking in depth this season, and the club made a strong run down the stretch narrowly missing a playoff berth. With a stronger defense the Hurricanes will be a playoff team.

I don't get this letting Lavi twist in the wind thing. PK must have been ready to fire him if he needed time to cool down from the emotions of it. Maybe this is their way of letting him know he's on thin ice, but I don't see what purpose it serves. JR says "everything is the same", but won't say "Lavi's our guy". How can Laviollette comment when there is nothing said to comment on.

I think this is ridiculous. They're not going to fire him. Just clear things up and get behind him already. They can always fire him if we get off to a bad start. Anyone understand the motivation for this, is it really just letting the emotions clear?

I don't get this letting Lavi twist in the wind thing. PK must have been ready to fire him if he needed time to cool down from the emotions of it. Maybe this is their way of letting him know he's on thin ice, but I don't see what purpose it serves. JR says "everything is the same", but won't say "Lavi's our guy". How can Laviollette comment when there is nothing said to comment on.

I think this is ridiculous. They're not going to fire him. Just clear things up and get behind him already. They can always fire him if we get off to a bad start. Anyone understand the motivation for this, is it really just letting the emotions clear?

They may want to wait and see what other coaches are on the market before they decide to commit to Laviolette for another year.

Just came across this on my yahoo sports page: Read this

It's Tuesday already...when are they going to meet and get this thing settled? I truly hate the wait for Laviolette, either way. Hopefully he'll be back behind the bench with healthy players and a tweeked D.

Looking at everyone else who was fired, I'm not too worried about the situation now. Even if Lavi gets the axe, there's always Wilson we could grab.

I am, I dont want a Barry Melrose (has been) or a Bob Hartley (goon style) behind the Canes bench. Ron Wilson....maybe, but definately not the others.

And I sure as heck dont want to see Laviolette behind the bench in Florida or Atlanta.

Looking at everyone else who was fired, I'm not too worried about the situation now. Even if Lavi gets the axe, there's always Wilson we could grab.

I am, I dont want a Barry Melrose (has been) or a Bob Hartley (goon style) behind the Canes bench. Ron Wilson....maybe, but definately not the others.

And I sure as heck dont want to see Laviolette behind the bench in Florida or Atlanta.

I'm with TSA on this one. Out of all the coaches who have been fired or available, Lavi is the best out of them all IMHO. I don't think firing the best available coach and him going to Florida or Atlanta will do anything to help this team. Get the guy a defense to work with and we are in the playoffs its as simple as that. When Wilson called out Marleau in last year's playoffs, half the team quit listening to him then, its not surprise he got the ax now, he should have last year. The team hasn't stopped listening to Lavi, so it make no sense to fire him and pick up a worse coach.

EDIT: if they decide to fire Lavi, then they better go hard for Quenneville. He would be the only available I would go after. But with that said, Lavi is still a better coach then him IMHO.

Wilson is a good coach. Not sure any team could have gotten past Detroit though. Would not be surprised to see him will land back in the Southeast division, Atlanta or Florida. He did a good job with the Caps when he was there. If the Canes do decide to let Lavi go, Wilson would be a good match for the Canes. He is about the only candidate out there that I see that has the best chance of being a step up if Lavi is let go. All the other are a step to the side or a step down.

I'm with TSA on this one. Out of all the coaches who have been fired or available, Lavi is the best out of them all IMHO. I don't think firing the best available coach and him going to Florida or Atlanta will do anything to help this team. Get the guy a defense to work with and we are in the playoffs its as simple as that. When Wilson called out Marleau in last year's playoffs, half the team quit listening to him then, its not surprise he got the ax now, he should have last year. The team hasn't stopped listening to Lavi, so it make no sense to fire him and pick up a worse coach.

EDIT: if they decide to fire Lavi, then they better go hard for Quenneville. He would be the only available I would go after. But with that said, Lavi is still a better coach then him IMHO.

Funny, just heard Bill Clement and Phil Esposito talk about this and they both agreed that JR would be crazy to fire Laviolette. They said they heard some rumblings "out of Carolina" (meaning they read blogs too) but think its only rumblings. Interesting that they both did agree that if JR thinks the team needs to hear a new voice and lets Laviolette go, he will become the most sought after coach out there above ALL others incuding Pat Burns, Quennville and Wilson.

What I didnt know about Ron Wilson was that according to Bill Clement, he has a short shelf life as a coach because he's "sharped tongued" with the players and they tend to tune him out over time.

Not exactly what I think we need here in NC and I really dont think Laviolette has lost the room yet, but that's just my opinion.

Funny, just heard Bill Clement and Phil Esposito talk about this and they both agreed that JR would be crazy to fire Laviolette. They said they heard some rumblings "out of Carolina" (meaning they read blogs too) but think its only rumblings. Interesting that they both did agree that if JR thinks the team needs to hear a new voice and lets Laviolette go, he will become the most sought after coach out there above ALL others incuding Pat Burns, Quennville and Wilson.

What I didnt know about Ron Wilson was that according to Bill Clement, he has a short shelf life as a coach because he's "sharped tongued" with the players and they tend to tune him out over time.

Not exactly what I think we need here in NC and I really dont think Laviolette has lost the room yet, but that's just my opinion.

Wilson is the only one that I want of the bunch listed. I also like Quenville, I think he is a good coach

that got shafted like Wilson and if Lavi gets fired him too.

Hartley sucks and Melrose has been out of hockey for over 10 years. I would

rather have Melrose do the color on the Canes games on TV maybe as an upgrade of

Tracy

Obviously I'm hoping that Lavi stays, but I'm saying it's not looking like the end of the world if he is let go. Q and Wilson are acceptable replacements, and I'm sure they'd rather be coaching here than Florida or Atlanta.

I think Rowe would be a fantastic candidate as an assistant coach who can work with the defense. However, after Albany's poor offensive and special teams performance in the playoffs, I don't know if he would be the best fit as a head coach for a team that is as reliant on it's offense as the Hurricanes are.

Obviously I'm hoping that Lavi stays, but I'm saying it's not looking like the end of the world if he is let go. Q and Wilson are acceptable replacements, and I'm sure they'd rather be coaching here than Florida or Atlanta.

I'd take Wilson, but it'd be in the Hurricanes' best interest to stay away from Q. Q wouldn't know what to do with the offense, he's a defensive guy. Q's also got an unfortunate habit of playing favorites... imagine if he had a liking to Kaberle... :ph34r: