The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
acaniac

Laviolette Staying (now confirmed)

I'd still let him keep the job at the beginning of the season but obviously on a tight leash, anything like a November and December is inexcusable. He did redeem himself by doing as well as he did despite the injuries.....however, when we were healthy we did still struggle for like two whole months and ultimately cost us the season, cause if we played decently during that time the SouthEast race wouldn't have been close.

Also i agree that he wasn't equipped with good defensemen, bringing in Corvo made a huge difference, just one pretty good offensive defensemen , the guy wasn't even an all star.

Why not also look to Albany? Tom Rowe has been with the organization since Carolina was in Lowell he also has produced some solid players to step into Carolina. He also has a well established relationship with the organization, and have heard good things about him from players who have played for him.
If I may add to this I think Tom is a wonderfull coach and make a great coach for the Canes. I think he would. Tom is one of those coaches that if you play the way he ask of you then he is one of your best friends. But if you do not give a 100% every shift or do not play the way he ask of you then you will not play. He does not care if you are the star of the team or not. If you do not try you will not play. He really gets the best out of his players. And Tom is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. I hope he does get a shot to be a coach with the Canes someday.

I would stay away from Wilson. He is a good coach, but he has a knack for saying the wrong things at the wrong time which leads to the team tuning him out. Exactly what happened in San Jose. Like TSA said, he has a short shelve time in regards to being a coach. That is not something we need here. We need a coach that can keep this team listening to him longer than 1.5 years.

I watched the San Jose series last year and after Wilson called out Marleau for not "leading by example" I tuned him out just like the rest of the team did. The tension was so palpable through my tv screen, a smart person could see the team withdraw from playing the game. I blame Wilson for that and we sure as heck don't need that here.

They talked about Laviolette today on NHL live, the radio show. A person from NC called in and asked the guys about Lavi's job security and the job he did this past season. Both people on the show said Lavi did the best he could all year long with the lineup he had available, and that PK and JR would be fools to fire Lavi now. They thought Lavi was a top-5 coach in the NHL, and that if he was let go by Carolina he would immediately become the best head coach available to the teams looking for one. They really like Lavi on that show lol.

I would have to agree with that. Lavi is a very good coach. And for him to even keep the team in the spot they were in with what he had was just remarkable. I hope he does stay.

I just wonder if some type of division developed between Laviolette and the older players this past season. It seems odd that the team would experience that extended slump when the roster was still relatively healthy, but once some of the older players (Brind'Amour, Stillman, Whitney, etc.) were injured or traded the overall play suddenly started to turn around. While I don't have any solid evidence to back the claim up, it just seems a little too odd that a team could lose that much "leadership" on the ice and actually improve. I can't help but wonder if there were some disputes behind the scenes between older players and the coaches.

i missed forslund on xm with espo and tatti yeterday.

did anyone catch it?

Yes. The promo said they were going to talk to Forslund about the Cane's RFAs and UFAs. And they did start talking about UFAs. Phil asked if there were any "must signs" among the Cane's UFAs. Forslund said "no, not really." He added the organization made a statement earlier about who they thought their most important UFA was by re-signing Samsonov. He said, that due to their history with the organization, and JR's brand of loyalty, that Hedican and Wesley will be given ample time to see it they want to come back. He said, if they do, the Cane's would likely work something out. I don't believe any other UFA was discussed.

Then Phil asked about the "rumor" that Lavi may not be back. This topic pretty much chewed up the rest of the time as Forslund explained about PK becoming more involved, about JR's blunt post season assessment, etc. Nothing fans of the team aren't familiar with. Forslund concluded that the organization has not yet made an announcement on Lavi's future with the team, but he said that if it were up to him, Lavi would be back. Tatti and Espo both agreed that Lavi was a good coach and, if he were fired, would immediately move to the top of the list of the best available coaches. They did not get to the RFA topic (which is the one I was most interested to hear :angry: ).

I just wonder if some type of division developed between Laviolette and the older players this past season. It seems odd that the team would experience that extended slump when the roster was still relatively healthy, but once some of the older players (Brind'Amour, Stillman, Whitney, etc.) were injured or traded the overall play suddenly started to turn around. While I don't have any solid evidence to back the claim up, it just seems a little too odd that a team could lose that much "leadership" on the ice and actually improve. I can't help but wonder if there were some disputes behind the scenes between older players and the coaches.

I have to agree with you JJ, makes you wonder if we need to trade our captain and let Young Jedi Staal take the reigns.

Anyone hear anything new? Hopefully we get the yay or nay soon.

My ticket rep told me the "big pow wow" was yesterday afternoon. nothing has been released to the press so far.

Anyone hear anything new? Hopefully we get the yay or nay soon.

In a nutshell, Forslund said that the meeting did take place and they continued to look at all facets of the team. And what happened mid-season is just as important as what happened at the end of the season.

I am glad he is staying on as coach. I think he is a real good coach and did really well with what he had to work with this season.

Woooohooooo! That's GREAT news. The past few days I have been wondering and doing reading about how many teams would want to snatch him up if he went on the market.

Now: Get the D squared away ( looks like Hed's wont be back ). Dump Crackers, officially....

THEN: On to the Cup!

Woooohooooo! That's GREAT news. The past few days I have been wondering and doing reading about how many teams would want to snatch him up if he went on the market.

Now: Get the D squared away ( looks like Hed's wont be back ). Dump Crackers, officially....

THEN: On to the Cup!

it has already been noted in the paper that Crumbs is gone. Contracts in the NHL run from July 1st until June 30th. A club would be stupid to try and trade for him or for us to dump him when he is off the payroll at midnight June 30th (sorry natnat19)!!

What a critical piece of good news. Not only do we keep a great coach, but we also keep his exciting style. I know that some people don't like his overaggressive style (The Tin Cup of NHL coaches, "if you like someone who goes for it, he's your guy") but I had enough of the 5 guys back offense in Raleigh Hockey from Maurice and Kleinendorst to last a lifetime.

I just want everyone to remember this before Ward is being burned at the stake again on here.

I'd never burn him. He has a very tough job. In the Hockey History books, see "Grant Fuhr".