The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
RonnieFranchise

Is Cam Ward Done?

He needed to stop more. The offense was there, scoring 3 and shoveling 46 at the other net including 11-1 in the third. He's not all to blame, but he needs to be more solid than that.

Oh, I'm not saying it's acceptable, I just felt like being a smart aleck and correcting CCRE's hyperbole.

Can't blame it all on Cam. It's time for a defensive overhaul.

Hedican-retire

Wesley-retire

Wallin-trade

Gleason- re-sign

Kaberle-trade

Bring up Casey Borer permanently. Give Brookbank/Conboy a hell of a lot more ice time, they deserve it.

JR needs to sign Aaron Ward and that will fill a big hole

Habs and NJ will be willing to deal solid defensmen for quality forwards over the summer...and yes, get A. Ward back finally.

A breakaway vs Ward = goal. He is terrible against it and everyone in the league knows it. That's why we rarely win a shootout. 4 goals...17 shots? He was horrid last night.

The goalie situtation definate;y needs to be addressed. Cam is not capable of carryng the team for an entire season. I do not know who is available, but other teams, have managed to find some spectacular young goalies, it is time for the Canes to start looking.

This is a typical "after the big loss" thread. Cam sucks, fire Lavi, the D's no good, etc. etc.

I believe that once cooler heads prevail and we look at this season in the rearview mirror, we'll see the missing link was team leadership, and there is no easy solution to that. We can pin the C on Eric but I'm not yet convinced that he's ready for it. I wouldn't be surprised -- and frankly I almost hope -- that Brindy retires, because, and I'm just being brutally honest here, I think that once he hoisted that Cup he felt that he'd achieved all he wanted to in his career. And let me be clear, I don't begrudge him that. But as a franchise, we need to move on.

I've said all along that I don't think Cam Ward is a starting goaltender in this league. I love Cam, but as of right now, he's a very quality back-up, but the consistency you need in a starter isn't there. However, to blame everything on him is extremely unfair. Defensive breakdowns have haunted us all season & the same happened tonight. The addition of Corvo was great & Wesley's play down the stretch was huge, but we need something more. There are just way too many mistakes & breakdowns defensively. Also, the 5-forward PP has given up way too many SH goals this season & it happened again last night. Although Cam should've made that save, it sure would've been nice having someone on the blue line that could skate backwards instead of Cullen to break up that play. Cullen's play on the PP was disappointing last night too, and although I think he's very important to the success of our PP on most night, Lavi should have went in another direction in the 3rd & after seeing his play on the PP in the 1st 2 periods. Getting back to Cam, I think it also hurts that he doesn't have a back-up. I wouldn't put John Grahame in net for my junior hockey team, certainly not for an NHL team trying to make a playoff run. We've got to get rid of his waste of salary & get a quality goaltender.

That is why he should have been pulled after 3 in a game like this, I think it was 3 Goals Allowed on 10 shots? Cmon! A game of this importance?

From what I have seen JG does a good job in playing clean up, but he can't wipe goals off the board no-one can.

Ah that is true, but then again there have been many games where the Canes have gotten 40+ shots on goal, and given up less than 20. I think what I was trying to say was like if they have 3/4 goals on 10 shots in one period or so then he should be lifted. Seeing as they only got 17 shots for the entire game it would have been a bad decision to lift Cam IMO.

This is a typical "after the big loss" thread. Cam sucks, fire Lavi, the D's no good, etc. etc.

I believe that once cooler heads prevail and we look at this season in the rearview mirror, we'll see the missing link was team leadership, and there is no easy solution to that. We can pin the C on Eric but I'm not yet convinced that he's ready for it. I wouldn't be surprised -- and frankly I almost hope -- that Brindy retires, because, and I'm just being brutally honest here, I think that once he hoisted that Cup he felt that he'd achieved all he wanted to in his career. And let me be clear, I don't begrudge him that. But as a franchise, we need to move on.

You hope Brindy retires, but think this team needs leadership? Have you seen this guy's work ethic & dedication, even after winning a Cup? Did you see him play the entire OT period in the season finale last season although the playoffs were out of reach? You won't find a better leader in this league than Rod Brind'Amour. I honestly believe that. He has every leadership quality that Eric Staal does not. I love Eric Staal, but I think he's far from being ready to become the leader of this hockey team. If Brindy & Wesley (I think Wesley will) both retire, you're missing all of your leadership & those are some big shoes to fill.

did you guys not see florida score on two breakaways. is all four goals just cam's fault? when no D men are in between him and a shooter its hard to say. cullen couldnt get back (even tho he is no D man but was at the point) and our guys couldnt get back for the other one either. hard to lay it completely on cam IMO

I also saw the Hurricanes NOT score on two breakaways too. One by Aucoin shortly after the VOCUUUUUUN, VOCUUUUUN, VOCUUUUUUN - YOU SUCK chant.

The numbers rarely lie - Florida, even having to change goaltenders stops 46 of 49 shots. Ward allows 4 goals on 17 shots!

The team sucked overall/ Yeah Cullen sucked on the short-handed goal. But Ward let the team down in a critical game.

Can you spell C H O K E

Can't blame it all on Cam. It's time for a defensive overhaul.

Hedican-retire

Wesley-retire

Wallin-trade

Gleason- re-sign

Kaberle-trade

Bring up Casey Borer permanently. Give Brookbank/Conboy a hell of a lot more ice time, they deserve it.

JR needs to sign Aaron Ward and that will fill a big hole

Wallin has a NTC and has already refused to waive it, trading him is not an option!

There is nothing wrong with Cam being our #1 goal tender, though we seriously need to look at a #2 that can spell him.

Cam picked the wrong night to be average. Here's my take on last night. The Panthers shot and I think got all of their goals blocker side high.

Hopefull, he will be able to get pass this and bounce back, if not for the post season, for next season.

IF it not for Cam and Staal, we would have not been in the mix to possibly make it into the post season and make the run we did.

... Ward allows 4 goals on 17 shots!.....

Do you not read the local papers? It clearly says he made 13 saves :)

Report for re-programming immediately!

Another factor that may need some consideration; has Tommy Brrasso maybe had something to do with Cam's struggles this year? Cam appears to be a sensitive kid at times whose confidence can be shaken, admittedly not a good mindset for a keeper, even if only a seldomly demo'd personal trait. But particularly in his 1-1 foibles (almost a given defeat in shootouts), is there potential that TB might have instilled too much analysis in his assessments/coaching practices? ...rather than being able to just play on feel/instinct/confidence maybe and working on improving those factors rather than the technical sides? Certainly tough to tell for sure from the outside, but I must admit that Cam's levels of inconsistent play and some really horrendous lapses do indeed indicate a glaring demand for some kind of adjustment...

Another factor that may need some consideration; has Tommy Brrasso maybe had something to do with Cam's struggles this year? Cam appears to be a sensitive kid at times whose confidence can be shaken, admittedly not a good mindset for a keeper, even if only a seldomly demo'd personal trait. But particularly in his 1-1 foibles (almost a given defeat in shootouts), is there potential that TB might have instilled too much analysis in his assessments/coaching practices? ...rather than being able to just play on feel/instinct/confidence maybe and working on improving those factors rather than the technical sides? Certainly tough to tell for sure from the outside, but I must admit that Cam's levels of inconsistent play and some really horrendous lapses do indeed indicate a glaring demand for some kind of adjustment...

Ward sucked at shootouts prior to Barrasso being named coach.

Excellent questions, and I've wondered about it, too. I suspect that any new teaching/technique was an initial set back for Cam, e.g., thinking too much and not simply playing. Those new teachings seemed to become more instinctive late in the year - a very positive sign shown in late season improvement.

Wardo is young, and worth the trials and tribulations. In the longer run it will be a major plus (if he remains a Cane in this era of free agency).

Just stop 1 in 10 breakaway goals this season and we would have clinched a week ago.

Young goaltenders struggle and breakaways have clearly been his Achilles Heel. However, to pin it all on him is just silly. You can fill in the blanks with limitless one more somethings, and the Canes would be in the playoffs.

But look at it this way, no Ward means no Cup in 2006. He'll be fine.

Another factor that may need some consideration; has Tommy Barrasso maybe had something to do with Cam's struggles this year? Cam appears to be a sensitive kid at times whose confidence can be shaken, admittedly not a good mindset for a keeper, even if only a seldomly demo'd personal trait. But particularly in his 1-1 foibles (almost a given defeat in shootouts), is there potential that TB might have instilled too much analysis in his assessments/coaching practices? ...rather than being able to just play on feel/instinct/confidence maybe and working on improving those factors rather than the technical sides? Certainly tough to tell for sure from the outside, but I must admit that Cam's levels of inconsistent play and some really horrendous lapses do indeed indicate a glaring demand for some kind of adjustment...

It was a question asked to Forslund on an XM interview. He said that when Barrasso stepped in, Cam's game was technically sound and needed only a few adjustments. He was put through alot last summer with the organization giving him challenges to change many aspects of his life to improve. Then during the season when the Grahame/Leighton/Ward controversy showed up, Forslund said Cam was beat down a bit mentally so Barrasso's #1 goal was getting Cam's head and confidence back to where a goaltender needs to be. I'd say he was quite successful at that and Im sure he will spend the summer and camp working on other technical adjustments.

Another factor that may need some consideration; has Tommy Barrasso maybe had something to do with Cam's struggles this year? Cam appears to be a sensitive kid at times whose confidence can be shaken, admittedly not a good mindset for a keeper, even if only a seldomly demo'd personal trait. But particularly in his 1-1 foibles (almost a given defeat in shootouts), is there potential that TB might have instilled too much analysis in his assessments/coaching practices? ...rather than being able to just play on feel/instinct/confidence maybe and working on improving those factors rather than the technical sides? Certainly tough to tell for sure from the outside, but I must admit that Cam's levels of inconsistent play and some really horrendous lapses do indeed indicate a glaring demand for some kind of adjustment...

It was a question asked to Forslund on an XM interview. He said that when Barrasso stepped in, Cam's game was technically sound and needed only a few adjustments. He was put through alot last summer with the organization giving him challenges to change many aspects of his life to improve. Then during the season when the Grahame/Leighton/Ward controversy showed up, Forslund said Cam was beat down a bit mentally so Barrasso's #1 goal was getting Cam's head and confidence back to where a goaltender needs to be. I'd say he was quite successful at that and Im sure he will spend the summer and camp working on other technical adjustments.

This is clearly the venting thread. Look at all of these repsonses. This is an old topic but a favorite. Who's more at fault for the kind of defensive breakdowns that let us DOMINATE a team and still lose? The defense, the goalie, or the offense not getting back.

In gerneral, I think it is on the defense. None of those Panther goals were soft. Yet somehow when the other side gets golden opportunities, they seem to cash in on them more than we do. I can't say that any of those goals were soft, and Cam stopped a couple of sure goals, yet it just seems that an average NHL starter would have found a way to stop 1 or 2 more of those so clearly Cam had a bad game.

My bottom line opinion is that he is inconsistant. He started the year on fire, he struggled through the middle, and was mostly strong towards the end with a slight let up at the very end. When he was solid, we were a top tier team, when he struggled we were a non-playoff team. I would have been more worried if he hadn't pulled out of his mid season blues. He showed me that he has it in him to at least be middle of the pack good NHL starter, with some upside. No way does he not get the nod next year.

We definitely need to upgrade the defense though. Trade Cole and another forward and get a top tiered defenseman.

You hope Brindy retires, but think this team needs leadership? Have you seen this guy's work ethic & dedication, even after winning a Cup? Did you see him play the entire OT period in the season finale last season although the playoffs were out of reach? You won't find a better leader in this league than Rod Brind'Amour. I honestly believe that. He has every leadership quality that Eric Staal does not. I love Eric Staal, but I think he's far from being ready to become the leader of this hockey team. If Brindy & Wesley (I think Wesley will) both retire, you're missing all of your leadership & those are some big shoes to fill.

Yes I did see that, and I never said he's not a great leader. But I also saw him struggle for most of last year -- which I'll gladly chalk up to a Stanley Cup hangover -- and all of his time this season, which I will not. I'm a long-time Roddy fan and always will be, but I think (1) the team went overboard giving him a five-year deal after the Cup, and (2) he's about out of gas. Which, again, I don't begrudge him. He's been the model of "Whatever it Takes" throughout his career, and unless he comes out really strong next season, I feel like moving on would be the best for both him and the team.

I posted this in another thread, but I figured I would post it here. Everyone wants Cam to be another Brodeur type goalie(except for flopping around like a fish.)

So here is my take. I looked this up and here is the support for it. HE ALREADY IS.....and the stats back it. I didn't count Brodeur's rookie year with only 6 games, but I did count Cam's with the Stanley Cup run. So in both men's first full season. Comparing third year stats. Which stat line is who's??

GP GS MIN W L T OTL EGA GA GAA SA SV SV% SO

69 67 3930 37 25 0 5 3 180 2.75 1870 1690 .904 4

77 75 4433 34 30 12 0 8 173 2.34 1954 1781 .911 6

this thread is nothing short of a train wreck!!! ward had a tough stretch in the second quarter of the season, but how would anyone tell with the defence(i am using that term loosly) that played in front of him this season. when brindamour went down he picked it up and carried this team. for some reason the game plan last night was all offence and lets worry about d later. on all four goals the shooter had time and space to pick corners. having forwards playing points has been a problem for 3 seasons now, goals are gonna happen. ward played a hugh amount at the end, not having a good # 2 would have helped rest cammer at some point. to me he looked wore down and not himself. last night the whole game looked a little scaterbrained, a lot of bouncing pucks, missed passes and the like. this team needs two or three things, 1- a good veteran # 2 goalie. #2- one more d who cam play the point on the power play, #3- some good defensive defencemen. we have enough offence and maybe some tinkering up front to get a little younger. missing the playoffs(if we miss) was a team effort starting with the gm who put it together, to the coach who sets the game plan, to lady luck who decides if your healthy.

I think the defense let us down. Offensively we threw everything at them. We kept allowing that 2 goal lead after we would work so hard to cut it to one. I am miserable that we blew 1st place on the last game of the season and to a team out of it. I hate to say it but Washington deserves to be in more than we did based on their play down the stretch. They won the biggest game of their season and also took care of business against the lesser teams. They got it done we didn't. Do I think they will blow it tonight? No way! Do I wish somehow they would? You betcha!!