The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
RonnieFranchise

Is Cam Ward Done?

Ward does not need to go, BUT he needs to be the #2 goalie next year. He was not consistant with being great last year or this year's season. We need a consistant great goalie in the net. IMO we need to get a number 1 goalie for this team next year with Ward as the #2 so he can grow and then bring him in later as #1. I don't blame Ward for this, he was a honeymoon goalie that was expected from too much too soon after the SC run from this team. If he could have been the number 2 goalie last year's season , he probably would have been a number 1 in this year's season and would have been a great consistant goalie this year. I'm pretty much tired of hearing the excuses all year of his game play. He just wasn't ready for the number 1 role yet, even after the SC run. I however don't think that Graham should have been the number #1, I just wish they hadn't rushed to make Ward #1 after the SC run, I realize there were not a lot of choices and Cap space to keep him and Gerber and some pride issues too. It did however turn out to be a bad decision.

Having said all this, I know this will not be happening due to the Cap and where would we even get this goalie from?

He allowed 4 goals on 16 shots. That's a 25% save percentage. That utterly sucks. Now, I wouldn't get rid of him for one game, but you gotta do something. Scare him, put him in backup position for the start of the 08/09 season. Sign a goaltender that can take more than a backup. Try to have a Irbe/Weekes thing. Two starting caliber goaltenders. Last time that happend, though, it ended in one retiring, and one resigning elsewhere. I certainly agree, however, that something must be done. IMO He blew our last shot at going to the playoffs.

We still blew it numerous times before last nights game, but tonight we needed him, and he wasn't there. We actually didn't need him that bad, with only 16 shots through the first two periods and much of the third, I thought it was sad that he started the third. I've never really like Cam that much, I thought he shouldn't have been bumped up to starter that soon. The way we had Gerber and Ward alternating resulted in a franchise season. Yeah he played insane in the playoffs and won the cup with us in '06, but that was then. We need a goalie that can get us there first. Cam Ward has now failed to do so for the second time. How many seasons are we gonna blow on this guy? The blame isn't all on him, but it is a big portion on him.

I can't see Grahame coming back to Carolina (resigning) next season, because he rarely plays, and look where him benchwarming most games got us. Out of the playoffs and in a horrible draft position. We need to sign a goalie who can take his share of games, and that won't be a whiner when we give Ward his games. I was really disappointed in Cam, because our offense was on fire, and Cam got shown up by a Backup who played in 15 games this season.

Cam needed to be the back up in 2007 and Gerber shoulda been resigned. Cam at this point is ready to be a starter look at the past 25 games.

Can anyone tell me what the difference between the 17 shots the Panthers took and the 45 shots we took? Oh thats right our shots sucked........Panthers were getting breakaways and when they did get a shot off it was not a head on shot, there was passing and movement. The Canes were just throwing pucks at the net, I'll buy the garbage that throwing pucks at the goal will score eventually...........but not often.

Specifically what needs to be noted here is the second Lavi stopped giving Grahame starts and Cam knew the job was his he played exceptional and not only exception but he did that with an AHL defense in front of him at one point.

I agree that we need a quality #2.

But honestly, I am shocked at how quickly you people turn on Cam. When we are winning, Cam is great, when we are losing, Cam sucks. I don't get it. I guess that since the ASB no one else noticed how great Cam played, and how he helped carry the team. Or how Eric Staal stepped up and helped lead this struggling team on such a great run.

I am definitely disappointed to see it all end, but to lay it all on Cam's shoulders is absolutely ridiculous. It takes a whole team to win, and a whole team to lose. Get over it. Move on. Look forward to next season. I know that I am.

In the end, the real point is this. A loss does not rest squarely on the shoulders of the goaltender. It rests on the defense, offense, coaching and management as well. A loss is a TEAM loss. Not a PLAYER loss. Do I think Cam could use some more seasoning? Of course. Do I think we need a stable, reliable back-up? Absolutely. Do I think they will be the answer to our problems? Not a chance. This organization has to make change as a whole. And us fans don't need to point fingers at any one player as the catalyst for the inconsistent performance.

Is he done? Is this topic serious?

Believe me I'm one of the first ones to point out Cam's play for the last two seasons as the biggest reason we haven't been good, but he is still so young. I think Cam was thrown into the fire a little too early in his career, but I do think he has the skill to be a top 5 goalie in the league in the next few seasons.

Seems to me that there's a lot of blame to go around -- Laviolette for playing some players who perhaps shouldn't have been played, defensive breakdowns, and less than spectacular goal-tending by Ward. But, he's played too many games in a row, and the Canes had a lousy schedule these last 3 weeks, with too many back-to-backs. I'm a new fan, and I get the feeling that the Canes are cheap and always have to be on the lookout for good deals. Ward is still clearly growing, but his ability to play well under pressure and his overall good play since the break certainly means he should stay, probably as the #1 goalie again. Next year, perhaps bringing up Leighton and having Ward work on stopping the high stuff will be enough for next season, if the Canes can keep their strong forwards and add some better defense. As for the high shots, certainly seems like the other teams unleash them a lot more than we do. Am I wrong on that, or not?

He's not done. He's only just begun.

Goaltending is a very streaky thing. And much of the skill of goaltending is mental. Cam is far from matured in that respect. His filling in for an ailing Gerber and carrying the Canes the rest of the way landed him the number one spot and all the concomittant pressure - obviously well before he was ready for it. He has been quite inconsistent in the past two seasons - stellar at times and leaving you scratching your head at some of the soft goals that (as Tripp would put it) he wishes he could have back.

Nah, Cam will be a great and consistent goalie within a few years. The only question is how to balance giving him responsibility without overdoing the pressure. One obvious notion is that the Canes need a good backup netminder who can play in the back to back game. Another possibility is to go with a two-goaltender system. It has worked for other teams.

While deep down I'm very disappointed he didn't match Anderson's performance last night, and let in some goals he really needed to make stellar saves against, I realize that he is part of the future of the franchise (along with Staal). The only question mark is how to best manage the maturation process. I'd say the Canes are clearly and indisputably in re-building mode now. The magic of the former cup-winning team is pretty much gone. And I still think JR is the best GM in the league. I'm not going to mention that we won the cup within a decade of getting the team (think about teams like Chicago, St.Louis, Toronto, LA, etc. that either have never won a cup or haven't won it since before most of their fans were born) and we should be happy enough with that. And I'm not gonna talk about the injuries - lots of teams were beseiged by them. The Canes had figured out how to win with Rats and trades. Grahame is most certainly done IMO.

I'm kind of getting over the grief and have to agree with an earlier post that a bad day at the RBC beats a good day at work.

He's not done. He's only just begun.

Goaltending is a very streaky thing. And much of the skill of goaltending is mental. Cam is far from matured in that respect. His filling in for an ailing Gerber and carrying the Canes the rest of the way landed him the number one spot and all the concomittant pressure - obviously well before he was ready for it. He has been quite inconsistent in the past two seasons - stellar at times and leaving you scratching your head at some of the soft goals that (as Tripp would put it) he wishes he could have back.

Nah, Cam will be a great and consistent goalie within a few years. The only question is how to balance giving him responsibility without overdoing the pressure. One obvious notion is that the Canes need a good backup netminder who can play in the back to back game. Another possibility is to go with a two-goaltender system. It has worked for other teams.

While deep down I'm very disappointed he didn't match Anderson's performance last night, and let in some goals he really needed to make stellar saves against, I realize that he is part of the future of the franchise (along with Staal). The only question mark is how to best manage the maturation process. I'd say the Canes are clearly and indisputably in re-building mode now. The magic of the former cup-winning team is pretty much gone. And I still think JR is the best GM in the league. I'm not going to mention that we won the cup within a decade of getting the team (think about teams like Chicago, St.Louis, Toronto, LA, etc. that either have never won a cup or haven't won it since before most of their fans were born) and we should be happy enough with that. And I'm not gonna talk about the injuries - lots of teams were beseiged by them. The Canes had figured out how to win with Rats and trades.

I'm kind of getting over the grief and have to agree with an earlier post that a bad day at the RBC beats a good day at work.

The best post in this thread!

No-one can blame Cam Ward for failing to make the playoffs. I agree that he has had an inconsistant season & that he may well have performed better. I never like to point the finger of blame at anyone, but i believe that John Grahame & Michael Leighton are not goalies worthy of challenging Cam Wards number 1 position. I actually thought that GM Rutherford would've traded for a better back-up to Cam Ward before the deadline. I don't think it helped starting Cam Ward like 20 games on the bounce, in my opinion a starting goalie needs 1 in 5/6 games rested, to keep him fresh. Another thing which didn't help was the lengthy injury list going into the final stretch.

All I can say is WOW! Shoot everybody! Good Lord people, the Canes made one hell of a run despite the odds against them. Did Ward cost us the game Friday, probably. Did Ward secure 2 points on a night when we didn't really deserve it in any other games, definitely. We got very close in an injury plagued season where we shouldn't have been close. I say hats off to the boys on a great effort that came up just short. Congrats to the Caps on a great finish. Pout and stomp your feet if you must, but I'll be back cheering again next season and I hope to see a more seasoned Cam Ward making some of those amazing saves! :rolleyes:

Cam Ward done? What?

A great kid, still learning under the auspices of one of the greatest goalies (Tommy Barrasso). You win as a team and lose as a team. Cam may have been off a little during the Florida game, but you can't pin the results of the whole season on a single player. Cam is a solid goalie, and is still young. He'll get better, and I still am in awe at some of the saves he made this year.

I missed the game due to a flight delay, but from what I saw I'm glad I missed it. I'm kind of mad, but most of all just disappointed that in the biggest game of the last 2 years we couldn't get it done. I don't care where the shots came from Ward should've stopped more than 13 of 17 shots. That's just bad. I think the problem this year came from us just needing a backup to spell Cam when he needs some rest. He's still very young, and he needs someone with veteran leadership from a backup goalie, and someone who can give him some rest and still put the team in a position to win. I don't want to give up on him yet because he was one of the ones who put us in position to get a playoff berth, but this was just a really horrible way to end the season. The team will most likely lose $ by not making the playoffs, and it will really hurt seeing an empty place in the rafters where that Division Champs banner would've gone, and seeing Washington in the playoffs in our spot.

Regardless of how pissed off I am now about not seeing playoff hockey again, I'm still proud of the run this team made this year. With all these injuries it is amazing that we became one of the better teams in hockey over the last 2 months. I can't wait to see what we do next year as we should have most of the injured players back with Ruutu and Samsonov back to help and provide that backup in case we see another run of awful injuries.

I want to see A.Ward back in Hedican's place, Samsonov/Ruutu resigned, and Borer in Wesley's place if Wesley goes. If something doesn't fall into place then I think Cole very well could be shopped for a top notch D-Man, but with our seemingly great depth at forward losing Cole shouldn't hurt us too much even though I would really HATE to lose Erik.

When I think of Ward I seem to think of Josh Beckett on the Boston Red Sox. He was awful in 2006, but showed some promise. With work over the offseason with a great pitching coach in John Farrell, and Curt Schilling he became the defacto Ace of the Sox in 2007. I think we have our John Farrell in Barasso, but we need someone to fill that veteran goalie mode to help guide Cam if we want him to truly fulfill his promise and get us back to the promised land sometime soon.

I could see trading a few forwards and defensemen to upgrade the defense.

Ward? well, you'd have to get someone as good as Pronger for him. And call up the AHL goalie and have that pan out. To do that, you'd need an older established goalie on the staff too. In short, too disruptive, in my opinion. I think JR was a goalie though, so if he wants to get another goalie, let him.

Cam Ward done? What?

A great kid, still learning under the auspices of one of the greatest goalies (Tommy Barrasso). You win as a team and lose as a team. Cam may have been off a little during the Florida game, but you can't pin the results of the whole season on a single player. Cam is a solid goalie, and is still young. He'll get better, and I still am in awe at some of the saves he made this year.

I could not agree more. Lets move on people, I know we are all disappointed that we did not win the Florida game and are not going to the playoffs but we can't dwell on it forever. It was a good run this year.

I am giving nothing but POSITIVE thoughts for next year! LETS GO CANES!

Team Canada's coaching staff obviously didn't watch the Hurricanes final game. I still believe Cam has lost it and we need to trade for a goaltender. I recall saying the same about Kaberle last year before the season and everyone jumped all over me so here we go again.