The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
RonnieFranchise

Is Cam Ward Done?

Team Canada's coaching staff obviously didn't watch the Hurricanes final game. I still believe Cam has lost it and we need to trade for a goaltender. I recall saying the same about Kaberle last year before the season and everyone jumped all over me so here we go again.

You are insane. Trade one of the youngest goalies in the NHL (who is still learing and maturing) for a goalie who probally won't work here. And if you haven't noticed, no one trades thier number one goalie unless they are desperate or stupid (like Florida who is both).

Team Canada's coaching staff obviously didn't watch the Hurricanes final game. I still believe Cam has lost it and we need to trade for a goaltender. I recall saying the same about Kaberle last year before the season and everyone jumped all over me so here we go again.

... and why would you resurrect a thread that hasn't been posted in since early April to say this? :huh:

I like Robs Idea of a two-goalie system, that's where Leighton may fit in properly, for i think it would be a waste having him for a backup Goalie. If we're goin with a #1 Wardo + backup, the backup should be an experienced veteran.

Both possibilties could make it next year, with Leighton up there wouldn't be a new signment necessary as well.

@ topic: Cam isn't done, of course...he's still brilliant out there and he will stay for a long time hopefully!

A trade is out of the question, Ward is still a fantastic prospect with a bright future ahead of him. However, there are still alot of question marks about his ability to sustain throughout the course of a full season. He was spectacular in the '05-'06 playoffs, he was solid at the start of this past season, and he was solid at the end of this past season; but it's all of the time in between those moments of brilliance that leave people frustrated.

With that said, I would agree that a two-goaltender system would probably be the best move this franchise could make at this point in time. However, Leighton should not be that second goaltender. While what he did for Albany was sensational this past year, he is still someone that hasn't had a solid spot on a NHL roster since the '03-'04 season despite numerous stints in the AHL that rival what he did this season for Albany. I would be worried that if he is given the spot as primary back-up or #1B, he'll under-perform and we'll be right back in the same situation we've been in the past two years.

First of all Leighton will be cheap which will give more money to spend on the horrendous Defense issue. I'd rather see what a vamped up D can do in front of Ward before we start a goalie carousel. besides when did Ward do his best? When he started 15-18 games in a row and his safety net of a back up goalie was removed.

The Irbe and Weekes carousel wasn't healthy for the team so why suggest making another carnival ride? The only team I've seen a goalie carousel work is for the Wild and they didnt win the cup. Sure Detroit has Osgood and Hasek this year but honestly...... a fan could be in thier goal and theyd be where the are.

... and why would you resurrect a thread that hasn't been posted in since early April to say this? :huh:

Seconded.... this poor horsie is dead.

First of all Leighton will be cheap which will give more money to spend on the horrendous Defense issue. I'd rather see what a vamped up D can do in front of Ward before we start a goalie carousel. besides when did Ward do his best? When he started 15-18 games in a row and his safety net of a back up goalie was removed.

The Irbe and Weekes carousel wasn't healthy for the team so why suggest making another carnival ride? The only team I've seen a goalie carousel work is for the Wild and they didnt win the cup. Sure Detroit has Osgood and Hasek this year but honestly...... a fan could be in thier goal and theyd be where the are.

While I won't argue that Ward played solid hockey without a back-up goaltender, he was at his absolute best when he had Gerber behind him in the '05-'06 playoffs. With the threat that Gerber could take back over as the #1 goaltender, especially after his shutout in game four against Buffalo, Ward returned to the ice poised and ready for the run that eventually carried the team to the Stanley Cup. That's the Ward this team needs if it wants to return to the playoffs and have a chance at the Stanley Cup.

While it would be nice to see the defense re-vamped in one offseason, it just isn't financially possible. Rutherford has put himself into a position where an overhaul, which is really what is needed, isn't possible for atleast the next two or three years. I do expect to see an offense-for-defense trade occur, but I also expect whatever defenseman is acquired to be more of an offensive defenseman in the mold of Corvo. I just don't see a way in which all the problems on defense can be solved in one offseason, which is why I think the focus should be shifted to the goaltender position.

I don't feel that missing postseason should solely be placed on Cam Ward's shoulders. Hockey is a team effort sport. It takes the whole team to play and it takes the whole team to try to stop the other team. It is Cam's job to stop the on shot goals but it is the rest of the teams job to try and stop them from trying to take their shots at the goal. Remember Cam helped the team win the Stanely in 2006. And everyone said that Cam was great and now that they are not in the playoffs you want him off the team. It doesn't sound to fair to me. You should take the good with the bad when it comes to Cam and honestly he is one of the best goalie the Canes have. I am ashamed that you are not willing to stand by your team and yes I said team because Cam is part of the team, when they lose but you stick by them when they win. If you are a true Cane fan you stick by your team through thick and thin. If you don't want to stick by your team then you shouldn't call yourselves a Cane.

While I won't argue that Ward played solid hockey without a back-up goaltender, he was at his absolute best when he had Gerber behind him in the '05-'06 playoffs. With the threat that Gerber could take back over as the #1 goaltender, especially after his shutout in game four against Buffalo, Ward returned to the ice poised and ready for the run that eventually carried the team to the Stanley Cup. That's the Ward this team needs if it wants to return to the playoffs and have a chance at the Stanley Cup.

I'll have to disagree here. I don't think Ward played well b/c he was threatened about Gerber coming back in. He knew he was the back up goalie and I think he relished the opportunity to play in a playoff game. Not to mention no one was expecting him to put the team on his back and carry them so the pressure was off. I think his outstanding play during the playoffs was more to the fact of his excitement and no one was expecting him to do what he did. He was able to get in there relaxed and was just having fun.

Im not sure why this thread was resurrected either, and accusing folks about their loyalty as a fan becaue they dont agree with a certain opinion is rediculous and pettty. It seems that folks are gonna have to respect that some feel that Ward is the franchise goalie and others feel he's not. Either way, JR has stated that Cam is the #1 guy regardless of what we think so to avoid another great debate thats been re-hashed over and over in several threads already, this thread has officially run its course.

Before you bump an old thread, make sure you have some new and pertinent information to add. Please dont bump old threads just to add your two cents or to resurrect an overdone argument.

Im not sure why this thread was resurrected either, and accusing folks about their loyalty as a fan becaue they dont agree with a certain opinion is rediculous and pettty. It seems that folks are gonna have to respect that some feel that Ward is the franchise goalie and others feel he's not. Either way, JR has stated that Cam is the #1 guy regardless of what we think so to avoid another great debate thats been re-hashed over and over in several threads already, this thread has officially run its course.

Before you bump an old thread, make sure you have some new and pertinent information to add. Please dont bump old threads just to add your two cents or to resurrect an overdone argument.