The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
fromRaleigh

Kristi Yamaguchi on Dancing with the Stars

a lot of professionals(sports/docstors/lawyers, etc) keep their birth/professional names-their fans/clients are used to it. some people are real hung up on names or titles too. for example, I realize that getting a doctors degree is hard and expensive but some people feel way too dependant on their title and it defines their whole existance.

Hey does any one know why she doesn't have Hedicans last name? I always wanted to know that I mean their married was it because that name she always had made her famous. That why she keeped her maiden name instead of having Hedicans last name?

a lot of professionals(sports/docstors/lawyers, etc) keep their birth/professional names-their fans/clients are used to it. some people are real hung up on names or titles too. for example, I realize that getting a doctors degree is hard and expensive but some people feel way too dependant on their title and it defines their whole existance.

First, what a great couple of months of performances from Kristie! Go go girl! I do think she still has that competitive streak!

Okay, speaking from experience, if a person completes their degree and licensure under a specific name and then changes their name (as in marriage), it takes quite a bit of paperwork and effort to go back and get everything changed. It is just easier and more economical to keep the maiden name. Moreover, can you imagine the problem with passports and that level of paperwork! Nah, Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS).

Women can take their spouses name or not. I'm cool either way. I just hate hyphens! I chose to use my maiden name as my middle name and took on my husbands last name. No hyphen. It even says so on my social security card. Another bit of paperwork that has many levels of verifying attached to it. No simple feat.

It is just a name....it's society and old fashioned mores that have the problem with women NOT changing their name.

Move on.

I've only seen articles with the kids having Hedican's name. I saw one ice skating show a couple of years ago where her oldest daughter was asked who was her mommy and she said "Kristi Hedican".

Hey does any one know why she doesn't have Hedicans last name? I always wanted to know that I mean their married was it because that name she always had made her famous. That why she keeped her maiden name instead of having Hedicans last name?

It's just like any actor/actress. They usually keep their maiden name. Kristi Hedican wouldn't mean much to most people unless they were a Canes fan and connected the name where as Kristi Yamaguchi immediately makes you think of the Olympics and to us Canes fans we connect her with Bret Hedican also.