The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Faceoffs win hockey games...

There's been no credible info about Cullen out there. The only thing Ive seen posted was someone here quoting someone else off another board, claiming to have inside info about Cullen. No link, no source....no credebility.

No offense to you Topshelf (we even share the same screen name), but until we hear or read something credible, this is just another "who do want or see playing 3rd line center?"

There's been no credible info about Cullen out there. The only thing Ive seen posted was someone here quoting someone else off another board, claiming to have inside info about Cullen. No link, no source....no credebility.

No offense to you Topshelf (we even share the same screen name), but until we hear or read something credible, this is just another "who do want or see playing 3rd line center?"

No offense taken, TSA, and you're entitled to your opinion. However, I see a looming problem at center and I specifically asked if anyone else does:

"...is anyone else seeing the looming problem at center?"

Even with Brindy in the lineup last year we were weak on faceoffs, so I think it's a legitimate question that goes a little higher than Line 3. I'm assuming I'm entitled to my opinion as well.

I don't see it that way TSA. While he may be wrong about Cullen and Brindamour, he's dead on with the faceoff thing. Yeah, we've got Rod, at least for now. Cullen wins about 50% of his, but gets kicked out of the faceoff circle about 50% of the time as well. Staal can't compete with other 1st line centers, and Aucoin notched at about 30%.

So either Rod's got to share his faceoff secrets, or we're going to have to find a new center.

No offense taken, TSA, and you're entitled to your opinion. However, I see a looming problem at center and I specifically asked if anyone else does:

Even with Brindy in the lineup last year we were weak on faceoffs, so I think it's a legitimate question that goes a little higher than Line 3. I'm assuming I'm entitled to my opinion as well.

I understood it wrong. I thought it was more a thread about Cullen and should have read the title more closely.

My bad, carry on...

I understood it wrong. I thought it was more a thread about Cullen and should have read the title more closely.

My bad, carry on...

Before Rod retires he has to each AT LEAST Staal how to win a draw, teaching the other Centers would be nice but I could see how he wouldnt want to share his secret technique with just anybody.

Cullen was the main faceoff guy after Brindy went down last season and I think he is pretty decent. I cant find any Stats on Sutter's Faceoff % but hopefully he is decent.

I wouldn't necessarily say that faceoffs win hockey games. Pittsburgh was one of the worst faceoff teams in the league, and look where they are now. That said, a faceoff win definitely helps, and that's where I think Stephane Yelle should be signed to be our fourth-line center.

I thought Sutter was supposed to be the guy eventually (and the implication is, he'll be given a real chance to make the team). I would think if Cullen can't come back that the 3rd line center job would be his for the taking, although that would be a huge role to fill for a rookie.

3 or 4 years from now it will be Nick Dodge, but there is plenty of time for you guys to find that out later. He was the key faceoff man at Clarkson.

Before Rod retires he has to each AT LEAST Staal how to win a draw, teaching the other Centers would be nice but I could see how he wouldnt want to share his secret technique with just anybody.

Cullen was the main faceoff guy after Brindy went down last season and I think he is pretty decent. I cant find any Stats on Sutter's Faceoff % but hopefully he is decent.

Maybe someone can answer this: I've been to lots of Hurricane's practices over the years. Hard to say how many, but many dozens for sure. In all those practices, I've seen lots of things like practicing three-on-three scrimmages, working on one timers, shootouts, scrums in front of the net, set plays, power play/penalty kills, etc. However, I have NEVER seen working on face-offs at a Hurricane

Given the dour outlook regarding Cullen's future (see related thread) and my own doubts about Roddy's return (no citations, no links -- just my gut feeling) who do we have to send to the dot and feel confident they'll win a key draw? It's certainly not Staal -- who (by the way) I hope is eating every meal like it's his last over the summer. Guy's a toothpick. I assume he's working hard at getting better in the circle, but is anyone else seeing the looming problem at center?

Rumor has it that Staal has been seen with Victor Conte :lol:

I thought Sutter was supposed to be the guy eventually (and the implication is, he'll be given a real chance to make the team). I would think if Cullen can't come back that the 3rd line center job would be his for the taking, although that would be a huge role to fill for a rookie.

First line center is a huge role for a rookie to fill, 3rd line is preety much where you'd want any rookie to break in without being broke.

First line center is a huge role for a rookie to fill, 3rd line is preety much where you'd want any rookie to break in without being broke.

I dont think the third line center is so much the problem as replacing all the other things that Cullen does. I dont think Sutter is up for that yet but if he can take faceoffs well, they'll find a good spot for him.

I dont think the third line center is so much the problem as replacing all the other things that Cullen does. I dont think Sutter is up for that yet but if he can take faceoffs well, they'll find a good spot for him.

Given the dour outlook regarding Cullen's future (see related thread) and my own doubts about Roddy's return (no citations, no links -- just my gut feeling) who do we have to send to the dot and feel confident they'll win a key draw? It's certainly not Staal -- who (by the way) I hope is eating every meal like it's his last over the summer. Guy's a toothpick. I assume he's working hard at getting better in the circle, but is anyone else seeing the looming problem at center?

Well all of this centers on some serious speculation (sorry for the pun). Cullen was a big part of our success before the concussions and wins a fair number of draws (though he does get kicked out alot, does anyone keep that stat?). Brind'Amour obviosly wins faces offs. But if both of those guys return we will win at least half of our face offs which will put us in the middle of the league.

The real problem if those two can't return, will be the loss of productivity down the middle. Taking the #2 and #3 centers off the team would dramatically change the offense, and suddenly we can't trade for defense, but will need to pick up 2 centers. I'm sure Sutter will eventually become a decent NHL player, but last time I saw him he still looked like a gangly skinny high school kid. Bringing him up now would be a desparate rebuilding kind of move.

Where is the idea that Cullen is done coming from? He does have a long offseason to recover, as does Roddy. Personally, I think they'll both be back.

Cullen won over 56% of his draws, I think thats better than average...its around top 10 or probably top 15 in the league. Rod of course is always top 5, so we have two great faceoff men, whats the problem?

Staal is young, he'll improve, and the 4th line center, whoever it may be, won't be taking many draws.

Cullen won over 56% of his draws, I think thats better than average...its around top 10 or probably top 15 in the league. Rod of course is always top 5, so we have two great faceoff men, whats the problem?

Staal is young, he'll improve, and the 4th line center, whoever it may be, won't be taking many draws.

The problem, as stated multiple times in this topic, is Cullen gets kicked out of the circle more often than he stays in it, and Rod is still a big question mark. Even the 50+ games he played last year, he wasn't the same Brindamour as the previous years.

And Staal's our 1st line center. Not exactly the position you want to wait for to improve.

Do any of you honestly think that Brindy is not coming back? Obviously you don't know him, he will be back! Some face-off talent is learned, most is a gift that only some players have.

Rod's bio facts for 2007-2008 season:

"At the time of his injury, was first in the NHL in face-offs won (851) and face-offs taken (1460) and third in face-off percentage (58.3%)".

I wonder if Kristi Yamaguchi can take a face off? We know she can skate.

Sarcasm Warning

I wonder if Kristi Yamaguchi can take a face off? We know she can skate.

Sarcasm Warning

I agree somewhat with pilige that winning faceoffs can't be taught. There's a definite knack to it, but like any such skill, the more you do it, the better your chances of "getting" it.

When the puck is not won cleanly (which is most of the time), both Brindy and Cullen tend to use their bodies, pivoting one leg or the other into the dot to block their counterpart, much like boxing someone out when defending the hoop in basketball. There was one game, I want to say it was late Jan/early Feb, where it looked like Eric might have "gotten" that down. He won at least three faceoffs with that technique, but the next game it was like, *poof,* it was just a dream.

That body thing might work, but you've got to pick your battles. Staal's going to be taking the faceoffs against the 1st line centers. If he's trying to use the body against someone like Sakic, he's going to be beat every single time. However, if it's someone like Crosby, he could try using the physical style over the finesse style. But in that situation, Crosby may have enough finesse to outduel the body.

The problem, as stated multiple times in this topic, is Cullen gets kicked out of the circle more often than he stays in it, and Rod is still a big question mark. Even the 50+ games he played last year, he wasn't the same Brindamour as the previous years.

And Staal's our 1st line center. Not exactly the position you want to wait for to improve.

I think you are overstating how often Cullen gets kicked out by a wide margin.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app?fetchKey=20082CARSASAll&page=Stats&service=page&sort=totalFaceOffs&viewName=rtssPlayerStats' target="_blank">http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app?fetchKey=2...rtssPlayerStats[/post]

There just aren't any wingers taking enough faceoffs for what you say to be true.

Letowski was pretty good at faceoffs in the last half of the year, and if he is re-signed it would probably as the 4th line center, and with like Hey Hey whatta say said, we have 2 good ones already, and 3 out of 4 is pretty good.