The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
iamafirehazrd

The Defense

great post - I agree with pretty much everything.

I really like Casey Borer and think he is great future defensemen.

I would not be surprised to see an off-season signing of a D man, either. Aaron Ward's name is thrown around a lot - I wouldn't mind him back.

I think Seidenberg is a great player and fits in the system perfectly. I would like to see him be a guy in there every night instead of the 7th man or a guy who is scratched.

Pretty spot on. However, it's quite possible to be an adjustment and an overhaul at the same time. Players have to get adjusted with the potentially new defenseman on the ice, and adjust to his tendencies, but it's also possible that because of this new player and his tendencies, the coach may make an overhaul to how the defense plays as a whole.

Pretty spot on. However, it's quite possible to be an adjustment and an overhaul at the same time. Players have to get adjusted with the potentially new defenseman on the ice, and adjust to his tendencies, but it's also possible that because of this new player and his tendencies, the coach may make an overhaul to how the defense plays as a whole.

True, but the personel isn't going to be drastically different. If the one move is for a true number one shut down player the character of the defense and the roles each guy plays will change, but you're still going to see mostly the same personel.

The biggest chance of change would be if Kaberle is packaged with a forward in a trade, most likely for a new D-man. Corvo, Gleason, and Wallin I don't see going anywhere, so the only one could be Kaberle. Other than that little "what if", I agree totally with what you've posted. The roster is going to have some small tweaks, but nothing major. Which is great. It doesn't need any major changes to be a competitive lineup.

Even if we add just one stud, mean, shutdown d-man, who can play 25 minutes per game, would be a complete overhaul for our porous defence. If we can land two, it would be a dream.

At that point i wouldn't mind to rotate Seidenberg, Wallin, Kaberle or Borer, for that matter, in the press box alongside Tanabe.

Very good post and you pretty much nailed it on the head. As much as we would love an overhaul on our D, it just ain't gonna happen. I think the consensus around is that Corvo and Gleason are the only true keepers, unfortunetly reality must step in.

However, I think if JR can somehow get a stud defenseman to pair with Gleason, that will be better than what we were currently working with.

As much as an overhaul would be liked, I see only one new defenseman stepping in. Unless of course, JR works his magic and is able to unload Kaberle on some sucker GM :P

Even if we add just one stud, mean, shutdown d-man, who can play 25 minutes per game, would be a complete overhaul for our porous defence. If we can land two, it would be a dream.

At that point i wouldn't mind to rotate Seidenberg, Wallin, Kaberle or Borer, for that matter, in the press box alongside Tanabe.

I think management would have to look closely at the possibility of sending Kaberle down to Albany and then having him come back up through re-entry waivers. Kaberle was simply awful this year. Wallin is by all accounts a fine person and has times when he plays quite well (although when goes into mind freeze mode it sends me ballistic). In an ideal world, Wallin would stay in Raleigh over the summer and spend hours reviewing tapes and working out. I doubt that will happen; but one can always hope. Adding two physical shut-down men would be ideal; but one would make an enormous difference. JR is just too smart a hockey person not to see the need to fix the defense as the number 1 priority for 2008-2009. I'd really, really hope to avoid trading Cole to make that happen; but it is also clear that at the moment the Hurricanes have tremendous talent at forward and center.

The only problem i see with your post and i am sure i will get corrected if wrong, i don't think a player on the IR affects the cap or at least if we place him on the long term IR it doesn't. sure we still have to pay him so there are budgetary concerns but no cap concerns.

The only problem i see with your post and i am sure i will get corrected if wrong, i don't think a player on the IR affects the cap or at least if we place him on the long term IR it doesn't. sure we still have to pay him so there are budgetary concerns but no cap concerns.

Here are the rules for long term exemptions from http://www.nhlscap.com/cap_faq.htm#article_50.10' target="_blank">nhlscap.com[/post]

In general IR players count against the

All Player Salary and Bonuses paid to Players on an NHL Active Roster, Injured Reserve or Non Roster that are Unfit to Play

Good post and all valid points. I have few points I want to make.

• Seidenberg has shown a pretty high ceiling on his potential. He should be given the minutes he needs to grow into the defenseman I think most of us agree he can be. I really do not want to see him sit in the pressbox next season at all.
  • As much as I'd like to see Kaberle traded, he did seem to do a lot better in the second half of this season when he was paired with Corvo, even if it is a bit ironic. I always imagined Kabs needed a stay-at-home partner, but honestly he looked the best all year when he was paired with Corvo, who is not a stay-at-home dman. Perhaps these 2 would make a good pair next year and maybe it'll help Kabs rejuvenate his play.
  • Sadly, Tanabe's career is likely over. I thought he was off to a really good start this season, so if he does manage to make a comeback, hopefully he can pick up where he left off. At least his cap hit is a relatively small one.
  • If Wesley does NOT return, I feel we should try to pick up A. Ward or another similar caliber Dman and keep Borer "on call." If Wesley DOES return, don't add any new dmen at all, but bring Borer up full-time.

Signing Aaron Ward FTL.

Trading for Kevin Bieksa/Dan Hamhuis/Ryan Suter FTW!

You really think we could get any of them? I mean, we could probably grab Bieksa, but he's not what we need. The other two are far too valuable to Nashville to trade.

Ward wants to be here, he's got chemistry with the team, and he's a physical force.

If this team signs A. Ward they are doing it as a band-aid move. And a band-aid isn't what the defense needs. To me that would be a sign that in two years this roster is getting blown up and the canes are going to trade away pieces and start a new core.

Hopefully the one move made will be for a younger impact player but we'll have to see what JR's got up his sleeve.

Other quasi-related points I want to add:

• No more 5-forward power plays - too many SHG this season and not enough PP goals to justify it any longer
  • More focus on TEAM defense and backchecking by the forwards.

I mention this because regardless of personnel, these things must improve/change, and they are a part of the team's overall defensive strategy.

Suter's name has been thrown around quite a bit in trade rumors. Most Nashville fans seem to think the Predators can keep either Suter or Weber, not both. Most also think that Weber will be the guy kept around. Nashville has needed depth on offense all season, so Cole for Suter makes sense.

A number of people are throwing A. Ward around as a possible defense acquisition. No question Ward had a good season during the Cup year. Beyond that he was average. I recall him often out of position and while he would could deliver a good check he didn't do it often.

My perspective is that we need a good physical d-man with speed. Hedican used to be that person but his body is not going to allow that any longer. However I believe that Hedican is the "template" defensive player that we want and need. After the All Star break, think about those games in which we showed great speed as well as physical play. No one could touch us.

Let's get some new blood in this place that fits the team JR has built. Kaberle, Wesley and sometimes Wallin are not capable of delivering that style of play on a consistent basis. If the OP is indeed correct in his analysis, we are in for another long, disappointing season.

Kaberle, Wesley and sometimes Wallin are not capable of delivering that style of play on a consistent basis.

:blink::blink: Wesley? How is he not delivering on a consistent basis? Explain... only times I see him not delivering is when he's on the bench or injured...

:blink::blink: Wesley? How is he not delivering on a consistent basis? Explain... only times I see him not delivering is when he's on the bench or injured...

I misspoke Wesley Fan -- I think he does a good job within the limits of his body. He is not fast and he is not physical. I don't think he is the defensive player that fits the type of team JR has built. And, he is 39(?) years old. Don't get me wrong. He has been a great player for this team. I don't think his body and age will let him do the types of things that I believe are essential in a defensive player going forward.

Not to get too much into politics...

"Hillary Clinton, is that you? I mean, you misspeak all the time... ;) "

:lol::lol: Couldn't resist.

Please I just finsihed my dinner. Don't make me sick. Besides if it was Hillary, I would have claimed that Glen Wesley was being fired upon as he arrived at Bosnia airport!

It's one thing to misspeak about something really important such as Canes hockey and another to misspeak/lie about some political BS.

Any way lets get back on track folks. I get what your point was, 248. Glen isn't 20 any more... and I understand that. I think he still makes great plays though. Sure he doesn't have full speed any more, but he pushes himself. Oh, and he is physical; he will get in fights, just group fights. But yes, I understood.

personally I think borer needs to join the team full time and if wes is still around, he should be paired w/ him to continue his apprenticeship :P

If hedican retires, that will open up that roster spot.

I think kabs did a lot better paired up w/ corvo as mentioned, and hes not going to get traded...

Gleason is a no-brainer, he is our top d-man.

so there is wallin, who has a NTC, but it could be waived if the situation arrives, but personally, I don't see it happening.

Really sad for Tanabe w/ his situation, hopefully he will make a recovery, and may even play hockey again, not sure if it will be here or not.

seidenburg is the odd man out as the 7th d / scratch yet again, even though his play doesn't reflect that.

Ideally maybe this is what we will see:

Gleason - Player X ( Wallin waives ntc, traded to team Y along w/ a forward probably)

Wes - Borer

Kabs - Corvo

Iceburg

With that set up technically it would be 3/6 d-men who were not on the roster at the beginning of the season last year. There should be a lot more focus on defense during training camp / offseason like they did for the PP this season.