The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
iamafirehazrd

The Defense

I would be a little worried about bringing in another 35-36 year old D-man, even if he did want to be here. Let's go get somebody who's not a legacy guy.

You really think we could get any of them? I mean, we could probably grab Bieksa, but he's not what we need. The other two are far too valuable to Nashville to trade.

Ward wants to be here, he's got chemistry with the team, and he's a physical force.

JR was on 99.9 this morning and was openly talking about the amount of forwards we had and how they had the assets to trade for defense.

Which is exactly where we are getting our defenseman. The defenseman we need is going to be a hot commodity come July 1st. With us being a small market team and once again loosing money by not making the playoffs, we will be outbid by other teams. Which means the only way to get our Defense is via trade. And very true that we have tons of offense that we need to unload.

JustJoe made a very good point. During the trade deadline there were rumors of Cole to Nashville. Nashville has a glut of defenseman and are in desperate need of offense. Canes have a glut of offense and in desperate need of defense. Looks to be a good trading partner to me. Wouldn't be surprised if both GMs talked around the deadline but wanted to keep both their players for the playoffs and left things in the air for an offseason move.

So as anyone who has been reading the topics since elimination has seen the theme that the Defense needs to be completely overhauled and new players brought in. But frankely I just don't see that happening because of players' contract situations and the Canes budget.

Too long a post to disagree point by point.

There is very little in a business world that would not allow many of these "ironclad" contact issues to be resolved.

If you think we will keep an injured Tanabe on the salary cap payroll or he will be cleared by July that is just crazy. I pray he can recover but that is not in the teams hands.

Cap space is not limited to just the D. trading away space at the forward position is very likely.

We will see what happens but I expect There will be fairly dramatic changes.

Just my opinion.

If you think we will keep an injured Tanabe on the salary cap payroll or he will be cleared by July that is just crazy. I pray he can recover but that is not in the teams hands.

If Tanabe is not healthy by July the team can not buy him out by league rules.

From the N&O http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/index.php/canes?title=clarification_on_tanabe&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1' target="_blank">Link[/post]

Clarification on Tanabe

Today's story on David Tanabe's injury situation was unclear on one point. The league's collective bargaining agreement prohibits contract buyouts due to injury.

So if the Canes wanted to buy out his contract for $600,000, Tanabe would have to be cleared to play by July 1. Otherwise, the Canes would have to pay him the full $900,000 he's owed. That wouldn't count against the salary cap, but the Canes would have to pay it.

It is widely known that we have to fix the defense (JR, John Forslund). It has been widely chronicalled in these pages that Kaberle is the weakest link followed closely by Wallin and Hedican. Wesley is such a phenominal positional player that he continues to defy his age. Hedican is not under contract, so he should be easy. However, just letting Hedican retire or go elsewhere is NOT ENOUGH. If this ends up being the fix, I will be very tempted to throw in the towel on this team, and change my adoration level for JR.

Kaberle must go. Somehow, some way. Likely he will be a throw-in on a trade to unload salary. A true overhaul must include a way to say goodbye to Wallin also, but I can live with Wallin if Hedican and Kaberle are replaced with solid NHL caliber first 2 (puck mover) and a first 4 defenseman (stay at home/shut down). Wallin could then compete with Borer for the 7th spot. Thus a "major shake-up" would be acceptable vs. an overhaul.

Gleason-#1 D.man (Cole trade)

Corvo-#2 shut down dman

Seidenberg-Wesley

Borer(Wallin)

I keep Wes if he can go again. If not for age he would be by far our best defenseman, and he still has the positional sense to make up for his elderliness. If Wes is gone, put Borer (prefered) and or Wallin up there.

I tell you I would give Wallin a short leash. If he is not cutting it, consider cutting him.

If more than one of Kaberle, Wallin, and Hedican are on our opening day roster......not even a shake up was done, and it will be a long season. That won't happen though.

Kaberele has a hook on him and JR is busy hooking him to forwards to see who will leave as a pair. Dumping Kabs is the key. That opens TWO spots for replacements.

Trade one or even two forwards to get these dmen, and unload at least Kaberle in that deal. We may just be stuck with NTC Wallin, but we can hide one marginal dman, or press box him, but not three.

Hmm..i read this thread really interested. Here in Germany, i lack the possibities of really gettin into the system...i can't follow the AHL/other minor leagues, as well as there aren't too much Games shown on TV...

But when i try to think about...what about Conboy? Or maybe Babchuk? Maybe one of you guys could consider, as I can't really get an impression of their play over here in germany.

the Canes budget.... That isn't an overhaul, that is an adjustment.

Words I have been keying in on FireHazard!

PK: Get with the game Free up some money and move up YOUR CAP!

Words I have been keying in on FireHazard!

PK: Get with the game Free up some money and move up YOUR CAP!

I decided to look at the cap # the canes had in comparison to the league. Car is 15th in the league here is the list of play off teas and rank

1.Philly

2. Bos

3. NYR

4. Ana

7. Dal

11.Col

12.Min

13. Calgary

14. Det

16. Ott

17. Mon

18. NJD

21. Pitt

26. Was

27 SJS

30. Nash

Teams that missed

5. edm

6.Chi

8. Tor

9. STL

10. Van

15. Car

So in the top 10 only half made the playoffs. There is no real rhyme or reason for $$ determining playoffs. Now look at the coaches for each team and thats where I think you will see the biggest differences.

Hmm..i read this thread really interested. Here in Germany, i lack the possibities of really gettin into the system...i can't follow the AHL/other minor leagues, as well as there aren't too much Games shown on TV...

But when i try to think about...what about Conboy? Or maybe Babchuk? Maybe one of you guys could consider, as I can't really get an impression of their play over here in germany.

Babchuk is a wild card, in my opinion, as most seem to assume he will never return to the Hurricanes. The fact that the Hurricanes chose to retain him last season, he was a restricted free agent, even though they knew he wouldn't play for them that season shows that someone in the front office values him. I wouldn't be too surprised to see him atleast given an opportunity. If he doesn't impress in training camp, trade him or release him and there isn't any harm done.

Babchuk is a wild card, in my opinion, as most seem to assume he will never return to the Hurricanes. The fact that the Hurricanes chose to retain him last season, he was a restricted free agent, even though they knew he wouldn't play for them that season shows that someone in the front office values him. I wouldn't be too surprised to see him atleast given an opportunity. If he doesn't impress in training camp, trade him or release him and there isn't any harm done.

I doubt he will come back to training camp, though he did do very well in the Russian league this past season. I dont think anyone in this organization really wants him enough to put up with his attitude problems, so hopefully we can find someone who will trade for him and let them deal with him. If not we probably will not re-sign him, who knows he may just not even come back to the NHL.

i have no idea why babchuk would come back...so lets just leave him out of it. i only see a new d man really coming in for cole if hedican and wesley retire. if one stays, the who the heck knows, im not a GM thank god.

Rutheford dropped the first domino by re-signing Sampsonov. We now clealry have too many top 9 forwards even if one puts Chad LaRose back on the 4th line, where he belongs. There WILL be a forward for top D trade. The only thing that would change that would be a forward for goalie trade. I predict that Rutherford will find a way to lose Wallin or Kaberle and Hedican will retire or play elsewhere. At least 2 more new defensemen will be in the line up next year. Of course, I could be wrong.

Rutheford dropped the first domino by re-signing Sampsonov. We now clealry have too many top 9 forwards even if one puts Chad LaRose back on the 4th line, where he belongs. There WILL be a forward for top D trade. The only thing that would change that would be a forward for goalie trade. I predict that Rutherford will find a way to lose Wallin or Kaberle and Hedican will retire or play elsewhere. At least 2 more new defensemen will be in the line up next year. Of course, I could be wrong.

There is another possibility for the forward trade that will most likely happen; a trade for a pick.

Hedican is a non entity. His contract is up and there are no options like last season for him to exercise and it'll be between him and JR as to whether he's offered another year. Even with as well as him and Gleason played together, and with Hedican's injury history, I highly doubt JR will take a risk with him for another year. No discredit to Hedican because when he's healthy, he can still skate better than most dmen out there but the problem is he doesnt stay stay healthy for long periods of time and I dont think anyone in the front office could stomach another injury ridden season with him.

I wish him the best of luck with whatever he decides to do at this point of his career and will always remember his first game at the RBC center as a Hurricane. Both him and Kevyn Adams were the first players I'd seen in a long time who I thought could actually keep up and skate with Sami Kapanen. He was a big part of the 2002 run and a huge part of the Cup win in 2006. He committed 6 1/2 seasons to this francise and started his family right here in Raleigh. Im sure he will have a soft spot for NC just as we will have one for him wherever he winds up. Its too bad he wasnt given the proper send off.

Now if he does get signed by some odd chance, please disregard the above paragraph ;)

Hedican is a non entity. His contract is up and there are no options like last season for him to exercise and it'll be between him and JR as to whether he's offered another year. Even with as well as him and Gleason played together, and with Hedican's injury history, I highly doubt JR will take a risk with him for another year. No discredit to Hedican because when he's healthy, he can still skate better than most dmen out there but the problem is he doesnt stay stay healthy for long periods of time and I dont think anyone in the front office could stomach another injury ridden season with him.

I wish him the best of luck with whatever he decides to do at this point of his career and will always remember his first game at the RBC center as a Hurricane. Both him and Kevyn Adams were the first players I'd seen in a long time who I thought could actually keep up and skate with Sami Kapanen. He was a big part of the 2002 run and a huge part of the Cup win in 2006. He committed 6 1/2 seasons to this francise and started his family right here in Raleigh. Im sure he will have a soft spot for NC just as we will have one for him wherever he winds up. Its too bad he wasnt given the proper send off.

Now if he does get signed by some odd chance, please disregard the above paragraph ;)

<snip>

I wish him (Hedican) the best of luck with whatever he decides to do at this point of his career and will always remember his first game at the RBC center as a Hurricane. Both him and Kevyn Adams were the first players I'd seen in a long time who I thought could actually keep up and skate with Sami Kapanen. He was a big part of the 2002 run and a huge part of the Cup win in 2006. He committed 6 1/2 seasons to this francise and started his family right here in Raleigh. Im sure he will have a soft spot for NC just as we will have one for him wherever he winds up. Its too bad he wasnt given the proper send off.

Very nice post. Very respectful of a man who contributed greatly to the Canes and the community. :D Thanks for doing this.

To reiterate what some of you have said, I really want to give Borer a chance. I was at his first Canes game and he stopped a 2 on 1 like it was nothing. It was BEA-U-TIFUL. Very impressed! And then the guy scores a goal for us! But getting someone with some size would be just as desirable! We play our best when we push the other team around a lil. JR said something to the effect of wanting to get a bigger team. Hopefully this will happen.

There is another possibility for the forward trade that will most likely happen; a trade for a pick.

I seriously doubt that. Well, perhaps a secondary deal for a pick, we do have enough forwards to do this also. But the big deal will be a forward for a defenseman. At least it better be. It is clear that we need an upgrade on the blue line by how much Corvo added to our run at the end, that and how weak our defense has been for oh, two years. Rutherford has pretty much said it, but doesn't want to advertise his position, though it should be clear to other GMs. The big forward for big D man WILL happen. Of course I could be wrong.

how about willie mitchell in vancouver? solid shutdown man, god knows vancouver is itching for offense [cole].

the canes need to start to develope their young talent and stop trading for older guys, as much as i'd love to see him stay at Wisconsin, McBain could really be the future on the D line and he had a great NCAA tourney. I hope he doesn't go and I think the canes would have signed him already so he could play in the playoffs for the river rats this season but the young players in your system need to start their developing ala chicago and pittsburgh...

I seriously doubt that. Well, perhaps a secondary deal for a pick, we do have enough forwards to do this also. But the big deal will be a forward for a defenseman. At least it better be. It is clear that we need an upgrade on the blue line by how much Corvo added to our run at the end, that and how weak our defense has been for oh, two years. Rutherford has pretty much said it, but doesn't want to advertise his position, though it should be clear to other GMs. The big forward for big D man WILL happen. Of course I could be wrong.

It is no more unlikely than your idea of a goaltender trade. The obvious move is defense and anything other than that will be unlikely.

The defense has always been the team's weakest link, it was the reason the talking heads always gave that the canes wouldn't win the cup in 06. The difference now is the changing style of play means the canes aren't scoring 3.49 goals a game like they did when they won it all but are scoring 3.05 a game now. The reason Corvo added so much is that he allowed the offense to get moving easier leading to more scoring oportunites. I assume by "big D-man" you mean big time d-man, and not just big size wise, because physical isn't what the team needs on defense. The team needs a complete player (you know one of those guys who can play on the powerplay and the pk) on defefense, which it is lacking because everyone of the guys currently on the team has at least one downside. Gleason could develop into a complete guy but as of this point his offensive production isn't there.

At this point all we can do is wait for the playoffs to end and see who JR deals.

It is no more unlikely than your idea of a goaltender trade. The obvious move is defense and anything other than that will be unlikely. T

The defense has always been the team's weakest link, it was the reason the talking heads always gave that the canes wouldn't win the cup in 06. The difference now is the changing style of play means the canes aren't scoring 3.49 goals a game like they did when they won it all but are scoring 3.05 a game now. The reason Corvo added so much is that he allowed the offense to get moving easier leading to more scoring oportunites. I assume by "big D-man" you mean big time d-man, and not just big size wise, because physical isn't what the team needs on defense. The team needs a complete player (you know one of those guys who can play on the powerplay and the pk) on defefense, which it is lacking because everyone of the guys currently on the team has at least one downside. Gleason could develop into a complete guy but as of this point his offensive production isn't there.

At this point all we can do is wait for the playoffs to end and see who JR deals.

Well the goaltender trade would be a forward for a relatively big name back up, not goalie for goalie. But I'm not really thinking that will happen any more than a trade for a pick. The trade of a forward for a defenseman is the obvious move, which will happen. We will get at least a mid range 1st round pick this year and have Sutter growing in the wings. I just don't see us trading a top named forward for a pick, maybe a defenseman plus a pick.

Yes I mean a big time defenseman. A legit top 2 defenseman who can move the puck. That would be worth trading, oh, Cole, for. That would improve the team dramatically. Rutherford clearly reads these boards since he went and signed Sammy per our request. So it is only a matter of time before he honors this request.