The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
iamafirehazrd

The Defense

I still say give Erik Cole one more year...Well we should definately give him to the deadline. He has so much potential..still...if he finally gets his game together...every night..who knows how good him and Staal could be together.

The Staal in that sentence brings up another key, key point....Staal and Cole have so much chemistry...everyone knows how close they are...so if we piss off Staal, by trading cole, he could walk after the season to a big market club. I know he is restricted, but i dont believe JR would retain him if..oh, Edmenton, throws a rediculous amount of money at him.

It would be far to big of a loss to give up Cole and see him finally turn into that player we want him to be...that player we know he could be.

I strongly believe we should trade Walker or Whitney with Kabs and/or Wallin for a defenseman.

Or, maybe, Walker and Kaberle for a 2nd or third round pick at least. Walker could be a salary dump because we have ofther forwards that are better than him that can fill his role (Sutter, Larose, Ruutu).

Everyone on here knows young teams (Chicago, L.A.), would love to add Scotty Walker for his gritty, veteran play...and throw in kaberle, and just ask for a pick.

I still say give Erik Cole one more year...Well we should definately give him to the deadline. He has so much potential..still...if he finally gets his game together...every night..who knows how good him and Staal could be together.

The Staal in that sentence brings up another key, key point....Staal and Cole have so much chemistry...everyone knows how close they are...so if we piss off Staal, by trading cole, he could walk after the season to a big market club. I know he is restricted, but i dont believe JR would retain him if..oh, Edmenton, throws a rediculous amount of money at him.

It would be far to big of a loss to give up Cole and see him finally turn into that player we want him to be...that player we know he could be.

I really think you're overestimating Cole here. I can't really see how a guy at the age of 30 can have potential. He is already past his prime, and as far as his potential, its gone. He has already hit his peak, and Brooks Orpik made sure he wouldn't stay there long.

For me, all Erik Cole is is trade bait for us to land that top tier d-man.

I really think you're overestimating Cole here. I can't really see how a guy at the age of 30 can have potential. He is already past his prime, and as far as his potential, its gone. He has already hit his peak, and Brooks Orpik made sure he wouldn't stay there long.

For me, all Erik Cole is is trade bait for us to land that top tier d-man.

By that logic then Samsonov is past his prime (He will be 30 by the time the season starts). I wouldn't mind packaging Larose and Letowski for a D man.

By that logic then Samsonov is past his prime (He will be 30 by the time the season starts). I wouldn't mind packaging Larose and Letowski for a D man.

Would you really say Samsonov has potential? No. And is he past his prime? Yes. Packaging Letowski and Larose won't get us anywhere near the top tier d-man we need.

Would you really say Samsonov has potential? No. And is he past his prime? Yes. Packaging Letowski and Larose won't get us anywhere near the top tier d-man we need.

So if he is past his prime and has no potential why the 3 year deal for what 8 mill? Top Teir D for those two no but you will get a solid top 4 guy.

So if he is past his prime and has no potential why the 3 year deal for what 8 mill? Top Teir D for those two no but you will get a solid top 4 guy.

Letowski's set to become a UFA and LaRose an RFA. If anyone wanted them, they could make an offer and not have to trade.

its hard to throw out the "potential" card for erik cole at 29 years old. i love him, but considering his trade value compared to his actual skill set, he's the perfect guy to ship out. we are in desperate need of defensive help.

I am a big trade Cole guy, but I totally get the "potential" comment. In fact the only way we get value for Cole is if another GM sees his potential, because we are going to get squadoosh if they go by his recent production. Just two years ago Eric Cole had 59 points in 60 games including 30 goals (which were nearly all in 5 on 5 play). If he had not been injured and had kept on that pace he would have finished with over 80 points and 42 goals. Basically what Eric Staal did this year. Since the injury, however, he has not been the same player. His "potential" is that he recover his post injury form. If he does this he will be an elite player.

So why trade him? First, we have too many talented forwards. As much as I would love to get a top defenseman by packaging a few marginal players (LaRose, Letowski), no GM would make that trade, unless Forrest Gump is GMing somewhere. And even if you could pull of the steal of a century we would be left with 10+ top nine forwards who will not play on the 4th line. We need to move a top forward since we just signed Sampsonov.

Second, he his in the last year of his contract. If he continues to struggle, well then we don't want him. If he has a breakout year, he will require huge money to keep and we will probably lose him and get nothing in return.

Third, he may be part of the "sick of Lavi can't get fully up for the game" old guard that played a role in our mid-season malaise (speculation, but he certainly didn't produce), thus should be cleared for new fired up blood.

Finally, and this gets back to the potential thing, if another GM sees the potential and wants to take a chance on the reemergence of the pre-injury Cole, he is the one guy who we could trade that might actually bring the big time dman that we really need.

If a change of scenery brings back the pre-injury cup year Cole, then someone will get a heck of a player. I would only trade him for a legitimate NHL top pair defenseman. If not then keep him and trade Whitney or another top 9 guy. But if we could get this top dman, then it would be a good move.

I sure hope it changes dramatically in the stats column. If not it will be another short season.

This is just the craziest reason not to trade Cole. I know Cole and Staal are good friends, but seriously Staal will understand if it makes sense for the team. Do you think Staal would rather miss the playoffs every year to keep Cole or would Staal rather make the playoffs b/c Cole gave us a stud defenseman. Ask Staal and I bet he'll take the later.

Cole was on XM a few days after the Ladd trade. He mentioned how Staal was upset b/c Staal and Ladd were best friends off the ice. But one practice with Ruutu, Staal said to Cole "I like this guy, he is perfect for this team". So I would think that Staal would understand if Cole was traded.

Besides people overvalue Cole to Staal way too much. I think Cole benefitted from playing with Stillman more than Staal benefits from playing with Cole. All you have to do is look at the 2006 playoffs.

And Staal leaving b/c Cole got traded is just crazy as well. He knows he is the future captain, the franchise player of this team. He will be here for along time regardless whether or not Cole is.

Is it just me or is this thread too much on offense and not much on defense? :huh:

Plus, seems like it's going in too many circles.... :wacko::wacko:

Agreed- defense often gets overlooked and you see where that got us last season LOL

Cole is our number 1 piece right now to acquire a D man. It would be nice if we could package Cole and Kaberle for a struggling top d-man and a prospect that isn't too far up. You know, maybe there are a few other prospects that are ready for the NHL or are still in line, and this one is just middle of this pack, but could maybe do well here.

I'm not picky, am I? :lol:

Is it just me or is this thread too much on offense and not much on defense? :huh:

Plus, seems like it's going in too many circles.... :wacko::wacko:

offense keeps coming up because we need to send off offense to bring back the defense, so along with discussing who we'd like on our blueline, its rational to discuss how we're going to do it. hence the cole trade value discussion.

What about Pronger?

trade an O for him. The Whalers had him, and I read something about him getting in a fight and being traded. Well, hey, get him back.

I love Pronger and have a vintage Whaler jersey with his number on it

but Pronger would eat too much cap to get him, nice though though

heck the Whalers/Canes have never had a franchise D man in their prime when playing for them

Coffey past his prime, Pronger before his prime

Jeff Brown past his prime etc.

What about Pronger?

trade an O for him. The Whalers had him, and I read something about him getting in a fight and being traded. Well, hey, get him back.

Ewww no Pronger. It would be really hard cheering for the Canes with that *edit* on the team.

Ewww no Pronger. It would be really hard cheering for the Canes with that *edit* on the team.

agreed. plus i dont think he's worth the money that hes getting. he doesnt get much love from fans around here anyways.

I believe we should bring in Jay Mckee from St. Louis. He is great defensively and blocks alot of shots. His salary is exactly the same as Cole's and St. Louis was looking to trade him for offensive help. Kaberle has to go, we should be able to get a third or fourth line winger in return. This would leave our D looking something like this.

Corvo with Mckee

Hedican or Tanabe with Gleason

Wesley or Borer with Wallin or Sidenberg

I believe we should bring in Jay Mckee from St. Louis. He is great defensively and blocks alot of shots. His salary is exactly the same as Cole's and St. Louis was looking to trade him for offensive help. Kaberle has to go, we should be able to get a third or fourth line winger in return. This would leave our D looking something like this.

Corvo with Mckee

Forgot to mention that Corvo should be given some Al Macinnis footage to watch and learn from over the summer. That guy came into the NHL with a great shot and developed into a great defenseman as well.

Corvo with Mckee

I can all but guarantee you neither of them will be playing for the Hurricanes next year. Hedican will be let go so we can get younger at the back end, and Tanabe's career pretty much appears to be over thanks to the concussion he received against Toronto. McKee's not a bad idea though. How old is he and how many years does he have on his contract?

I can all but guarantee you neither of them will be playing for the Hurricanes next year. Hedican will be let go so we can get younger at the back end, and Tanabe's career pretty much appears to be over thanks to the concussion he received against Toronto. McKee's not a bad idea though. How old is he and how many years does he have on his contract?

Mckee is thirty and has two years remaining I believe. I will be sad to see Hedican go as I am pretty sure our record was dreadful with him out of the lineup. He played Laviolette's transitional style like no other D man we had.

These guys are pretty young UFA's who had a small salary last year, so it probably wont take a very large offer to convince them to com here.

David Hale-UFA-Calgary

26 years old, 6'2" 215lbs, this year 58 GP only 2 Assists, but has an Even +/-

Made .590 million last season

Doug Janik-UFA-Tampa Bay

27 yrs old, 6'2" 209lbs, this year 61 GP 4 pts, with a -3

Made .475 last season

Cant remember seeing either of them play too much, but neither of them played a lot of games. Maybe we could give them a chance?

These guys are pretty young UFA's who had a small salary last year, so it probably wont take a very large offer to convince them to com here.

David Hale-UFA-Calgary

26 years old, 6'2" 215lbs, this year 58 GP only 2 Assists, but has an Even +/-

Made .590 million last season

Doug Janik-UFA-Tampa Bay

27 yrs old, 6'2" 209lbs, this year 61 GP 4 pts, with a -3

Made .475 last season

Cant remember seeing either of them play too much, but neither of them played a lot of games. Maybe we could give them a chance?

David Hale... that name sounds familiar.. did we once have him in our system?

EDIT: ah, nvm it was Cale Hulse i was thinking of