The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
iamafirehazrd

The Defense

I would say the ammunition is there to make this defense better. Use either Cole or Whitney to find a defenseman through a trade and find another one in free agency. Personally, I think the team will look at Barret Jackman in St. Louis and John-Michael Liles in free agency.

Barrett Jackman was a good prospect and then he got injured and was out for quite a while. Don't know for sure, but I read somewhere (can't remember now) that he wasn't the same. Loved using him in NHL games though. :)

He had a down year statistically last season, but he's been a solid defensive defenseman throughout his career for St. Louis. Twice in the span of five years he finished with a +/- ratio at or above +20, the last time was last season. Looks like he was injured in the '03-'04 season, but his statistics in '06-'07 would indicate that it didn't affect him very much.

These guys are pretty young UFA's who had a small salary last year, so it probably wont take a very large offer to convince them to com here.

David Hale-UFA-Calgary

26 years old, 6'2" 215lbs, this year 58 GP only 2 Assists, but has an Even +/-

Made .590 million last season

Doug Janik-UFA-Tampa Bay

27 yrs old, 6'2" 209lbs, this year 61 GP 4 pts, with a -3

Made .475 last season

Cant remember seeing either of them play too much, but neither of them played a lot of games. Maybe we could give them a chance?

Hm...I think this wouldn't be the way to go. We don't lack Defensemen who are worth "getting a chance"...Borer, Conboy, Seidenberg...as Gleason is as well a young guy making a good job. But: Especially with Glenn and Heddy possibly retirering, we lack of strong experienced defensemen that we can rely on. In addition, it would be very important for the young guns to improve by that experience.

I really love Eric Cole, and I'd love to keep him here, but if that's what it takes to make an impact change, he should be traded for a veteran top defenseman. Maybe, as I hope, there's another possibility to do so, whether picking a free agent or find another one for the trade...maybe Whitney, or even a couple of young guns, but that's up to JR. Which of I am sure: If there's fine way of keeping Eric Cole and still do an impact to our defense, JR will surely do so.

What about Pronger?

trade an O for him. The Whalers had him, and I read something about him getting in a fight and being traded. Well, hey, get him back.

I would not want Pronger on this team ever. He gets suspended far too much for my taste. I think he's a fairly dirty player despite his numbers, and I just don't think that kind of play would sit well with our coaches. We strive to have a bit more integrity than that, IMO.

Too lazy to read all of this thread to see if it's been talked about but.....

Now that the Burins season is over, does Aaron Ward get a call from Jimmy Rutherford?

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Rutherford made a little phone call to Aaron to test the waters. He does like to bring ex-players back. And since Aaron had a good track record here, still owns a house here, and has said on numerous occasions that he wouldn't mind being back here, I don't see why not.

Now that the Bruins season is over, does Aaron Ward get a call from Jimmy Rutherford?

he does like to recycle players

Maybe today would be a good day to call considering it is Earth Day :P

Post of the week :)

Now that the Bruins season is over, does Aaron Ward get a call from Jimmy Rutherford?

he does like to recycle players

Maybe today would be a good day to call considering it is Earth Day :P

Post of the week :)

You would have to add the other post so it would make sense.

:lol: Got it when I read the addition in TSA post. I'm in the Aaron Ward camp. Boston might could use another good forward. We may have to wait until a few more teams are eliminated before we see a Dman deal going down.

A little off the subject but I wonder how the Caps are going to fare keeping their team together. We think a quality Dman is our saving solution, what do the Caps need? They seemed happy as a team but that assumption is baseless.

I have been considering a few things that could happen to our defense.

How about this

Gleason: resigned to a 3-5 year, affordable deal.

Seidenberg-resigned 1 year

Borer- finally called up

Corvo-staying

Jordan Leopold-He has struggled since he has been in Colorado, still young, 27, and has one more year on his contract at a cheap 1.5 million. I think We could trade Walker and Kabs or Wallin to get him.

Then we could hope to have one or two of the following: Stuart, Liles, Commodore, Ward, Hainsey, or Salvador.

signed to a 2-3 year deals no more than 2.5 million per.

Its possible. It would be very good, and Cheap. We could trade Walker, Kaberle, and Wallin to Colorado for Liles and Leopold.

I have been considering a few things that could happen to our defense.

How about this

Gleason: resigned to a 3-5 year, affordable deal.

Seidenberg-resigned 1 year

Borer- finally called up

Corvo-staying

Jordan Leopold-He has struggled since he has been in Colorado, still young, 27, and has one more year on his contract at a cheap 1.5 million. I think We could trade Walker and Kabs or Wallin to get him.

Then we could hope to have one or two of the following: Stuart, Liles, Commodore, Ward, Hainsey, or Salvador.

signed to a 2-3 year deals no more than 2.5 million per.

Its possible. It would be very good, and Cheap. We could trade Walker, Kaberle, and Wallin to Colorado for Liles and Leopold.

No for two reasons.

1 - Walker's got a NTC

2 - Even if he were to waive it, Walker + below average players won't get you Liles and Leopold.

In reality, we should try and grab someone from Nashville, preferabley Suter. He's already stated that he's not staying in Nashville if the coach stays, and the coach was just signed to an extension. We could actually use Walker, who's got big connections in Nashville, to try and convince one of the d-men there to come here.

Do we have a source about Ryan Suter wanting out if Trotz is the coach??? He'd be a great fit here!

Btw, correct me if im wrong, but Suter is RFA, isnt he? If so, we could just sign him w/o making a trade, although RFA signings in the league have been scarce to my knowledge. Any opinions?

IMO, Cole will be traded to Nashville for Suter. Suter isnt happy there and the fans have been riding him very hard due to his play of late. Suter wont cost too much. I think JR has learned his lesson on not signing a Dman and I could guess a good dman will be signed(not named Ward). Campbell or Jackman would be the preferred. Campbell will probably cost to 4-5 mil though. I think it would be affordable if Cole is traded.

Gleason-Campbell

Corvo-Suter

Wallin-Kaberle

Seids and Albany in the wings would be great.

IMO, Cole will be traded to Nashville for Suter. Suter isnt happy there and the fans have been riding him very hard due to his play of late. Suter wont cost too much. I think JR has learned his lesson on not signing a Dman and I could guess a good dman will be signed(not named Ward). Campbell or Jackman would be the preferred. Campbell will probably cost to 4-5 mil though. I think it would be affordable if Cole is traded.

Gleason-Campbell

Corvo-Suter

Wallin-Kaberle

Seids and Albany in the wings would be great.

Jackman already re-signed with St. Louis. There probably wouldn't even be room for Campbell even if both Wallin and Kaberle were moved (which they won't be). I'd guess that Campbell will get 6+ million.

I don't think Nashville will do Cole for Suter. Suter is 23, already a Top 4 guy and has top-pairing potential, while Cole will be 30 and is a UFA next summer. It would be like us moving Gleason for one year of Erik Cole, only worse.

We need to keep Cole.

I would love to keep walker and whitney...but i dont think we can afford it.

We have to dump Kaberle...and Wallin.

Dont want to see anyone go, but if someone has to it should probably be Cole. He is actually the most expensive of the 3 you mentioned at 4 mil. He would also probably bring us the most back alone, though Whitney could potentially get some back too.

Doubt any teams will want Kaberle, but you never know we could get lucky. Wallin has a NTC but once his contract ends he might retire then, or we could just not resign him.

Dont want to see anyone go, but if someone has to it should probably be Cole. He is actually the most expensive of the 3 you mentioned at 4 mil. He would also probably bring us the most back alone, though Whitney could potentially get some back too.

Doubt any teams will want Kaberle, but you never know we could get lucky. Wallin has a NTC but once his contract ends he might retire then, or we could just not resign him.

Do you consider Erik Cole is 30, not 37 or 35 (Whitney then Walker), and actually plays decently...sometimes exceptionally well (unlike Wallin & Kabs)....?

We move Kaberle and Wallin: Frees up 3.875 million...so not enough difference than 4 million

We move Kaberle and Whitney: Frees up 5.75 million (more than 4)

Id rather see Whitney and Kaberle go, even if we dont get anything other than...say Leopold or a couple picks.

I think we would take a couple pucks for Kaberle and Wallin.

Im just trying to say, it makes more sense to trade Whitney and Kaberle than Cole and Kaberle.

It makes more sense for us, yes, but makes much less sense for the other team. Throwing in Kaberle will reduce the value of the trade for the other team, therefore reducing what we get in return. His salary doesn't help matters either. Cole looks more attractive to other teams because of his speed and relative youth (when compared to Whitney at least) and because of what everyone knows he is capable of doing. And saying that we need to get rid of Wallin is a no brainer, although he will not trade his NTC.