The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
iamafirehazrd

The Defense

I don't think Nashville will do Cole for Suter. Suter is 23, already a Top 4 guy and has top-pairing potential, while Cole will be 30 and is a UFA next summer. It would be like us moving Gleason for one year of Erik Cole, only worse.

I think this is the key point to any potential deal and it's why I've started to view Whitney as the more possible pawn in any trade that does happen. I don't think there is a team in the NHL that would give up a young, NHL-ready defenseman for a player that could potentially leave their team at the end of the year. Any deal that involved Cole would likely resemble a trade deadline deal where picks and/or prospects are all the Hurricanes get in return.

I think Nashville would be committed to keeping him if they make a trade with him. They are talking about how Nashville's owner is willing to bump the salary up a lot and the Preds will make the biggest jump of payroll than any other team.

From the N & O:

Rutherford said he's also continuing to explore options for retooling Carolina's defense with Glen Wesley and Bret Hedican considering retirement, although neither has made a decision.

Frantisek Kaberle's shoulder surgery, meanwhile, has been deemed a success, and he should be 100 percent for training camp. Kaberle was scheduled for surgery after the season and underwent the procedure last week.

From the N & O:

Rutherford said he's also continuing to explore options for retooling Carolina's defense with Glen Wesley and Bret Hedican considering retirement, although neither has made a decision.

Frantisek Kaberle's shoulder surgery, meanwhile, has been deemed a success, and he should be 100 percent for training camp. Kaberle was scheduled for surgery after the season and underwent the procedure last week.

From the N & O:

lets hope so.

Trade Whitney/Cole (preferably Whitney), This year`s # 1, Kaberle and a Prospect if needed to Chicago for Cam Barker, and Duncan Keith.

Gleason-Keith

Corvo-Barker

Borer-Seidenberg

Wallin (theres nothing to do about him)

Trade Whitney/Cole (preferably Whitney), This year`s # 1, Kaberle and a Prospect if needed to Chicago for Cam Barker, and Duncan Keith.

Gleason-Keith

Corvo-Barker

Borer-Seidenberg

Wallin (theres nothing to do about him)

We'd only be able to get one of Keith or Barker for that package you listed

I'm still all for trading Cole/Whitney + Kaberle to an offense-starved team like Vancouver or Nashville for one of Kevin Bieksa or Ryan Suter (the latter wants out of Nashville, evidently.)

We'd only be able to get one of Keith or Barker for that package you listed

I'm still all for trading Cole/Whitney + Kaberle to an offense-starved team like Vancouver or Nashville for one of Kevin Bieksa or Ryan Suter (the latter wants out of Nashville, evidently.)

We could probably get Barker for Whitney straight up. Barker needs a change of scenery, and he has one more year on his contract for a little less than a million and is a RFA after. It would be nice to package Kaberle with him.

Beiska is a little to expensive i think.

Keep cole, trade Whitney, Kaberle, and hopefully Wallin or Hamilton, and Cut tanabe.

We can always hold cole until the deadline.

I think chicago would take our #1, Babin/Roddney, and Wallin for Barker.

Then we can pull off the Whitney/Kaberle trade for another defenseman (suter).

We could probably get Barker for Whitney straight up. Barker needs a change of scenery, and he has one more year on his contract for a little less than a million and is a RFA after. It would be nice to package Kaberle with him.

Beiska is a little to expensive i think.

Keep cole, trade Whitney, Kaberle, and hopefully Wallin or Hamilton, and Cut tanabe.

We can always hold cole until the deadline.

I think chicago would take our #1, Babin/Roddney, and Wallin for Barker.

Then we can pull off the Whitney/Kaberle trade for another defenseman (suter).

First of all, we're not trading our 1st round pick. We're stressed enough for prospects as it is, and trading away our draft picks or our prospects is not going to help the future.

Second of all, no one wants Wallin, no one wants Hamilton. You're essentially asking the Chicago GM "Hey, want to take this addition 2 million to your cap hit?", which of course is going to be answered negatively. I would say no one wants Kaberle, because let's face it, he's done nothing offensively for the past two years, but there's always a chance some GM would be desperate for him.

Right now, Cole's our best trading chip. We could probably get Cole for Suter straight up, possibley get Cole for Suter+ depending on how much hardball JR plays.

Signing Aaron Ward FTL.

Trading for Kevin Bieksa/Dan Hamhuis/Ryan Suter FTW!

You really think we could get any of them? I mean, we could probably grab Bieksa, but he's not what we need. The other two are far too valuable to Nashville to trade.

Ward wants to be here, he's got chemistry with the team, and he's a physical force.

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere else, but Aaron Ward is now off the table for Carolina (if he was ever a consideration) as he just signed a multi-year extension with Boston.

We could probably get Barker for Whitney straight up.

Hey, Chicago guy, I've got a deal for you...

You take this quality 36 year old winger. Sure he's in the last few years of his career, but he's still got a year or 2 left in him...

In return, you give us your 22 year old 3RD OVERALL draft choice, who's going to be a quality defenceman for the next decade or 2.

Sound good?

:huh:

Maybe if we get the Chicago GM REALLY drunk beforehand...

Well, one thing to await still is the draft, there are really interesting and, I think, NHL-Ready Defensemen....especially I'm thinkin of Luke Schenn. This Guy brings a ton of experience for his young age, and a tough physical play. Also mention Alex Pietrangelo, or Tyler Myers, that surely could be worth a try, even right away to the NHL.

However, I think Luke Schenn would be the best choice, if we at least can get it with the 14th pick, and he could take one of the open D slots. If, in addition, Wesley would decide to make it at least one more year, there wouldn't be changin' that much more within the defense lineup i guess.

"If Campbell hits the open market, the Devils won't be the only team on his trail.

The Philadelphia Flyers, New York Rangers, Chicago Blackhawks and Carolina Hurricanes are expected to go after him. "

What about that, would be awesome to have him(imo)

"If Campbell hits the open market, the Devils won't be the only team on his trail.

The Philadelphia Flyers, New York Rangers, Chicago Blackhawks and Carolina Hurricanes are expected to go after him. "

What about that, would be awesome to have him(imo)

We might go after him, but we will be priced out real quick going up with Philly and Rangers. I wouldn't get any hopes up with Campbell. Besides I don't think he is worth what he is going to get paid for disappearing in the playoffs.

Well, one thing to await still is the draft, there are really interesting and, I think, NHL-Ready Defensemen....especially I'm thinkin of Luke Schenn. This Guy brings a ton of experience for his young age, and a tough physical play. Also mention Alex Pietrangelo, or Tyler Myers, that surely could be worth a try, even right away to the NHL.

However, I think Luke Schenn would be the best choice, if we at least can get it with the 14th pick, and he could take one of the open D slots. If, in addition, Wesley would decide to make it at least one more year, there wouldn't be changin' that much more within the defense lineup i guess.

Both Pietrangelo and Schenn will most likely be off the board by pick #10, so I would say there is a 0.05% chance either one is available at #14. Tyler Myers is probably the prospect the team has the best opportunity to draft, but most scouts view him as the biggest risk/reward player in the entire draft. He is also a player that will need the time in junior hockey and the AHL to develop.

The prospect that has caught my eye thus far has been Colton Teubert. He has already drawn comparisons to players like Adam Foote, Chris Pronger, and Robyn Regehr. If he even reaches half of that potential, he'll still be a valuable addition to the defense in two of three years.