The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
kastagir

Parking Going Up

Heard yesterday from a ticket rep that the cost of parking is going to be $10 this year for those that are not full season and prepay for parking. Makes the $7 per game more worth it than paying $7 instead of $8.

This is still cheaper than every other place I have seen any other sporting event at, so I'm not complaining, though I am a little unhappy about it. No one likes to see prices go up, but we need to stay competitive to get our revenue sharing.

or the $25 per event at Walnut Creek for premier parking. or the $7 per ticket to park in regular lots.

or the $25 per event at Walnut Creek for premier parking. or the $7 per ticket to park in regular lots.

I love how they miss the playoffs then jack up prices on everything. I wouldn't be surprised to see a drop in attendance. I know for me, I bought a 24-game plan last year, but I won't be able to afford to take the 26-game route this season. After you add in $10 to park, the ridiculous amount it costs me to drive from Roxboro to Raleigh & the increase in ticket prices, I just can't afford it. Parking alone is an extra $260 beyond your ticket price a season for 26 games now. It costs me about $35 to commute now. That's $910 for 26 games. Thats $1170 before I even consider how much my game plan would cost. With people already buying less due to the outrageous cost of fuel, it was not a smart decision to raise prices so much, especially considering you have missed the playoffs the last 2 seasons.

If I understand correctly, that means you have to be a full STH to be eligible for pre-paid parking, right? I thought they offered that to the second tier plans (26 games, 24 last year) as well. The STH renewal package wasn't very clear about that...

I'm not sure if the pre paid parking is available for the 26 game plans or not, but I renewed my full season plan and there was an order form in my packet for the parking tickets.

I'm not sure if the pre paid parking is available for the 26 game plans or not, but I renewed my full season plan and there was an order form in my packet for the parking tickets.

Yes Prepaid is also for 26 game MP. I signed up for it.

I love how they miss the playoffs then jack up prices on everything. I wouldn't be surprised to see a drop in attendance. I know for me, I bought a 24-game plan last year, but I won't be able to afford to take the 26-game route this season. After you add in $10 to park, the ridiculous amount it costs me to drive from Roxboro to Raleigh & the increase in ticket prices, I just can't afford it. Parking alone is an extra $260 beyond your ticket price a season for 26 games now. It costs me about $35 to commute now. That's $910 for 26 games. Thats $1170 before I even consider how much my game plan would cost. With people already buying less due to the outrageous cost of fuel, it was not a smart decision to raise prices so much, especially considering you have missed the playoffs the last 2 seasons.

1) your not in this alone

2) it won't stop me from going

3) i traded in the mega truck for a small suv with a four banger to reduce gas cost

4) you knew they would increase prices eventually (they have to show growth in both attendance and revenue to qualify for the millions in revenue sharing).

As of right now, I teach in Knightdale and live in Oxford. I either have to meet my wife or go home and get her for games. I'm working on trying to find people to carpool or share parking with for next year. I might even try to get a job there so I park for free and even watch the game (as an usher) for free. Don't know how that will work out, but there are options out there.

As of right now, I teach in Knightdale and live in Oxford. I either have to meet my wife or go home and get her for games. I'm working on trying to find people to carpool or share parking with for next year. I might even try to get a job there so I park for free and even watch the game (as an usher) for free. Don't know how that will work out, but there are options out there.

There are ALWAYS options.

Wow! The drive from Roxboro to the RBC Center is about 100 miles round trip. Assuming you are paying $4 per gallon for gas like the rest of us and it costs you $35 to commute to games. You get a little over 11 mpg. Sounds to me like you need to stop driving a gas guzzler.

Or you can just keep whining an not go to games.

Or you can just keep whining an not go to games.

Are you serious?

It has gotten to the point where, for some people, it's no longer cost effective to go to games. In case you haven't noticed, the economy is a little different now than it was this time last season. The organization failed to take this into account and even made things worse by raising prices.

Perhaps instead of complaining about other people "whining," you would be better served in helping him (and others) by convincing the organization they are going in the wrong direction. That way, maybe the trend of more and more people canceling and reducing their plans each year can be stopped before it leads to something that might make even YOU complain -- the relocation of the team.

Are we seriously going through this discussion again. I think everyone has said how they've felt in the last thread we had about prices like 2 weeks ago. Some people are fine with it some are not. Whining complaining and arguing about it isn't going to change the prices.

Are you serious?

It has gotten to the point where, for some people, it's no longer cost effective to go to games. In case you haven't noticed, the economy is a little different now than it was this time last season. The organization failed to take this into account and even made things worse by raising prices.

Perhaps instead of complaining about other people "whining," you would be better served in helping him (and others) by convincing the organization they are going in the wrong direction. That way, maybe the trend of more and more people canceling and reducing their plans each year can be stopped before it leads to something that might make even YOU complain -- the relocation of the team.

We are still the cheapest ticket in hockey!! And everything is going up including cost for the Hurricanes organization, they don't get any better break on gas or jet fuel than we do. Too many folks on this forum have gotten use to this being the cheapest ticket in hockey that they whine when prices have to go up. It is the cost of doing business.

I love the mentality of people here. When it happens to somebody else, oh well, sucks for them.

But that's ok. Everybody just bend over and let the org do what they want. They will continue to do so, and in a few years when there are no more STH's (except for the die-hard GFH apologists that seem to run rampant on this board), maybe they will rethink things. But I doubt it.

I love the mentality of people here. When it happens to somebody else, oh well, sucks for them.

But that's ok. Everybody just bend over and let the org do what they want. They will continue to do so, and in a few years when there are no more STH's (except for the die-hard GFH apologists that seem to run rampant on this board), maybe they will rethink things. But I doubt it.

Excellent analogy for supply and demand. My crystal ball does not work as well as yours though.

So applying your business model then the organization should just man-up and accept a $20mil loss (or put an inferior product on the ice or both) so that they can roll back ticket prices to a price point you can afford!

Yes, because it's only happening to "somebody else". The higher ticket prices and parking costs only affect some people. Did it ever occur to you that no one's happy about the higher prices, but some people realize that it a necessity to keep the team around here?

You've got the most backward logic I've seen here. Or you're living in some idealogical world, where everything should remain the same it is, despite the organization losing money.

Perhaps instead of complaining about other people "whining," you would be better served in helping him (and others) by convincing the organization they are going in the wrong direction.

I've seen the light. I'm typing my e-mail to Pete Karmanos right now!

Do you think we are the only team that raised ticket prices? Every team has raised prices for next year. Don't believe me, go to other team's boards. When our prices got raised, I went nosing around and found that every team has raised prices. Every fanbase has to deal with raising ticket prices, it wasn't just the Canes who rasied their prices.

EDIT: darn I said I was done with this whole price argument and here I am. I'm done for sure now.

Even if prices had stayed the same, the season ticket base would have gotten smaller. The team didn't do enough in 07/08 to attract new fans, and the current economy has undoubtedly pushed hockey from necessity to luxury for a good number of people.

With the ticket prices increase, mini-plan investment increase, parking increase, and the usual (I'm guessing) concessions price increase.. it's sticker shock city for a large number of people. Even on this board, which has a much higher percentage of die-hard fans that the Triangle itself, I am seeing a repeated mention of a need to split season tickets due to cost.

The team has no control of the local economy. They do have control over their expenses and the revenues.. and they have chosen to keep the former where it was, and attempt to increase the latter enough to qualify for 'NHLfare'. They seem to be unable to attract corporate sponsorship, and so a lot of the bill is being delivered to the individual fans. I certainly don't blame anyone for re-evaluating their monetary commitment; just as the team does not consider itself bound to make things easy for the fans, the fans are not bound to mindlessly pay whatever the team asks.

I personally would be happy to pay $15 for parking, if they'd hire a traffic engineer to plan the exit routes, and enough attendants actually working to keep traffic moving.

Are we seriously going through this discussion again. I think everyone has said how they've felt in the last thread we had about prices like 2 weeks ago. Some people are fine with it some are not. Whining complaining and arguing about it isn't going to change the prices.

No, its an old argument that already has a whole thread devoted to it where both sides of the argument will just have to agree to disagree. Everyone has different levels of spending and priorities and we all need to just respect that.